Apple's iPad mini already on pace to outsell Retina iPad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 239
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What a PERFECT way to further help the transition to a fully multitouch desktop OS!

It's becoming more and more obvious that Apple shares your vision of multitouch computing. Look at the changes to the UI in iTunes 11 and tell me it wasn't designed to accommodate being operated on a touchscreen. Someone even mentioned in another thread that he hates the stupid little arrows that appear next to every title in list view that just do the same thing as right clicking... maybe somebody was thinking about a way to call up that menu when there IS no right click?

• Reply 122 of 239

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

It's becoming more and more obvious that Apple shares your vision of multitouch computing.

Oh, no. I'm always wrong. Apple must have some other tricks up their sleeve. image

• Reply 123 of 239
    I was at the Apple Store yesterday and was really impressed with the mini. The look,thinness and weight was just perfect. Even my wife was impressed. I found the screen better than my iPad2 but obviously no where near the quality of the iPad 4. What you have in the mini is a glimpse of what the next full size iPad might be. Apple has a major hit with the mini.
  • Reply 124 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Unfortunately, it's not the first time one of Steve's strongest beliefs (or at least public statement, if not personal belief) turned out to be wrong. See the one-button mouse. Fortunately, in the past decade, him being wrong has been mercifully rare.

Steve was probably right on target at that point in time, considering the technology that was available for volume production back then. Technology changes quickly, what was not possible or practical then at X price for Y features in just a matter of 2-3 years becomes not only feasible but desirable. Today's dreams becoming tomorrow's products happens rather quickly these days.

• Reply 125 of 239

Mini is a new form factor for the IPAD and is only just available. The 9.7 IPAD form factor has been around for a while and has sold many.  It's hardly surprising that mini will outsell 9.7 IPAD this quarter.

In the long-run, will mini continue to outsell 9.7 IPAD?  It really depends on how Apple refine each form factor.  The ideal device would be one with portability and as big as a retina screen possible. 

• Reply 126 of 239
    I have an iPad 3 and a mini. What I would like is a 9.7 inch iPad Retina, the wight and thinness of a mini. I know, I know...
  • Reply 127 of 239
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    HUH...

Perhaps a smaller iPad was the "perfect size" all along.
    I'd say it was the cheaper price and lighter weight that was "perfect all along". It's the iPod nano all over again. People willing to sacrifice just a little for cheaper, more portable.
  • Reply 128 of 239
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    kolchak wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it's not the first time one of Steve's strongest beliefs (or at least public statement, if not personal belief) turned out to be wrong. See the one-button mouse. Fortunately, in the past decade, him being wrong has been mercifully rare.
    Disagree. The iPad was designed as a device to rival the netbooks and low performance, ultra portable notebook computers, and produce a user experience that was so much more portable, personal and intimate, yet extremely functional...that cold perform tasks every bit as well as a laptop of that class. And they knocked it out of the park.

The iPad mini, was designed to be similar in experience to the original, iPad. But with a focus on even more portability and a fairly string emphasis on entertainment, just watch the 2010 January keynote and compare it to this past September keynote and you'll see a pretty sharp difference in how each is marketed and designed.

My point is, Steve wasn't wrong when he said a 7" tablet is DOA because he might have been suggesting a 7" tablet [from anyone but Apple] is DOA...which, unless you copy the iPad (***roid) it just won't work. Not to mention the ipad mini is really more an 8" than 7" tablet.

My second point is referring to my above statements. If you try to make a 8" tablet that can function like a laptop, it's DitW. But if you design it for its size and purpose, it can be a huge hit.

At first, Apple had a very solid concept for the iPad, to take-on the Netbook craze. But it was the users that made the iPad into the massive entertainment device it is today, and that shift in mindset is clearly how Apple revised its strategy for the mini.
  • Reply 129 of 239

Now imagine how many iPhones with 5 inch screens will Apple sell if they only have the courage to launch such a phone!

• Reply 130 of 239
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Now imagine how many iPhones with 5 inch screens will Apple sell if they only have the courage to launch such a phone!

That makes no sense, at all

<div class="UserSpoiler"><div class="SpoilerTitle">Spoiler: </div><div class="SpoilerReveal"></div><div class="SpoilerText">[video]
  • Reply 131 of 239
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I can't say I'm keen on that. Thumb typing on glass with the iPhone is one thing, especially considering the cramped smartphone keyboards that came before, but replacing a real keyboard just to use an entire lighted display to type just seems like a waste to me. It's even worse tradeoffs than the Surface has.
    And how would you support it as a notebook? A "kickstand" like the Surface or a hinge? In either case there are engineering issues that will add thickness, cost and complexity without actually giving you a good notebook experience. Even a netbook starts to look good then.

Forget about the keyboard. That form factor is perfect for stylus. It's like electronic Planner that is also an e-book reader. In essence, Courier coming to life Apple-style.
  • Reply 132 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It doesn't make sense to you because you lack courage and vision. It makes perfect sense to me and to millions other people who buy 5 inch and bigger phones right now. I didn't and I will not buy the current iPhone 5, but I would probably have bought it if it had a 5 inch display. I just don't care about operating the phone with one hand. The benefits of a much bigger display are overwhelming for me. Apple could just launch both a 4 inch and a 5 inch iPhone. Yes, two more sizes, so what? The developers who want to make money I'm sure they will modify their apps and make them as many sizes as needed. I know I would. Let the successful developer who would not modify his app for a 5 inch display raise his hand!

• Reply 133 of 239
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apparently the 17" MBP was a niche product though. I use my 15" MBP as a presentation unit for one-on-one and small groups. For getting work done I can see the light weight and smaller size MBA being a better choice on the road, and I love my 27" iMac for displaying multiple pages of documents. A 24" iPad would be my choice for a portable display unit for presentations if the weight didn't get out of control. 

I think it's essential to consider how a person intends to USE any device. There are times when the device is creating content and times when it is being used to present content (and I'm not talking about entertainment necessarily). There are times when one is working in an office and times when one is creating content on the road. Size, weight, costs, and utility are all variable considerations they each person values differently due to their unique situations.

I was a little surprised by the removal of the 17". I think they didn't want to come up with a retina design for it. Other oems still make them. They often provide a high margin product, especially in specialized use cases such as gaming notebooks or mobile workstations. Apple doesn't really make an equivalent to either of these, as they don't do purpose built hardware. If the 17" was a niche item, it was likely due to high price and lack of differentiation. It was a general purpose machine with a high price and little differentiation from the 15" outside of real estate. During the powerbook era the most powerful hardware was coupled with the form factor. I forgot the 17" maintained the express card slot, but Apple didn't get a lot of card options there after it disappeared from the 15". I don't blame those companies. Express cards don't carry huge margins, so development costs may be difficult to recoup on a small market. I don't even know how they profit off some of those sub $50 esata cards.

• Reply 134 of 239
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I usually agree with you Phil, but not on this.

I want a phone with a 5"-ish screen for myself.

Tonight my wife told me that she wants the same phone our daughter has because it has a bigger screen making it easier to txt and play games.

The proliferation of big-screen phones I've seen on the train in the last three months tells me that LOTS of people want them and are BUYING them.

It's true that I may not be able to reach all the way across the screen with my thumb. Fortunately, I have two hands, and so do all those people who are using and apparently enjoying them.

• Reply 135 of 239

If IPAD mini can happen, I won't be surprised if Apple designs and sell a larger iphone in future.

We have several sizes of Ipod, now we have 2 sizes for the tablets, I don't see why we won't have more than 1 iphone form factor.

Whatever the management believes at any one time, the marketplace and consumers change and good management will adapt to the customers.

• Reply 136 of 239
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As possible evidence of slacking demand for the larger iPad, Walmart is dropping the price for the Wi-fi 4th Gen to an attractive $399. I'd imagine that should bump up the sales a bit. 

Note too that the iPhone5 is getting a big slash in price, down to $127. Seems a little early to see heavy discounting on the most recent model tho, Perhaps the rumors of another iPhone model announcement in just a couple of months have some validity.

Actually, the discounts only apply to the older iPad models, not the new one -- no real surprise there.

The big price slash on the iPhone5 is also not the first time this has happened; Walmart was discounting them on pre-order back in September. And the actual size of the discount really depends on the price of the two year contract that you HAVE to take out with the phone. I expect that Wal-Mart is seeing a cut of that. 

And I suspect that Wal-Mart probably isn't the go-to place for your typical Apple iPhone customer.

• Reply 137 of 239
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

It doesn't make sense to you because you lack courage and vision. 

Why is it the 'give me five inches or give me death' brigade are always foaming at the mouth? It's very simple: Apple doesn't want to make a big-screen phone (for whatever reason); there are plenty of other companies that do; if having a big screen on your phone is the most important thing to you then just buy another phone.

• Reply 138 of 239

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

The proliferation of big-screen phones I've seen on the train in the last three months tells me that LOTS of people want them and are BUYING them.

No. It tells you that everyone else is too lazy to do any real research into design to miniaturize their parts. It tells you that Android is too uselessly power hungry, forcing phones to have larger batteries, forcing them to be larger. 

• Reply 139 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    pfisher wrote: »
    I was skeptical about the mini. I have an original iPad nad I don't care for the weight or heat of the new iPads.

What heat? My iPad "3" barely gets warm. It's stone cold compared to standard laptops. And it's not noticeably warmer than my original iPad that it replaced.
  • Reply 140 of 239
    nelsonx wrote: »
    It doesn't make sense to you because you lack courage and vision.

Like Apple, you mean?
    It makes perfect sense to me and to millions other people who buy 5 inch and bigger phones right now.

Most of them being cheaper has nothing to do with their choice?
    I didn't and I will not buy the current iPhone 5, but I would probably have bought it if it had a 5 inch display.

TEHO
    I just don't care about operating the phone with one hand. The benefits of a much bigger display are overwhelming for me.

The market agrees with you! (colors are difficult to discern though)

v5v wrote: »
    I usually agree with you Phil, but not on this.

I want a phone with a 5"-ish screen for myself.

Tonight my wife told me that she wants the same phone our daughter has because it has a bigger screen making it easier to txt and play games.

It's true that I may not be able to reach all the way across the screen with my thumb. Fortunately, I have two hands, and so do all those people who are using and apparently enjoying them.

Like I said, TEHO

If 5" is wanted, will a 6" or 7" also be great to you (all)? How about an iPad mini? Although that is not an 8" in that sense of measurement, because of the smaller bezel at the sides compared to the competition.
    No. It tells you that everyone else is too lazy to do any real research into design to miniaturize their parts. It tells you that Android is too uselessly power hungry, forcing phones to have larger batteries, forcing them to be larger. 

Ooh, these are good points. Well founded.