Study: iPhone 5 web usage surges past Samsung Galaxy S III

Comments

• Reply 141 of 166
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    jivanile wrote: »
    I'm not gonna claim I'm an expert at rooting and flashing and all those other impressive words and actions but I know what I read up on and on multiple websites from the Rooting pros including Llor.  Don't know who he is but he seems to be heavily involved in all that stuff and is well known amongst the community.  Can't tell you how many times I read and heard on youtube videos to make sure to wipe your phone clean before any flash or you will have issues. 
    Also you didn't disprove anything I said in my first post.  Prior to owning this Android phone I heard a lot from Android owners about how great the platform is and how you can flash it with these ROM's which negates the fact that rarely does a phone get an update to a newer OS version, which is the whole open source is better than walled garden argument.  All you did was confirm what I said about how it is a hassle and not worth it.  Maybe to some its a hobbie and enjoyable.  That's fine, but let's be honest, most do it because of the lack of support from OEM's and eventhough it's crap they will never admit and lie to themselves that it's the greatest thing. 
    They love to talk about missing features on iPhone such as NFC or removable batteries but than they customize their phone only to have missing features such as in my case, as I have stated before, a working video camera.  Hey but atleast you can take out your battery when the OS freezes right?

Not with a HTC One X you can't you also can't add a microSD card, just like most of the Nexus phones.
  • Reply 142 of 166
    But then most iPhone users I know simply play the HD back over their Apple TV with Airplay to their HD TV screen for serious viewing.
    The vibration thing is certainly worthy of some good comments but I'll leave that to others ... LOL

iOS has had customizable vibration alert since iOS 5 in 2011.

In all seriousness, I wonder who owns a patent for that?
  • Reply 143 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So unproductive that iPhone usage trounces all other mobile OSes combined in apps and page views despite Android activations being many times higher than iPhone sales¡ So much for iPhones being unproductive.

Page views = Productivity? You are silly.

But I wouldn't be surprised if you do think that page view = productivity.

• Reply 144 of 166
    Normally iPhones are packaged with data plans in most of the places whether one needs or not. While S3 users need not use maps app while on the move since they can exclude in their monthly plans while depend more on built it navigation system in their vehicles and WiFi for browsing.
  • Reply 145 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Nathillien is productive troll, it's useless to tell her real facts.

Him :) lol

• Reply 146 of 166
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    nathillien wrote: »

Actually, it's more than a bit silly of you to mock the idea that, on phones, page view = productivity. People don't "surf" the web on their phones, they look stuff up that they need to know and do stuff they need to do. So, yes, page views on phones does have at least a rough correlation to productivity.

See how silly it is to open your mouth when you don't know what you are talking about?
  • Reply 147 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I unlocked mine on the first day I got it, phone company website > enter IMEI > Restore in iTunes > unlocked.

Nice to know this

• Reply 148 of 166
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

Actually if you root and install a custom ROM it works even less properly.  I rooted and installed cyanogenmod jelly bean on my phone.  Just a little background on cyanogenmod ROM's.  Those are the pinnacle of custom ROM's when it comes to Android.  Apparently most other ROM's derive from cyanogenmod who are a team of talented programmers that can't program worth crap if you ask me.  The custom ROM is so buggy and lacks features (my video camera doesn't work). I feel like I'm using a beta phone.  The best part of it all is they are constantly tweaking and coming out with updates to fix all the bugs but it's not just a simple download and install.  No, you have to download and wipe your entire phone and install, and sometimes it's night after night releases.

Imagine this for a minute now.  You have this OS that is so great and advanced and does it all but you can never get an update so the only option you have is to root and install a custom ROM (way way more difficult of a process than jail breaking iPhone).  So you backup your stuff using a few different apps and sync contacts and all that stuff with your gmail account if you choose to and you are recommended to first unlock the bootloader.  Next you flash some clockwordmod thing which lets you back your current ROM and install custom ROM's.  You back up your current ROM in case you ever want to back to the way you bought your phone.  If you don't and you don't like the custom ROM than your screwed and this file is currently on my sd card taking up space.  Next you move the custom ROM onto your sd card and some other stuff.  Next you wipe your phone clean because if you don't it will cause things to not work properly.  I wiped clean and there are many things that don't work properly.  After all that you finally flash the new ROM and re download everything again.  The next night a new build of your custom ROM gets released and you do it all over again. 

No one who has a Android and roots and all that crap can deny this.  It's a pain in the ass and in the end not worth it for the constant bugs.  Here is an example.  Just today, and not the first time, I get a phone call and so the screen shows a phone symbol that pops up in the middle of the screen and you are suppose to place your finger on it and slide it to the right to highlight the green phone and remove your finger to answer the call.  I had to repeat this motion 4 times until it answered.  I could clearly see the green phone highlighted which is cause to remove your finger from the screen so it will be answered, but no my Android with custom jelly bean was advising against it.  Only after I was adamant about it did it finally side with me and answer my call.  And this didn't only happen once, it happened on 5 or 6 calls the last 2 days.  Although I sound like I'm blaming the custom ROM for all the problems, I'm not.  There was many instances when I was using the original ROM, Ice cream sandwhich with htc sense and it was unresponsive after repeatedly hitting a on screen button or link.  The one I can think of off the top of my head is the space bar on the keyboard.  Can't tell you how many times I typed an text not looking at the screen only to look down and see 3 or 4 words with no space between because my thumb tapping the space bar didn't register. 

I tell you people from experience, how Apple is blasted for not attaching the word beta to Apple Maps, Google should be blasted for not calling it Android beta and even with 4.1 jelly bean. 

This is for the Android faithful who read this and reply with the same thing we been hearing from every other Android faithful word for word as if you all took the same course and were taught by the same professor.  My previous iPhone had ROM's too they were called updates and they came from Apple and were available from day one for all supported products which usually includes devices from 2 to 3 years prior to the update.  There is no need to backup, wipe, flash and repeat either.  Even if you choose to go the jail breaking route with iPhone and you do have to wipe clean and install, you only have to do it once for said iOS version.  Doesn't install with a non working video camera, or a screen with brightness issues, or wifi range all of a sudden being cut down when your 20 feet away from the wireless router. 

May be shit to me but it's another man's Dessert.  That's what Android OS is, Shit with a tasty name.

I do feel sorry for you having to go through this complex and extremely time-consuming procedure. Something that nobody should have to be put through.

How can companies sell crap knowingly ?  What is even worse are their apologists.

Its like buying a new car, then having it towed to a repair shop so that it will work as specified.  I still cannot for the life of me comprehend how any person could consider this as acceptable behaviour, have they lost their marbles ?

Microsoft are actually well adept in doing this, they sell software fully knowing it is full of bugs and insecure and then having the nerve in asking money from people to sign up for fixes.

May is suggest that you take to your android phones with an axe, you will be most satisfied, freeing you from this dictatorship.

Get an iPhone.

• Reply 149 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

An iphone fanatic?

• Reply 150 of 166
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

but for business and navigation, Android Jelly Bean is the way to go,

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Have fun syncing, Mac support isn't that hot, you'll be better off with Windows.

It's laughable that Oflife considers Android better for business when Android struggles to sync calendar events older than 30 days.

My old Palm handhelds could do that.

I'm surprised more isn't said about this major Android weakness.

• Reply 151 of 166
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

So somebody who visits a page, i.e. a page view, to manage their finances, read the latest scientific research, or donate funds to a charity, just as a few examples, is not productive?

Just who is silly?

• Reply 152 of 166

Better define productivity first. Perhaps, they have another meaning for it... we really don't know

• Reply 153 of 166
    fatusmiles wrote: »
    Better define productivity first. Perhaps, they have another meaning for it... we really don't know

I am beginning to think you're a counterexample. :\

Your posts are a complete waste of my web-viewing time.
  • Reply 154 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

So somebody who visits a page, i.e. a page view, to manage their finances, read the latest scientific research, or donate funds to a charity, just as a few examples, is not productive?

Just who is silly?

True, true I must admit.

But in the same way a visit to eBay or Amazon, or Facebook or Twitter etc, etc, etc is hardly productive especially for an average user. So what do you think is the ratio between a "unproductive" page view and "productive" page view?

I doubt a scientific research page will get more views than a page with Kardashians - unfortunately I might add :(.

Except maybe in a case of Higgs or Curiosity.

• Reply 155 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

WTF are "Appellations"

It's just an appellation.

• Reply 156 of 166
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

Magnetics, huh... that's cool. At least you're not studying thermodynamics where absolute zero cannot be reached!

I know this one gal that can reach it... :)

Seriously.

You're holding her wrong.

• Reply 157 of 166
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Could it be that Samsung users are more capable of turning off ads on their phone?

I have a HTC One, use it regularly to surf the internet but virtually never get adds on it. Why, because I know how to turn them off. Leaves more real estate for what I am looking for, not what someone guesses I may want to look at.
  • Reply 158 of 166
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member
    fatusmiles wrote: »

Its a status symbol for cleverness.. like sexy jeans that make men gave her another look

Umm, skanky!
  • Reply 159 of 166
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    But didn't Samsung sell 125.9 billion Galaxy SIIIs in the last quarter alone?

Is that around ten Sagans?
  • Reply 160 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"But the iPhone 5 sucks. I heard it from the Internet. Maps is generically, nonspecifically bad, iOS 6 is stale like a loaf of bread, and Apple is just catching up, right?"

Yeah, it sucks so bad they sold 5 million in 2 days. Android? Nothing but a marketing tool. Why doesn't Google use their GUI on every phone out there? Because phone makers want to compete with Apple. And updates? Yeah, when you can get them. iPhone users all get the same update as long as you're using at least an iPhone 3GS. iOS 6 is like stale bread? There are millions of stale Android phones and tablets out there sinking up the joint. I had the new Motorola Droid and could not get an update to save my life. I was at the mercy of Verizon. but Verizon wants you to buy a new and improved phone so why give you an update that you'll be happy with. You think it's easy to write code, design one and then wait fro the critics to pick it apart. Success doesn't come easy but Apple has a plan and their sticking to it, whether you like it or not. And your free to go join the Android party.