New Microsoft Windows 8 ad turns Apple's Siri against her maker

Comments

• Reply 61 of 147
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Wait, multitasking?

The fancy (hideous) new Windows 8 apps don't even run unless they're in the foreground. And when they're in the foreground, they're fullscreen, making it impossible to multitask.

Never mind that the entire operating system completely locks up when you're copying a file. COPYING A FILE. There is no multitasking in Windows.

Asus VivoTab Smart is Atom based, running x86 Windows 8. No, it does not lock copying a file. And in Modern GUI, you can have 2 apps running on screen. They will share screen in fixed 2:1 ratio, one app taking 1/3 and the other one 2/3 of a screen. If you want more, you'll have to go to classic desktop, but even this have some usage - 1/3 of screen is usually good enough for chat app, calculator, unit converter, etc.
  • Reply 62 of 147
    sflocal wrote: »
    What the commercial is missing is a voice that talks super fast at the end stating that regular windows tablet software will not run on the windows RT version and vice versa.

Mind you, this is Windows 8 tablet add, not Windows RT tablet add. And everything in this add will, actually, work on RT as well, not that it really matters.
  • Reply 63 of 147
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    mactel wrote: »
    Don't really care for Live Tiles so you can keep that.  

Keynote is just fine and I'm sure they tried to make it as unflattering as possible.  

Multitasking in the same space as another app is a so-so feature if your apps save state then it isn't a big deal.  There's not many cases where I, personally, would see myself absolutely needing this feature.  For productivity tools sure that would be great.

I really like having two apps opened side by side, I always have either my email client up or Skype. It's also great when watching TV or movies.
  • Reply 64 of 147
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Wow!
    MS knows that their lunch is being eaten my Apple.
    The ipad does everything the average person needs without the need of MS bloatware.
  • Reply 65 of 147
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    Asus VivoTab Smart is Atom based, running x86 Windows 8. No, it does not lock copying a file. And in Modern GUI, you can have 2 apps running on screen. They will share screen in fixed 2:1 ratio, one app taking 1/3 and the other one 2/3 of a screen. If you want more, you'll have to go to classic desktop, but even this have some usage - 1/3 of screen is usually good enough for chat app, calculator, unit converter, etc.

Windows 8.1 update will allow for equal screen sharing for the apps, 50/50.
  • Reply 66 of 147
    You do realise this is not an iPad add, right? Having a piano virtuoso performing "Flight of Valkyries" would be a bit counter-effective for what they are promoting here. It's a bit like PC guy in "Get a Mac" adds. I personally know much cooler PC users, but Brad Pitt looking PC guy would munch Justin Long for a snack, regarding of their lines.
  • Reply 67 of 147
    crowley wrote: »
    Pretty good ad, showcases a few advantages that Windows 8 has in a clear and clever way.

Can't imagine Powerpoint being anywhere near as easy to use as that though, and it obviously skims straight over the fact that there aren't many apps out for the new Start screen yet.  And if it was W8Pro then there should be a battery life warning and a fan kicking up noise in the background.

Nevertheless, well played Microsoft, a decent burn when you don't have much to work with.

No. Atom based W8Pro tablets - at least those I've seen so far - have comparable weight, battery life and thermals to ARM tablets. And no active cooling at all. If you haven't paid attention, you'd miss them for RT tablets.
  • Reply 69 of 147
    Microsoft continues to think people want Office on their tablet devices. I have many friends associated with Microsoft and they still think Office is a "killer app". And it is for desktop, but for a tablet which is used for so many non-work related tasks, Office is just not that important. There are plenty of apps out there that can read Office formats if I need to review a document in flight. If Office was available for the iPad I would buy it, but I would not buy a tablet just to get Office. The bigger concern I have with Surface Pro is the terrible battery life and the lack of basic apps (i.e. Words with Friends).

Well, some people want, and some people even need Office on tablet. Others can do with Pages or DocsToGo. And some probably don't need any Office option at all.

Depending on where one is, Office can be a must, a bonus or irrelevant. But same goes for pretty much any other app or suite of apps.

As of how many members are in each individual group, that is a 6 million dollar question. From my personal perspective, it is huge - I work in IT, my wife in Academia, and we both rely on Office a lot. But those are specifics of our surroundings, not a global phenomenon.

At the end, each player in this game plays with card in their hands, and Office is one of the cards in MS hands. I'd say it's a good card - Office will benefit many, and will not turn away those who don't care for it. A very safe card to play.
  • Reply 70 of 147
    a hawkinsa hawkins Posts: 21member

I have iPad, MacBook Air, and an Asus notebook with touch screen running Windows 8.

When I want to show a presentation, I simply use iPad. When I want to create and edit a presentation, I use Keynote on my Mac. Keynote and Office in iPad is sh*t, but using PowerPoint with touch screen is equally the same sh*t.

No need for complex touch screen app when all you need is a simple traditional desktop apps and keyboard/touchpad.

• Reply 71 of 147
    jragosta wrote: »
    Several problems with this ad:

1. The first comment "I don't update like that" is entirely without context. Most consumers will be scratching their heads and thinking "what the heck are they talking about?"

2. Siri says "I can only do one thing at a time" - which is just plain false. That alone may cost them a lawsuit.

3. While Windows RT does run PowerPoint, it doesn't run most PC software. They're setting themselves up for massive numbers of unhappy customers.

Overall, nice try, but fail.

Man... that is Windows 8, not Windows RT commercial. and tablet presented there looks like Atom based Asus VivoTab Smart, which runs full x86 windows 8.

I'm honestly hoping RT will drop classic desktop and become OS for cheapest possible (mostly 7" or so) tablets. Already with current Atoms, ARM W8 tablets don't make much sense - they limit functionality while not really offering lower price, better battery or less weight.

That, or merge with WP8 and become OS for smartphones and phablets, dedicated eBook readers with some additional smart features...
  • Reply 72 of 147
    amar99 wrote: »
    Are people really dumb enough these days to be affected by this type of thing? It tastes like a used car ad, where the salesman is trying to convince you of something against your own understanding and perceptions of what's better. Such an out-of-date advertising style, well below the bar set by the reality of Apple's products.

And btw, I don't hear the Surface talking...so what's your point Microsoft?

Wow. You didn't really even try to think about what you are looking at, did you?

The catchphrase is "Less talking, more doing". And coincidently, one tablet only talks while the other does things. How weird is that?! ;)
    In the end, this ad actually says more about how Microsoft views tablets than anything. They play chopsticks because that's all they know how to play. (And that pretty much describes them in more ways than one.)

Of course it doesn't. It is advertising. At best it sits on carefully handpicked truths (or half-truths at least) while conveniently ignoring everything else. I also think it is very much rehearsal of "Get a Mac" adds which did the same... at least I don't recall any of those adds mentioning that, while you do get more malware on Windows, you also get more games and other software in general. Same formula: focus on parts that play in your advantage, and don't mention the others. It is commercial, after all; not an Anandtech.com full product review.
  • Reply 73 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Just saw this during the NBA playoff game (Heat & Pacers) and gotta admit it was a little funny. I have no desire to get a MS Surface. The commercial does not make me want one either. But it was humorous........When you are number one like Apple is...the others will take their pot shots at you.....

I admit the ad was funny, but in a pathetic sort of way. Let's see, they showed running a movie while editing a PowerPoint. Excuse me, you can't see the movie running WHILE you're editing the PowerPoint, so what's the big deal? At least when I open Keynote to edit a PowerPoint, the movie pauses so I don't miss a scene. 

The iPad does do some multitasking when it's important, such as listening to Pandora while doing anything else I want. Meanwhile the Surface is burning through its battery while showing a movie in the background you can't see... or God-knows-what-other-programs sucking up batter life in the background.

Then they had the gall to compare a 64Gb Surface RT to a 64Gb iPad as if that is somehow fair. The 64Gb Surface RT has only 23Gb of free memory available to the user sice the bloated Windows OS is squatting on most of the memory. A better comparison would be a 32Gb iPad. However, the way the iPad uses memory and the iCould, even the 16 Gb is an excellent comparison. (which is the size I purchased) 

Finally Sirii can multitask. I often have her set an alarm for me, which means she is opening the clock App while she's running. She opens the calendar app when she sets an appointment and the Notepad app to make me a quick memo. I suspect with iOS 7 she will be doing even more multitasking with other apps, maybe even third-party apps.

• Reply 74 of 147
    jd_in_sb wrote: »

Not everybody agrees with you. I think Apple appeared better to the average consumer in this ad. And I am a Windows guy, never owned a Mac.

Because... synthetic voice from iPad was only complaining about things it cannot do, a bit like Marvin, the Paranoid Android from Hitchhiker's Guide..? And that would appear better to average consumer... how?
  • Reply 75 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Man... that is Windows 8, not Windows RT commercial. and tablet presented there looks like Atom based Asus VivoTab Smart, which runs full x86 windows 8.

Not at $499 is it a full Windows 8 tablet. 

Anyway, I say good for Microsoft! They made it through the whole commercial without the tablet freezing up or the battery running out. 

• Reply 76 of 147
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    No. Atom based W8Pro tablets - at least those I've seen so far - have comparable weight, battery life and thermals to ARM tablets. And no active cooling at all. If you haven't paid attention, you'd miss them for RT tablets.
    Really? That's quite an impressive feat they've accomplished if true.

I stand corrected, and admit that I haven't paid much attention.
  • Reply 77 of 147

Quote:

Because... synthetic voice from iPad was only complaining about things it cannot do, a bit like Marvin, the Paranoid Android from Hitchhiker's Guide..? And that would appear better to average consumer... how?

Sirii can multitask. I often have her set an alarm for me, which means she is opening the clock App while she's running. She opens the calendar app when she sets an appointment and the Notepad app to make me a quick memo. I suspect with iOS 7 she will be doing even more multitasking with other apps, maybe even third-party apps. Siri can also take dictation* which is even better than trying to type on the $100 pretend keyboard Microsoft will sell you.

*dictated on my 16 Gb Apple iPad with Siri.

• Reply 78 of 147
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    What did you expect?

Microsoft has been the laughing stock of the industry for years now, and particularly over the course of their three-year old non-starting mobile effort. Which has been nothing but a disaster. Other players such as Google and Apple are eating their lunch. The company is old news. Mostly because it's run by a clown.

You live in one warped world...

Google is doing all they can (without being nailed for that) to slow down WP8, which, at least in Nokia's case, was selling better since WP7 introduction till now than both iPhone and Android phones were selling in the same timeframe.

I will admit I was prone to the same mistakes a few years back, thinking that iPhone will be niche product and iPad is just an oversized iPod Touch - until someone much smarter said something in line of "washbowl and swimming pool have same concept, but size makes all the difference" which made me think. I kept open mind ever since and didn't make the same mistake with Android, nor will I make it with Windows phones and tablets.
  • Reply 79 of 147

Quote:

WinPro only runs on Intel X86 processors. The amount of cooling required is dependent on the GPU in the device. No fan = poor graphics ability.

One other little fact Microsoft only mumbles behind their hand is that the RT version of Office is a crippled version, it is NOT full featured like its X86 version. The only way to run the full-featured version of Office on a RT tablet is to subscribe to the cloud version of Office for $100 per year. Since none of the Windows tablets come with optional transmitters like the iPad does, you only have cloud accessibility when you are near a wifi router. Forget working on a commuter train or checking your email from your vacation cabin.

• Reply 80 of 147
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Oh thank god! I worried there for a minute the iPad would be soiled by the Office Ribbon.

That was certainly the most useless invention of all the things MS has done. Completely and utterly annoying, frustrating experience. That's why I installed Ubit plugin on one of my work PeeCee's: