Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Lets face it, those particular round icons aren't great. But is [sic] iOS shipped with round....

Let's face it: it won't.

• Reply 42 of 172
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

This brings me to apps, do Android apps work on that Samsung OS?

Yes they seem  to have a utility called Polaris App Player,  that helps you run Android apps. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR932y5TtcA

• Reply 43 of 172

Please proceed, co-CEO.

• Reply 44 of 172
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

For an article all about "Tizen" you might want to spend a paragraph explaining what Tizen actually is, how it works, what it's based on etc. Is it Unix? Is it an Android clone?  Does it run Android apps?  

If Samsung is smart, Tizen should be a bridge from Android, not an alternative.  If a Tizen phone cannot at least initially run Android apps for instance it will never take off at all. 

• Reply 45 of 172
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Alien Dalvik and other ports of the Dalvik VM enables most Android apps to run on Meego, Maemo, BlackBerry OS 10, iOS (yes, you can run Android apps on Apple devices if you're jailbroken and install Alien Dalvik), etc...  So running Android apps on Tizen shouldn't be a problem...

There's "technically feasible" and there is "runs apps."  They aren't the same thing at all.  

If Tizen cannot at least initially, seamlessly run all Android apps, it won't ever be successful.  If it can do that, and then at the same time have a better UI than the Android mess, it will run Android into the ground. 

• Reply 46 of 172
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Looks different, kinda nice. Gotta respect hand it to Samsung for coming up with this. But whatever happened to their other OS, Bada?

Tizen is the flavor of the month OS, or maybe they realized that Android cost them $1B in legal cost and they could have just written something from scratch for less.

• Reply 47 of 172
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Android users already bitch about how long it takes for apps to be ported to Google Play (e.g. BBC iPlayer).  

I think this would be a colossally bad move on the part of Samsung, and I support it 100%.  image

Agreed. The beginning of the end for Samsung's dominance of the crap-phone market. Go for it Samsung! 

• Reply 48 of 172
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    There's "technically feasible" and there is "runs apps."  They aren't the same thing at all.  

If Tizen cannot at least initially, seamlessly run all Android apps, it won't ever be successful.  If it can do that, and then at the same time have a better UI than the Android mess, it will run Android into the ground. 

Android doesn't even run all Android apps seamlessly. :)
  • Reply 49 of 172
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I wonder if they're naive enough to think they can run on the popularity of their Galaxy phones?

• Reply 50 of 172
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

There is a video showing Tizen running on a prototype hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7cPEQpxsNE

Looks very slow and boring to me.

• Reply 51 of 172
    Let's face it: it won't.

I agree. It won't.
  • Reply 52 of 172
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Third party apps will need to be written.  Maybe they are in talks with Microsoft for a lead on all the developers anxious to develop for their new platform.  /s

• Reply 53 of 172

A little more information on what Tizen is composed of (dating back to Maemo in 2005):

File:Mer and mobile operating systems.svg

• Reply 54 of 172
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    nikilok wrote: »
    Samsung building an Eco System. Lets see now Microsoft tried, with limited amount of success. Blackberry did with not much success, oh and all these companies have a history of building software systems, now think again. Yes ?

So what's the solution to that problem? Should they just stop trying? All go with Android?
  • Reply 55 of 172
    don108don108 Posts: 79member
    "These changes help to differentiate Samsung smartphones from other Android phones on the market%u2026" and look more like an iPhone.
  • Reply 55 of 172
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Looks different, kinda nice. Gotta respect hand it to Samsung for coming up with this. But whatever happened to their other OS, Bada?

Bada got folded into the Tizen effort - ie dropped!.  Tizen will run existing Bada apps as well as Android apps.

My phone runs Bada.  It is actually a very nice and capable OS.

• Reply 57 of 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

2014 is the year Google and Samsung go to war with each other. Their key interests and goals are in complete conflict

For Google, their relationship with their main distribution arm is going to breakdown. Likely via Samsung forking Android or a substantial re-balancing of the key business terms (e.g. rev share on search advertising). It is a matter of when. Poof - 50% of Google's mobile business is at risk

For Samsung, Google is aggressively entering the hardware space - Moto X, Nexus 7. In particular, the Nexus 7 ensures that all OEMs including Samsung have zero chance of ever making any material profits in the tablet space. Google's goal is $0 hardware. It is in complete conflict with its OEM partners

I'm going to enjoy this shi* show over the next 18 months. The net net is it will benefit Apple

Extending this out to the full personal device landscape...

Apple  - Sell great hardware for $$ with nearly free great software, as a platform for an immersive ecosystem... eventually invert the model and make the ecosystem the primary profit source.

Samsung - Sell Hardware for $$, with whatever SW seems to sell it best, add ecosystem(s) because people want it, but focus on building HW and selling it at maximum margin

Amazon - Sell hardware/SW at a loss, but make device the greatest book buying/reading unit, integrated into to the largest shopping center in the world, where you own the cash registers and fulfillment systems of every shop inside.

Google/Moto - Sell hardware at negative margins, free OS, to drive eyeballs to adsense sites, and google services (first couple years are free, then either killed or monetized).

Nokia/MS - Oh, how the mighty have fallen...  how to keep MS Office and Xbox relevant in a post email/document/general-spreadsheet/GameSW world.

Blackberry - The not so mighty have fallen faster... but have a comets tail of touch typist loyalists

Sony/Nintendo - See MS/Blackberry... 

Asus/HP/DELL/Lenovo - 'Peak PC' has passed.  Servers are commodities. Cloud Data Centers will be like Utilities, small/medium/large businesses won't buy their own... they'll just 'buy it off the grid'  

That is your players list.  Anyone else will be selling pods/phones/pads that will effectively be fodder for carrier/carrier-resellers/bigbox  stock racks.

Odds are Blackberry and Nokia/MS will eventually wither and die...  and/or Google will see something new to do, and sell off Moto.    I don't see more than 4 players in the 'device ecosystem' environment, and Apple and Amazon have solid ecosystems, and Samsung is the megolith in device manufacturing

The key thing here is that Software has evolved to 'zero' value to the consumer. That kills Blackberry/MS-Nok, and in effect, Google/Android.   People (the 6.1Billion who don't know or care about 'Visual Basic' 'JIT', or 'Dalvik vs ObjC')  buy phones and ipads and tablets and computers... to DO stuff.  They don't buy it to 'run Word' or 'Jelly Bean"

In the end... it will be about ecosystems and integration into lives/businesses/family  (on the same device).   We want a device that is Personal Me, Daddy/Mommy Me, Corporate Me, my Private business me, Game Player Me, Carlos Danger Me, Mother's Son/Daughter Me, and 'oh, child/friend/mother wants to borrow my device me.'   

The wildcard (in many ways) is Amazon.   They are all about free cash flow (Sell Stuff Faster, pay for it slower), which while not 'profit,' it is 'money to invest in making money'   They are 'When people scream GOLD Rush... Get into the Shovel Selling Business... buy more shovels now, pay for them later, after they are sold, and figure out a way to sell them with zero ('or negative') overhead!" 

• Reply 58 of 172
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Shockingly, these icons actually look good. Very clean, refined, and consistent. Why are Samsung's touchwiz icons such shit in comparison? 

As for Tizen, I hope to God they have the hubris and idiocy to do this. It would screw Google, as well as themselves over in one blow. 

• Reply 59 of 172
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    starbird73 wrote: »
    +1

Lets face it, those particular round icons aren't great. But is iOS shipped with round, which I could see, would opinions be the same? Apple OSs already have lots of round...

I seem to remember some criticism of the ugly round icons on the iPod nano, so I guess the answer is: yes, their stupidity is more than it just their company of origin.

Seriously, this looks like a terrible copy of a dated version of iOS. It's home screen is a grid of icons, the gestures listed are the same, and its home button is even a rectangle. I don't see how this gels with all the Samsung shills/fandroids screaming that the icon grid in iOS links dated and that the icon grid in the apple vs. Samsung trial wasn't a fair comparison because it isn't the home screen in android.
  • Reply 60 of 172
    Motorola ditched Motoblur for stock Android? But but but Motorola is an independently operated company! /s