Apple's Schiller speaks out against Android on eve of Galaxy S4 debut

Comments

• Reply 101 of 212
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tjrsv wrote: »
    APPL hasn't said or done anything since SJ...

So no iPhone 5? So no Lightning connector after a decade with the 30-pin connector? No iPad 3? No iPad 4? No iPad mini? No Retina MacBook Pros? No new iMacs? No new MBAs? No acknowledgment of a new Mac Pro in 2013? That's a whole lotta nothin'.
  • Reply 102 of 212
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Actually, what Mars123 wrote was:

Kawasaki, Wozniak, and more recently Ihnakto, have all been quite public about their enjoyment of Android; no citation needed there.

In reply, you wrote:

It was that claim, that Kawasaki and Wozniak currently "believe that Apple is still better for the masses", that could benefit from a citation, because it seems to contradict so much of what they've both written in recent years.

indeed, just to make sure everyone could follow along easily, in the very post you're replying to now I took the time to assemble the complete conversation.

And yet here we are.

So could you kindly point us to anything either of those men have written which would explain how your description of them appears to contradict so many things they've said to the contrary?

So let me keep it simple and repeat what I already stated.

I'm responding to (Mars123's) opinion with opinion.  Mars123 had an opinion/interpretation of Guy and Steve.

I don't need a citation to voice a contrasting opinion/interpretation.  I'll respond to Mars123, but done with your silly antics.

• Reply 103 of 212
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So no iPhone 5? So no Lightning connector after a decade with the 30-pin connector? No iPad 3? No iPad 4? No iPad mini? No Retina MacBook Pros? No new iMacs? No new MBAs? No acknowledgment of a new Mac Pro in 2013? That's a whole lotta nothin'.

Ok when does this obvious troll get banned?

• Reply 104 of 212

Quote:

You forgot the A6 and A6X, Apple's custom designed ARM processors. Even the almighty Samsung doesn't design their own processors - they build ARM reference designs.

• Reply 105 of 212
    mars123mars123 Posts: 26member

I am not taking anything away from Steve Jobs. He is on a level of his own. But I do believe Wozniak's opinion as a co-founder of apple is more valuable than a marketing guy claiming his internal report shows 4x more people switches from android to iOS.

Also, I don't think Jobs searched and found Steve Wozniak. It was because they were friends that Apple existed. I doubt Jobs would have gone and searched for someone else had Wozniak not been there to begin with. 

• Reply 106 of 212
    rogifan wrote: »
    How funny would it be if Apple released a new MacPro or something totally left field tomorrow to shit on Android's razzle dazzle.  :lol:

LOL that would be funny. It would look very defensive but it would be funny. I'm expecting an event to happen soon for the Mac Pro, AirPort routers, Mac OS X and some other stuff as soon as March 20th. Maybe we'll get an event notification tomorrow. That would at least be "coincidental" like this interview with Schiller the day before the Samsung event.

You forgot the A6 and A6X, Apple's custom designed ARM processors. Even the almighty Samsung doesn't design their own processors - they build ARM reference designs.

I forgot a lot of things. I don't think I mentioned any software specifically even though the Retina MBPs did require extensive Mac OS changes and apps had to be updated to support it.
  • Reply 107 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

LOL. Are you serious? apple custom designed ARM processor? How about Samsung custom designed Exynos processor? And last time I checked, Apple needs samsung to make those chips. It has been 2 years since the first lawsuit and yet apple can't get away from samsung. I guess Apple needs samsung much more than samsung needs apple. 

• Reply 108 of 212
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    [SIZE=4][SIZE=5][B]...runs through the middle of this incredible thread war wearing absolutely nothing and waving his pants round and round his head!

Woo hoo!!!![/B][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • Reply 109 of 212

"You forgot the A6 and A6X, Apple's custom designed ARM processors. Even the almighty Samsung doesn't design their own processors - they build ARM reference designs" - EricTheHalfBee

LOL. Are you serious? apple custom designed ARM processor? How about Samsung custom designed Exynos processor? And last time I checked, Apple needs samsung to make those chips. It has been 2 years since the first lawsuit and yet apple can't get away from samsung. I guess Apple needs samsung much more than samsung needs apple. 

• Reply 110 of 212
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

I really don't understand what drewys808 is trying to say. How does Wozniak and Kawasaki switching to android prove iOS is more superior? image

...because in my opinion (not backed by citation, MacRulz...haha!) someone's personal choice may be different from what they advocate for others.  Example: I have a 1983 BMW M3 that I love to fix up and drive, but for most of my friends (or strangers for that matter) who have family, I'd encourage them to get a Lexus GX instead.  A Lexus GS is probably "more superior" for them.

• Reply 111 of 212

Eric are you serious? Apple's custom designed ARM processors.How about Samsung custom designed Exynos processor? Last I checked, samsung still makes majority of apple chips. I guess Apple needs samsung more than Samsung needs Apple. 

• Reply 112 of 212
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 113 of 212
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    That's nice Phil. Maybe you should worry more about your own product update being a meaningless spec bump while the competition is clearly trying bold new things with theirs.
  • Reply 114 of 212
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I've heard of a "Kindle", and a "Kindle Fire", but never an "Android Kindle".  Is that a new model or are you just spinning it to make some point?

There is no "Android Kindle".  It's not an out-of-the-box Android tablet.  It's Amazon's forked AndroidOS tablet handcuffed to its own ecosystem, and you very well know that. It has nothing to do with the general-use Android OS.

Nice try though.

Kindle Fire runs Android. Which part of that escapes you?

• Reply 115 of 212
    mars123 wrote: »
    Eric are you serious? <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.196022033691406px;font-size:13px;">Apple's custom designed ARM processors.How about Samsung custom designed Exynos processor? Last I checked, samsung still makes majority of apple chips. I guess Apple needs samsung more than Samsung needs Apple. </span>

1) Makes, in the same sense that Foxconn makes most company's CE. They do not design it!

2) Yes, he is serious. Those are components that arrived when Tim Cook was in office which directly goes against TJRSV's claim that, "APPL hasn't said or done anything since SJ…" Why you wish to claim that Apple didn't design or release their ARM chips simply because Samsung has also designed their own chips makes no sense.
  • Reply 116 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Amazon's Kindle is another "walled garden" as it were: meant by Amazon to be a gateway to their online store. In large part that's why they sell the hardware at a loss, because it still makes business sense in the overall corporate sense for Amazon as a whole (to the extent anything about their finances makes sense... I long ago expected them to actually turn a profit..)

Amazon makes money hand over fist from the Kindle business (selling the hardware at loss, and all)., they just choose to reinvest it in the business. While the Kindle may be a walled garden, it is essentially trivial to unlock it and make it into a general purpose device (something not true at all of the iPhone).

• Reply 117 of 212

Quote:

If you are going twist his meaning you might as well go full throttle and say you have an Amazon Linux tablet.

Huh?

• Reply 118 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A kindle is not a phone, what are YOU on about?

When you boot a Samsung phone (after signing up to some sort of phone plan so it works), you are prompted to sign up a Samsung account, a Google account (asking for a credit card), a dropbox account among others, HTC handsets are the same except it's a HTC account.

And with an iPhone, you need a phone plan, an Apple ID (with a credit card, so you can buy apps), a google account so you can read your mail, a Dropbox account so as to make a lot of the apps useful. What's the difference?

• Reply 119 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A kindle is not a phone, what are YOU on about?

When you boot a Samsung phone (after signing up to some sort of phone plan so it works), you are prompted to sign up a Samsung account, a Google account (asking for a credit card), a dropbox account among others, HTC handsets are the same except it's a HTC account.

Oh, and a Kindle IS a tablet, which you can use as a phone through the magic of Skype.

• Reply 120 of 212
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Let's talk about what Phil said. Do any of you "experts" want to disect his comment about fragmentation or that most Android users are on a 2 year old OS?

Any takers? Probably not.

Well, it looks like most of the "experts" here are using Nexus 4s, so they can't speak to that point as they're using AOSP android (not fragmented) and on the most current version.

You're gonna have to find someone with an original Galaxy S from 2010 for that.