Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors

Comments

• Reply 41 of 174
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmantle View Post

take the ipad mini and add a phone feature to it. bigger is better (according to the Samsung fanboys.)

That's what my mom wants.  May get her Lumia instead.

• Reply 42 of 174
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,811member

I don't see them ever selling 3 sizes at once, at least not 3 current generation models, perhaps if you include phones from previous years. However, I do think that Apple will be forced to offer two display sizes for their future phones. I think they would just keep the current 4" narrow for people that like smaller phones, and offer a wider and larger iPhone somewhere around 4.8". I don't think this is unlikely at all. It might not happen in 2013, but I think it will happen eventually. 

Developers can and will adapt to various Apple display sizes and resolutions. Apple might also have some new tools to make this easier for them that we aren't aware of. Most already develop for Android as well with far more resolutions so it is not as big of a deal as many people make it out to be. 

Before the iPad mini people thought it was just as crazy for Apple to make a smaller iPad. Is it really any more crazy to think Apple might make an even larger iPhone? I think not. That is where the market is heading and Apple will not be left behind. Then in a few years we will all laugh at how dated and small our old iPhones were and wonder how we managed to get by with a 3.5" display. 

• Reply 43 of 174

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

[Yes, I know He was cremated -- you know what I mean ....]

He was buried…

• Reply 44 of 174
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

To be fair, both of you have a regular tendency to use the words "proof" or "prove" or "proved" for matters that are nothing of the kind. 

• Reply 45 of 174

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I think they will keep with the 4" design for some time. The last thing that Apple wants to do is frustrate the developers with yet another resolution size

They can keep the resolution the same and just scale up the screen size. Samsung has shown that people want larger screens, resolution be damned. Anecdotally, I have several friends who have gone with Samsung over Apple for screen size alone.

I think that they might do the colors.

This would seem to be a waste of time considering how many people cover their beautiful phone with a silly case.

• Reply 46 of 174

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

They can keep the resolution the same and just scale up the screen size.

They can, but it would be absolutely horrible.

Samsung has shown that people want larger screens, resolution be damned.

No, not really. Samsung has shown that people are cheap [expletive redacted] who will buy anything, stolen or otherwise, as long as they save cents up front.

• Reply 47 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.

I thought you were joking with this statement, at first.  But seeing how you have stuck to this, I'm curious.

1. Do you understanding the meaning of the word "useless" or are you trying to be hyperbolic?

2. Have you actually used one?

3. What do you do on the iPad that you can't do at all on the iPad Mini?

4. Do you expect all Apple products to fit your exact needs?

5. Are you DaHarder?  Teckstud?

• Reply 48 of 174
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    A decent size screen would be very nice. The incremental change of the iPhone 5 just wasn't worth the angst or the money for me to upgrade from the 4S. Like the idea of colours. but serious consideration needs to be given to price of the 4 and 4S with the next release. The Eco system is the killer at the moment but it won't be that way for very much longer. Get folk hooked on the eco system and they'll hang around. If it just the phone then they will come and go like the wind.  
    4" screen
    A6
    Double ram (1gb)
    Better color reproduction screen
    Slightly better camera
    Much much better aluminum unibody design/build that is both thinner and lighter while providing that bigger screen all the while constructing a new connector to allow for that size
    4G LTE
    Better Wifi
    Better speakers
    Extra noise canceling microphone
    HD FaceTime

Ya.... Pretty "incremental".
  • Reply 49 of 174
    I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.
    Please explain how this is not a troll comment
  • Reply 50 of 174

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Please explain how this is not a troll comment

Apple breaks convention they've formerly held. Silly things like phones .2" larger or smaller are now on the table. You can't really assume what Apple would do until they do it.

• Reply 51 of 174
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    I hope they make the new iPhone in the size of iPhone 4S. To me that's the perfect size.
  • Reply 52 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

4" screen

A6

Double ram (1gb)

Better color reproduction screen

Slightly better camera

Much much better aluminum unibody design/build that is both thinner and lighter while providing that bigger screen all the while constructing a new connector to allow for that size

4G LTE

Better Wifi

HD FaceTime

Ya.... Pretty "incremental".

To you these might seem like huge changes, but to the average consumer the only really noticeable difference was a slightly larger screen and possibly the addition of LTE. Then when you factor in that other phones had had larger screens and LTE for a long time before that it really does start to look rather evolutionary. Apple was also somewhat late to bring a 1.2MP front camera. Now that many phones offer 2.1MP even that is looking dated. It is a given than any new phone should include a faster CPU and GPU. But for Apple to make anything revolutionary they need to offer something not already found on the competition a year earlier and they haven't really done that in a while.

• Reply 53 of 174
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I agree with the others. You calling the iPad mini useless, which may be for you but not for the product itself or it's intended market, sounds awfully trollish.
  • Reply 54 of 174

I bought my Mom an iPad mini and she loves it. She never wanted an iPad because she felt it was too big but the size of the mini is perfect. Personally I like my iPad 3 though I do see the attraction to the mini. Choice and options are a good thing. 

• Reply 55 of 174
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,617member

The general attitude of forum members towards larger and/or smaller Apple devices sure has changed over the last several months going by the responses in this thread. It used to be sub-4" iPhone and 9.7" iPad were the perfect sizes and nothing needed to change. . .  except that another year passed by.

Now those "other sizes" make sense to a whole lot of Apple owners.

• Reply 56 of 174
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Apple could ship a smaller "iPhone mini" with Retina resolution ...

If they double the iPad mini screen resolution from 162 to 324 dpi (resulting in the fabled "Retina iPad mini").

And if they use the Retina iPad mini screen technology in an 1136x640 or 960x640 "iPhone mini."

Using a 324 dpi screen would mean that an 1136x640 "iPhone mini" would have a roughly 3.5" x 2" screen.

Or a roughly 3" x 2" screen with 960x640 screen geometry.  Both of which could run apps built for iOS 5

and later with zero changes.  I think that's essential.  Changing the actual screen geometry, again, could be

painful for many developers with with pixel-perfect graphics in their apps.

Oh, and if Apple does ever ship an "iPhone mini," they'll need to stop numbering the "big" iPhone.

They'd call them "the new iPhone" and "the new iPhone mini" ad infinitum.  Same as iPad / iPad mini.

• Reply 57 of 174
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    More colors like the iPod touch colors?  Maybe an iPhone in the size of the Nano.  Less functionality better portability?  Hmm.  I think Apple should focus more on iPhone brain implants :-).

LOL. You mean to say it's not Android enough...
  • Reply 58 of 174
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I believe the rumor in substance. I think the iPhone should have three screen sizes. The original size, the current size, and a slightly larger size. It worked on the music player front. Colors would also be a natural extension of what Apple is doing with its music players. Further, if Apple switches to carbon fiber based products, as is the rumor, colors would be easier. 

The reality is Apple likely has to become more aggressive to fend off Android. Google certainly has become more aggressive, and it is also becoming much better at software design than it used to be. Google's new search program's new voice features are nice. It works faster than Siri and the interface is clean. I still largely use Bing, but Google did nice work with the iOS search App. Google's new map program has some user interface problems as well as voice navigation issues, but the overall design is solid (I still prefer Apple's solution). I hope to see Apple improve at software design more quickly. 

Revamping nearly the entire product line wasn't a terrible performance in '012, but I agree about the need for Apple to get more aggressive in covering profitable product niches, e.g., in particular larger screen phones.  I'm seeing them everywhere.  As many as I'm seeing iPhones, btw. 

Give DuckDuckGo a shot as your search engine if you want to escape Google's "filter bubble" effect (and not be tracked and have much better privacy.  Also cool features of its own - and when it strikes out it offers to take you to Google or Bing for a another search.  Very cool. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Honestly, the screen size might not be a huge deal with the iPhone 5 (at least for some), but it easily blows every other phone Apple has made away. It is noticeably lighter, and incredibly fast. The 4S feels like a brick in comparison. Further, the overall design is improved.

I concur and really don't like the "brick" feel of the 4S compared to the near weightlessness of the SIII.  Haven't actually pawed a 5 yet, but it sounds much more pleasant to handle and carry.   I would hope the larger model, if it appears (as I dearly hope), would incorporate as many weight-saving tricks - extending the improvements of the 5 and so not be much heavier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I don't buy the multiple sizes either. It's totally unnecessary and complicates matters for application developers.

Frankly, because most people use a case for their iPhone, I'm not sure how important multiple colors are until such time as Apple made an iPhone that was indestructible enough that it didn't need a case.

No complications for devs if the ppi are simply scaled down on the larger phone (say in the 280ppi +/- a bit range).

Also I watch people operate their smart phones a lot - and much of the time (while texting or writing, e.g.), they're using two hands, and of course with one hand once a song or video starts or simply scrolling an article.  I have no problem with this at all, despite the "purity" of Apple/Ives's one-hand aesthetic - which starts to break down on the "tall screen" iP5 anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

4" is big enough to me.  But I can see Cook experimenting.  I think to many people Apple has lost it's luster, so they'll probably try a few things like this to come back.  This along with a redesigned OS.

You'll also see touch-enabled Macs by 2014.  Apple's bulk of sales come from touch-enabled devices and I've seen people going back and forth between trackpad and touch on Win 8 with ease.  It just makes sense - and not being able to use touch starts to feel unnatural when you move from Pad or Phone to notebook. 

More importantly, implemented properly, it would "just work."  An area where Apple's traditionally been on the forefront.

And before the "muscle arms" reply gets trotted out, I'm NOT (NOT!) saying the function would be for full-time use, but an option for those who want it for here and there where it's convenient.  There could also be an option (over time) to choose larger or traditional clicking points in the OS UI and over time in programs. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

1. A bigger iPhone screen isn't as crazy as some people think. The iPad line already has two different UI point densities -- the iPad mini is the same as the iPhone while the iPad has a lower density. A bigger iPhone could follow that model -- the same number of UI points, but a bigger screen, so lower density. This is not as unthinkable as retina-purists might imagine

3. There may be a lot of people who really do want a bigger screen with a lower point density. Who are these people? People who are getting older and can't see small text as well anymore (and these people can't appreciate the advantage of "true" retina displays, anyway)

And me!  Bring it on.  There's no reason for the World's largest tech company to have to stick to one current form factor.  Period.

• Reply 59 of 174
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then why isn't that marketed by them if it's the "main reason"?

It's cheaper and it's lighter. Cheaper could easily have been taken care of with a $299 iPad 2. Weight solves itself with time.

I think they do highlight the portability/pocket-ability ("hold it in your palm"..."smallest bag...") in their marketing (copy n' paste from iPad mini page on Apple website):

Thin and light design.

iPad mini has everything that makes an iPad an iPad, but it’s a fraction of the size. At just 7.2 millimetres, it’s pencil thin and unbelievably light.3 You can easily hold it in your palm. And stash it in your smallest bag without a second thought, so it’s always close at hand.

• Reply 60 of 174
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I agree with the others. You calling the iPad mini useless, which may be for you but not for the product itself or it's intended market, sounds awfully trollish.
    To add to that- its his claim that its only successful because of price- and has just recently started saying that weight also could be a reason.

But there are plenty of people who make $100k+ (and way more) that buy it... So umm, that kind of shoots holes in his all-knowing claims.