IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android

Comments

• Reply 61 of 154
    Weird.

iPad Mini                                iPad 2                                iPad 4
    LL

Almost seems like a purposeful omission…

The iPad 2 doesn't have GLONASS but it is odd they wouldn't include a mention of the GPS it has.

PS: I don't think I knew Sprint had the iPad (4) and iPad mini.
  • Reply 62 of 154
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It's crazy that 10% of all internet shopping is attributed to a single product line of one company.
  • Reply 63 of 154
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No GPS? Oh no! I bought the LTE version thinking I would get GPS. Let me go research this. I'll be back.

Edit: Assisted GPS and GLONASS as per Apple tech specs.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I was thinking of the WiFi version. I believe the full-size iPad has it in both version.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 64 of 154
    igriv wrote: »
    I was thinking of the WiFi version. I believe the full-size iPad has it in both version.

This is very simple. GPS is in all the products Apple makes that also include cellular HW.
  • Reply 65 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The iPad 2 doesn't have GLONASS but it is odd they wouldn't include a mention of the GPS it has.

PS: I don't think I knew Sprint had the iPad (4) and iPad mini.

I was shocked to discover that you are right: NO WiFi only iPad has GPS, since the Cellular enabled iPads use the cell towers for the assist. One lives and learns.

• Reply 66 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well, the rumor on the street was they ordered 10 million minis for the holiday season so they probably expect to sell them all. We'll have to wait and see.

I am sure they will do fine, though I was surprised that the BestBuy (and in particular the apple section) were almost empty on saturday after black friday, especially given that the full-size iPad (with LTE) were selling at $60 off list, about a week after it was officially released.

• Reply 67 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamhereforfun View Post

1.  It is shame and pity that no brainer like you would go to "ask" "Wall Street" people..  It is like you ask for help from the person who robbed your money..   Using wall street people's words to "brag" about and support your points is even more ridiculous.   Wall street people dump you shit and you eat it.

2.  Android is evil, simply because Google CEO is an evil who stole iOS.  In this world everything will eventually get its fair share , it is just a matter of time.  Google stole and Samsung stole, they will be punished and lose everything they have stolen, that's God's will and it can not be changed.  It is just a matter of time.  Nokia will come in and kick their ass.

3.  How Apple is doing and will do, you idiots will see it.  Time will prove everything.  Yes, I suggest you sell Apple and buy GOOG, because I wish you loose miserably.  Do it now.

Where is our Global Moderator when we need him???

• Reply 68 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) No it's not.

2) Yes I do.

What do you?

• Reply 69 of 154
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This makes perfect sense, and it hardly comes as any surprise to me. I've written this many, many times before, but a great many Android users are cheapskates, and that is part of the reason why their whole eco-system sucks monkeyballs. All of the data out there supports this conclusion. We hear about gazillions of activations every day, yet Android people apparently use their phones and tablets mainly as dummy phones, since their presence on the web and on e-commerce sites is embarrassingly low and laughable.

In spite of what delusional Fandroid trolls might claim and lie about, it's pretty clear that almost everybody who has money to spend, belongs to the Apple eco-system. 

If somebody willingly chooses to buy an Android device, I believe that there are only two main explanations, one is that the person is an Apple-hater and their hatred is so extreme that they willingly choose to use crappy Android devices running an inferior OS, and the second explanation is that the person is simply flat broke. I believe that most Android users are part of the latter category.

Apple users are happily surfing on their devices, using tons of money and buying up stuff online, taking advantage of great Black Friday sales, while most Android users are not ordering much at all through their devices, and they're merely sitting at home in their parent's basements, filled with blind rage and jealousy, trolling Apple forums, like the losers that they are. Android users are also technically ignorant, as many of them suffer from spec-syndrome derangement, and they totally fail to recognize that the end user experience is about a whole lot more than just a bunch of numbers on a piece of paper or on a web site. Anybody with two, normally functioning eyes can easily see the superiority of Apple's devices.

• Reply 70 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This makes perfect sense, and it hardly comes as any surprise to me. I've written this many, many times before, but a great many Android users are cheapskates, and that is part of the reason why their whole eco-system sucks monkeyballs. All of the data out there supports this conclusion. We hear about gazillions of activations every day, yet Android people apparently use their phones and tablets as dummy phones, since their presence on the web and on e-commerce sites is embarrassingly low and laughable.

In spite of what delusional Fandroid trolls might claim and lie about, it's pretty clear that almost everybody who has money to spend, belongs to the Apple eco-system. 

If somebody willingly chooses to buy an Android device, I believe that there are only two main explanations, one is that the person is an Apple-hater and their hatred is so extreme that they willingly choose to use crappy Android devices running an inferior OS, and the second explanation is that the person is simply flat broke. I believe that most Android users are part of the latter category.

Apple users are happily surfing on their devices, using tons of money and buying up stuff online, taking advantage of great Black Friday sales, while most Android users are not ordering much at all through their devices, and they're merely sitting at home in their parent's basements, filled with blind rage and jealousy, trolling Apple forums, like the losers that they are. Android users are also technically ignorant, as many of them suffer from spec-syndrome derangement, and they totally fail to recognize that the end user experience is about a whole lot more than just a bunch of numbers on a piece of paper or on a web site. Anybody with two, normally functioning eyes can easily see the superiority of Apple's devices.

I am sorry to say that you are somewhat delusional. It IS true (in my experience) that MOST people who can afford apple devices buy them, but most does not mean all. Some devices (Samsung Notes of various flavors) offer features (decently integrated stylus input) Apple does not offer, and some people obviously want. Some people believe the Swype technology superior for text entry. Some people want Flash. Some people believe that Google products on Android devices work better. Some people like being able to "root" their devices. Some people like the Amazon ecosystem (no, no phones, but lots of tablets), and the fact that, say, watching movies, is relatively seamless on the various Kindle variants is a big plus.

Point is, having a closed system (iOS) is good, in that you get to keep out the riffraff, and bad, since no one company can keep up with all the cool stuff going on in the tech world. So far, the closed system has won out in the top end, who knows what the future will bring.

• Reply 71 of 154

And just to add one thing.

I sure feel sorry for any kids out there who might wake up on Christmas morning and they excitedly run to retrieve their packages under the tree and after opening them, they find out that their parents cheaped out and they find some sort of Android tablet in the box.

I was reading this one thread on the Anandtech forum about some guy whose daughter wished for an Apple device and the father was thinking about getting some Android tablet instead. That is going to be one disappointed child, come Christmas, and it will have ramifications that will last for years, perhaps a whole lifetime.image

I almost liken buying an Android tablet for a child as child abuse. I would never in my wildest dreams ever give any kid of mine an Android tablet, if I had any kids. You are setting them up for low expectations and failure later on in life, in my humble opinion.

• Reply 72 of 154

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Point is, having a closed system (iOS) is good, in that you get to keep out the riffraff, and bad, since no one company can keep up with all the cool stuff going on in the tech world. So far, the closed system has won out in the top end, who knows what the future will bring.

Viruses, malware, all manner of intrusions, many of which will be able to affect your voice, message, and data bills, and SOFTWARE designed to slow down your PHONE to combat these threats.

But not on my platform! 

We already know what the future will bring. Played out in the late '80s and early '90s. Seen that movie. Don't need to see the reboot (neat, a cross-profession reference) to know how it one ends.

• Reply 73 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Viruses, malware, all manner of intrusions, many of which will be able to affect your voice, message, and data bills, and SOFTWARE designed to slow down your PHONE to combat these threats.

But not on my platform! 

We already know what the future will bring. Played out in the late '80s and early '90s. Seen that movie. Don't need to see the reboot (neat, a cross-profession reference) to know how it one ends.

Well, Android is a linux system. Linux is a unix variant. From the other posts we see that there are now more android computing devices than anything else, despite (because of?) the fact that Google still doesn't make money on Android. Linux was running a poor third to windows and Mac OS, suddenly it is dominant, at least in unit shipments. That's what viral exponential growth will get you. Is this a good thing? As you say, right now there are some issues. In the long run, who knows?

• Reply 74 of 154

Quote:

And just to add one thing.

I sure feel sorry for any kids out there who might wake up on Christmas morning and they excitedly run to retrieve their packages under the tree and after opening them, they find out that their parents cheaped out and they find some sort of Android tablet in the box.

I was reading this one thread on the Anandtech forum about some guy whose daughter wished for an Apple device and the father was thinking about getting some Android tablet instead. That is going to be one disappointed child, come Christmas, and it will have ramifications that will last for years, perhaps a whole lifetime.image

I almost liken buying an Android tablet for a child as child abuse. I would never in my wildest dreams ever give any kid of mine an Android tablet, if I had any kids. You are setting them up for low expectations and failure later on in life, in my humble opinion.

IMO it's the opposite, you can't let your children just have something because he/she wished for it. Get him/her an android device and make him/her work for an iOS device after he/she showed maturity of handling a (worse) device. That would actually help the children's future.

• Reply 75 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

IMO it's the opposite, you can't let your children just have something because he/she wished for it. Get him/her an android device and make him/her work for an iOS device after he/she showed maturity of handling a (worse) device. That would actually help the children's future.

I'd agree with you if the Apple device were insanely expensive or out of reach. Something like an iPad Mini is not something that is unreasonable for a kid to ask for, IMO, especially when many of their friends and people in school will have such devices.

When I was a kid, I fantasized about getting an Apple ][ for my birthday or for the holidays one year, but I knew that it was so out of the question, that I never even made my parents aware that I wanted one, since I might as well have been asking for a Ferrari or something. I asked for an Atari 800 instead, and I got it, and I was extremely happy with that.

I wouldn't buy my kid (if I had any kids) a Mac Pro, if they asked for one, but something like an iPad Mini? Sure.

• Reply 76 of 154
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

You know what? We are not far apart on this one, ironically. The only exception I might make is that only a small percentage of Android users are militant basement dwellers. The large majority of the Android users are hard working low income people whom I know you distain. Nevertheless they choose Android phones over iPhones because they can procure them for no money down with month to month payment options on third tier networks. Of course there are also the super tech nerds who make up a small but vocal minority, but that is a different discussion.

• Reply 77 of 154

I dunno... would you really spend a couple hundred dollars on a "practice" Android tablet?

Even if butterfingers run in your family... it might be better to put that money into an Otterbox for the iPad... rather than buying an Android tablet (they don't even want) to test their handling skills.

Maybe get some juggling lessons first instead of wasting money on an Android tablet 8-)
  • Reply 78 of 154

That article is from 2010...

• Reply 79 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsattack View Post

That article is from 2010...

What are you talking about?

The AI post links to an allthingsd article, which is from Nov 25, 2012.

NOVEMBER 25, 2012 AT 10:00 AM PT

And the allthingsd article links to an IBM holiday benchmark infrographic, which is called BF 2012.

• Reply 80 of 154
    <h1 class="forum-h1" id="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1353888512184_813" style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:15px;padding-bottom:4px;font-size:26px;line-height:1em;color:rgb(58,66,73);font-family:FranklinGothicFSCdRegular;">IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android</h1>

Is it just me or do these AI writers need to re-think how they write headlines? It's quite often that the headline doesn't match the meat of the content. It wasn't until I read the article that I realized D.E.D. was not talking about Apple selling 3.3x more iOS devices than Android-based devices over the weekend.

The inference is through probability that it is more than 3.3: 1 likely with that ratio of point of sales via iOS devices to those of all other devices makes it highly probable that their purchases in electronics will be for more iOS devices and not Android devices.