IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 154
    captbilly wrote: »
    The party is over guys, and the crowd has moved on. You can cherry pick some stat or another that seems to show some great significance still left in IOs devices but the simple fact is that IOS just isn't what it once was.

Undoubtedly Apple still makes tons of money, but just as surely they are bleeding market share month after month. There is only so long Apple can continue to lose market share before they again become a niche brand (like they were in PCs)

Then maybe people will realize that market share just isn't a big deal after all. It certainly is fun for us to talk about market share on a forum. But outside of those market share "bragging rights"... who cares?

You're right... the Mac is a niche product... and it has NEVER had a market share advantage over Microsoft PCs... in 28 years.

So what?

It happened with phones about 2 years ago... and it will probably happen again in tablets too.

Again... so what?

Is the goal merely bragging rights? What does Android get for being #1 anyway?
  • Reply 22 of 154
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Can we say finally say that Android devices are not being used as smart devices the way Apple's products are or are some still going to argue it's because Android users change their User Agent?

Android needs a new tag line. Still #1 at making calls, but not much else.
  • Reply 23 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

but Android is winning because Google is activiation 1 Billion devices a month! Just goes to show you the "raw" OS data doesn't mean crap.  a great majority of iPhone users use it as more than a phone while a great number of Android users use it primarily as a phone.

One billion activations a month is just the start of the Android smartphone reign.  In ten years Android devices will cover every square inch of our planet.  There will be at least one foot of Android devices between your feet and any sidewalk you travel.  In the bible where the Lord said "to be fruitful and multiply, he wasn't talking about humans, he was talking about Android OS devices.  That's why Android is winning.  It has Sky Daddy's explicit approval.  You may find this hard to believe, but the fruit flies' generational population growth is being put to shame by Android.

/s

• Reply 24 of 154
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can we say finally say that Android devices are not being used as smart devices the way Apple's products are or are some still going to argue it's because Android users change their User Agent?

Android needs a new tag line. Still #1 at making calls, but not much else.

And SMS txt. iMessage took those stats right off the chart for iOS. I guess I only know iPhone users because all my txts are blue. I still don't trust activation numbers because there are a lot of re-activations on both sides. On iPhone there are a lot of resales of used devices and on the Android side there are a lot of activations of new devices because the user discarded their previous device due to lack of upgradability, malfunction, or boredom.

I also distrust the browser usage stats since the largest analytics service provider is Google itself and they aren't releasing any statistics either because it would be a violation of privacy policies or they just don't like the the numbers. I could make a guess which it is but I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

I'm not sure how IBM collected these statistics because none of the references seem to link to the actual survey itself.

• Reply 25 of 154

It is interesting that with Androids being about 50% greater in users, that their online shopping presence is @ 60 % of iPhone usage. Could be demographics or user interface, since over half of Android devices are on an OS that is older than 1-2 years. The fact that there is such a difference in usage is not insignificant

Cheers !
  • Reply 26 of 154

Of course, to you, and some others apparently, USA = the world and ALL people get their Christmas shopping ONLINE. Although, Apple iGadgets will continue hemorrhaging marketshare as latest numbers show since Andoid finally chomps down on Apple's lunch after very much eats everybody else's lunch previously. you DO need your Xanax. 

Apple has failed to make a dent on the market outside of US, Canada, Australia, UK and some Western European countries, and these are countries where markets are already saturated with tech gadgets. If Apple wants to really compete elsewhere, well, there is only one way..., reduce its gadget's price. And. since Apple prefer to play in the high margin sandbox then that's not gonna happen. 

Facts: 

-Almost HALF of the people surveyed in 2011 REFUSED to make a purchase online.

-In total, LESS than 15% of ALL SALES are done online.

-In "less fortunate" countries, AKA the third world,  and the BRIC, the above corresponding numbers  are even more dismal. This is where the MOST of the GROWTH comes from, and Apple's iGadgets are barely showing on the radar there or, worse, not at all. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut…

But Android!

• Reply 27 of 154

IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android

Is it just me or do these AI writers need to re-think how they write headlines? It's quite often that the headline doesn't match the meat of the content. It wasn't until I read the article that I realized D.E.D. was not talking about Apple selling 3.3x more iOS devices than Android-based devices over the weekend.

• Reply 28 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandman619 View Post

It is interesting that with Androids being about 50% greater in users, that their online shopping presence is @ 60 % of iPhone usage. Could be demographics or user interface, since over half of Android devices are on an OS that is older than 1-2 years. The fact that there is such a difference in usage is not insignificant

Cheers !

You know what would be an interesting statistic for me? What is the ratio of iOS vs. Android use of wifi especially while shopping online? That would perhaps shed some light on the Android demographics as I suspect a huge block of Android users both in the states and abroad are people without computers and therefore no wifi at home. This single metric could explain the usage disparity.

• Reply 29 of 154
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Looks like all this litigation (not innovation) IS paying off.

/s

• Reply 30 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And SMS txt. iMessage took those stats right off the chart for iOS. I guess I only know iPhone users because all my txts are blue. I still don't trust activation numbers because there are a lot of re-activations on both sides. On iPhone there are a lot of resales of used devices and on the Android side there are a lot of activations of new devices because the user discarded their previous device due to lack of upgradability, malfunction, or boredom.

I also distrust the browser usage stats since the largest analytics service provider is Google itself and they aren't releasing any statistics either because it would be a violation of privacy policies or they just don't like the the numbers. I could make a guess which it is but I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

I'm not sure how IBM collected these statistics because none of the references seem to link to the actual survey itself.

Something interesting about the iMessage stats is that though lots of people use it, many many more messages are sent through WhatsApp. Apple released their stats of 300B messages sent since iMessage went live (~1yr), while WhatsApp is sending 10B per day, 300B per year. 

The stat I want to see are the number of top-tier "iPhone-killers" (or loosely-comparable Android phones for the iPhones that are available now 4/4S/5) that are sold, so we can exclude the crappy Android phones out there that aren't much better than a dumb phones out there. 

• Reply 31 of 154
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have some antidotal evidence that confirms this. I was at Best Buy on Black Friday for well ove an hour and the Apple section of the store was crowded with people and every iPad was being used. In the time I was there I never saw one person playing around with any of the Android tablets or the Kindle Fires. If they weren't selling these things at $199 they'd have little to no market share.
  • Reply 32 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Nothing new here. This has happened every year for the last 10.

Didn't know there were Android devices that long ago.
  • Reply 33 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Dude, I, like, totally just got this new phone, bra."

"Wicked, man. What's it all do?"

"I dunno, man, but I totally just changed my user agent."

"What does that even meeeeeeeeean?!" "I know, bra!"

You forgot the head exploding hand gesture.
  • Reply 34 of 154
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    originalg wrote: »
    Something interesting about the iMessage stats is that though lots of people use it, many many more messages are sent through WhatsApp. Apple released their stats of 300B messages sent since iMessage went live (~1yr), while WhatsApp is sending 10B per day, 300B per year.

According to their last statement iMessage is sending 2.5B messages per day. That's 4 to 1 in favour of WhatsApp. But lets remember that WhatsApp services a great many more devices, including iDevices, whereas iMessage only serves iDevices and Macs. It's like Android OS on devices, with so many more vendor no single vendor should be overtaking them. Same goes for this cross-platform app.
  • Reply 35 of 154

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    This isn't rocket science.  Yes, the iPad rules the roost.  

The Android numbers look impressive, but they are concealing a simple fact.  The carriers (phone) are pushing cheap (and expensive) Android handsets on anyone and everyone so that they can charge their customers for mobile data.  Simple enough...

The secret is that all these new Android users don't need smartphones and aren't using them.  So, what we have are hundreds of millions of dead-end (no upgrades offered) Android handsets that are used for calling and texting only.

• Reply 36 of 154

Originally Posted by fireside View Post

Of course, to you, and some others apparently, USA = the world…

No. Try again.

…and ALL people get their Christmas shopping ONLINE.

Your point being what? Android users are too poor to afford Internet service? Android users are too stupid to operate a computer? Android users are too paranoid to give any personal information to a website? 

I don't see how this can come out on top for Android users.

Although, Apple iGadgets will continue hemorrhaging marketshare…

Slapppy's back! Good to disprove everything you say, pal!

…as latest numbers show…

The numbers where the iPad has 95% marketshare of the tablets actually in use, you mean. Got it, thanks.

you DO need your Xanax.

Say this to anyone else and you're getting an infraction. At the very least, the post will be deleted. I like to play myself as the punching bag. That goes for anyone; you want to let off steam, fabricate a reason and let it off on me instead of another regular user. Seriously!

Apple has failed to make a dent on the market outside of US, Canada, Australia, UK and some Western European countries, and these are countries where markets are already saturated with tech gadgets.

News flash: Apple sells well in the most intelligent and wealthiest countries, giving the smartest userbase and most money to… Apple.

If Apple wants to really compete elsewhere, well, there is only one way..., reduce its gadget's price.

The fricking iPhone is already fricking free. Show me a scan of a Hindi newspaper advertising an Android phone plus $200 if you take the phone off their hands or clam up.

And. since Apple prefer to play in the high margin sandbox then that's not gonna happen.

And. since telecoms refuse to sell the iPhone without data plans (OH WAIT, THEY ALREADY DO) then it has already happened.

Facts: 

If you get near some relevancy, hop on!

• Reply 37 of 154
    First it was "android users changed their user agents" now it's "you are cherry picking stats." These guys are working overtime to deny a pretty consistent stat: iOS is actually used. By lots of people. iOS matters, despite what the deniers say. They just can't wrap their google-eyed brains around that.
  • Reply 38 of 154
    noelosnoelos Posts: 126member

Quote:

You know what would be an interesting statistic for me? What is the ratio of iOS vs. Android use of wifi especially while shopping online? That would perhaps shed some light on the Android demographics as I suspect a huge block of Android users both in the states and abroad are people without computers and therefore no wifi at home. This single metric could explain the usage disparity.

Er, I don't think they're generating these stats by intercepting WiFi signals. They would be doing analytics based on what traffic hits the online retail stores - whether the traffic gets there from WiFi, 3G, wired network is irrelevant.

• Reply 39 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireside View Post

Of course, to you, and some others apparently, USA = the world and ALL people get their Christmas shopping ONLINE. Although, Apple iGadgets will continue hemorrhaging marketshare as latest numbers show since Andoid finally chomps down on Apple's lunch after very much eats everybody else's lunch previously. you DO need your Xanax. 

Apple has failed to make a dent on the market outside of US, Canada, Australia, UK and some Western European countries, and these are countries where markets are already saturated with tech gadgets. If Apple wants to really compete elsewhere, well, there is only one way..., reduce its gadget's price. And. since Apple prefer to play in the high margin sandbox then that's not gonna happen. 

Facts: 

-Almost HALF of the people surveyed in 2011 REFUSED to make a purchase online.

-In total, LESS than 15% of ALL SALES are done online.

-In "less fortunate" countries, AKA the third world,  and the BRIC, the above corresponding numbers  are even more dismal. This is where the MOST of the GROWTH comes from, and Apple's iGadgets are barely showing on the radar there or, worse, not at all. 

This is mostly true but what does that say about the world as a whole? To settle for Android rather than select iOS is a mediocrity that civilized society has voted overwhelmingly against, with their wallets. As Android overtakes all other options, and becomes a commoditified mobile marketplace like Windows is today, only discerning clients will buy the superior Apple devices which is fine because it will still be the gold standard.

• Reply 40 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by noelos View Post

Quote:

Er, I don't think they're generating these stats by intercepting WiFi signals. They would be doing analytics based on what traffic hits the online retail stores - whether the traffic gets there from WiFi, 3G, wired network is irrelevant.

I agree with that but if for example the Android IP addresses are all Metro PCS or other mobile carriers that would definitely change the demographics.