IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android

Comments

• Reply 41 of 154

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

…only discerning clients will buy the superior Apple devices which is fine because it will still be the gold standard.

So iOS is gold and Android is the dollar. Interesting that the metaphor continues beyond this, in that they just keep printing off more Android crap and shoveling it into the market.

• Reply 42 of 154

"Oh my god.. how awesome are we? We have out shopped everyone."

• Reply 43 of 154
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

I come to this forum from time to time and it seems you folks are stuck in some sort of time warp. Android phones are now 5 times more common than Iphones, while Android tablets are now just reaching the same number of users as IPads. When I used to have an IPhone (2 years ago) Android had about 1/5th as many users as IPhone and the IPad dominated the tablet market (the market then was only IPad and a few leftover tablet PCs). The party is over guys, and the crowd has moved on. You can cherry pick some stat or another that seems to show some great significance still left in IOs devices but the simple fact is that IOS just isn't what it once was. Undoubtedly Apple still makes tons of money, but just as surely they are bleeding market share month after month. There is only so long Apple can continue to lose market share before they again become a niche brand (like they were in PCs), and all the statistics that purport to show otherwise won't change that fact.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I believe (don't know whether IBM agrees or not) that the reason that Android is increasing market share is that smart phones are penetrating further downmarket, and most of that is android. Apple continues to dominate the top end (where the profits are), but I agree that they have to come out with something for the low-high-end.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 44 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

But, but, but, Android has nearly 70% smartphone market share and will be at 90% within two years...  Right before apple closes down with a "Going out of business" sign on all their retail store windows.  All the BRIC nations' consumers will be buying $25 Android devices.  America is the last bastion of Apple device sales.  Ask anyone on Wall Street as to why Apple has a P/E of 14 and Google has a P/E of 20 and they'll tell you that Apple has no future because Android is the future of the world smartphone industry.  Even now, Wall Street considers the iPhone as a minor footnote of smartphone history.  For every one iPhone Apple sells in China there will be 9,999 Android smartphones sold.  The odds are staggering.  There will be at least five Android smartphones for every living human on earth by the year 2020 if you've been able to plot the Android smartphone growth curve.  Android smartphones will outnumber cockroaches by 2025 and outnumber grains of sand by 2030.  You think the iPhone and Apple can withstand that onslaught of Android smartphones?  I don't think so.  Apple is doomed.  Sell Apple now.

/s

Every cockroach will have five android phones! I am moving to Mars...

• Reply 45 of 154

Quote:

This is mostly true but what does that say about the world as a whole? To settle for Android rather than select iOS is a mediocrity that civilized society has voted overwhelmingly against, with their wallets. As Android overtakes all other options, and becomes a commoditified mobile marketplace like Windows is today, only discerning clients will buy the superior Apple devices which is fine because it will still be the gold standard.

The world is going to hell in a hand basket, but while only discerning clients buy Ferraris, Ferrari is owned by Fiat. I am sure Tim Cook et Cie. do not share your smug attitude -- apple almost went out of business once, and they know very well that they need to address the low end penetration (lascivious as it does sound) problem.

• Reply 46 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

According to their last statement iMessage is sending 2.5B messages per day. That's 4 to 1 in favour of WhatsApp. But lets remember that WhatsApp services a great many more devices, including iDevices, whereas iMessage only serves iDevices and Macs. It's like Android OS on devices, with so many more vendor no single vendor should be overtaking them. Same goes for this cross-platform app.

Except for the fact that WhatsApp is not the only app of its ilk (there is, for example, Skype, which is very popular), whereas iMessage IS used on every iDevice. Point being, I am not sure what the numbers say, and neither are you.

• Reply 47 of 154
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

but Android is winning because Google is activiation 1 Billion devices a month! Just goes to show you the "raw" OS data doesn't mean crap.  a great majority of iPhone users use it as more than a phone while a great number of Android users use it primarily as a phone.

If the vast majority of Android users are using their devices primarily as phones, then that doesn't bode all that well for the platform, now does it?

• Reply 48 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireside View Post

Of course, to you, and some others apparently, USA = the world and ALL people get their Christmas shopping ONLINE. Although, Apple iGadgets will continue hemorrhaging marketshare as latest numbers show since Andoid finally chomps down on Apple's lunch after very much eats everybody else's lunch previously. you DO need your Xanax. 

Apple has failed to make a dent on the market outside of US, Canada, Australia, UK and some Western European countries, and these are countries where markets are already saturated with tech gadgets. If Apple wants to really compete elsewhere, well, there is only one way..., reduce its gadget's price. And. since Apple prefer to play in the high margin sandbox then that's not gonna happen. 

Facts: 

-Almost HALF of the people surveyed in 2011 REFUSED to make a purchase online.

-In total, LESS than 15% of ALL SALES are done online.

-In "less fortunate" countries, AKA the third world,  and the BRIC, the above corresponding numbers  are even more dismal. This is where the MOST of the GROWTH comes from, and Apple's iGadgets are barely showing on the radar there or, worse, not at all. 

Apple is losing market share in BRICS, but it has quite a bit. In India: 17%, China: 10%, Russia 7% (of smartphone sales). So, you obviously did not research before posting.

• Reply 49 of 154
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

The world is going to hell in a hand basket, but while only discerning clients buy Ferraris, Ferrari is owned by Fiat. I am sure Tim Cook et Cie. do not share your smug attitude -- apple almost went out of business once, and they know very well that they need to address the low end penetration (lascivious as it does sound) problem.

It is easy to draw extremes however unlike Ferrari, many discerning clients select BMW 328i or even the 128, which are not all that expensive. They would rather select premium brands than a Hyundai or Kia even though those autos are pretty fine copies of the original german designs. If Apple ever delivers a device that is clearly outclassed by the competition just to target the low end of the market then the brand will become tarnished. Thankfully that has not happened although I still worry that they might release some bargain basement version of iOS to appease the peasants who long for the shiny Apple logo on the cheap.

• Reply 50 of 154

Quote:

It is easy to draw extremes however unlike Ferrari, many discerning clients select BMW 328i or even the 128, which are not all that expensive. They would rather select premium brands than a Hyundai or Kia even though those autos are pretty fine copies of the original german designs. If Apple ever delivers a device that is clearly outclassed by the competition just to target the low end of the market then the brand will become tarnished. Thankfully that has not happened although I still worry that they might release some bargain basement version of iOS to appease the peasants who long for the shiny Apple logo on the cheap.

That's exactly the point: Apple has a difficult problem to solve, especially as the feature set of smartphones is much narrower than that of cars (e.g., the 128 is smaller, so it is not really for people with family -- the 7series is essentially limos, you can differentiate within a group by dropping in bigger engines, etc.), and since smartphones are essentially disposable, there is only so much mileage you can get from build quality. Notice that the iPad mini is an attempt to go after the low end, but Apple clearly compromised (no Retina, no GPS...) and even so the device is not much cheaper than the iPad. It is, apparently selling well, though I was at BestBuy yesterday, and they had stock up the wazoo.

• Reply 51 of 154
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    igriv wrote: »
    Except for the fact that WhatsApp is not the only app of its ilk (there is, for example, Skype, which is very popular), whereas iMessage IS used on every iDevice. Point being, I am not sure what the numbers say, and neither are you.

1) No it's not.

2) Yes I do.
  • Reply 52 of 154
    I guess I must be one of the "5.5%" as I purchased a Samsung Note 2 on the weekend. I'm loving the huge 5.5" screen and widgets in android. I don't miss my iPhone 3GS _at all_.

• Reply 53 of 154

Quote:

Quote:

Notice that the iPad mini is an attempt to go after the low end, but Apple clearly compromised (no Retina, no GPS...) 

No GPS? Oh no! I bought the LTE version thinking I would get GPS. Let me go research this. I'll be back.

Edit: Assisted GPS and GLONASS as per Apple tech specs.

• Reply 54 of 154

Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post

I guess I must be one of the "5.5%" as I purchased a Samsung Note 2 on the weekend. I'm loving the huge 5.5" screen and widgets in android. I don't miss my iPhone 3GS _at all_.

Sounds like you never wanted a phone in the first place. The Note 2 isn't even marketed as one. Talk about a true identity crisis. Too small to be a tablet, too big to be a phone!

It's around the same size as a Newton, yeah? Or a Palm Pilot. And has the stylus of one, too!

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No GPS? Oh no! I bought the LTE version thinking I would get GPS. Let me go research this. I'll be back.

Wi-Fi doesn't have it, which is expected. Cellular does.

Interesting that the "compare" page for iPads doesn't show the iPad 2 as having GPS… But… it totally did/does, right? Even the first iPad had it.

• Reply 55 of 154

1.  It is shame and pity that no brainer like you would go to "ask" "Wall Street" people..  It is like you ask for help from the person who robbed your money..   Using wall street people's words to "brag" about and support your points is even more ridiculous.   Wall street people dump you shit and you eat it.

2.  Android is evil, simply because Google CEO is an evil who stole iOS.  In this world everything will eventually get its fair share , it is just a matter of time.  Google stole and Samsung stole, they will be punished and lose everything they have stolen, that's God's will and it can not be changed.  It is just a matter of time.  Nokia will come in and kick their ass.

3.  How Apple is doing and will do, you idiots will see it.  Time will prove everything.  Yes, I suggest you sell Apple and buy GOOG, because I wish you loose miserably.  Do it now.

• Reply 56 of 154
    Interesting that the "compare" page for iPads doesn't show the iPad 2 as having GPS… But… it totally did/does, right? Even the first iPad had it.

It mentions A-GPS.

• Reply 57 of 154

Quote:

...even so the device is not much cheaper than the iPad. It is, apparently selling well, though I was at BestBuy yesterday, and they had stock up the wazoo.

Well, the rumor on the street was they ordered 10 million minis for the holiday season so they probably expect to sell them all. We'll have to wait and see.

• Reply 58 of 154

It mentions A-GPS.

Weird.

iPad Mini                                iPad 2                                iPad 4

Almost seems like a purposeful omission…

• Reply 59 of 154

AI was dead all weekend, but this story has caused everyone to come out of the woodwork. Nothing seems to pi$$ people off as much as a story painting Apple or Apple devices in a good light.

And as I (and others) have said over and over, most Android devices being sold are low-end units that people don't even use as smartphones. No wonder developers continue to favor iOS.

• Reply 60 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It mentions A-GPS.

Weird.

Almost seems like a purposeful omission…

Perhaps it has something to do with no GLONASS support although it would seem logical to mention that only in Russia, Right?.