Samsung co-CEO pushes Tizen OS as more than a 'simple alternative for Android'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 172
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    2014 is the year Google and Samsung go to war with each other. Their key interests and goals are in complete conflict

For Google, their relationship with their main distribution arm is going to breakdown. Likely via Samsung forking Android or a substantial re-balancing of the key business terms (e.g. rev share on search advertising). It is a matter of when. Poof - 50% of Google's mobile business is at risk

For Samsung, Google is aggressively entering the hardware space - Moto X, Nexus 7. In particular, the Nexus 7 ensures that all OEMs including Samsung have zero chance of ever making any material profits in the tablet space. Google's goal is $0 hardware. It is in complete conflict with its OEM partners

I'm going to enjoy this shi* show over the next 18 months. The net net is it will benefit Apple
  • Reply 22 of 172
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Just had a look at the Tizen UI overview at https://developer.tizen.org/documentation/ux-guide/ui-overview

Oh boy, is that UI hideous or what?

What it reminds me most of is the UI for the DOS office system 'SmartWare' from the late 1980s. And I hated SmartWare (because it was useless). In other words, the UI concept is about 25 years old.

I don't think Jonny Ive has got anything to worry about.
    Looks like Android to me.
  • Reply 23 of 172
    aross99aross99 Posts: 95member
    Is Tizen going to run Android Apps? If not, then aren't they going to face an uphill battle with developers who don't want to port their applications to a new OS? Without the core apps, who is going to buy these phones?

I agree that the more ecosystems the better for Apple, and I would love to see Samsung dump Android, but it seems like the lack of apps would be a huge issue for them...
  • Reply 24 of 172
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

And today's news .... Google sues Samsung for copying their Android codes! image

Thats the funny part, when Amazon highjack Android to build its own ecosystem there was nothing Google can do about it because its open source. Amazon can even continu to update its OS using google own code.

This brings me to apps, do Android apps work on that Samsung OS?

• Reply 25 of 172
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Interesting - at least that screen shot makes it look like a less cluttered Samdroid phone. Seems like another company has announced and is shipping betas of a cleaner, lighter OS. Could it be... gasp ...iOS 7? What a coincidence.

I do appreciate the general palette choice for the colors as dork (or is that dark) is the new light. Gloomy.

Good luck fellas creating a new ecosystem to compete with the 2 big boys that count now. I have this nagging feeling that several companies can tell you how easy it is (of course without the heavy entrenchment by those two others so things may be a bit tougher) e.g., HPalm's webOS, Microsoft's old Sidekick Danger just turned out to be some inbred Kin, Sammy where is Bada? /s
  • Reply 26 of 172
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member

Round icons are fundamentally flawed and highly inefficient in such a small UI.   That is what you get when you put Samsung and Intel together - out of the gate, a substantial, structural mistake  

• Reply 28 of 172
    sdo2000sdo2000 Posts: 29member
    I'm sure Samsung will sell their Galaxy lines with Android and Tizen back to back. As long as they can sell their hardware with android I doubt they would ever abandon the platform.
  • Reply 29 of 172

Buy Boxee because you can't make their own - check

Copy (steal) from iOS and Android then claim to be the best and most innovative - check

Never make or create anything on your own - check

• Reply 30 of 172
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    If Samsung splits from Android, pack it up and call it a day.
  • Reply 31 of 172
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigma7 View Post

Yes. Any problem?

Samsung building an Eco System. Lets see now Microsoft tried, with limited amount of success. Blackberry did with not much success, oh and all these companies have a history of building software systems, now think again. Yes ?

• Reply 32 of 172
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    It's weird. If Google is taking some customers by using stock Android, rather than Samsung's weird version... Samsung is totally free to use stock android also. Instead, they're going to make an entirely new OS.
  • Reply 33 of 172
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Samsung's potential Android alternative, Tizen, is part of the Linux Foundation, and is governed by a technical steering group composed of Samsung and Intel. It supports both ARM and x86 processors, and is designed for smartphones, tablets, in-vehicle navigation systems, television sets and more.

In a timely announcement today Intel says they're going after the education market themselves with two new tablet offerings designed specifically for schools. 7" and 10" display, atom-processors yada yada. Cheap and designed for bulk purchases, with education-centric accessories like temp probes and magnifying attachments included.

And as the other half of that Tizen group of course the OS they'll be running is. . .

Android?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Intel-announces-two-Atom-based-Android-tablets-for-school-use_id46095
  • Reply 34 of 172
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Looks different, kinda nice. Gotta [S]respect[/S] hand it to Samsung for coming up with this. But whatever happened to their other OS, [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bada]Bada[/URL]?

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/29451/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 35 of 172
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Just had a look at the Tizen UI overview at https://developer.tizen.org/documentation/ux-guide/ui-overview

Oh boy, is that UI hideous or what?

What it reminds me most of is the UI for the DOS office system 'SmartWare' from the late 1980s. And I hated SmartWare (because it was useless). In other words, the UI concept is about 25 years old.

I don't think Jonny Ive has got anything to worry about.

The UI can be improved over time. Like the black flat background could be replaced with dynamic effects like iOS 7's blured transparency.

The primary reason they are focusing on Tizen is to basically be able to do what Apple does today, with there controlled safe eco system. Samsung can only control all those factors by starting from scratch.

Edit : Oh yeah, they are unsure about what Google's direction can be with Android and the fact that Google being Samsungs competitor with the Moto X.

• Reply 36 of 172
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jungmark wrote: »
    You know what they say about copies of copies…

Three rights make a left!
  • Reply 37 of 172
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Well, they are the perfect shape for the clock icon.

I like the music player... Reminds me of the 70's and 80's.

• Reply 38 of 172
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Looks different, kinda nice. Gotta respect hand it to Samsung for coming up with this. But whatever happened to their other OS, Bada?

Sure that's not an Android screenshot? Looks like fonts match, notification bar, weather widget...?
  • Reply 39 of 172
    soloman wrote: »
    Are there any icons that they can use without being criticized?

+1

Lets face it, those particular round icons aren't great. But is iOS shipped with round, which I could see, would opinions be the same? Apple OSs already have lots of round...
  • Reply 40 of 172
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

Is Tizen going to run Android Apps? If not, then aren't they going to face an uphill battle with developers who don't want to port their applications to a new OS? Without the core apps, who is going to buy these phones?

I agree that the more ecosystems the better for Apple, and I would love to see Samsung dump Android, but it seems like the lack of apps would be a huge issue for them...

Alien Dalvik and other ports of the Dalvik VM enables most Android apps to run on Meego, Maemo, BlackBerry OS 10, iOS (yes, you can run Android apps on Apple devices if you're jailbroken and install Alien Dalvik), etc...  So running Android apps on Tizen shouldn't be a problem...