Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors

Comments

• Reply 81 of 174
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gwmac wrote: »
    [SIZE=14px]We all pretty much realize the only reason Apple has never wanted to include an microSD card slot is to force people into buying the more expensive $299 and $399 models if they wanted more storage space.

We know that? It had nothing to do with making the system simpler? Reliability? Tech support issues caused by the extra complexity?

Apple has a history of not including anything that was not necessary. No need to use your conspiracy theory.
  • Reply 82 of 174
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

The ridiculous use of the word 'bifurcate' pretty well negates any credibility this 'rumour' may have had.

• Reply 83 of 174
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,811member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

We know that? It had nothing to do with making the system simpler? Reliability? Tech support issues caused by the extra complexity?

Apple has a history of not including anything that was not necessary. No need to use your conspiracy theory.

Not saying it is the only reason but it certainly figures into their decision to leave it off. A microSD slot is no more difficult and probably easier to use than a SIM card and they include that. Does $200 more to go from 16GB to 64 GB seem reasonable to you? No conspiracy theory here, just good old common sense and have been following Apple since 1982. 

• Reply 84 of 174

Quote:

This eventually opens up the possibility for a lower-priced iPhone (i.e., iPhone mini)

Lower price? I thought the 4 was FREE? 

• Reply 85 of 174
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Please bring color!
    I know that Samsung are doing some colored phones, but I bet they'll release a full array of colors (that match those of the iPhone in a very close way) if it arrives.
  • Reply 85 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Lower price? I thought the 4 was FREE? 

It is free for a new line or an upgrade but about $450 otherwise. I think they might want to have a phone they can sell non-subsidized for around $350 for pre-paid and in other countries. 

• Reply 87 of 174
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Not saying it is the only reason but it certainly figures into their decision to leave it off. A microSD slot is no more difficult and probably easier to use than a SIM card and they include that. Does $200 more to go from 16GB to 64 GB seem reasonable to you? No conspiracy theory here, just good old common sense and have been following Apple since 1982

Apple only uses a SIM card because the carriers won't let them carry the functionality in software. You only have to look at the trouble Apple went to just to get a microSIM ratified to realise that they're never going to increase the size of their phone just to include a memory card slot.
    Bear in mind that Apple is also working to keep things as simple as possible by hiding the file system. Once you have a card slot then that simplicity goes out the window.
  • Reply 88 of 174
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Weight… and price. I don't agree with weight personally, but I understand the argument behind it and see it as valid. Price I somewhat agree with, therefore I see that argument as valid.

The iPad will eventually weigh what the mini does. And the "previous model" iPad could have cost LESS than the iPad mini right now. All they needed to do is drop the iPad 2 to $299. They'll still be making a profit on every single one.

But usability is damaged the smaller it goes.

I don't know... I think 7" makes perfect eBook reader size, and you can still browse the web and check your email/FB, compared to eInk readers. For people with high priority on reading and portability, this should be sweet spot, IMHO.
  • Reply 89 of 174
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

iPhone Mini? Yeah, sure. I said they should have put one out back when the original iPhone came out. 

A larger iPhone?... Forget it. Apple already made their case about how far a single hand human thumb can comfortably reach to all corners of the screen.

I actually physically laughed out loud at some guy standing in a supermarket checkout line with some oversized Samsung cheapo in one hand; shopping basket in the other. It was flopping around in his hand like a live flounder as he tried to careen his thumb around the screen as he tried to type. It looked like it was a comedic stage prop, I swear to god. Like it was a fake phone.  Apple's not going to go there.

You want a larger device?  Easy.  Light up voice service on the cellular iPads. Will cost Apple next to nothing. They can then develop an Apple mind-blowing line of Bluetooth stereo and mono audio interface units to go as optional upgrade to their current wired interface.

If my iPad Mini could have a cellular voice plan, that's the way I would roll.

• Reply 90 of 174
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Why bother with colours? Don't all iPhone 5 owners use a protective case to avoid ScuffGateTM?

• Reply 91 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Apple only uses a SIM card because the carriers won't let them carry the functionality in software. You only have to look at the trouble Apple went to just to get a microSIM ratified to realise that they're never going to increase the size of their phone just to include a memory card slot.

Bear in mind that Apple is also working to keep things as simple as possible by hiding the file system. Once you have a card slot then that simplicity goes out the window.

Not true, CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint never used SIM cards prior to LTE phones and would probably prefer still not to use them but LTE made that no longer possible. GSM and now LTE requires SIM, not the carriers. WiMax didn't require SIM cards but for some reason the LTE  standards body or whoever decided standards chose to include that as a requirement and not the carriers themselves. 

And as for your other point about the file system, iOS has a file system already. True that it is largely hidden from the end user unless you use special apps or jailbreak your phone, but it is there. There is no reason a microSD could not be formatted and used along the lines that OS X now uses hybrid drives seamlessly. It seems silly to say that adding some external storage is beyond Apple's means to integrate it easily for end users. By that rationale they should never add any new features at all to iOS for fear of increasing complexity or more tech support issues. I have a very good friend that works for Apple in Cupertino and got this from him directly. So I don't really care if any of you believe me or not. If they had included an SD slot they would sell far fewer $499 models since you can buy a fast 64GB card for about $50 which would give you more storage with 80GB total for less money at $250 vs. their current pricing model. But like I said before I am pretty confident this won't be an issue any longer since they will very likely move to 32/64/128 internal later this year. But to suggest that adding an SD slot would be any more difficult to incorporate or use than iCloud, Box, or Dropbox is now is laughable. 

• Reply 92 of 174
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Ooops. Wrong thread
  • Reply 93 of 174
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Not true, CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint never used SIM cards prior to LTE phones and would probably prefer still not to use them but LTE made that no longer possible. GSM and now LTE requires SIM, not the carriers. WiMax didn't require SIM cards but for some reason the LTE  standards body or whoever decided standards chose to include that as a requirement and not the carriers themselves. 

And as for your other point about the file system, iOS has a file system already. True that it is largely hidden from the end user unless you use special apps or jailbreak your phone, but it is there. There is no reason a microSD could not be formatted and used along the lines that OS X now uses hybrid drives seamlessly. It seems silly to say that adding some external storage is beyond Apple's means to integrate it easily for end users. By that rationale they should never add any new features at all to iOS for fear of increasing complexity or more tech support issues. I have a very good friend that works for Apple in Cupertino and got this from him directly. So I don't really care if any of you believe me or not. If they had included an SD slot they would sell far fewer $499 models since you can buy a fast 64GB card for about $50 which would give you more storage with 80GB total for less money at $250 vs. their current pricing model. But like I said before I am pretty confident this won't b an issue any longer since they will very likely move to 32/64/128 internal later this year. 

You completely missed his points.

For instance, he didn't say no SIM, he clearly stated "carry the functionality in the software." This virtual SIM would be inputted into the phone as text or some method of scanned and verified with some private PIN and with the carrier. This could get stored in the OS or more likely, on the baseband in the firmware. It would have the benefits of removing a large component at does little and hold very little data, increasing reliability of the device, and allowing for faster and easier access for those that need to use multiple SIMs for various carriers/countries. This is better for vendors and consumers, but it helps chip away at the carrier's control ever so slightly.
  • Reply 94 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You completely missed his points.

For instance, he didn't say no SIM, he clearly stated "carry the functionality in the software." This virtual SIM would be inputted into the phone as text or some method of scanned and verified with some private PIN and with the carrier. This could get stored in the OS or more likely, on the baseband in the firmware. It would have the benefits of removing a large component at does little and hold very little data, increasing reliability of the device, and allowing for faster and easier access for those that need to use multiple SIMs for various carriers/countries. This is better for vendors and consumers, but it helps chip away at the carrier's control ever so slightly.

I didn't miss his point at all I just disagreed that all carriers were the ones pushing for SIM cards. Sprint and Verizon would gladly offer a virtual SIM solution. The LTE standards board are the ones that took that decision out of their hands. Or at least that is what I read sometime ago. CDMA carriers never used a SIM card prior to LTE with the exception of certain world phones. In fact what you described is pretty much how CDMA phones are activated since they have a unique ESN number. 

• Reply 95 of 174
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

People realize that Apple now has a dual track with two sizes of iPhones.

They have a dual track with "selling the old model". Eventually there stops being that old model.

You know different strokes for different folks. The thing is this could simply be an indication that both models get updated at the same time.

Yeah, like the "iPhone 5" and "iPhone 4S" two years ago. image

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

the days of resting on their laurels are long gone. 

They were never here. It's not about specs.

• Reply 96 of 174
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

3. There may be a lot of people who really do want a bigger screen with a lower point density. Who are these people? People who are getting older and can't see small text as well anymore (and these people can't appreciate the advantage of "true" retina displays, anyway)

That, and those of us with big fat fingers who curse UI designers that use small buttons and crowd them close to each other. Mostly a problem with web browsing, but also applies to some apps.

• Reply 97 of 174

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They were never here. It's not about specs.

It's not about specs as long as they have the specs to compete. If the iPhone was ever to gain a reputation for being far slower, far lower quality photos, and many other areas it most certainly would be about specs. It isn't now since the iPhone 5 is still faring well even close to 5  months later so Apple did a decent job with future proofing to a degree. It was also the fastest phone at release though no longer. As long as the next iPhone maintains that standard they are fine, but they can't expect to release a phone slower or less beefy than Android phones that have been out for months before and not expect the same loyalty they enjoyed the last few years, The competition has caught up. 

• Reply 98 of 174
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

It's not about specs as long as they have the specs…

Mixed messages.

The iPhone wasn't the fastest phone on the market when it was released. And yet nothing trumped it.

• Reply 99 of 174
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Apple breaks convention they've formerly held. Silly things like phones .2" larger or smaller are now on the table. You can't really assume what Apple would do until they do it.

Good answer, but that totally doesn't explain how the comment isn't a troll comment, does it?  

Your a moderator.  You make a comment that you know isn't true, that you know everyone will disagree with, that you know will get people rilled up, that you know has engendered huge disagreements in the past.  

Just admit it.  You are a troll, everyone else knows this already.  The healing comes after.  You first have to admit that you have a problem.  

• Reply 100 of 174

Quote:

Mixed messages.

The iPhone wasn't the fastest phone on the market when it was released. And yet nothing trumped it.

Which iPhone? the very first one? That is ancient history and the first iPhone was revolutionary in so many other ways. Most phones back then had a 2.5 to 3" screens so that 3.5" screen with a real touch screen you could use with your finger and not stylus was revolutionary. Back then I had an HTC touch pro with Windows mobile so the iPhone seemed light years ahead in so may other ways. They seemed about a year or two ahead until around the time of the 4S when Android phones starting catching up and now you could argue are tied. The point I was making is specs might not be the main selling point of the iPhone and Apple don't try and advertise the actual CPU speed but specs do matter. People expect the next iPhone to be 2x faster and that requires a lot beefier specs every year. Even complete tech neophytes understand faster, better photos, larger memory, and other concepts. And they would certainly understand the thrashing Apple would receive on late night comedy shows, news programs, and other media outlets were Apple to release an iPhone 6 that was far inferior in specs to other phones at the time.