New Microsoft Windows 8 ad turns Apple's Siri against her maker

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 147
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Actually, iOS DOES run apps in the background - just not all of them.

For example, you can search the web while playing music in the background. You can search the web while using the Phone app. And so on.

The fact that not all apps are allowed access to those APIs does not mean that the OS doesn't multitask.

Well actually it kind of does, yes iOS is capable of multitasking as it's based off of BSD. However, allowing only a handful of apps to those API's and I mean a handful is a far cry from having true multitasking.
  • Reply 142 of 147
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Was "gestapo" used?

Yes

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/157614/inside-apples-push-for-comprehensive-corporate-tax-reform#post_2330126

• Reply 143 of 147
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

2)IOS multitasking is better than windows

So true. When I want to Skype someone and look at a document, what I look for is the ability to not be able to look at the document and the conversation / video chat at the same time. Being able to have both on the screen at the same time is an awful experience, what I really want is to repeatedly swipe from one to the other. Which is why iOS multitasking is better </Sarcasm>

• Reply 144 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    relic wrote: »
    Well actually it kind of does, yes iOS is capable of multitasking as it's based off of BSD. However, allowing only a handful of apps to those API's and I mean a handful is a far cry from having true multitasking.

You're not very tech savvy are you? You throw out jargon like no tomorrow but don't actually understand what they mean. iOS has allowed multitasking from the start. What it hasn't offered is 3rd-party-apps to run unfettered in the background.
  • Reply 145 of 147
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Well done M$ - that ad actually made me chuckle.

Looking forward to see what iOS 7 has to offer...
  • Reply 146 of 147
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You're not very tech savvy are you? You throw out jargon like no tomorrow but don't actually understand what they mean. iOS has allowed multitasking from the start. What it hasn't offered is 3rd-party-apps to run unfettered in the background.

Actually that's exactly what I said, what part of my jargon isn't correct. IOS's underlining system is Darwin, a BSD Unix which is of course a multitasking OS, you see it when you jailbreak a iOS device. The API's in the desktop enviromemt that allow for background tasks are highly restricted to just a few apps however, VOIP, location services(maps), music, etc. So yay, iOS can multitask but since it's not available to 99% of the apps available, it really can't can it. I've been a programmer for over 20 years, I know a thing or two. Sometimes my English get's in the way of expressing myself properly as it's not my first, second or even third language but I think my original post said exactly what yours did. You like so many on this forum attack anyone who doesn't fall in line with this shalt not talk ill or about limitations of any Apple product philosophy.

I don't mean to be rude in anyway but sometimes you can be very mean, sorry if you take offense to my post.

While we are on this subject, there are ways to make an app run longer in the background but not for more then 10 minutes. If anyone knows of way to get around this, any info would be priceless to me. I maintain a CRM app for our sales force that could use this. Here is how I get 10 min.

counterTask = [[UIApplication sharedApplication]
    beginBackgroundTaskWithExpirationHandler:^{

}];
    count=0;

theTimer=[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:0.1
    target:self
    selector:@selector(countUp)
    userInfo:nil
    repeats:YES];
    }