Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 267
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is this for real or did you forget the /s tag?

It was an obvious enough copy of antennagate that he figured nobody would be so out of it that they would have to ask ;)

• Reply 82 of 267

• Reply 83 of 267

Metal scratches metal? Let the riots begin! Next we'll learn that diamonds scratch plastic. Oh, the humanity!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

• Reply 84 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Only at the carriers. If you return a product at Apple and exchange it you are getting a new retail item. Only the carriers make you take a refurb (and reserve the right to not tell you that it is)

At the Bar you get new or remanufactured, but the latter means they might have reused a functioning display or such. But the battery and storage are new

LOL

So wait, you only get a refurb at the carriers, not at Apple, where you get a new product, or actually they may give you a refurb. 

Good explanation. image

• Reply 85 of 267

Got mine today and sure enough, a little scuff on the bottom.

Not that big of deal, but certainly not business as usual for Apple.

• Reply 86 of 267
    When a GSIII comes scratched and scuffed cuz the idiots who make it can't keep up with their 16 children and their job, is it called "scuff gate". El nopè.Toodaloos..
  • Reply 87 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why in the world would you put your phone with your keys?! I guess I just don't get that.

But no, I'm saying it has been hit, been bumped, been scraped with metal, even, and nothing has happened to the case like that.

I was thinking that same thing!  If you just laid down some serious coin for that phone, I would think you would treat it with respect and at the very least have a case for it.  By the same token though, if I laid down serious coin for the iPhone 5, I would expect it to be perfect when I got it.  However, I would have to weigh just how much I want that small nick gone with standing in line at an Apple Store or waiting until new stock came in.  If it could be something easily touched up with a Sharpie, I would probably let it slide. 

• Reply 88 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Translation: the Moto RAZR is thinner except for the part that's not.

Exactly.  Why would someone write a sentence like that?  It's one thing to deny the truth to yourself and leave it out of the post. But to actually say thinner except for this part.  Duh!

• Reply 89 of 267

Quality Control does not exist in China, nor will it ever.  Thats why we get the phone so cheap... If it was made in USA/ Germany/ Swiss  it'll cost about 1200.00   However, it will be made in factories that have quality control 

• Reply 90 of 267
    Good to know it isn't just me. Nothing major, just a small scuff at the bottom edge of the left side frame, and a couple of tiny marks (might be adhesive residue) where the metal back meets the glass at the top.

Not a deal breaker, but I am so spoiled by the quality control on all my previous iPhones (I've owned them all) that these small flaws stood out. When a device is sold at a premium and marketed as almost a piece of fine jewelry, I don't think it's too much to ask that the fit and finish be flawless. I think things are slipping a bit from the days of Steve.
  • Reply 91 of 267

Originally Posted by sataryst View Post

Quality Control does not exist in China, nor will it ever.

And right off the bat, a blatant lie. Poor start.

• Reply 92 of 267

You're all missing the point that this is the first time it has happened with iPhones.  Apple has set the expectation that our iPhones will be perfect out of the box (aesthetically), and these iPhone 5's are falling short.  My iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks were flawless when I took them out of the box.  That's the whole point of buying them new.  If you want one scratched up, save some money and buy it on eBay.

To the person who mentioned that even BMW's aren't perfect - if one of the wheels on your brand new $70,000+ BMW came with a scratch in it, you would have the dealer replace it.  No doubt about it.

• Reply 93 of 267

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

You're all missing the point that this is the first time it has happened with iPhones.  Apple has set the expectation that our iPhones will be perfect out of the box (aesthetically), and these iPhone 5's are falling short.  My iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks were flawless when I took them out of the box.  That's the whole point of buying them new.  If you want one scratched up, save some money and buy it on eBay.

There are people who will return their Apple Keyboards because a key is slightly tilted. There's expecting quality and then there's OCD.

• Reply 94 of 267
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    desuserign wrote: »
    I'd be annoyed if my expensive "object of desire" (whatever it might be) was nicked or blemished out of the box. But truthfully, when I saw the keynote introducing the iP5, I thought, "Aluminum? This will be a problem." Aluminum works pretty well for a laptop, but a phone? Who in their right mind would make a phone, meant to be stowed in your pocket or purse, from highly machined and polished aluminum? It's crazy. Even my Apple Remote (cast, machined, and anodized Aluminum) got beat up pretty quickly.

The phone looks nice and I love the internal and software improvements, but I think almost anyone would prefer something a little heavier or thicker that's designed to hold it's looks for more than a day. Stainless is th obvious choice in my mind. Apple designers always seem to forget that change for the sake of change is neither good design nor innovation. This is a classic Apple design mistake which they make every few years. Call it "Apple Hockey Puck Mouse Syndrome." (Actually, in that case it was Steve who insisted on the ridiculously stupid design of the "Hockey Puck Mouse.")

I predict machined and polished aluminum will not be a lasting trend for Apple mobile devices.

So true.

Plastic is the way to go for anything mobile. Good thing brand new cars are built out of plastic; I...myself...couldn't stand having the slightest scratch on my brand new car. I'd rather have it kinda breaking apart six months into warranty than spoiling the magic and pageantry of delivery day.

It reminds me so much about my own story. When I was born, I was so good looking that people all around fought like crazy to change my diapers. I deeply felt their love, ...until they witnessed the red spot on my belly. It ruined everything...I can tell you now. All this beautiful symmetry of body and giggling smile could not offset their new found repugnance at a child's belly. And now people hate me as though I were nothing but a blind spot on their love agenda.

I tell you, buy yourself a six month reprieve on your misery, ...invest, as you obviously already do with cars, washing machines, and tooth decay, ...in scratch-proof, show-room plasticity...!
  • Reply 95 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

To the person who mentioned that even BMW's aren't perfect - if one of the wheels on your brand new $70,000+ BMW came with a scratch in it, you would have the dealer replace it.  No doubt about it.

No, I wouldn't.  Stop speaking for other, non-crazy, people.  Speak for yourself.

• Reply 96 of 267

But if a batch of Motorola MXmaxXXXLrazrOne**your_mom**X5000xxx ships with cosmetic defects no one would so much as bother making a peep about it.

• Reply 97 of 267
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Consumer Reports:

Despite having build quality that is second to none, the iPhone 5's new manufacturing process has some bugs to work out. Our test model came out of the box with a 16nm scratch. We were delighted with all other aspects of this phone and believe it to be the best phone on the market. However, due to the tiny scratch on our test model and the reports of other tiny scratches on retail models, we cannot recommend the iPhone 5 at this time. 

As usual, Consumer Reports is staffed by idiots.

First, a 16 nm scratch would be absolutely invisible with anything other than a STEM (16 nm is a few hundred atoms thickness).

More importantly, I love the way Apple haters (including CR) claim that Apple fans are all about appearances and style and don't care about functionality. Yet here we have the fastest, thinnest, lightest phone on the market from a company with outstanding customer service and so on - and CR won't recommend it because some of them might have a tiny scratch.
    So... people were freaking about the glass back, so Apple switched to aluminum... surprise, it isn't as hard as glass, and if you run it with sandpaper it scratches...
    A better comparison would be doing the same with 4-5 leading phones... Android, WinPhone, or whatever...

The difference is that the other phones look like crap from the start so no one notices.
    runbuh wrote: »

That's BS.

Show me any manufactured item you wish and if I look hard enough, I can find a defect. My car cost a whole heck of a lot more than an iPhone and the finish on the car wasn't perfect. Nor would I expect it to be absolutely perfect in every way no matter how carefully it was examined.
  • Reply 98 of 267
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Only at the carriers. If you return a product at Apple and exchange it you are getting a new retail item. Only the carriers make you take a refurb (and reserve the right to not tell you that it is) At the Bar you get new or remanufactured, but the latter means they might have reused a functioning display or such. But the battery and storage are new

Actually not true, but then you say that yourself in the third sentence.  

The Apple stores all have two separate stocks for iPhones, the new stock, and the Genius bar stock.  The Genius bar stock is what they use for replacement and it is refurbished.  The phones are made up of parts from returned phones, re-assembled into new ones.  

They have a fancy name for the stock that I can't remember at the moment, and you can call it "remanufactured" or "refurbished" but it is the same thing.  It's not essentially the same thing or almost the same thing or kind of the same thing.  It's exactly the same thing.  Refurbished, not new.  

Both my iPhone 4 and my iPhone 4S came out of the box with factory defects and both had to be replaced.  If you accept the refurbished replacement it takes ten minutes or so, if you want an actual new phone made out of new parts fresh from the factory, you have to argue and argue for literally weeks.  

If you are persistent and you have a local Apple store with a manager that isn't an asshole, they will eventually give you a new phone but it isn't easy.  The staff at the store is so brainwashed they really don't see any difference between the new and the refurbished, and since they use a different word instead of refurbished, most of them actually think the same as you that the different word means that it's something else.  It isn't.  

• Reply 99 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

No, I wouldn't.  Stop speaking for other, non-crazy, people.  Speak for yourself.

Fine - I'll retract my BMW comment and won't generalize to the population.  However, were your previous iPhones scratched straight out of the box?  Mine were not.  I would hope that my iPhone 5 would not be, either.

• Reply 100 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Fine - I'll retract my BMW comment and won't generalize to the population.  However, were your previous iPhones scratched straight out of the box?  Mine were not.  I would hope that my iPhone 5 would not be, either.