Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors

Comments

• Reply 121 of 174
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So no data, preventing the use of half of those? And no apps, taking it back to 2007?

Why no data?  Sure data.  It shouldn't use that much unless they are posting video to youtube.

Yep, no apps taking it back to 2012 feature phones.

http://wireless.amazon.com/Pantech-Pursuit-II-Phone-Pink/dp/B005CPIIQQ

$179 on AT&T's site refurb ($219 new) but sometimes that site gets wonky on links.

The choices in this price range are really crappy android phones that run apps poorly or feature phones (I guess these are actually called messaging phones) with a tailored feature set.  

I guess you need to add Facebook, Twitter, etc to the app list.

But as a non-smart phone you can get a go plan for $50 unlimited everything including, if I read the fine print right, data.

• Reply 122 of 174
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Why no data?  Sure data.

Then what's the point of making the phone cheaper when they'll still be paying $50 a month?

Yep, no apps taking it back to 2012 feature phones.

That's not Apple's game.

• Reply 123 of 174
    Oh the colors are moving through all of Apples devices here is what I see the stages
    iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air, other Macs. Other devices.
    Screen sizes, Above 4.6 inches is horrible A iPhone 4 could barely stay in some pockets, the 5 somehow stays in better. This is in top 5 reasons not to buy android.
  • Reply 124 of 174
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Above 4.6 inches is horrible A iPhone 4 could barely stay in some pockets, the 5 somehow stays in better. This is in top 5 reasons not to buy android.

if you are an obese midget that only wears skinny jeans then maybe you have a point or start buying pants with normal sized pockets and you wouldn't have any problem. 

• Reply 125 of 174
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gwmac wrote: »
    if you are an obese midget that only wears skinny jeans then maybe you have a point or start buying pants with normal sized pockets and you wouldn't have any problem. 

I think you misunderstand the purpose of a pocket. It's to place items, not one item that fits perfectly inside a handgun in a specialized velvet lined case.

I like my phone to slide in and out of my front pocket with ease. I also keep my money clip in the same pocket.

My keys are typically placed in the adjacent pocket and are much smaller than my iPhone but I would love if my keys could get smaller or fewer in number. I certainly don't want them to fill up the entirety of my normal sized pockets.
  • Reply 126 of 174

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I like my phone to slide in and out of my front pocket with ease.

People tend to forget that telephones have ALWAYS been… tall and thin. Even the stereotypical candlestick phone is tall and thin, and it's not even the part you hold! And now LG wants to come out with a 5" 4:3 BRICK of a phone? No. People actually think they want this?!

My keys are typically placed in the adjacent pocket and are much smaller than my iPhone but I would love if my keys could get smaller or fewer in number. I certainly don't want them to fill up the entirety of my normal sized pockets.

*Exhale as on discovering something interesting* That's it. That's part of Apple's home automation scheme. I mean, they'll have to have one eventually, but whatever. 

Your iPhone is your keys. The house unlocks (and/or security system disarms) when the iPhone/iPad you're carrying hops back on your home Wi-Fi network. Same with your car. Of course, you really wouldn't want it stolen in that case. 

Guy steals your iPhone, takes your car, "Siri, take me home." "Getting directions to home." Goes to your house, cases the joint…

Of course then you'd have "Find My Car" to counter this: your stolen iPhone, in the possession of the thief, would be able to remotely shut off the car's engine. And your house would have an entry/exit log, viewable on iCloud.com.

• Reply 127 of 174
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Screen sizes, Above 4.6 inches is horrible [...] This is in top 5 reasons not to buy android.

No, it's not. My hands are much bigger than yours.

If you don't like a big screen phone, don't buy one. Why would you object to others wanting one?

• Reply 128 of 174

Quote:

People tend to forget that telephones have ALWAYS been… tall and thin. Even the stereotypical candlestick phone is tall and thin, and it's not even the part you hold! And now LG wants to come out with a 5" 4:3 BRICK of a phone? No. People actually think they want this?!

It's not JUST a phone though. I suspect your usage patterns may not resemble the typical smartphoner.

We now txt more than we talk. We browse, snap, upload and share. Voice calls represent less than 10% of total daily use. That means the form factor best suited to those other tasks should be a higher priority than voice calls, right?

Besides, I don't know about other people, but I haven't held a phone to my head in years. I have things that stick in my ears for that. The "phone" stays in my hand or pocket while I converse. But even if I *did* hold it to my ear, a bigger screen is not an obstacle. If you can hold it in your hand, you can hold it up to your ear. How is a bigger screen an impediment to this?

Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but my co-workers and I all hold our iPhones with two hands NOW, because it's easier to type and navigate and stuff. Thumb reach is an irrelevant concept.

There's just no reason not to make a phone with a bigger screen. You may not ever buy one, but it's pretty obvious there are a LOT of people who will.

• Reply 129 of 174
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    This sounds like an iPod Touch/nano rumor. Maybe he got the device wrong. I can't see the phones going to different colours, and definitely not different sizes, but I guess Apple can always surprise us...
  • Reply 130 of 174
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

It's not JUST a phone though. I suspect your usage patterns may not resemble the typical smartphoner.

We now txt more than we talk. We browse, snap, upload and share. Voice calls represent less than 10% of total daily use. That means the form factor best suited to those other tasks should be a higher priority than voice calls, right?

Besides, I don't know about other people, but I haven't held a phone to my head in years. I have things that stick in my ears for that. The "phone" stays in my hand or pocket while I converse. But even if I *did* hold it to my ear, a bigger screen is not an obstacle. If you can hold it in your hand, you can hold it up to your ear. How is a bigger screen an impediment to this?

Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but my co-workers and I all hold our iPhones with two hands NOW, because it's easier to type and navigate and stuff. Thumb reach is an irrelevant concept.

There's just no reason not to make a phone with a bigger screen. You may not ever buy one, but it's pretty obvious there are a LOT of people who will.

Well said and I agree 100%. I understand some people might not want a larger phone, but it really irks me when they try and say my desire for a larger screen is wrong or irrational.  I have never suggested Apple should stop making their current iPhone but it makes a lot of sense to also make a far larger version for the tens of millions of people who now have no choice but to reluctantly get an Android just to get a decent sized display. Large displays are not a fad or a trend that will suddenly disappear, they are here to stay and Apple will have no choice to make one as well eventually. It might be this year or 3 or 4 years down the road but it will happen. 

• Reply 131 of 174
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    v5v wrote: »
    My hands are much bigger than yours.

How could you possibly know this?
  • Reply 132 of 174

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

If you can hold it in your hand, you can hold it up to your ear.

Challenge.

You know, like in Scrabble.

Got yourself a stalker, Soli.

• Reply 133 of 174

Quote:

None of your business, that's how.

Okay, I'm clairvoyant.

I also have hands the size of boxing gloves so I figured chances are...

Okay, that's not true. I actually have tiny little hands and was lying because I feel inadequate.

Or I was just making a point about absurd generalizations.

I dunno, pick one of those.

• Reply 134 of 174

Quote:

Challenge.

You know, like in Scrabble.

Go into the kitchen and grab a plate. Now hold it up to your ear.

• Reply 135 of 174
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    A 3GS still has a smoother UI than some brand new...WP8 devices.
    Your prejudices are showing here. Windows Phone OS is acclaimed for being buttery smooth on even low spec hardware.
  • Reply 136 of 174
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

function SOswitchMenu() {var el = document.getElementById('bodyDiv');if ( el.style.display != "none" ) { el.style.display = 'none';}else { el.style.display = '';}var el2 = document.getElementById('h2');if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText";return;}if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText";return;}}
    function SOframeReload() {var f = document.getElementById('soFrame');f.src = f.src;} A decent size screen would be very nice. The incremental change of the iPhone 5 just wasn't worth the angst or the money for me to upgrade from the 4S. Like the idea of colours. but serious consideration needs to be given to price of the 4 and 4S with the next release. The Eco system is the killer at the moment but it won't be that way for very much longer. Get folk hooked on the eco system and they'll hang around. If it just the phone then they will come and go like the wind.  

Right now, it feels you say the ecosystem is going to tank, but Apple should make phone prices lower due to the ecosystem being the key, and phones irrelevant. Makes no sense.

On the other hand, you start with the premise that the iPhone 5 has a "not decent" screen size, so you're a troll.

• Reply 137 of 174
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I think this rumor is likely, but the timing is off.

This year we'll definitely see a 5S, but I believe we could see an iPhone mini or iPhone classic that will sport the original screen size, a combination of features from the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S, lightening port, and the thinnest lightest iPhone design ever. No colors, but a price around $300-400.

The following year I think we could see the iPhone 6 with a larger 4.5inch screen.

Also I think eventually an iPhone Nano might be on the table as well. Essentially causing the iPhone lineup to mirror the successful iPod lineup.
  • Reply 138 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I think this rumor is likely, but the timing is off.

This year we'll definitely see a 5S, but I believe we could see an iPhone mini or iPhone classic that will sport the original screen size, a combination of features from the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S, lightening port, and the thinnest lightest iPhone design ever. No colors, but a price around $300-400.

The following year I think we could see the iPhone 6 with a larger 4.5inch screen.

Also I think eventually an iPhone Nano might be on the table as well. Essentially causing the iPhone lineup to mirror the successful iPod lineup.

Also, they could have an iPhone with four doors and 4 wheels, to mirror the successful BMW lineup.

Maybe "the lineup for product X is successful" is not the best metric to determine that the lineup for product Y should mirror it?

• Reply 139 of 174
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Also, they could have an iPhone with four doors and 4 wheels, to mirror the successful BMW lineup.

Maybe "the lineup for product X is successful" is not the best metric to determine that the lineup for product Y should mirror it?

I think Tim Cook would be willing to try, depending on how he feels the iPad Mini has done. From the looks of early reports it does appear that the iPad Mini has cannibalized the main iPad quite a bit while not growing Apple's marketshare.

This alone could prevent Apple from expanding the iPhone brand, but if iPhone sales plateau anything could be on the table to grow it's market.

• Reply 140 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I think Tim Cook would be willing to try, depending on how he feels the iPad Mini has done. From the looks of early reports it does appear that the iPad Mini has cannibalized the main iPad quite a bit while not growing Apple's marketshare.

This alone could prevent Apple from expanding the iPhone brand, but if iPhone sales plateau anything could be on the table to grow it's market.

I'm not sure if market growth at any cost is Apple's strategy. They rather seem to be aiming at high-margin semi-luxury products... imho.