IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android

Comments

• Reply 121 of 154
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I think that all he was trying to say was that since one does see them in cafes etc., it shows that they are not always left at home. Maps apparently works fine without cellular if you cache the route in advance.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Thank you! Some people want to contradict so much, they can't actually bring themselves to read what they are contradicting....

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 122 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

@mstone   Yours is an interesting comment!

It raises the question if WiFi in conjunction with an iPad is a contributing factor to Apple's blowout lead in online purchasing!

I know in our household, we stayed away from the stores on Thu-Sun, and did our shopping on "impulse" using iPads -- while sitting around enjoying the holiday.  We could browse, compare, discuss and purchase with the greatest ease and convenience -- using iPads over WiFi.  

For example my daughter wanted a new over-the-range microwave. We were able to comparison-shop,  read the user & installation manuals and schedule store pickup.

It just wouldn't have happened using a smaller iPhone display or cellular data network.

I am happy to hear of your happy shopping experience, but (a) what's wrong with cellular data networks? [In my experience they are easily as fast as WiFi for the sort of thing you are doing -- downloading MS Office might be a different matter]. (b) I find the iPad terrible for this sort of thing, as compared to a computer (which has a much bigger screen and can have several windows open at the same time).

• Reply 123 of 154
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do you seriously think anyone believes that? Why did you even mention cafes? People travel everywhere they go. Why does their destination matter? If you meant TRAVEL then the rest of your argument is baseless because unless they have constant wifi while they TRAVEL the maps program is useless.

Yes, I do believe that. What does maps have to do with WiFi? A Garmin has no WiFi, and operates perfectly well, so if mapping software requires constant connectivity, it is badly designed.

Most of the map apps do require connectivity - unless you plan ahead and preload. There are a few apps that allow permanent (offline) map storage, and some are quite good, but they do take up large (GBs) of space. They work well for navigation outside service areas though.

• Reply 124 of 154
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

What does maps have to do with WiFi? 

Based off your initial argument regarding the use of GPS and that cafe goers would be using wifi. 

Originally Posted by igriv 

I don't tend to agree with this, since people use WiFi devices in cafes and such a lot.

Sorry if I jumped to the conclusion that you meant they were using maps at the cafe. I do remember reading something about cached maps but had forgotten it until reminded just now. It still seems to be a less than efficient method and means you can't really interact with the device in route but whatever. I suppose if you compared it to the Nexus 7 WiFi only which does have GPS, that would probably be a better choice for you.

• Reply 125 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    What percentage of touted Android activations are Galaxy Notes?

Too bad these figures aren't released, I'll go out on a limb and say it would be a small fraction of one percent.

The disingenuousness of the "Android is winning" argument, use examples of high end devices when real world figures indicate this is not the case.

One only has to look at Android OS versions to see how little marketshare these flagship devices with ICS or later are taking. 

http://www.androidcentral.com/5-million-samsung-galaxy-note-2-s-have-been-sold-worldwide
  • Reply 126 of 154

Quote:

Quote:

@mstone   Yours is an interesting comment!

It raises the question if WiFi in conjunction with an iPad is a contributing factor to Apple's blowout lead in online purchasing!

I know in our household, we stayed away from the stores on Thu-Sun, and did our shopping on "impulse" using iPads -- while sitting around enjoying the holiday.  We could browse, compare, discuss and purchase with the greatest ease and convenience -- using iPads over WiFi.  

For example my daughter wanted a new over-the-range microwave. We were able to comparison-shop,  read the user & installation manuals and schedule store pickup.

It just wouldn't have happened using a smaller iPhone display or cellular data network.

I am happy to hear of your happy shopping experience, but (a) what's wrong with cellular data networks? [In my experience they are easily as fast as WiFi for the sort of thing you are doing -- downloading MS Office might be a different matter]. (b) I find the iPad terrible for this sort of thing, as compared to a computer (which has a much bigger screen and can have several windows open at the same time).

1) Cellular data is expensive

2) The iPad is excellent for online shopping when you are sitting around the family room (reading, talking, listening to music, playing games, watching TV).  On a whim you can grab the iPad next to you and:  get in, get it done and get out (maybe during a commercial).

Certainly, one could:  get up, go to the computer, sit down... and all that entails.

For the kind of extemporaneous shopping (or surfing) described in my post it beats a computer for convenience...

I equate that activity to changing channels on the TV without a remote control -- it's a real PITA to get up, go over, change, come back... so much so, that you probably put it off as long as you can.

The iPad-WiFi combo is your remote control for the Internet!

• Reply 127 of 154
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

How is what you say relevant to my post?

Galaxy Note buyers form a very small part of smartphone buyers in general, the impact of people choosing a Galaxy Note over an iPhone is negligible.

Seeing as how you brought the Galaxy Note up as an example of Apple failing, by "losing" marketshare while simultaneously increasing overall iOS device sales.

Time and time again usage stats showing iOS's dominance indicate that most Android devices are sold to new smartphone customers, updating from feature phones and continuing to use their new Android based smartphones as feature phones.

• Reply 128 of 154

So, a few days of Google's touted "activations", a small fraction of a percent of overall Android "sales".

Showing my conjecture was correct.

Thanks.

• Reply 129 of 154

Quote:

A relative term, I am now paying a tenth of what I was paying for cellphone service in the nineties, with more data, calls and SMS than I can use.

• Reply 130 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Galaxy Note buyers form a very small part of smartphone buyers in general, the impact of people choosing a Galaxy Note over an iPhone is negligible.

Seeing as how you brought the Galaxy Note up as an example of Apple failing, by "losing" marketshare while simultaneously increasing overall iOS device sales.

Time and time again usage stats showing iOS's dominance indicate that most Android devices are sold to new smartphone customers, updating from feature phones and continuing to use their new Android based smartphones as feature phones.

Why don't you read my post again, and tell me how what you are reporting is remotely related to the original?

• Reply 131 of 154

Quote:

Quote:

A relative term, I am now paying a tenth of what I was paying for cellphone service in the nineties, with more data, calls and SMS than I can use.

Yeah, but....

My 14-year-old grandson got an iP5 -- when the first bill came he was charged $540 overage on his $20 300MB data plan...

The big culprit was playing game apps which have an on-line component.   We set in place a new rule that any online activities are limited to when he has WiFi access.

• Reply 132 of 154

Quote:

Exactly. It takes a LONG time to run up a lot of cellular data if you are just comparison shopping (as opposed to streaming Lord of the Rings).

• Reply 133 of 154

Quote:

Yeah, but....

My 14-year-old grandson got an iP5 -- when the first bill came he was charged $540 overage on his $20 300MB data plan...

The big culprit was playing game apps which have an on-line component.   We set in place a new rule that any online activities are limited to when he has WiFi access.

The overage charge is a little surprising. In my experience the carriers send you warnings when you run over your allotment, so your grandson may be a teeny bit to blame....

• Reply 134 of 154

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, but....

The overage charge is a little surprising. In my experience the carriers send you warnings when you run over your allotment, so your grandson may be a teeny bit to blame....

It's an ATT family plan and we all now have iPhones -- the 2 boys got theirs about two months ago.  ATT did send us a warning that one of the boys was nearing his limit -- but nothing for the iP5 that ran 8,268 MB... go figure...

• Reply 135 of 154

Quote:

So, a few days of Google's touted "activations", a small fraction of a percent of overall Android "sales".

Showing my conjecture was correct.

Thanks.

Actually 1%, and that's just Galaxy Note 2, and that's in just under two months (according to the link responded to).  Cnet reports very healthy Galaxy SIII growth, on top of the "several million" that have already been sold. So, I think Samsung "top of the line" phones account for a few percent (5-10%) at least of the Android total. Nexus 4 (a high end phone also) sold out in (literally) minutes in many markets. So, yes, the iPhone may be wonderful in all ways (I certainly like mine), but let's not be delusional.

• Reply 136 of 154

Quote:

It's an ATT family plan and we all now have iPhones -- the 2 boys got theirs about two months ago.  ATT did send us a warning that one of the boys was nearing his limit -- but nothing for the iP5 that ran 8,268 MB... go figure...

Well, they (ATT) are weasels, alas, I am saddened, but not too surprised...

• Reply 137 of 154
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Ugh. Same flawed analysis as usual.

1) iOS still has a larger installed base than Android.  This advantage is significantly amplified in tablets.

2) Black Friday is a US phenomenon that spills over into Canada and somewhat into the UK and Australian retail markets.  These are areas where iOS does outsell or is at parity with Android.

Those two facts alone should offer a plausible explanation why more people are shopping with an iOS device.  Still, some will see what they want to see.....

• Reply 138 of 154
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jetz wrote: »
    Ugh. Same flawed analysis as usual.

1) iOS still has a larger installed base than Android.

I don't think that's accurate. Now, if you take Android-based phones that I would classify as smartphones and not what I would call a modern day feature phone running Android OS then I would say it's a correct that iOS has a larger installed based than Android on smartphones.
  • Reply 139 of 154

The dif between Android and Apple purchasing online will only grow as cheaper and cheaper buyers get cheaper and cheaper Android devices. The Android sector will end up a mile wide and and inch thin apropos purchasing. Good luck to Google and Amazon recouping costs "making it up on volume."

• Reply 140 of 154

Quote:

Actually 1%, and that's just Galaxy Note 2, and that's in just under two months (according to the link responded to).  Cnet reports very healthy Galaxy SIII growth, on top of the "several million" that have already been sold. So, I think Samsung "top of the line" phones account for a few percent (5-10%) at least of the Android total. Nexus 4 (a high end phone also) sold out in (literally) minutes in many markets. So, yes, the iPhone may be wonderful in all ways (I certainly like mine), but let's not be delusional.

If i told you, that only someone very stupid would buy a galaxy s3, what would you answer?

first of all, it is absolutely destroyed by the iPhone in every single way (speed, graphics, camera, screen, build, weight, design, OS). Second, there's much better android devices, like de droid dna, x+, even the note... even if all of those are destroyed by the iphone too.

Why would anyone besides someone very very stupid buy a s3?