New Microsoft Windows 8 ad turns Apple's Siri against her maker

Comments

• Reply 41 of 147
    Clever, "can't touch this" iPad is pretty much untouchable!
    Competitors displays, OS, overall build quality just is not anywhere close.
    Windows tiling is entriguing at first glance, but so Sam-sung-ish
  • Reply 42 of 147
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Not an MS lover, But the mangled chopsticks was "the point".

You actually did know that, right? (I hope)

Was what point? If they're going to pick on iPad GarageBand is probably not the app they want to showcase.

Geez! I just mean they played it bad on purpose. You know...?  For affect...?

• Reply 43 of 147
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"Why is it a great ad? The worst past is the person horribly mangling chopsticks or whatever it is at the end. I'm no pianist but even I could play it better than the person in the ad did."

Someone else beat me to it and agree, hope you're just fun'in and playing ignorant, but the lousy playing pianist paints the broader stroke of a lousy experience on the iPad.  Kind of like the Mac vs PC ads where PC spins a Choose a Vista spinning wheel and hopes for something great and gets 'Lose a Turn' and the Mac dude says, "Wait, didn't you make this?"  It's just MS finally getting an ad agency that has put forth a couple of mediocre commercials at Apple's expense, the Samsung/Apple feud during a wedding and now this.  Don't take it too seriously.  MS is still touting Microsoft products it has to peddle at all those cool and 'crowded' MS stores!

But GarageBand on the iPad isn't a lousy experience. If that was really their angle, why not show someone drawing/writing on Windows tablet vs iPad. That's an instance where the experience on iPad is not as good.

It wasn't about Garageband. It was about the iPad commercials that "made cute" with "Heart & Soul". Heart & Soul is, sort of, the counterpart to "Chopsticks".

Are you getting it yet??  No? Ok, I give up.

• Reply 44 of 147
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Nicely explained.
  • Reply 45 of 147
    On a serious note how are the Keynote, Pages & Numbers apps on iPhone5? I've been thinking about getting them (Pages at the very least) for a while now. Are there any other ones similar that y'all'd recommend?

Thanks much for the help!
  • Reply 46 of 147
    ismaelismael Posts: 3member
    Microsoft sucks
  • Reply 47 of 147
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Is it legal to have a competitors product (Apples iPad in this instance) in your own commercial?
  • Reply 48 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    simtub wrote: »
    Is it legal to have a competitors product (Apples iPad in this instance) in your own commercial?

Sure.
  • Reply 49 of 147
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Not in every country.

• Reply 50 of 147
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Good for you two - sticking to your guns and be damned with objectivity. Why ever admit that another company can pull off something cool once in a while?

Not everybody agrees with you. I think Apple appeared better to the average consumer in this ad. And I am a Windows guy, never owned a Mac.

• Reply 51 of 147

Quote:

Kind of pathetic? You mean like "I am a Mac/I am a PC" kind of pathetic?

And, guess what, to some of us not wearing blinders, this commercial is indeed self-evident as a hit. Even if you disagree, he is entitled to his opinion, isn't he? Just as you're entitled to your blinders?

So if people disagree with you they must be wearing blinders? That's primitive thinking.

• Reply 52 of 147
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

What did you expect?

Microsoft has been the laughing stock of the industry for years now, and particularly over the course of their three-year old non-starting mobile effort. Which has been nothing but a disaster. Other players such as Google and Apple are eating their lunch. The company is old news. Mostly because it's run by a clown.

• Reply 53 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

A company can legally use a competitor's mark or brand as necessary to fairly and accurately describe its products, or to fairly and accurately compare its products and services to those of the competitor. What it cannot do is market in a way that leads to a likelihood of consumer confusion about the source or affiliation of its products or its competitor's products.

• Reply 54 of 147
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Microsoft now making ads bashing Apple products.. my how the tables have turned. 

• Reply 55 of 147
    ringoringo Posts: 329member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, multitasking?

The fancy (hideous) new Windows 8 apps don't even run unless they're in the foreground. And when they're in the foreground, they're fullscreen, making it impossible to multitask.

Never mind that the entire operating system completely locks up when you're copying a file. COPYING A FILE. There is no multitasking in Windows.

They show it in the ad. You can pin apps to the edge of the screen, and they kinda tile. I've never actually seen a Windows 8 tablet in real life, so I can't say how well it works, but it certainly exists.

• Reply 56 of 147
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

Quote:

Good for you two - sticking to your guns and be damned with objectivity. Why ever admit that another company can pull off something cool once in a while?

There is absolutely nothing cool about an RT tablet. How do I know? It's very simple... virtually no one is buying them! They have been totally panned by reviewers as they can't even run regular windows software - anyone who buys one ends up being deeply disappointed and feels mislead. It is a dog. And is totally confusing in it's positioning and implementation - W8RT, W8Pro, Win8, W8 Classic Desktop - with a UI designed by and for someone with attention deficit disorder - a totally confusing cluster FK! Classic Microsoft.

• Reply 57 of 147
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

There is absolutely nothing cool about an RT tablet. How do I know? It's very simple... virtually no one is buying them! They have been totally panned by reviewers as they can't even run regular windows software - anyone who buys one ends up being deeply disappointed and feels mislead. It is a dog. And is totally confusing in it's positioning and implementation - W8RT, W8Pro, Win8, W8 Classic Desktop - with a UI designed by and for someone with attention deficit disorder - a totally confusing cluster FK! Classic Microsoft.

Did just take 7% of the market with it in Q1, and win 8 is selling almost as fast as win 7. So overall not that bad.

• Reply 58 of 147
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    sflocal wrote: »
    What the commercial is missing is a voice that talks super fast at the end stating that regular windows tablet software will not run on the windows RT version and vice versa.

The add was for an Asus tablet which has a full version of Windows.
  • Reply 59 of 147
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juil View Post

The Windows8/Surface ad will never be shown and decorticated in university classes the way the I’m a Mac ads were

Wow - I learnt a new word today. But rather esoteric usage...

decorticate [di??k??t??ke?t]

vb

1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Botany) (tr) to remove the bark or some other outer layer from

2. (Medicine / Surgery) Surgery to remove the cortex of (an organ or part)

• Reply 60 of 147
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    When are the stocks going to be over $1000.00?