Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors

Comments

• Reply 61 of 174
    boxmaccary wrote: »
    More sizes?!?
    Anybody checked for disturbed dirt around Steve's grave lately?
    [Yes, I know He was cremated -- you know what I mean ....]

He didn't seem to be bothered when Apple splintered the original iPod into lots of different models and price points and colors.
  • Reply 62 of 174
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    If Apple wants to "stick it to the carriers," they would do a major model update every 18 months and a minor update every 6 months; this would have people upgrading their phone as early as possible. Very few people will upgrade every year for various reasons they rationalize out, but at 18 months you have a pretty good shot.
    Small will be the next big. I think a iPod nano-sized phone would make sense for a lot of people, especially as Siri improves. It will be less of a cost driver and more of a form factor to attract different people.
    Sadly though, it is a lot like Samsung's flagship approach.

How would that be sticking it to the carriers? It'd hurt the subscribers more than the carriers.
  • Reply 63 of 174
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I bought my Mom an iPad mini and she loves it. She never wanted an iPad because she felt it was too big but the size of the mini is perfect. Personally I like my iPad 3 though I do see the attraction to the mini. Choice and options are a good thing. 

Catastrophe. 'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' just did me in. One bears witness that I did scratch the iPad Mini's back, and I must say it does scratch mine in return. In more ways than one...

Mesmerized...I was watching that 'I'll be home for Christmas" Apple commercial last week, ...and little could I remember having that lightweight Mini sitting on my lap. Lo and behold, I exploded out of a couching Nirvana to hug that 'ménage-à-quatre' rendition... You know...the grandfatherly audience to a grand-daughterly sing-song, with iPad and Mini as ethereal portals.

As you can imagine, the lightness of my being synced seamlessly with the buoyancy of my Mini, ...and it went crashing onto the floor as I went flying Peter Pan-like to Neverland's door...

This time...for once...I happened to scratch the front part of my Mini; the hard reality of life had finally met with fiction.
  • Reply 64 of 174
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    The idea that iPhones might come in different colours is unremarkable and likely.  It's just a matter of when.  

The idea that Apple will begin selling the iPhone in multiple screen sizes is a ridiculous and somewhat wild guess and will likely never happen.  

Apple has never made ergonomic products before and hands are all different sizes.  Having larger hands, I've always had a problem with their mice for instance, but up until now Apple has never in my recollection done the "small, medium, large" thing with any of their products.  

Screen size yes, product size, no.  

They already offer the iPhone in 2 different screen sizes.
  • Reply 65 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The general attitude of forum members towards larger and/or smaller Apple devices sure has changed over the last several months going by the responses in this thread. It used to be sub-4" iPhone and 9.7" iPad were the perfect sizes and nothing needed to change. . .  except that another year passed by.

Now those "other sizes" make sense to a whole lot of Apple owners.

Hmmm... I seem to recall that there were quite a few people agreeing with me when I said that a smaller iPad and larger iPhone would make a lot of sense... something I've been saying for quite a while now.

My guess... all of those people that you seem to remember saying otherwise are just a lot quieter now... well, except for at least one.

• Reply 66 of 174
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok so this guy really know nothing and is just throwing stuff out there off some checklist from concerned troll about what Apple needs to do to keep up with the competition. Colored phones (Nokia Lumia), more sizes (Android OEMs). :rolleyes:
  • Reply 67 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok so this guy really know nothing and is just throwing stuff out there off some checklist from concerned troll about what Apple needs to do to keep up with the competition. Colored phones (Nokia Lumia), more sizes (Android OEMs). image

5" inches minimum, in brown with a stylus and a kickstand.

• Reply 68 of 174
    I don't believe any of these rumors for a NY minute, however now that the iPhone is (finally) 16:9 doing different sizes wouldn't be all that hard. 
    Apple made a big deal out of the fact they went taller but not wider. I suppose they could backtrack on that. But if they were planning to go bigger because that's what all the competition is doing why didn't they do it with iPhone 5? :\
  • Reply 69 of 174
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

I'll be honest, I've been watching a lot of videos of Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) over the last couple of weeks.  I hate to admit it but if Apple is looking to innovate and make changes, it's in the features that iOS offers, not so much the hardware.

I used Android up until Froyo and went to the iPhone.  I love the feel of the iPhone 5, love iOS, but Android seems to have caught up with iOS - features wise.  And I'm not trolling.  

This is my opinion, only.  Maybe.

• Reply 70 of 174
    5" inches minimum, in brown with a stylus and a kickstand.
    And don't forget a cheap ass phone for China and India, My god you can't make this stuff up. :lol:
  • Reply 71 of 174

Yeesh.

It's not hard.

Apple dominated the music player market for a reason.  3-4 DIFFERENT products meeting the needs and budgets of different markets and consumers.

One iphone doesn't fit all.

A similar approach to the iPod market.

The iPhone has the best design of ANY smart phone.  But there is a design out there that beats it.

It's the current iPod touch.  It's streamlined alu heaven.  It's a great design.

Offer the new iPhone 5S in 3 models.

Nano, Classic and 'S' (super sized.)

3.5, 4 and 5 inches..?

Colours?  What took them so long?

The next iPhone range is the iPod touch range.  Small, medium and Large.  In colours.

With price brackets for low, medium and upper to squeeze the life out the air Apple is allowing the Android and Samsung market.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 72 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I'll be honest, I've been watching a lot of videos of Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) over the last couple of weeks.  I hate to admit it but if Apple is looking to innovate and make changes, it's in the features that iOS offers, not so much the hardware.

I used Android up until Froyo and went to the iPhone.  I love the feel of the iPhone 5, love iOS, but Android seems to have caught up with iOS - features wise.  And I'm not trolling.  

This is my opinion, only.  Maybe.

I'm not saying you're wrong but this reminded me of what people used to say back in the 90s when it was mentioned that they should consider buying a Mac...

"But the PC has so much more software."

Of course, 95% of those people never used anything more than what was offered for the Mac.

What I'm saying is; what are those features and do most people really need some of those [next to] useless little bells and whistles?

• Reply 73 of 174
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member

I call BS! No way any of this is true!

• Reply 74 of 174
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Offer the new iPhone 5S in 3 models.

Nano, Classic and 'S' (super sized.)

3.5, 4 and 5 inches..?

I'm sure developers are thrilled to see Apple going the way of Android¡

• Reply 75 of 174
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I thought Job's mantra was to sell a few good products with not many options. We as consumers don't know what we want unless it is offered so in some cases it's just best not to offer. I have never considered an iphone in anything except black until the white one came out and then I never considered an iphone in anything except black or white until they announced the colors. The problem for me is the colours are rubbish, far too washed out. If I want a colorful phone, I want a decent representation of the color. I want an orange phone, bright orange, nothing else will do.

That's what happens when you give people tiny decisions to make.

• Reply 76 of 174
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm not saying you're wrong but this reminded me of what people used to say back in the 90s when it was mentioned that they should consider buying a Mac...

"But the PC has so much more software."

Of course, 95% of those people never used anything more than what was offered for the Mac.

What I'm saying is; what are those features and do most people really need some of those [next to] useless little bells and whistles?

I agree; I don't know if they utilize the features.  I guess not, or Google Wallet would be bigger than it is.  Maybe that's a hardware issue, though...

I guess I'm just saying that Android has caught up with Apple in terms of OS features.  Their "Google Now" released last June is a pretty mature answer to Siri.  I still prefer iOS but I look forward to seeing what iOS 7 offers.

• Reply 77 of 174
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Man a lot of negativity here. People realize that Apple now has a dual track with two sizes of iPhones. You know different strokes for different folks. The thing is this could simply be an indication that both models get updated at the same time.

What would more interesting is if Apple introduced a third model or frankly updated the Flash sizes. Screen size isn't as big of a deal as is having the flash storage to cover your needs. I don't see a pressing need for a lot of other goodies in a new cell phone. IPad is another matter altogether though.
  • Reply 78 of 174
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    This is all made up.
  • Reply 79 of 174
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

We all pretty much realize the only reason Apple has never wanted to include an microSD card slot is to force people into buying the more expensive $299 and $399 models if they wanted more storage space. Hopefully if they go to 32/64/128 with this next refresh it won't an an issue, but my 64GB iPhone is already full and it would be nice to have some elbow room and a 64GN microSD would provide that. I wish they would at least offer an SD slot on their most expensive model if they do not offer a 128GB version later this year. 

Apple simply has to be more aggressive in hardware features and also with iOS. Jellybean is really quite good and the next version of Key Lime pie will be out this spring. A larger screen iPhone with at least a 4.5" will keep me in the fold for my next upgrade but with many new 2013 Android phones rumored to offer 5" 1080P displays with a 441 pixel-per-inch or better displays, quad core 2 GHz processors, 2 and maybe 3GB RAM, 128GB storage standard, 16MP cameras rivaling digital cameras....Apple will have some very tough competition. They don't need to beat every spec from every phone, but the days of resting on their laurels are long gone. 

• Reply 80 of 174
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member
    The thinness and weight of the 5 are impressive, but I didn't mind the weight of the 4/4s. It's not like it was heavy enough to cause any fatigue in holding it (unlike a full sized iPad). It seems Apple is more obsessed with being thin & light than a supermodel is these days.

I would just like a 4" screen with the old aspect ratio ... I think that would be the ideal size screen for a phone. Also, a refresh of the form factor would be nice. Most consumers (me included) want something new to look at with a new model. No matter how good the old design is it eventually starts looking dated.