Apple's iPad mini already on pace to outsell Retina iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 239
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

I'm guessing Apple will simply create a retina iPad mini next year at the same $329 price point with the current non-retina one dropping to $249.

This won't make early adopters happy, but perhaps it'll please stockholders. 

While it would be nice to see price cuts across the line. But heck, with 6 mil iPad minis sold, they don't need to.

• Reply 102 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I'm guessing Apple will simply create a retina iPad mini next year at the same $329 price point with the current non-retina one dropping to $249.

This won't make early adopters happy, but perhaps it'll please stockholders. 

While it would be nice to see price cuts across the line. But heck, with 6 mil iPad minis sold, they don't need to.

I hope they add a kickstand...

• Reply 103 of 239
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    I love my Mini, got a VZ variant, and to be brutally honest in my heart of geek hearts, I'd buy a giant iPhone/Mini phablet in a heartbeat.

Throw in a BT headset and you're golden, hell, I'd hold it up to my head just to show it off :smokey:
  • Reply 104 of 239
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Stupid Walmart PR sends out a release saying they're discounting the 4th gen iPad to $399 and then has to correct themselves later in the day that its actually the 3rd gen being discounted (duh). Of course this spreads all over the www with people predicting iPad sales tanking. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 105 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Stupid Walmart PR sends out a release saying they're discounting the 4th gen iPad to $399 and then has to correct themselves later in the day that its actually the 3rd gen being discounted (duh). Of course this spreads all over the www with people predicting iPad sales tanking. image

Tanks for that.  image

• Reply 106 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Thanks for the update Rogifan. I sent a buddy to Walmart to get the iPad deal and they said they knew nothing about it. I told him to wait and check again tomorrow. Because of your post I went to 9to5 to find that you're dead-on right. So while the $127 iPhone5 is a legit deal, the iPad for $399 is the 3 not the 4. I'll call my friend and tell him not to waste his time going back.

• Reply 107 of 239
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That I keep saying it's a terrible idea shows that this isn't the case, I'd think.

Who are YOU kidding? How big is your desk? Tell me that 27" wouldn't become too small a workspace for you after a few weeks of having a touchscreen UI on it. 40" would be glorious. I dunno, I know I'm on the high end of that, but 21.5" is definitely too small to start.

The 15" MacBook Pro isn't a niche product. Come on, man.

Wacom uses a 24" 16:10 touch screen as a drawing surface. It looks like a decent size. The premise of the article is unsurprising to me. They lowered the cost of entry. I would be surprised if either rmbp outsold the 11" or 13" air.

• Reply 108 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

This isn't their idea...this was first introduced by an Apple UI alumnus in 1992 while working at Sun...Bruce Tognazzini:

http://www.asktog.com/starfire/

Just remember it's from 1992 and it's a corporate video. :)  It's rather non-apple though.  I dunno if I see the iMac going in this direction because it's so big but you need both a vertical and horizontal work surface for effective touch.   

Still if you watch the video you get to see iChat, a tablet, skeuomorphic UI (that nobody will understand since film canisters doesn't exist anymore) and bad 90s hair.

There are some interesting features that are not in the video such as tactile feedback by providing a raised goosebumps where the paper is displayed, the ability to print by throwing the document toward the table edge that has a printer installed, etc. 

Thanks a million for the videos. I was particularly struck by the thick laptop shown in the boardroom scene. I'm sure they were thinking long and hard about how thin a laptop should be in the imagined future and still got something as chunky as '70s shoes...

• Reply 109 of 239
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

If these figures are correct then it's really bad for Android tablets. The iPad is basically going to be another iPod, totally dominating until such time as it's entire category becomes obsolete.

• Reply 110 of 239

Quote:

The 15" MacBook Pro isn't a niche product. Come on, man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Wacom uses a 24" 16:10 touch screen as a drawing surface. It looks like a decent size. The premise of the article is unsurprising to me. They lowered the cost of entry. I would be surprised if either rmbp outsold the 11" or 13" air.

Apparently the 17" MBP was a niche product though. I use my 15" MBP as a presentation unit for one-on-one and small groups. For getting work done I can see the light weight and smaller size MBA being a better choice on the road, and I love my 27" iMac for displaying multiple pages of documents. A 24" iPad would be my choice for a portable display unit for presentations if the weight didn't get out of control. 

I think it's essential to consider how a person intends to USE any device. There are times when the device is creating content and times when it is being used to present content (and I'm not talking about entertainment necessarily). There are times when one is working in an office and times when one is creating content on the road. Size, weight, costs, and utility are all variable considerations they each person values differently due to their unique situations.

• Reply 111 of 239

Mini  is a MULTI-task device. It will surpass Kindle and Nook even though it is priced higher. Size is right!!  Price is right!!

• Reply 112 of 239
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    ascii wrote: »
    If these figures are correct then it's really bad for Android tablets. The iPad is basically going to be another iPod, totally dominating until such time as it's entire category becomes obsolete.

Yep, that's exactly what's happening.

I bought a nexus 7, a PlayBook, Kindle Fire, HTC Flyer, and the iPad Mini is easily the best of all, it's fast enough, the resolution is good enough, it fits in my back pocket when I go to lunch, functions as a great remote for my Wifi enabled home stereo, and I can carry it back & forth to work in my man bag.

I work in a large hospital in LA, and I see patients/families carrying the iPad 2, and 3, they'll nearly all get replaced by Mini's.

As the costs of manufacturing come down, the retina Mini will take over the world...

Watching the mobile forums, I'm seeing a trend even among the Android fans of an Android phone and an iPad, and there's lots of chatter about the Mini. Apple nearly owns the tablet sector and clearly owns the premium tablet sector.
  • Reply 113 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I really hope you are correct. I'm a competitive bastard that loves to see the competition struggle for each crumb of business. I wasn't so excited that Apple ruled the iPod market as to see Apple kick Zune to the curb with sales. 

Microsoft has the money to pursue the phone and tablet business bleeding money for years. But if Apple can squash Microsoft's sales so badly, they can send them into full retreat a lot earlier. This leaves the Android platform to bottom feed on thin margins and thin niches. 

• Reply 114 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Stupid Walmart PR sends out a release saying they're discounting the 4th gen iPad to $399 and then has to correct themselves later in the day that its actually the 3rd gen being discounted (duh). Of course this spreads all over the www with people predicting iPad sales tanking. image

Walmart's position is that they will beat ANY advertised price... take in the ad and remind them of their promise to beat advertised prices.

• Reply 115 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I hope they add a kickstand...

... and that it's a noisy as that Surface one? 

I wonder how that typing on a rug is working out for MS...?

• Reply 116 of 239

Quote:

Mmm, delicious. I've thought of those applications specifically, too. I think all OS X applications (where it's feasible) should have their own apps for iPad control. OH! No, too much clutter: ONE app on the iPad, all OS X applications can feed in their custom controls to that app. Don't know what to call it, don't really know what to call what it's doing, even. It's basically adding the iPad as a third input device for… 

… We may have just come up with something big here. Just as the keyboard and mouse are used across all applications, so too would the iPad via this app, doing what both the mouse and keyboard cannot… What a PERFECT way to further help the transition to a fully multitouch desktop OS!

He panned all existing solutions, and he also stated (paraphrase) that "[they] don't think this size is enough to create great tablet apps."

You apparently haven't used a Magic Trackpad yet. I use one with my 27" iMac. It has inertial movement built in so I have very fine control of the position and yet can easily move across the whole screen in one swipe.

• Reply 117 of 239
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Walmart's position is that they will beat ANY advertised price... take in the ad and remind them of their promise to beat advertised prices.

They almost always have fine print that says they're not obligated to match prices that are clearly in error.

Furthermore, the price match says they'll match competitors' prices. There's nothing there about matching their own prices.
  • Reply 118 of 239
    In my opinion a dual screen iPad mini book would be a cool product to have. Imagine 2 iPad minis connected together via a hinge a bit like a notebook. Think of the Microsoft courier that never materialised. Held like a book, the dual screens would allow multitasking and reading a pleasure. Placed like a laptop, the 2nd screen would enable a full screen keyboard to type on therefore allowing the 1st screen to display a full screen app. iPad mini is light and thin enough for this to happen.
  • Reply 119 of 239
    simtub wrote: »
    In my opinion a dual screen iPad mini book would be a cool product to have. Imagine 2 iPad minis connected together via a hinge a bit like a notebook. Think of the Microsoft courier that never materialised. Held like a book, the dual screens would allow multitasking and reading a pleasure. Placed like a laptop, the 2nd screen would enable a full screen keyboard to type on therefore allowing the 1st screen to display a full screen app. iPad mini is light and thin enough for this to happen.

I can't say I'm keen on that. Thumb typing on glass with the iPhone is one thing, especially considering the cramped smartphone keyboards that came before, but replacing a real keyboard just to use an entire lighted display to type just seems like a waste to me. It's even worse tradeoffs than the Surface has.

And how would you support it as a notebook? A "kickstand" like the Surface or a hinge? In either case there are engineering issues that will add thickness, cost and complexity without actually giving you a good notebook experience. Even a netbook starts to look good then.
  • Reply 120 of 239
    Easy to carry and large enough to view, I like it. I got one two days ago.