Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u]

Comments

• Reply 121 of 267
    cameronj wrote: »
    It was an obvious enough copy of antennagate that he figured nobody would be so out of it that they would have to ask ;)

Well I thought it was obvious enough. I guess this means there might be a job for me at Consumer Reports. I didn't realize my writing was that convincing.
  • Reply 122 of 267

Quote:

The tongue-in-cheek "#Scuffgate" is a callback to the iPhone 4's "antennagate" controversy which saw the then-new handset ship with an antenna design flaw that affected cellular performance.

Actually it's callback to Watergate with Richard Nixon, which has lead to everything involving any scandal having 'gate' attached to it. The media and people used this for "antennagate" of the iPhone 4 as it has for numerous other scandals over the two-three decades.

• Reply 123 of 267
    *I was replying to the comment about someone returning a iPad multiple times because of display problems.

I returned one iPad 3,the screen had yellow and pink blotches. Many of the store displays did as well, harder to see in the bright light with screen display at max. Heck, the kids iPad 2's have better, brighter and more even backlighting.

Apple uses high quality, high tech components, that doesn't mean that occasionally shitty and defective stuff doesn't sneak out the factory door.

I have had stuff anodized before, but never black or white. Unless there is something unusually different about these colors, perhaps the colors are being deposited too thin on the sharp corners of the phone. Maybe they are using a new vendor. Ultimately, this should be no different than the anodizing done on the iPod nanos. I would be willing to lay odds that Apples out of the box defect rate is on par or better than the rest of the industry.

Glass back=Easier breakage but harder to scratch.
    Aluminum back=more resistance to breakage but easier to scratch.
    Both are premium products wit some drawbacks, would you rather have plastic crap?
  • Reply 124 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Sorry, no.  I still think the kind of flaws I've seen online today are pathetically small and do not merit the hubbub that has happened today.

So it is ok to get a scuffed expensive BMW car out of the box, or it's ok to get scratched new iPad. That's nonsense. 

• Reply 125 of 267
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    souliisoul wrote: »
    Before jumping on the apple consumer, majority flaws are seen out the box and not after 'wear and tear' as you have expressed. Apple followers expect near prefect, it is the standard that Steve, Tim and Apple employees have set to ensure superior quality and innovation.
    Do not call us drama-queens, because Steve would have apologised, If he felt the quality is not near prefect.
    I do agree the flaws are low in numbers, but you can not tell me as Apple fan, you wouldn't be little upset to see your new iPhone is less than prefect. You have every right too has a individual.
    That's why we have return/replacemenr policies, second to no other company.

Steve would have apologised? Is this the same Steve who told you you were holding your phone wrong? And I don't remember Steve apologising for the cracked cases on the G4 cube.

It seems to me that a lot of Apple fans have chosen to forget a lot of the daft things Steve did.

Let's also not forget that he also made the single greatest error of judgement in Apple's history: putting Schmidt on his board of directors. If he hadn't done then they wouldn't be fighting Android for market share and spending millions in litigation against Samsung. If he hadn't done that then we wouldn't be sitting through of MapGate right now.

Yes, Steve was the best CEO in recent history, but he wasn't perfect.

One more thing:

If you've ever met a real, non-OCD, normal Apple user who isn't influenced by every post she reads on the Internet, then you might notice that they're not concerned with scratches and bumps. She even uses the scratches and bumps to spot her phone on a lunch table littered with them.

But most people will just put the damn thing in case.

#storminateacupgate
    #actuallystevewouldhaveallowedthis
  • Reply 126 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Sorry, no.  I still think the kind of flaws I've seen online today are pathetically small and do not merit the hubbub that has happened today.

This gouge is as wide as the mute switch.

A BMW is roughly 36 times the length of the height of an iPhone. A 2mm gouge x 36 = 72 mm. Would a 72mm gouge on a BMW be viewed as "pathetically small"? A US quarter is  24 mm in diameter.

• Reply 127 of 267
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Actually the Moto RAZR is thinner except for the hump on top.

I think you measure at the thickest point.
  • Reply 128 of 267
    So... people were freaking about the glass back, so Apple switched to aluminum... surprise, it isn't as hard as glass, and if you run it with sandpaper it scratches...
    A better comparison would be doing the same with 4-5 leading phones... Android, WinPhone, or whatever...
    The difference is that if your "crappy" Android phone gets scratched you can replace the back cover for a couple of bucks off eBay...
  • Reply 129 of 267
    andrey wrote: »
    Put it into gel skin and chill.
    But then it won't be the "World's thinnest smartphone" any more...
  • Reply 130 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

One drop in a jean's pocket with coins/keys or a woman's purse and you'll get the exact same thing!  I can understand one paying a pretty penny for a nice phone, but come on people!  Why do people expect absolute perfection?  It doesn't exist in nature, yet you demand that in a mass-produced product?

Bring your "perfect" product after using it in a week and lets compare.

Jeez, I can understand an obvious flaw, damage, etc... but the kind of "scuffs" seen in this picture is borderline drama-queen.

My "perfect" product will remain perfect, because it went out of the box and straight into a case, with a Zagg screen protector installed.

As for your snark, though you might not be one of them, many expect a brand new and flawless product when they pay a brand new and flawless price. A ding is understandable, as long as a proportionate discount is applied.

• Reply 131 of 267
    yep, looks like I'll stick with my 4S for another year.
  • Reply 132 of 267
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cameronj wrote: »
    It was an obvious enough copy of antennagate that he figured nobody would be so out of it that they would have to ask ;)
    But it's consumer reports so anything is believable with them....
  • Reply 133 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

My "perfect" product will remain perfect, because it went out of the box and straight into a case, with a Zagg screen protector installed.

As for your snark, though you might not be one of them, many expect a brand new and flawless product when they pay a brand new and flawless price. A ding is understandable, as long as a proportionate discount is applied.

Yeah these people are stupid because they want their devices without scratches, nicks or scuffs out of the box. They should expect that because there is nothing perfect. 

• Reply 134 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Yeah these people are stupid because they want their devices without scratches, nicks or scuffs out of the box. They should expect that because there is nothing perfect. 

• Reply 135 of 267
    A little BBQ Grill Krylon paint by Apple and it'll be all ready for the Apple Refurb section of the store.
  • Reply 136 of 267

Check this out.. This should get me a replacement I'm thinking, as it would actually affect the image optic quality. Would like some second opinions on this please. 

It looks like a faded scuff.. but I noticed, it's on the INSIDE of the lens cover. Or it could even be within the cover. Let me know what you guys think..

• Reply 137 of 267
    drakehoe wrote: »
    Check this out.. This should get me a replacement I'm thinking, as it would actually affect the image optic quality. Would like some second opinions on this please.
    Have you actually taken a photo?
  • Reply 138 of 267
    This isn't the first time this has happened...

iPhone 4's and 4s's with yellow screens
    iPhone 4's with scratches on the inside of the glass

This is early in the production run for the iPhone 5 - these manufacturing flaws will lessen over time.
  • Reply 139 of 267
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakehoe View Post

It looks like a faded scuff.. but I noticed, it's on the INSIDE of the lens cover. Or it could even be within the cover. Let me know what you guys think.

Ouch!

• Reply 140 of 267
    I found this bit of news on a german Apple fan page. I don't know how reliable that website is and cannot confirm if this news tidbit is actually true, nor can I confirm its validity, but I thought I'd share it here nonetheless - this is a rough translation from german into english:

"When calling the Apple hotline I was told that the iPhone 5 devices with scuffs and scratches come from one specific batch and will be replaced by Apple. The problem is known to the company and apparently stems from a defective production machine. The affected devices can be identified based on their serial numbers, and only these faulty devices are eligible for return and exchange. As an alternative, a discount from the Apple hotline is offered. If you can live with the scratch or damage, this is a great way to save some money."

Link to source (in german):
    http://www.appdated.de/2012/09/iphone-5-scuffgate-kunden-berichten-uber-kratzer-nur-eine-charge-betroffen/