Study: iPhone 5 web usage surges past Samsung Galaxy S III

Comments

• Reply 101 of 166
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Good thought, although that notwithstanding, once read (observed) from a quantum perspective the post either is or isn't. Unless you follow Wigner of course.

Now you are getting more into my field of study.

Equations intact, the instance has been observed and has existed.

If you have studied quantum physics at all then you would have come to the conclusion that it has already existed in every form. Also, apparently the post would have existed In every language, spelling, and misspelling to an almost infinite degree.

Add magnetism, which has force over even quantum particles (unknown on the Higgs Boson) and you can continually twist your results.

It's staggering what can be accomplished with magnetics.

Uh oh. Alarm bells going off. Are you actually a physicist, or just someone with an interest in magnetism? 

• Reply 102 of 166
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    fatusmiles wrote: »
    Yeah right!

Yea right what? He explained it better than I was. I'm not part of the attack TS brigade that's been going on lately.
  • Reply 103 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yea right what? He explained it better than I was. I'm not part of the attack TS brigade that's been going on lately.

Have i already thank him?

• Reply 104 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The inevitable result of people not standing in line to buy Galaxies. Standing in line to buy phones is a bad thing, right? Samsung says so.

Not bad - just tad stupid.

• Reply 105 of 166
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    muppetry wrote: »
    Good thought, although that notwithstanding, once read (observed) from a quantum perspective the post either is or isn't. Unless you follow Wigner of course.

You are incorrect.

Quantum mechanics shows that the two states can coexist. In fact, the latest Nobel Prize was awarded for demonstrating that atoms can be in two places at once.

So, if this were a quantum matter (which it is not, of course), the post could both exist and not exist at the same time. The problem is in trying to convert quantum mechanics to our non-quantum understanding.
  • Reply 106 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

I love the part "over saturation taming". Sounds straight from Samsungs PR dept.

Even funnier being SIII suffers from over saturation in the first place.

But the drivel is always "it doesn't matter if it doesn't work properly or has issues just root it and all will be fine" attitude for android devices.

Tell me why can't it work straight out of the box?

Actually if you root and install a custom ROM it works even less properly.  I rooted and installed cyanogenmod jelly bean on my phone.  Just a little background on cyanogenmod ROM's.  Those are the pinnacle of custom ROM's when it comes to Android.  Apparently most other ROM's derive from cyanogenmod who are a team of talented programmers that can't program worth crap if you ask me.  The custom ROM is so buggy and lacks features (my video camera doesn't work). I feel like I'm using a beta phone.  The best part of it all is they are constantly tweaking and coming out with updates to fix all the bugs but it's not just a simple download and install.  No, you have to download and wipe your entire phone and install, and sometimes it's night after night releases.

Imagine this for a minute now.  You have this OS that is so great and advanced and does it all but you can never get an update so the only option you have is to root and install a custom ROM (way way more difficult of a process than jail breaking iPhone).  So you backup your stuff using a few different apps and sync contacts and all that stuff with your gmail account if you choose to and you are recommended to first unlock the bootloader.  Next you flash some clockwordmod thing which lets you back your current ROM and install custom ROM's.  You back up your current ROM in case you ever want to back to the way you bought your phone.  If you don't and you don't like the custom ROM than your screwed and this file is currently on my sd card taking up space.  Next you move the custom ROM onto your sd card and some other stuff.  Next you wipe your phone clean because if you don't it will cause things to not work properly.  I wiped clean and there are many things that don't work properly.  After all that you finally flash the new ROM and re download everything again.  The next night a new build of your custom ROM gets released and you do it all over again. 

No one who has a Android and roots and all that crap can deny this.  It's a pain in the ass and in the end not worth it for the constant bugs.  Here is an example.  Just today, and not the first time, I get a phone call and so the screen shows a phone symbol that pops up in the middle of the screen and you are suppose to place your finger on it and slide it to the right to highlight the green phone and remove your finger to answer the call.  I had to repeat this motion 4 times until it answered.  I could clearly see the green phone highlighted which is cause to remove your finger from the screen so it will be answered, but no my Android with custom jelly bean was advising against it.  Only after I was adamant about it did it finally side with me and answer my call.  And this didn't only happen once, it happened on 5 or 6 calls the last 2 days.  Although I sound like I'm blaming the custom ROM for all the problems, I'm not.  There was many instances when I was using the original ROM, Ice cream sandwhich with htc sense and it was unresponsive after repeatedly hitting a on screen button or link.  The one I can think of off the top of my head is the space bar on the keyboard.  Can't tell you how many times I typed an text not looking at the screen only to look down and see 3 or 4 words with no space between because my thumb tapping the space bar didn't register. 

I tell you people from experience, how Apple is blasted for not attaching the word beta to Apple Maps, Google should be blasted for not calling it Android beta and even with 4.1 jelly bean. 

This is for the Android faithful who read this and reply with the same thing we been hearing from every other Android faithful word for word as if you all took the same course and were taught by the same professor.  My previous iPhone had ROM's too they were called updates and they came from Apple and were available from day one for all supported products which usually includes devices from 2 to 3 years prior to the update.  There is no need to backup, wipe, flash and repeat either.  Even if you choose to go the jail breaking route with iPhone and you do have to wipe clean and install, you only have to do it once for said iOS version.  Doesn't install with a non working video camera, or a screen with brightness issues, or wifi range all of a sudden being cut down when your 20 feet away from the wireless router. 

May be shit to me but it's another man's Dessert.  That's what Android OS is, Shit with a tasty name.

• Reply 107 of 166
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by powderdust View Post

Not around my house. iOS will be on the way out and will be replaced by Android. OS X will still be the dominant desktop (oldskool style). This is because I feel like I've been staring at the same operating system for about four years. I fancy a change, I'll possibly be back in the futre but Apple need to be a bit more exiting. Bland ads, samey looking phones, deleting my apps (youtube and google maps - let me choose!) to name a few. Couple this with a crappy new store, errr ping, .mac, .mobileme then a curtailed icloud. I'm getting a bit tired of signing up for stuff they can't deliver. Yes the iPhone 5 is nice (still a bit sharp in the hand) but other companies make phones and Android always seems to come up with the cool things first - not as polished as Apple but sometimes Apple look as though they are polishing turds. x Verdict iOS 0 Android 1.

wow, you're complaining about Ads?

You're also foolish if you think Android lets you choose your apps. The carriers/manus will install their own apps and prevent you from removing them. Also, you tube is in the app store.

"Android always seems to come up with the cool things first - not as polished as Apple but sometimes Apple look as though they are polishing turds" by this sentence, you're saying Android is a turd or its features are turds.

• Reply 108 of 166

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You're also foolish if you think Android lets you choose your apps. The carriers/manus will install their own apps and prevent you from removing them.

That's not true. They're removable.

Also, you tube is in the app store.

*Pocketable iDevices only.

…by this sentence, you're saying Android is a turd or its features are turds.

… Yes? And? image

• Reply 109 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

May be shit to me but it's another man's Dessert.  That's what Android OS is, Shit with a tasty name.

Yum

• Reply 110 of 166
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Hardly shocking. I've been saying all along that Android users are not very productive people and people are simply not using their Android phones as smart phones.

Google boasts about all of their millions and millions of activations (without giving any proof of course), yet Android devices barely make a dent on the web. If Google and Fandroids were telling the truth, Android should be owning all of the web stat statistics, yet Apple is kicking their ass every single time.

Android phones are essentially dumb phones for unproductive people.

• Reply 111 of 166

I was in my local Apple store the other day and I have to say I as blown away by the LTE speed of the iPhone 5. It swear, it was as fast as my 100 mbs connection at my hotel.

But that type of speed, when its coming out your pocket, is a different story. I couldn't afford such swank.

• Reply 112 of 166
    jivanile wrote: »

Actually if you root and install a custom ROM it works even less properly.  I rooted and installed cyanogenmod jelly bean on my phone.  Just a little background on cyanogenmod ROM's.  Those are the pinnacle of custom ROM's when it comes to Android.  Apparently most other ROM's derive from cyanogenmod who are a team of talented programmers that can't program worth crap if you ask me.  The custom ROM is so buggy and lacks features (my video camera doesn't work). I feel like I'm using a beta phone.  The best part of it all is they are constantly tweaking and coming out with updates to fix all the bugs but it's not just a simple download and install.  No, you have to download and wipe your entire phone and install, and sometimes it's night after night releases.
    Imagine this for a minute now.  You have this OS that is so great and advanced and does it all but you can never get an update so the only option you have is to root and install a custom ROM (way way more difficult of a process than jail breaking iPhone).  So you backup your stuff using a few different apps and sync contacts and all that stuff with your gmail account if you choose to and you are recommended to first unlock the bootloader.  Next you flash some clockwordmod thing which lets you back your current ROM and install custom ROM's.  You back up your current ROM in case you ever want to back to the way you bought your phone.  If you don't and you don't like the custom ROM than your screwed and this file is currently on my sd card taking up space.  Next you move the custom ROM onto your sd card and some other stuff.  Next you wipe your phone clean because if you don't it will cause things to not work properly.  I wiped clean and there are many things that don't work properly.  After all that you finally flash the new ROM and re download everything again.  The next night a new build of your custom ROM gets released and you do it all over again. 
    No one who has a Android and roots and all that crap can deny this.  It's a pain in the ass and in the end not worth it for the constant bugs.  Here is an example.  Just today, and not the first time, I get a phone call and so the screen shows a phone symbol that pops up in the middle of the screen and you are suppose to place your finger on it and slide it to the right to highlight the green phone and remove your finger to answer the call.  I had to repeat this motion 4 times until it answered.  I could clearly see the green phone highlighted which is cause to remove your finger from the screen so it will be answered, but no my Android with custom jelly bean was advising against it.  Only after I was adamant about it did it finally side with me and answer my call.  And this didn't only happen once, it happened on 5 or 6 calls the last 2 days.  Although I sound like I'm blaming the custom ROM for all the problems, I'm not.  There was many instances when I was using the original ROM, Ice cream sandwhich with htc sense and it was unresponsive after repeatedly hitting a on screen button or link.  The one I can think of off the top of my head is the space bar on the keyboard.  Can't tell you how many times I typed an text not looking at the screen only to look down and see 3 or 4 words with no space between because my thumb tapping the space bar didn't register. 
    I tell you people from experience, how Apple is blasted for not attaching the word beta to Apple Maps, Google should be blasted for not calling it Android beta and even with 4.1 jelly bean. 
    This is for the Android faithful who read this and reply with the same thing we been hearing from every other Android faithful word for word as if you all took the same course and were taught by the same professor.  My previous iPhone had ROM's too they were called updates and they came from Apple and were available from day one for all supported products which usually includes devices from 2 to 3 years prior to the update.  There is no need to backup, wipe, flash and repeat either.  Even if you choose to go the jail breaking route with iPhone and you do have to wipe clean and install, you only have to do it once for said iOS version.  Doesn't install with a non working video camera, or a screen with brightness issues, or wifi range all of a sudden being cut down when your 20 feet away from the wireless router. 

May I ask what phone you had? CM is made with developer phones in mind, lesser versed programmers are usually given the task to port it to other devices which usually end up with issues. This is the reason OEMs and carriers take time tommake sure the update will play well and even they don't get it right sometimes, hell even Apple has had issues with updates and had to immediately fix it.
  • Reply 113 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hardly shocking. I've been saying all along that Android users are not very productive people and people are simply not using their Android phones as smart phones.

Apparently browsing the internet is the only "productive" thing left for average iPhone user to do on their phone.

Since the camera is p.h.ucked, the display is still g.d. small, the maps are screwing me on every corner (lol) ... and who knows what's next. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android phones are essentially dumb phones for unproductive people.

iPhones (and especially the fifth) are essentially unproductive phones for dumb people.

• Reply 114 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

You are aware that cyanogenmod 10 the version you installed is still in Beta? You do know that on some phones unlocking the boot loader is as easy as "Fastboot.img OEM unloock" in the console commands. You don't have to wipe the phone you have to remove all of the application info that will inhibit your phone from booting up. Also even with the Cyanagonmod 10 nightlies that you are downloading you don't have to delete the rom to get the latest version. You just flash the new rom over it. Or you go to settings >About phone >Cynagon update > The choose the rom you would like to update to. 

The nightly builds of Cynagonmod are automatically compiled each day. They have verious bugs as they are not completed roms as of yet. You would have to wait for the actual Cynagonmod 10 release candidate to see it become stable. Oh and as a reference this is Cynagon's statement on nightly builds.

"What are Nightly build ? : auto compile build from the CyanogenMod github, each time there are new corrections on it. 

This version change each night, and aren't support officialy, if you find bugs/issues you can/must discuss here."

• Reply 115 of 166
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nathillien wrote: »

iPhones (and especially the fifth) are essentially unproductive phones for dumb people.

So unproductive that iPhone usage trounces all other mobile OSes combined in apps and page views despite Android activations being many times higher than iPhone sales¡ So much for iPhones being unproductive.
  • Reply 116 of 166
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    jragosta wrote: »
    You're obviously joking, but you are raising a good point.
    Any of these surveys are only as good as the raw data. Unless one can establish that the data is representative of cell phone users as a whole, the results are useless. In this case, I see two major possible flaws in the error:
    1. Are the sites Chitika tracks representative of the internet as a whole? For example, if Chitika has a larger than average number of sites that are of more interest to Mac/iOS users than Android users, then the results would be biased. For example, if Chitika tracks Appleinsider, but not Androidinsider, it would bias the results.
    2. Does Chitika's methodology itself favor one platform over another. For example, if Android phones/users are more likely to stick to Google stuff and iOS users are more likely to be viewing ads that are NOT Google, the results would be biased.
    Because of that, I've never considered information like this to be particularly useful. We have no way of knowing how reliable the information is.
    Now, if enough different sites, all using different methodology all reach the same conclusion, it is suggestive that perhaps the effect might be real, but it is still not conclusive.

Metadata can be quite informative.
    The difference between the data a year ago and now is as absolute as it can be.
    (Given ofcourse that Chitika is using the same data source and isn't a fraud.)

J.
  • Reply 117 of 166
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So unproductive that iPhone usage trounces all other mobile OSes combined in apps and page views despite Android activations being many times higher than iPhone sales¡ So much for iPhones being unproductive.

So bored are you that you have to reply to mindless dribble? lol
  • Reply 118 of 166
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I would say a great number of people on VZW and Sprint are new to iOS. My brother on VZW just switched from Android to iOS simply because HTC doesnt have a HTC One X type phone for vzw, and he didn't like any other available Android phones.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Well, I am sure this is very good news for Apple.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 119 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I'm an Apple fan, but this story is completely without merit! First of all, the reason for this is because the second the 10 million people or so upgraded to iOS 6 (on iPhone 4, 4S and iPads) Apple maps suddenly became the default mapping and navigation option. People had no choice! As someone who has been using Android handsets in parallel with an iPhone, Google's mapping offering whilst not as pretty as Apple's, is light years ahead, even muddy paths and walkways in the middle of a housing estate or forrest are covered! There is no way in hell what people will choose Apple's maps today over Android maps if given a simple choice.

This reporting is driven by fanboism over honest analysis. Please compare to the excellent Android Police blog (http://www.androidpolice.com/) that is more impartial in it's reporting. Android Police did a toughness test between the iPhone 5 and Galaxy 3, and were honest enough to admit that the iPhone 5 came out better.

For my part, I will use which ever device does the job. For music, social (texting, Whatsapp messenger etc), I prefer iOS, but for business and navigation, Android Jelly Bean is the way to go, no pun intended! (For now.)

This report is just a statistic, nothing more, nothing less. A set of points in a graph.

Yes, you can argue that Chikita's iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 is a peculiarly narrow set of data points, and it may have been driven by an artificial bifurcation of the market, but that's  a far cry from "fanboism."

Was there even any "analysis" of any kind? Well, there were two quotes from the AppleInsider article:

The quick rise in iPhone 5 ad impressions across Chitika's network is largely thanks to the device's high adoption rate

and 

The report goes on to speculate that the sixth-generation iPhone's 4G LTE connectivity helped to bring more users online

Both are rephrased and taken from this quote in the original Chikita article:

Record-breaking sales numbers, along with new 4G browsing speeds which encourage data usage, are the most likely explanation for this tremendous growth.

While Chikita's analysis is speculative in nature, I can detect no "fanboism." These speculations did not come from AppleInsider, which, thankfully, refrained from adding any analysis of its own. I do fault AppleInsider with sometimes mixing fact, rumor, and speculation, and being somewhat loose with where those lines are drawn, but in this case, it all goes back to what Chikita published.

On the other hand, you wrote:

There is no way in hell what people will choose Apple's maps today over Android maps if given a simple choice.

Uh-huh. Chikita at least has stats. 

You also attempted to paint Chikita's analysis as "dishonest" by comparing it with some android blog that you arbitrarily claim is "excellent" and an example of "honest analysis."

• Reply 120 of 166
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

Screwing around with the ROM on a PHONE really boggles my mind. I really wonder whether back in 1938 people would mod their toasters. I very much share the Apple view that a phone is an appliance and should just work (and yes, I know smartphones are really pocket computers). After several years using linux laptops which did not QUITE work properly, I have pretty much had it with open source appliances.