Apple retail workers file class action suit claiming lost wages over bag searches

Comments

• Reply 21 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gqb wrote: »
    2) employers don't have a right to steal time from their workers.

That goes both ways, of course, but the opposite isn't relevant here.
  • Reply 22 of 291
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    So I guess these same employees wouldn't mind if Apple docked their pay for the time they spend on personal calls while on the clock? This is petty nonsense.
  • Reply 23 of 291
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Or how about stop bring those bag to work - Why do you need any bag? Are you bringing any tools from home? Only thing I can think is maybe lunch or dinner.

Ladies need bags for lady stuff.  Both genders may be students with school bags..working and going to school is common these days.

The point is, they are kept back at work and not compensated.  How about if your employer made you stay back an hour after you clock out...are you okay with that?  The retail works make 'bird food' money. Starting pay is around $10.75/hr.  Anyone here making that? If so, I'm sure the ~$1,000 you're missing could at least pay for your transportation to and from work, school, and home.  

Put yourself in that hypothetical situation, and consider how you would feel.

• Reply 24 of 291
    This is pretty black and white. If Apple Retail wants to do bag checks, do it while the employee is on the clock. If store management is telling employees to clock out, and then submit to a bag check, there are legal issues, especially if employees are waiting around 10-15 minutes.
  • Reply 25 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Any time you are required to be at work (like lining up for bag searches) you should be compensated for your time.

I guess it begs the question, should airport employees, for example, be on the clock the minute they enter the terminal?

Perhaps Apple should have a room or lockers off site for employees to store their personal property. As such, they would have to or be able to bring in 'bags' of coat pockets into the workplace. Thus no need to conduct a search.

• Reply 26 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jblongz wrote: »
    Ladies need bags for lady stuff.  Both genders may be students with school bags..working and going to school is common these days.

None of these cases are valid. Ladies do not "need" bags.
    The point is, they are kept back at work and not compensated.  How about if your employer made you stay back an hour after you clock out...are you okay with that?

If I'm the reason it's happening, like they are, I have to be okay with it.
    Put yourself in that hypothetical situation, and consider how you would feel.

"Wow, if my time is really that important, I should probably stop bringing my bag."
  • Reply 27 of 291
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Just a pet peeve...Why is Apple always referred to as "the iPhone maker". Well never mind they make all kinds of other successful products too. Can you editors come up with something else to describe Apple other than the maker of the iPhone?

Should be the "iPhone designer"
  • Reply 28 of 291
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

An employee's personal time is his/her personal time. If Apple takes a bite out of it, the company should pay for it. Or, allow employees to leave their posts 15 - 20 mins earlier, and not dock them their pay.

• Reply 29 of 291
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I doubt if

1) the searches happened if you didn't have a bag.
    2) it took that long. 15 minutes is a long time to search a few employees bags. that would be minutes each person each shift. And to always wait 15 minutes you would always have to be last.

People often go through security before clocking in, never after.
  • Reply 30 of 291
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I call BS.

If they were really waiting 10-15 minutes before leaving for their lunch break and 10-15 minutes when returning, they'd be suing for violation of Federal laws which require a lunch break.
  • Reply 31 of 291

"Former retail employees from Apple Stores..."

Could be disgruntled ex-employees with an axe to grind, after Browett's time in charge of the retail side & his cutbacks.

I'm not in or from the US, & I don't work for Apple, but at the company I work for we get searched as we leave, bags + body scanners. The searches are annoying, but I can understand the security issues. Anyway was / is the search practice part of their contracts they signed when they joined? If so, this might be dead before it gets too far, as they obviously signed the contracts to get the jobs.

• Reply 32 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ladies do not "need" bags.

"Wow, if my time is really that important, I should probably stop bringing my bag."

You lose all credibility when you post tripe like this.

• Reply 33 of 291
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member

This whole thing is pretty silly, but somehow I feel compelled to comment. I am on salary, but I have a contract that states our official company hours. Almost nobody in the company (500+ employees in New York) works the actual hours, and most people work a lot more, certainly no "overtime" compensation. That's pretty normal in New York, and probably a lot of other places.

If the employees are locked into a long-term contract with penalties if they breach that contract, it would be unfair if they didn't know the terms of their employment, but I don't think that's the case here. If they weren't told ahead of time, they probably figured out after about one day that bringing a bag means that they will have to wait to be searched, on their own time. So they have choices: bring the bag, be searched and deal with it, or don't bring the bag. If we're going to be super petty, should the people who choose to bring bags get to work less productive time for the same pay, so they won't have to be searched on their own time? Presumably they can do something fun with their iPhone while they wait in line. Maybe they even got a discount on that phone.

The bags are a security risk, and Apple lets the employees bring them anyway, even though it is costing to search them.

My manager wants us at our seats at 9:30, but sometimes the elevator takes FOREVER to come (and it's 42 floors, so it's still faster to wait). Once I'm in the office building, should I have to wait for the elevator on my own time? (Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes.) On the other hand, there are times I'm here and post on AI instead of doing "work."

• Reply 33 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

"Former retail employees from Apple Stores..."

Could be disgruntled ex-employees with an axe to grind

The currently employed ones may be afraid to take on their employer for fear of their jobs.

• Reply 35 of 291
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Any time you are required to be at work (like lining up for bag searches) you should be compensated for your time.

where is the thumbs down button?! 

Once more in America, we make up hardship and the sue for compensation! 

• Reply 36 of 291
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    where is the thumbs down button?! 

Once more in America, we make up hardship and the sue for compensation! 

Is management subjected to the same? Who's checking the bag checkers?
  • Reply 37 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Their case is perfectly valid. Company wants your time, company pays you. Pretty simple.

Apple has a right to be diligent, but not on their employees' dime.

For a bunch of people who stand around all day, when not taking several 15 minute break and a lunch, talking, they really have it hard don't they? 

• Reply 38 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Is management subjected to the same? Who's checking the bag checkers?

I would presume everyone is and management checks each other. 

• Reply 39 of 291
    "Former retail employees"... repeat Former. Not current, former.

I do not take stock in former employee's "suit". Show me current, then I can see maybe having a case. Former are usually on the disgruntled side and usually want more money, or "payback" for being released.

If you are current and have an issue, one, don't bring a bag, or two, get everyone together or a group to talk to your manager about it. Being sued by former's is not going to change anything for currents.
  • Reply 40 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

They should be compensated for any extra time on work premises while under the authority of the employer.  Doing a search is work...work = compensation.  This is a shame for a company who's products I enjoy.

Again, this is why the American work force is junk! You don't mind taking 15 minute breaks every three hours of doing nothing, but NO WAY should I give back 5 minutes for a bad check! 

Stupid Americans! And we have a government we deserve and an economy we deserve!