New Microsoft Windows 8 ad turns Apple's Siri against her maker

Comments

• Reply 121 of 147
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Funny thing is, many non-Apple users believe that number of Apple users are there because they believe having an Apple product suddenly makes one better in every possible way - smarter, with better taste, Aryan almost.

Godwin's Law by proxy. Your point is moot.

• Reply 122 of 147
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    A bit of a stretch
  • Reply 123 of 147
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Apple just needs a 10 second commercial showing a Windows 8 rt tablet with the printed words saying.....

"I can't talk

and

I don't do REAL Windows"

• Reply 124 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    A bit of a stretch

I'd say the Aryan comment is only a goosestep away from evoking Godwin's Law.
  • Reply 125 of 147
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    crowley wrote: »
    It's pretty clear that's in reference to only being able to have one app full screen at a time, which is true enough (with some slight exceptions for Siri and the widgets in Notification Centre).

You may imagine that it means a lot of things, but it says that iPads can only do one thing at a time. That's totally, absolutely false.
    crowley wrote: »
    Some of Apple's Get A Mac ads ran pretty close to the line in terms of exaggerating the truth too.  The zany ones about biohazard suits and time travel especially.

Exaggerating is not the same as outright lies. Even the example someone else brought up (the Mac communicating with the Japanese girl (printer) is not false. The statement was that it was easier on a Mac and drivers were built in. Not a lie - like the one Microsoft told when they said that iPads can only do one thing at a time.
  • Reply 126 of 147
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'd say the Aryan comment is only a goosestep away from evoking Godwin's Law.

If it did evoke Godwin's law, this discussion should be over?
  • Reply 127 of 147
    jragosta wrote: »
    You may imagine that it means a lot of things, but it says that iPads can only do one thing at a time. That's totally, absolutely false.
    Exaggerating is not the same as outright lies. Even the example someone else brought up (the Mac communicating with the Japanese girl (printer) is not false. The statement was that it was easier on a Mac and drivers were built in. Not a lie - like the one Microsoft told when they said that iPads can only do one thing at a time.

You didn't even understand what the commercial was about, what makes u think you've any credibility left to argue anything?
  • Reply 128 of 147
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winchester View Post

lol. Easy there. He's not insulting your mother. Just sharing an opinion. It is possible to like competitor's ad.

Heh. He's new here.

• Reply 129 of 147
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    isteelers wrote: »
    I still don't understand why people are so desperate to use MS Office on such a small screen. What is so wonderful about editing PP presentations or complex spreadsheets on such small screen real estate? Sure you can do it I guess, but would you really want to?
    If your job involves leaving the office which a huge percentage of peoples does, even if its just for the odd hour meeting. Having a device that is really light and lets you edit spreadsheets or work of word docs e.g. A spec with a client is a big deal.

Laptops ae generally to heavy and there size tends to create a barrier in a meeting. Plus even if you have a super light laptop. To then carry a tablet to use for things its better at like reading news, books ruins the while weight factor as you have 2 devices.

Think if people that get the train to work and typically take there laptop home with them. Having a work laptop and there own iPad is a lot of weight. Win8 actually works really well in this situation as you can use the metro side for personal stuff and classic desktop for work.
  • Reply 130 of 147
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    sensi wrote: »
    The usual ignorant and misleading or blatantly false garbage, there to be debunked...

- Windows will only pause inactive apps, not "apps in the background" but apps doing nothing, neither background activities nor playing a song, etc.
    - You can spit windows apps and use two at the same time side by side, the function is called "Windows Snap".
    - Another ludicrous invention that I have never ever experienced while working with it daily... My only guess is that your HDD was off (following some power options settings) and that it took a good second to get back on and accessible. But I am digressing because we all know that you never ever tried Windows 8...

Meh.
  • Reply 131 of 147
    sensi wrote: »

I'm sure he's tried it but you are right Windows 8 Metro has full multitasking even with the RT version. Windows 8 really is a nice tablet OS for those seeking to run full blown applications. I have an absolute blast using Ableton and Photoshop.
  • Reply 132 of 147
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    1)IPad can run PowerPoint (called keynote)
    2)IOS multitasking is better than windows
    3)They looked for the worst IPad comparison
    4)IPad updates differently than the live tiles
    5)IOS=IPad/IPhone;windows 8=Tablets,phones,desktops,laptops, etc...
  • Reply 133 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

2)IOS multitasking is better than windows

Actually no it's not, iOS doesn't run apps in the background so it's not full multitasking. If you're talking about the way you can flip threw opened apps well Windows 8 has the same gesture.

• Reply 134 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

Apple just needs a 10 second commercial showing a Windows 8 rt tablet with the printed words saying.....

"I can't talk

and

I don't do REAL Windows"

Actually Windows 8 does voice commands pretty well, dictation in Word is also a treat to use. Windows 8 RT is the same in every detail as Windows 8 x86, it's just been compiled to run on ARM.

• Reply 135 of 147
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That's the rule here? Where were you when there was talk of Government Gestapo stealing Apple's profits?
  • Reply 136 of 147
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That's wow, crazy! But it's better than my suggestion to Microsoft: put a Google search bar in the Ribbon so I can ask Google where to find the feature that's hidden in the Ribbon. It's how I use Office now.

That's crazy, too, to use a 3rd party tool to find a setting in software. But uhm, I search the internet for Office settings as well. "Duh", in Homer Simpsons' voice.
    auxio wrote: »

That pic is too funny!
  • Reply 137 of 147
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    relic wrote: »
    Actually no it's not, iOS doesn't run apps in the background so it's not full multitasking.

Actually, iOS DOES run apps in the background - just not all of them.

For example, you can search the web while playing music in the background. You can search the web while using the Phone app. And so on.

The fact that not all apps are allowed access to those APIs does not mean that the OS doesn't multitask.
  • Reply 138 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Actually, iOS DOES run apps in the background - just not all of them.

For example, you can search the web while playing music in the background. You can search the web while using the Phone app. And so on.

The fact that not all apps are allowed access to those APIs does not mean that the OS doesn't multitask.

You'd think this wouldn't have to be explained to people at this point. Funny that it's always to those that aren't tech savvy enough to understand the terms they use or trolls.
  • Reply 139 of 147
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

That's the rule here? Where were you when there was talk of Government Gestapo stealing Apple's profits?

Was "gestapo" used?

• Reply 140 of 147
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Sirii can multitask. I often have her set an alarm for me, which means she is opening the clock App while she's running. She opens the calendar app when she sets an appointment and the Notepad app to make me a quick memo. I suspect with iOS 7 she will be doing even more multitasking with other apps, maybe even third-party apps. Siri can also take dictation* which is even better than trying to type on the $100 pretend keyboard Microsoft will sell you.

*dictated on my 16 Gb Apple iPad with Siri.

Nice.  I turned Siri off as it was impossible for it to even compose a simple sentance from my voice.  Repeating the same command multiple times reduces its appeal.