Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 267
    This guy got a scuffed iPhone 5, and he don't give a crap.
  • Reply 62 of 267
    Personally, Apple has reached the thinnest form factor for their phone. Make it any thinner and I couldn't recommend it to a single person. Checked them out today at the Apple store and they are at the thinnest point possible. I'd prefer they'd kept the 4S thickness, if you want my engineering perspective.
  • Reply 63 of 267
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Why does it seem like Apple can't release anything anymore without something being wrong with it? What happened to quality control?

Because when you product 20 million of anything, they won't all be perfect.  Apple just makes news because people are obsessed.

• Reply 64 of 267

Consumer Reports:

Despite having build quality that is second to none, the iPhone 5's new manufacturing process has some bugs to work out. Our test model came out of the box with a 16nm scratch. We were delighted with all other aspects of this phone and believe it to be the best phone on the market. However, due to the tiny scratch on our test model and the reports of other tiny scratches on retail models, we cannot recommend the iPhone 5 at this time. 

Steve Jobs (from beyond):

Just hold it in a way that your hand will cover the scratch. Not a big deal. 

• Reply 65 of 267
    Personally, Apple has reached the thinnest form factor for their phone. Make it any thinner and I couldn't recommend it to a single person. Checked them out today at the Apple store and they are at the thinnest point possible. I'd prefer they'd kept the 4S thickness, if you want my engineering perspective.

Actually the Moto RAZR is thinner except for the hump on top.
  • Reply 66 of 267
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    The product of glass does.  I never said it doesn't.  I merely said it uses less than the aluminum process.  I never said it didn't use energy now did I.

You said electrical energy, which I thought might have been a trick statement, I thought most glass was heated using a fuel directly. In this case, natural gas:

The best current process for purifying aluminum from ore requires electricity to do it, so "more electrical energy" is a bit of a stacked statement, whether you realize it or not.
  • Reply 67 of 267
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Consumer Reports:

Despite having build quality that is second to none, the iPhone 5's new manufacturing process has some bugs to work out. Our test model came out of the box with a 16nm scratch. We were delighted with all other aspects of this phone and believe it to be the best phone on the market. However, due to the tiny scratch on our test model and the reports of other tiny scratches on retail models, we cannot recommend the iPhone 5 at this time. 

Is this for real or did you forget the /s tag?
  • Reply 68 of 267
    dasanman69 wrote: »

I think you missed his point.
  • Reply 69 of 267
    A tech reviewer said in his review that his new iPhone 5 had scuffs along the edge when he took it out of the box, so this is not just customers being careless with their new phones.

These kinds of defects will drop the trade in value.

How long is the standard warranty against defects? And will customers who purchased from Apple's website be able to return the iPhone at an Apple store in person or will they have to mail them in for an exchange?
  • Reply 70 of 267
    waverunnr wrote: »
    Why does it seem like Apple can't release anything anymore without something being wrong with it? What happened to quality control?

No company is ever perfect. Apple tend to have a lower percent of units with any particulat issue and are better than most at a quick fix.

Keep in mind that many, if not most, if these nicked phones were delivered via fed ex etc. they aren't known for immaculate handling of packages and they might have tossed around the boxes in ways that could result in damage to the iPhones. After all they arent in foam in those cardboard boxes. They can and do slide around in them.
  • Reply 71 of 267
    gazoobee wrote: »
    People should also realise that if you take it back to the store, even if they give you a "new" one it's actually a refurbished product (the first week of sales might be the only exception to that). So if you bought your iPhone unlocked at full price you might want to just deal with it instead of trying to take it back.  

Only at the carriers. If you return a product at Apple and exchange it you are getting a new retail item. Only the carriers make you take a refurb (and reserve the right to not tell you that it is)

At the Bar you get new or remanufactured, but the latter means they might have reused a functioning display or such. But the battery and storage are new
  • Reply 72 of 267

• Reply 73 of 267

I'd be annoyed if my expensive "object of desire" (whatever it might be) was nicked or blemished out of the box. But truthfully, when I saw the keynote introducing the iP5, I thought, "Aluminum? This will be a problem." Aluminum works pretty well for a laptop, but a phone? Who in their right mind would make a phone, meant to be stowed in your pocket or purse, from highly machined and polished aluminum? It's crazy. Even my Apple Remote (cast, machined, and anodized Aluminum) got beat up pretty quickly.

The phone looks nice and I love the internal and software improvements, but I think almost anyone would prefer something a little heavier or thicker that's designed to hold it's looks for more than a day. Stainless is th obvious choice in my mind. Apple designers always seem to forget that change for the sake of change is neither good design nor innovation. This is a classic Apple design mistake which they make every few years. Call it "Apple Hockey Puck Mouse Syndrome." (Actually, in that case it was Steve who insisted on the ridiculously stupid design of the "Hockey Puck Mouse.")

I predict machined and polished aluminum will not be a lasting trend for Apple mobile devices.

• Reply 74 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

Apple runs a customer support department for a reason. There is no reason to bother the CEO unless there is a serious problem. Your request is most likely just being transfered to the correct department.

Exactly

• Reply 75 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

Consumer Reports:

People should consider those scuffs as part of the design, it gives you uniqueness (just like tattoos), Steve didn't like conformity anyways.  /s

...or just return the phone and choose whatever makes you happy.

If those returns increase, it can hurt some numbers at this quarter, but let's hope it'll be solved soon(er or later).

• Reply 76 of 267
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Good thing they don't make gates or we'd have gategate
    Maybe if OS X security goes wrong we'll have gatekeepergate?
  • Reply 77 of 267
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Does the production of glass require the use of electrical energy?

The heat of fusion of silicon is about 5x that of aluminum, how does it take more electricity to make aluminum than glass?

You're not looking at the whole process.

First, glass isn't made of silicon, it's made of silicon dioxide with other components. That aside, in making glass, you're essentially digging sand out of the ground, blending it with other chemicals that you dug out of the ground, and then melting it. Most of the energy is in melting the materials.

For aluminum, OTOH, you're digging aluminum out of the ground as bauxite (a complicated aluminum oxide compound). You have to chemically break those aluminum/oxygen bonds - and breaking bonds takes a lot more energy than simply melting something.

Very good. I was thinking someone would mention this. From a recyclable perspective though the aluminum is easier to recover than the glass from the iPhone 4 case. Glass is highly recyclable if it is clear, brown or green. If it is coated as in computer monitor or iPhone screen, it is only usable as an additive to asphalt or some other construction material and that only represents some alternative to a land fill but is not recyclable in the sense that it can reused for the same purpose as its original use.

• Reply 78 of 267
    So... people were freaking about the glass back, so Apple switched to aluminum... surprise, it isn't as hard as glass, and if you run it with sandpaper it scratches...

A better comparison would be doing the same with 4-5 leading phones... Android, WinPhone, or whatever...
  • Reply 79 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Translation: the Moto RAZR is thinner except for the part that's not.

• Reply 80 of 267

I "pre-ordered" from AT&T and they told me I would not get my black 64 GB till October 8th so I went to the mall today at like 3pm where they have an Apple and AT&T store. Apple had every single model except the version I wanted and AT&T had all 64 GB white models. I am never "pre-ordering" again, I think everyone went that route that's why most stores still had most in stock. I bought the white 64 GB model and got into my car and noticed a hole in the back the size of a pin and didn't want to be a drama queen but when you pay $800 for something it better be perfect. They made me bring it to Apple and they didn't even make me wait in line and replaced it. I looked at the back and sides when he gave it to me and it was fine, under closer examination there is a scrape on the bottom by the speakers which isn't as offensive so I was kind of bummed but I guess I will just deal with it.