Apple retail workers file class action suit claiming lost wages over bag searches

1356715

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 291
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    That goes both ways, of course, but the opposite isn't relevant here.


     


    100% correct, and I bet most of these employees are not productive 100% of the time while at work. 

  • Reply 42 of 291
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    This really makes me wonder about the validity of a costco or or other such search where somebody wants to go through my goods after i pay for them. Do they have that right?

    Or is costco obligated to provide a follower at every register? Am i breaking some law by thumbing my nose and walking past them?

    And has anyone calculated the nunber of apple employees there are in retail in the US?

    That number, multiplied by $1500.00 and then multiplied again by 40 percent, is what the law firm enacting this suit will be compensated if they win. Ponder that.

    I think there will be no settlement. I think apple takes it all the way.
  • Reply 43 of 291
    blond37blond37 Posts: 18member
    nah i agree with the person who said you dont HAVE to bring bags to work...
  • Reply 44 of 291
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jumper View Post


    Are you kidding .... what are we talking about maybe 1 minute or less. Every time I leave Costco they do the same thing. This is a stupid lawsuit. I hope it gets tossed. 



     


    No, "they" are talking about up to 1.5 hours a week in uncompensated time.  What you do at Costco is irrelevant.  The suit is in regards to allegations that certain Apple Stores  are requiring employees to be searched for unreasonable amounts of time.  If the allegations are accurate, it does seem like a valid complaint.  These aren't salary positions, these are low-wage hourly positions and that time is fairly substantial.  It seems, again if true, that the stores have an unreasonable procedure that they need to either fix, or live with, but then compensate the employees for their time.


     


    And to others that suggest "the whiners just leave and work somewhere else", that's great, except there aren't always other jobs available, and worse, if this is considered acceptable behavior, where do you draw the line?  Is it acceptable for a full hour a day for someone to have to do something at the workplace before they can start getting paid?  2 hours?  More?  Or does it make sense that when someone shows up at their workplace ready to work at the scheduled time that they start getting paid?


     


    All this being said, again, these are allegations which may not be true or there may be more to the store that isn't present in the article.  Since it is isolated to select stores, Apple Corp, may not have even been aware of the situation until now, and may not even hold the position that these uncompensated search times are reasonable.

  • Reply 45 of 291
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member


    .

  • Reply 46 of 291
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Then maybe you shouldn't be commenting on things you know nothing about.

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

    I just don't understand the pettiness.
  • Reply 47 of 291
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,397member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post


     


    100% correct, and I bet most of these employees are not productive 100% of the time while at work. 



    If they're compensated/promoted on the basis of your productivity, then your point is not terribly relevant.

  • Reply 48 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You lose all credibility when you post tripe like this.

    That's humorous. The world doesn't revolve around the individual. I'm right.
  • Reply 49 of 291
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post



    Jesus, will wonders never cease?


     


  • Reply 50 of 291
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Apple Employees should NEVER be allowed to bring in bags to work. Period.
  • Reply 51 of 291
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post



    This seems like a pretty basic issue for Apple to get hung up on.


     


    How is Apple "hung up on" the issue?

  • Reply 52 of 291
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macslut View Post


     


    No, "they" are talking about up to 1.5 hours a week in uncompensated time.  What you do at Costco is irrelevant.  The suit is in regards to allegations that certain Apple Stores  are requiring employees to be searched for unreasonable amounts of time.  If the allegations are accurate, it does seem like a valid complaint.  These aren't salary positions, these are low-wage hourly positions and that time is fairly substantial.  It seems, again if true, that the stores have an unreasonable procedure that they need to either fix, or live with, but then compensate the employees for their time.


     


    And to others that suggest "the whiners just leave and work somewhere else", that's great, except there aren't always other jobs available, and worse, if this is considered acceptable behavior, where do you draw the line?  Is it acceptable for a full hour a day for someone to have to do something at the workplace before they can start getting paid?  2 hours?  More?  Or does it make sense that when someone shows up at their workplace ready to work at the scheduled time that they start getting paid?


     


    All this being said, again, these are allegations which may not be true or there may be more to the store that isn't present in the article.  Since it is isolated to select stores, Apple Corp, may not have even been aware of the situation until now, and may not even hold the position that these uncompensated search times are reasonable.



     


    After spending a good part of my youth in retail, starting in the stockroom and working my way into management, I will assure you, NO ONE takes more thank 3 minutes to check bags. Unless the managers made themselves unavailable, which I doubt. Everyone checked backs after closing, and employees were clocked out while I locked the store. No one at all complained. 


     


    Furthermore, I would bet these employees are the same ones stealing time from the company by not being productive 100% of the time they are there, spending a 3rd of their time doing nothing. 


     


    Companies are forced to give 15 minute breaks to people not doing much work. 


     


    This is no more than America turning into the French, and we see what that gets you. 

  • Reply 53 of 291
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Apple employees should never be allowed to bring in bags to work.

    Prisons, the CIA, and other secure government facilities would never allow this since this allows drugs and other things to be smuggled into the prison or out of the prison.

    If you want to bring your own lunch, store it in the car. If you have a bag, keep it in your car.

  • Reply 54 of 291
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    If they're compensated/promoted on the basis of your productivity, then your point is not terribly relevant.



     


    On the basis of my productivity? I'm not following your statement, sorry. :( 

  • Reply 55 of 291
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post



    Just a pet peeve...Why is Apple always referred to as "the iPhone maker". Well never mind they make all kinds of other successful products too. Can you editors come up with something else to describe Apple other than the maker of the iPhone?


     


    They could, but those alternate descriptors result in fewer clicks. Web sites are engaged in a game of eyeballs.

  • Reply 56 of 291
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jumper View Post


    Are you kidding .... what are we talking about maybe 1 minute or less. Every time I leave Costco they do the same thing. This is a stupid lawsuit. I hope it gets tossed. 



     


    Class-action lawsuits have one beneficiary, the law firm representing. They make millions if they win big and the 'group' gains little.

  • Reply 57 of 291
    jumper wrote: »
    Are you kidding .... what are we talking about maybe 1 minute or less. Every time I leave Costco they do the same thing. This is a stupid lawsuit. I hope it gets tossed. 
    How would you feel about waiting 5-15 minutes to get out of Costco?
  • Reply 58 of 291
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Jesus, will wonders never cease?
    Pretty sure His answer would be, "No".
    :D
  • Reply 59 of 291
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,381member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    Yes, because corporations are sainted objects of worship and whatever they say goes.


    Nothing like self-loathing humans.



     


    Where the **** did I imply that? Oh yeah, I didn't, yet you decided to slather on religious language and assumptions of self-hatred to my post, just because. 


     


    My point is that does anyone REALLY believe Apple does this in order to nickel and dime their employees in order to steal a few bucks off them from this policy? I mean, really? It's obviously a logistics issue, where the security check is much more easily done after the process of checking out, and not before. Pragmatically aknowleging that probable reality does not make true anything you just said. Also, in my view anyone who makes this much of a fuss over a couple minutes per shift should not even be doing that job, as clearly they have absolutely no passion or interest in it. 

  • Reply 60 of 291
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    retrogusto wrote: »
    This whole thing is pretty silly, but somehow I feel compelled to comment. I am on salary, but I have a contract that states our official company hours. Almost nobody in the company (500+ employees in New York) works the actual hours, and most people work a lot more, certainly no "overtime" compensation. That's pretty normal in New York, and probably a lot of other places.

    If the employees are locked into a long-term contract with penalties if they breach that contract, it would be unfair if they didn't know the terms of their employment, but I don't think that's the case here. If they weren't told ahead of time, they probably figured out after about one day that bringing a bag means that they will have to wait to be searched, on their own time. So they have choices: bring the bag, be searched and deal with it, or don't bring the bag. If we're going to be super petty, should the people who choose to bring bags get to work less productive time for the same pay, so they won't have to be searched on their own time? Presumably they can do something fun with their iPhone while they wait in line. Maybe they even got a discount on that phone.

    The bags are a security risk, and Apple lets the employees bring them anyway, even though it is costing to search them.

    My manager wants us at our seats at 9:30, but sometimes the elevator takes FOREVER to come (and it's 42 floors, so it's still faster to wait). Once I'm in the office building, should I have to wait for the elevator on my own time? (Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes.) On the other hand, there are times I'm here and post on AI instead of doing "work."

    Your experience is irrelevant.

    You are on salary, they are hourly employees. It's illegal to require an hourly employee to work off the clock, and these bag checks are uncompensated work time.

    No contract can legally modify this, it's completely irrelevant if they signed something.
Sign In or Register to comment.