Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 172
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense. Google sells Nexus devices by the millions and makes absolutely no effort to limit their sale. They'd be happy to take all the sales they can get. "Not intended as a commercial success" is total BS. Google goes out of its way to sell as many Nexus devices as they can with full advertising and so on.

Yes, I suppose that owners of the original iPhone might not be able to run a tiny percentage of current apps.

But anyone denying that the problem is 100 times worse on Android for the reasons I already gave is lying.

According to the market research I read, they only sold 1 million Nexus 4 phones up through Feb. 2013.  They had a long period where Google wasn't even ordering them as LG said the stock outs was due to production issues, it was because Google didn't order that many and Google didn't want to impede on Samsung business.

The Nexus 7 sold as of July 2013 and these numbers are from market research that are supposed to be reliable sources.  They didn't list Nexus 10 sales, probably due to poor sales.

• Reply 142 of 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The camera is horrible, especially in low light, and it doesn't support 4G/LTE, plus the battery life wasn't that great.

The camera was definitely average, although it was slightly improved through updates, it still never managed to excel in anything particular.

It supports HSPA+ 42 worldwide and select LTE bands.

The battery life was improved a fair bit when Android 4.2.2 was released, and even more with Android 4.3. 

It also has a number of other features to offer. NFC, wireless charging, Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi a/b/g/n 2.4GHz/5GHz, etc.

The S4 Pro SoC also allowed the Nexus 4 to be one of the first devices on the market to have hardware support for OpenGL ES 3.0.

Calling this device 'mid-range' is just wrong.

• Reply 143 of 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

The camera was definitely average, although it was slightly improved through updates, it still never managed to excel in anything particular.

The battery life was improved a fair bit when Android 4.2.2 was released, and even more with Android 4.3. 

It also has a number of other features to offer. NFC, wireless charging, Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi a/b/g/n 2.4GHz/5GHz, etc.

The S4 Pro SoC also allowed the Nexus 4 to be one of the first devices on the market to have hardware support for OpenGL ES 3.0.

4.2.2?  NFC had a hack, so that was released too soon, no one really uses NFC.  I've asked most of my Android using friends and most of them don't even know what NFC is, if they had it in their smartphone and how to use it.

Wireless charging is dumb, it requires an expensive charging unit that's not that portable and wireless charging is really overrated.

I still call it mid-range.  It's priced as a mid-range phone.

• Reply 144 of 172

Quote:

A phone priced at $400 or less is considered a mid-range phone. I can't help it if they really didn't sell many.  If it was a REAL high end phone selling dirt cheap, then why did the S3 outsell the Nexus 4?  Huh? I would classify the S3 as a high end phone, but I wouldn't classify the Nexus 4 as one.  Sorry, but I have my opinion and you have yours.

• Reply 145 of 172

Quote:

I would argue that.

The Nexus 4 was the sister phone to the LG's Optimus G flagship. At the time of launch, the Snapdragon S4 Pro was the most powerful SoC inside of a phone. It came with just about every feature expected of a flagship device. The only drawback was the lack of LTE support on many  networks (although never advertised, the Nexus 4 could run on select LTE bands).

The Nexus 10 was the first Android tablet to introduce a resolution beyond 1920x1200. It housed Samsung's Exynos 5250 which was the first SoC to market with ARM's Cortex A15 (ARMv8), and LPDDR3 memory. It was also the first SoC (and still is) to use ARM's Mali T600 series, the Mali-T604.

The first Nexus 7 is the only mid~high range product. Tegra 3 (2012 model) and Snapdragon S4 Pro (2013 model) had both been on the market for quite sometime before the launch of the Nexus 7. To the Nexus 7's defence, it was the first full feature 7inch tablet, and is now the first high resolution 7inch tablet. 

If rumours of the Nexus 5 are true, the LG G2 (being announced tomorrow morning) will be the sister phone, and it uses a 1080p display combined with Qualcomm's Snapdragon 800 + LTE-Advanced. So once again it will be a top of the line device.

Why are you so upset? did you buy one?

• Reply 146 of 172

Quote:

4.2.2?  NFC had a hack, so that was released too soon, no one really uses NFC.  I've asked most of my Android using friends and most of them don't even know what NFC is, if they had it in their smartphone and how to use it.

Wireless charging is dumb, it requires an expensive charging unit that's not that portable and wireless charging is really overrated.

I still call it mid-range.  It's priced as a mid-range phone.

The Nexus 4 launched with 4.2.1, it was then updated to 4.2.2. 4.3 is the latest version of Android.

There are plenty of services and devices that support NFC. An example of day-to-day NFC use are the chips inside credit card for Visa PayWave or Master Card PayPass.

Overrated or not, wireless charging is still an additional feature that some enjoy.

Just because it was priced as a mid range device doesn't mean it was a mid range device.

Next time I recommend you actually take to time to educate yourself on the device before passing judgement.

• Reply 147 of 172

Quote:

A phone priced at $400 or less is considered a mid-range phone. I can't help it if they really didn't sell many.  If it was a REAL high end phone selling dirt cheap, then why did the S3 outsell the Nexus 4?  Huh? I would classify the S3 as a high end phone, but I wouldn't classify the Nexus 4 as one.  Sorry, but I have my opinion and you have yours.

When has sales or price ever made a device high-end or low-end?

• Reply 148 of 172
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What is dumb is that the media shouldn't hype the Nexus product that much since it's not a product Google expects to make much money on.  And it's NOT a high end product, it's medium grade product.

Actually, I'm surprised that the press, especially the tech media, doesn't hype Nexus devices more as the only Android devices to get prompt OS updates. The tech sites ought to hammer "high end" device makers for updating their OS's so slowly if at all. Why hasn't Samsung updated the GS3 to 4.2? 

If Samsung has this much trouble updating their OS when most of the heavy lifting is already done by Google, how will they cope with having to maintain the core OS themselves?

• Reply 149 of 172

Quote:

The Nexus 4 launched with 4.2.1, it was then updated to 4.2.2. 4.3 is the latest version of Android.

There are plenty of services and devices that support NFC. An example of day-to-day NFC use are the chips inside credit card for Visa PayWave or Master Card PayPass.

Overrated or not, wireless charging is still an additional feature that some enjoy.

Just because it was priced as a mid range device doesn't mean it was a mid range device.

Next time I recommend you actually take to time to educate yourself on the device before passing judgement.

Why? I read several different comparisons of the product and it do too well for things I mentioned.  It was announced and it didn't do 4G/LTE, the iPhone 5 does 4G/lLTE, the S3 does 4G/LTE.

As far as I read, it wasn't a FREKING HIGH END PHONE, so get over yourself.

High end phones are PRICED AS A HIGH END PHONE.

How about looking at it like this?

Which one of these cars do you think is NOT a high end car.

Mercedes S 63  AMG

Kia Cadenza?

Each of these 4 door cars are the most expensive from each company.  So they are their respective FLAGSHIP PRODUCTS.

From the way YOU sound, the Kia would be a high end car.  From my perspective the Kia would be a mid-range car.

The Mercedes is a car that's PRICED as a HIGH end car, and the KIa is PRICED as a MID PRICED car.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

If there was a review of these two cars, would the Kia rate as well as the Mercedes?

From the comparison reviews I read, it didn't rate the Nexus 4 as good of a phone as an iPhone 5 or S3. I wonder why.

• Reply 150 of 172

Quote:

Why? I read several different comparisons of the product and it do too well for things I mentioned.  It was announced and it didn't do 4G/LTE, the iPhone 5 does 4G/lLTE, the S3 does 4G/LTE.

As far as I read, it wasn't a FREKING HIGH END PHONE, so get over yourself.

High end phones are PRICED AS A HIGH END PHONE.

How about looking at it like this?

Which one of these cars do you think is NOT a high end car.

Mercedes S 63  AMG

Kia Cadenza?

Each of these 4 door cars are the most expensive from each company.  So they are their respective FLAGSHIP PRODUCTS.

From the way YOU sound, the Kia would be a high end car.  From my perspective the Kia would be a mid-range car.

The Mercedes is a car that's PRICED as a HIGH end car, and the KIa is PRICED as a MID PRICED car.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

If there was a review of these two cars, would the Kia rate as well as the Mercedes?

From the comparison reviews I read, it didn't rate the Nexus 4 as good of a phone as an iPhone 5 or S3. I wonder why.

Once again, the Nexus 4 unofficially supports LTE on select bands:

Your car analogy makes not sense. The Snapdragon S4 Pro inside of the Nexus 4 is more powerful than the A6 inside the iPhone 5 and the Snapdragon S4 inside the Galaxy S3.

I don't understand why this is so hard for you to grasp, higher price does not always mean a device is or isn't high end.

If it makes you feel better, the Nexus 4 was only $300/$350 in select countries from the Google Play store. There was also limited supply until January 2013. In other parts of the world the Nexus 4 sold for up to ~$650. The price to get the device from a provider (off contract) was also between $400~$600.

Love it or hate it, when this device was launched in 2012 it was high end.

• Reply 151 of 172

Quote:

Your car analogy makes not sense. The Snapdragon S4 Pro inside of the Nexus 4 is more powerful than the A6 inside the iPhone 5 and the Snapdragon S4 inside the Galaxy S3.

I don't understand why this is so hard for you to grasp, higher price does not always mean a device is or isn't high end.

If it makes you feel better, the Nexus 4 was only $300/$350 in select countries from the Google Play store. There was also limited supply until January 2013. In other parts of the world the Nexus 4 sold for up to ~$650. The price to get the device from a provider was also between $400~$600.

I still think it's a POS.  And you should just stick to going to Android related sites and enjoy high fiving each other on Android products.  I don't go on Android related sites like you do.  So, what's your problem?  Are you desperate for attention?  Did you not understand that I don't classify Android as a platform I will consider due to the apps I want to use don't exist on the Android platform?

Android isn't a secure platform.  Heck, they didn't even have a Find my Phone app until just recently. Too much malware.  Not enough apps that I plan on using.

There are apps on IOS and OS X that I use daily that sync up with one another so which ever device I'm on, when I update a data file, it automatically updates all of the others.  To me, that's a useful feature that I use DAILY.  I can't do that on Android.  

I also kind of have to use an iPad due to software and hardware that I'm planning on getting in the future that ONLY run on  iPads and they aren't going to make them for Android and I don't want to use a OS for a smartphone that's different from my tablet.  I've got enough stuff to learn about.  So have fun with your little Nexus 4 phone and go to a Nexus/Android site and talk amongst yourselves and stop bothering others that aren't interested in Nexus products.

Well, why did it not sell better than the S3 or iPhone 5 if it's so freaking good? Because Google didn't want to sell that many?  

• Reply 152 of 172

Quote:

If it makes you feel better, the Nexus 4 was only $300/$350 in select countries from the Google Play store. There was also limited supply until January 2013. In other parts of the world the Nexus 4 sold for up to ~$650. The price to get the device from a provider (off contract) was also between $400~$600.

I don't ever plan on buying a Nissan product.   So why would I waste my time learning about them?  To me, that's a waste of my time. Do I care about their products? NOPE. Do I like their products? NOT REALLY.  I've ridden in several Nissan cars that people I know have owned and for what it's worth, I wasn't that impressed with them.  But some of the owners of their cars LOVE them like they are the best things in the entire planet.  But to me, they're a POS. I wouldn't buy one, I wouldn't consider them and I could care LESS about them, to me they are cheap cars.  I don't have to own one either to know that.

• Reply 153 of 172

Quote:

I still think it's a POS.  And you should just stick to going to Android related sites and enjoy high fiving each other on Android products.  I don't go on Android related sites like you do.  So, what's your problem?  Are you desperate for attention?  Did you not understand that I don't classify Android as a platform I will consider due to the apps I want to use don't exist on the Android platform?

Android isn't a secure platform.  Heck, they didn't even have a Find my Phone app until just recently. Too much malware.  Not enough apps that I plan on using.

There are apps on IOS and OS X that I use daily that sync up with one another so which ever device I'm on, when I update a data file, it automatically updates all of the others.  To me, that's a useful feature that I use DAILY.  I can't do that on Android.  

I also kind of have to use an iPad due to software and hardware that I'm planning on getting in the future that ONLY run on  iPads and they aren't going to make them for Android and I don't want to use a OS for a smartphone that's different from my tablet.  I've got enough stuff to learn about.  So have fun with your little Nexus 4 phone and go to a Nexus/Android site and talk amongst yourselves and stop bothering others that aren't interested in Nexus products.

Well, why did it not sell better than the S3 or iPhone 5 if it's so freaking good? Because Google didn't want to sell that many?  

When did this become about Android?  I don't really care what you think about the OS or the device.

My reply to your original message was to explain how your claim about the Nexus 4 being a mid-range device is incorrect.

On a personal note, I tend to keep up with the majority of tech news.  The mobile industry and the technology that surrounds it just happens to be one of my many interests.

The initial sale of the Nexus 4 was extremely limited until January of 2013.  The distribution was only in select markets, and the device had no advertising aside from listings by cellular providers.  Really, it shouldn't be that hard to understand, I don't know why I'm even entertaining this.

• Reply 154 of 172
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    lakings33 wrote: »

ltenexus4.jpg
    Nexus-4-LTE-Screenshot.jpg

The more powerful processor Alone means nothing. Oh yeah android as a platform needs more hardware power and needs to have a bigger size to fit a larger battery to get the performance an iPhone gets with lower processor specs and a compact body with a smaller battery.

It's the software system running on the device that allows it to achieve this along with the hardware capabilities. Which is precisely why an iPhone is a class apart from any android phone out there.

The notion of having a bigger screen is technically there lack of expertise to make the device as efficient as the iPhone on lower processors / battery.

And they coverup that fact by saying well the people want bigger sized phones. Gosh a phone that feels like a tablet in your pocket or hands, no thank you.
  • Reply 155 of 172
    ziadjkziadjk Posts: 55member
    I thought the "simple alternative to Android" is iOS....
  • Reply 156 of 172
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

The more powerful processor Alone means nothing. Oh yeah android as a platform needs more hardware power and needs to have a bigger size to fit a larger battery to get the performance an iPhone gets with lower processor specs and a compact body with a smaller battery.

It's the software system running on the device that allows it to achieve this along with the hardware capabilities. Which is precisely why an iPhone is a class apart from any android phone out there.

The notion of having a bigger screen is technically there lack of expertise to make the device as efficient as the iPhone on lower processors / battery.

And they coverup that fact by saying well the people want bigger sized phones. Gosh a phone that feels like a tablet in your pocket or hands, no thank you.

A wider display could justify a wider battery only if the increased capacity outweighs the extra power consumption. But if battery life actually improves as the display gets larger, Tim Cook wouldn't have cited battery life as a tradeoff of a larger screen (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/29/apples-cook-explains-one-a-year-iphone-strategy-hints-at-future-models-at-variable-price-points). Therefore it's more likely that the battery is larger because of the display, not the other way around. Can you supply evidence to the contrary?

• Reply 157 of 172
    ziadjk wrote: »
    I thought the "simple alternative to Android" is iOS....
    For the people yes. For samsung No.
  • Reply 158 of 172
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    A wider display could justify a wider battery only if the increased capacity outweighs the extra power consumption. But if battery life actually improves as the display gets larger, Tim Cook wouldn't have cited battery life as a tradeoff of a larger screen (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/29/apples-cook-explains-one-a-year-iphone-strategy-hints-at-future-models-at-variable-price-points). Therefore it's more likely that the battery is larger because of the display, not the other way around.
    The wider screen size of most android phones are not to just power a wider screen, but the more resource intensive hardware compared to there iOS counterparts.
  • Reply 159 of 172

Quote:

When did this become about Android?  I don't really care what you think about the OS or the device.

My reply to your original message was to explain how your claim about the Nexus 4 being a mid-range device is incorrect.

On a personal note, I tend to keep up with the majority of tech news.  The mobile industry and the technology that surrounds it just happens to be one of my many interests.

The initial sale of the Nexus 4 was extremely limited until January of 2013.  The distribution was only in select markets, and the device had no advertising aside from listings by cellular providers.  Really, it shouldn't be that hard to understand, I don't know why I'm even entertaining this.

It's priced in the mid-range price category probably because it only comes in 8 and 16G models and if they tried to sell it for more money that was equal to Apple, they'd probably sell less than they did.  I don't know if Google can private label a product at the same price point as Apple for a flagship product.   There are reasons why people will pay a premium for Apple and a lot has to do with everything surrounding the company and the eco-system.  From evaluating the various eco-systems, Google seems like the cheap me too sibling.  

They are PRICED as a mid range product.  They don't support 4G/LTE everywhere, the camera comparisons for low level light was awful when compared to a S3, iPhone 5 and last year's Nokia (whatever model it was), that's one comparison test I read.  Of the four, the Nokia was the best, the iPhone 5 was second best and almost as good as the Nokia and the S3 and Nexus 4 both sucked.  Do I use that?  actually, yeah, I have needed a camera that needed to do a decent low light photos for a legal document I was dealing with that I had to send a pdf version of and actually my iPhone 4 worked just fine.  I still don't have any problems with my iPhone 4 despite whatever problems people blew out of proportion.  I actually brought it to Apple just for shits and grins to see how the battery was doing and it's still holding a charge just fine. I've never had an app crash on their diagnostics s/w they run, nor have I have any dropped calls that I can remember, nor have I ever had to reinstall the OS. It has worked flawlessly with the exception of having a setting that I just had to switch off that I didn't realize would cause a certain symptom.  Other than that, it's been working just fine, but I am planning on replacing it since it's getting close to the 2 year contract coming up so I'm starting to see what i want to replace it with.  So, I've decided to wait until Apple releases a larger screen model since my eyesight sucks. Even though I've never seen a large screen phone I actually liked holding with the exception of the HTC One. That's the only one that I've ever held that I liked, but since it's Android, I won't buy it.  Malware is a SERIOUS issue with me. I've been stung with Malware on a Windows PC which is one of the many reasons why I won't buy a Windows computer, no matter how much someone else likes em, no matter how much market share they have.  Malware and security are two MAJOR concerns for me for VERY good reason.  Also ease of use, reliability, interoperability with OS X, tech support, application and hardware products available.  So, all of the things I look at, Apple is the only one that meets or exceeds my criteria. They may not have one feature here or there, but that usually changes as features always get added and Apple manages to figure out useable ways to add features that I request or find useful.

Personally, Google should get off their asses and improve YouTube.  That service is so awful, I wish I didn't want to use it, but they have a lot of videos I enjoy watching that people post.  But there is a lot of crap videos and horrible operation and YouTube couldn't get rid of Flash based videos soon enough.  It's a shame that a company that has the monopoly on a video site sucks as bad as it does. I don't think Google really cares how bad their site is because they are the only game in town so they don't have anyone really competing with them.   But they are pretty much the only game in town with the most content, but if someone else had the same content, I'd probably use something else.  I don't think Apple wants to get involved with a YouTube service due to copyright problems plaguing YouTube submissions.  But if they did, they would certainly have a better experience, but it would take them a long time to get the same amount of content.  To me, that's about the only thing I would miss if Google went belly up and cease to exist.  Internet search, there is Yahoo and Bing which do pretty much the same thing, so I could easily switch which I'm always comparing to see what is the most consist service.  My life wouldn't change that much without Google, but it would change for the worse if Apple cease to exist because the options out there suck and it would take a LONG time before anyone could get to where Apple is and is going.

• Reply 160 of 172
    Lol Samsung just applied for a trademark in the US and other countries called Samsung Gear. aiming at watches / wearable tech.

What are the odds apple registered iWatch a while ago aswell.

What do they plan on running in there so called watch ? Android or Tizen ?