Comments

• Reply 21 of 212
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

hmm

• Reply 22 of 212
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

/shrug all I had to do to set up my nexus 4 was log in to my Google account. OK OK I admit I had to log into Facebook as well. Other than that though, it was pretty much good to go. I had a harder time setting up my iphone4 back in the day... Granted I still needed iTunes back then.

It must not work very well without the SIM card you didn't sign up for.

btw the Nexus is slightly different, look here I got another one:-

• Reply 23 of 212
    mars123mars123 Posts: 26member

Schiller sounds like a whining baby complaining about competition instead of offering a legitimate product from his own company. This is telltale signs of insecurity about your own products. 

• Reply 24 of 212
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    I liked it better when Apple kept quiet and didn't say much about the competition. If you have to point out their flaws, you are paying the ultimate compliment - attention.
  • Reply 25 of 212
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Hey, isn't there some sort of "launch event" and launch event coverage for this thing?  (You know... some guy in a black turtleneck, or something?)

I would really like to see how he fuzz goes down. 

If anybody has links, I'd appreciate it. (can't really find anything)

• Reply 26 of 212
    Hmm... Marketing guy saying his product is better than the competitor, using some facts and some exaggeration. Slow news day, eh?
  • Reply 27 of 212
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    eksodos wrote: »
    Even MG Siegler is describing this as "strange". I'm genuinely looking at my Android phone right now trying to think of the nine accounts I needed to bring my experience up to iOS levels. I have Facebook and Twitter, but you need the same on iOS obviously if those are important to you. Instagram, the same. All my music comes from Google Play. My email is under the account Google Play account. I can get movies from Google Play if I wanted them. I have calendar sync, tasks, and contacts sync under the same account. And then there's Spotify a separate account I need for both iOS and Android.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">What a bizzarre attack line from Schiller.</span>

You seem to only be mentioning the ones that Apple doesn't also have? Doesn't Samsung have their own music? What about an iMessage-like service? How about a Find My Android-like service? What about a Reading List-like service? What about an iCloud Tabs-like service? What about a Reminders*-like service?

Then there is gauging the service quality to make it on par with Apple's service. Is Google's music service as good as Apple's so you don't need a 2nd option to make it equal? Does a Find My Android-like service have the ability to do more than just find the device, but can also lock it, send a sound, message and erase it?

* Gmail has a notes and calendar service but I'm not so sure about it having a proper option for Reminders.
  • Reply 28 of 212
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

/snip ...switching to an Android device seems silly if we don't know where they switch from (Apple, BB, MS?)

...but we do know, it's in the article.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a rare interview with The Wall Street Journal, Schiller went over fourth quarter 2012 metrics related to "switchers," or handset users who switched between an iPhone and an Android. Citing Apple research, the executive said that four times as many iPhone users switched away from Android than to a handset running Google's mobile OS.

• Reply 29 of 212
    mars123mars123 Posts: 26member

Guy Kawasaki, Apple evangelist, one of the biggest apple fans uses Android. Recently on an interview he said he owns zero iOS devices. Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple uses android device. If these people believe android is superior than iOS, then I do not think Schiller and his "Internal study done by apple" doesn't have much credibility. 

• Reply 30 of 212
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    hill60 wrote: »

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I already had a t mobile account so it really didn't apply to me ;), but you can add that to the list.
  • Reply 31 of 212
    I'm not taking a shine to Schiller getting down in the mud.
  • Reply 32 of 212
    I'm with Akleskater. The last thing someone should do is try and tell the world how much better their products are prior to a rivals launch. 9 accounts? PLEASE. Even I he was being rhetorical, it sounded foolish. Complaining about Android means he's giving them attention. I for one love apple products, but incremental improvements like thinner... Slightly bigger screen etc is lame. The competition is leaving Apple behind because apple seems to have forgotten how to innovate. My next phone is the S4
  • Reply 33 of 212
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 34 of 212

deleted

• Reply 35 of 212
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A kindle is not a phone, what are YOU on about?

When you boot a Samsung phone (after signing up to some sort of phone plan so it works), you are prompted to sign up a Samsung account, a Google account (asking for a credit card), a dropbox account among others, HTC handsets are the same except it's a HTC account.

You've quoted the 2 extra - a Samsung and DropBox account. I'm curious, if anyone knows what the nine are - or is this exaggeration?

I wouldn't crow about 'having to sign up the dropbox account'. iCloud is so poor for document sharing, even with (or especially with) Apple's iWork suite, that DropBox or similar is pretty mandatory for a lot of iOS users. 

Edit: I guess Amazon for eBooks could be another one.

• Reply 36 of 212

deleted

• Reply 37 of 212
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    I agree that Apple products are superior, but they are gaining. They are gaining in features and in innovation. Apple under a healthy Steve Jobs was an innovative company, looking to conquer the world. Currently, we hope for a couple new features a year and a speed bump on every Apple product, basically. Something needs to change.
  • Reply 38 of 212

deleted

• Reply 39 of 212

The most beautiful walled garden is still limited to the one experience no matter how wonderful it is. One persons utopia might be another persons prison.

Free your phone!

• Reply 40 of 212
    tjrsvtjrsv Posts: 35member
    "Schiller also pointed to one of the major shortcomings of the Android platform: fragmentation."

Wow! SJ really put together a band of bad-ass execs! NOT!

Is that their forward moving marketing plan is to point out the deficiencies of competing products curenlyt TAKING market share in mobile, build a new campus for a company spiraling downward?

Why is it that Wall St./smartmoney is handing us "individual" investors and AAPL product lovers our heads on a platter.

Seriously, how can AAPL's stock price go from $700 to $428 while achieving record revenues and profits.

Simple: Wall street realizes that Apple's execs are a group of spineless dweebs who think they are in the same league as SJ, but necer were, and never will be...they can't even figure out how to split shares or raise dividends UNTIL their price plummets 40%....Or thatswhatthey want to initiate a fat buy back.