Hands-on with the new 64-bit A7-powered iPhone 5s with new M7, camera features & Touch ID

Comments

• Reply 21 of 166
    Does Google have a 64 bit version of Android to use with any attempts by Samsung to duplicate the functionality of the iPhone 5s? I think they will have difficulty copying the look of iOS7 because their screen tech uses more power for light colors? True?
  • Reply 22 of 166
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    great info from DED.

clearly the 5s is the most techinically advanced portable computer in the world now, with several very important new/re-born technologies deployed in Apple's typcial "just works" understated style instead of in-your-face pointless gimmicks.

but you would never learn that from reading all the blatently stupid commentary on the web about the 5s the last two days. i dare say, we may have seen a new low in shallow thinking among the tech media. could it get any worse?

but watch out, they'll cut off your finger!
  • Reply 23 of 166
    It's good to the finger print system works easily, is accurate and going to be a hit.
  • Reply 24 of 166

The iPhone 5 s is an awesome phone. But if would have been even more fantastic and incredible with a 5 inch screen. But I guess Apple will take the next step in their innovation cycle in 2014 with a bigger screened iPhone. I just hope they also make the bezels a bit smaller for the iPhone 6.

• Reply 25 of 166
    Cool article. Now where's the hands-on part?
  • Reply 26 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adam Foosaner View Post

First, I want to note that I enjoy Apple products and plan to purchase the 5s when it gets released.

That being said, why all of the Samsung bashing? A hands-on article like this on a pro-Apple website (nothing wrong with that) should focus exclusively on the phone itself. Instead, this "hands-on" article just seems to be trying to defend Apple's design choices against Samsung. Even the sub-header of the article states that, "Without any of Samsung's embarrassing show stereotypes and circus theatrics, Apple unveiled its "forward thinking" new iPhone 5s as not just "what's next," but "what should be next," advancing mobile devices into the 64-bit computing world for the first time". How does a header like that portray any sort of professionalism whatsoever? Few people would disagree that Samsung's Galaxy S4 unveiling was inappropriate, but how is that even remotely relevant to this article? Samsung shouldn't be mentioned at all on a pro-Apple website unless there is actual news about them that pertains to what is going on with Apple in some respect. There are ways to be in favor of one company or product without having to be against another. People who visit blogs like this have every right to their opinion, but they shouldn't be spoon-fed reasons not to like another company that makes millions of other people happy as well.

***Full disclosure*** - I used to own a Galaxy S4 and ended up not liking it. That is why I am switching to the iPhone 5s, since it is a product that works better for me. However, I can see why many other people enjoy the Galaxy series of phones so I do not hold hate for having diversity in the industry. 

Am I the only person who follows this site that believes that Apple Insider takes things too far sometimes with the bashing of other companies? Am I wrong to ask for a more professional style of writing?

So it's OK for Samsung to spend huge amounts of its enormous marketing and promotion budget to constantly bash Apple in their excruciatingly embarrassing adverts? Or to pay and bribe legions of celebrities, bloggers and other shills and trolls to bash Apple? But its not OK for AppleInsider to point out the numerous deficiencies of copycat Samsung...WOW, WHAT HYPOCRISY.

BTW, having set their paid for blogger, shills and trolls to bash Apple's  64 bit A7 processor, Samsung then anounceces they are going to introduce their own 64 bit processor in the next Galaxy....LOL

Well I guess that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

However the problem for Samsung is that Apple have more than a decade of hands on experience of transitioning from 32 bit to 64 bit OS and have made it easy for developers to upgrade their Apps. Also  Samsung will find it almost impossible to optimise Android for 64 bit, because it will require a whole new version of Android and developers will have an even greater fragmentation nightmare.

But what Samsung can do is optimise their smartphones to accelerate just to run fraudulently fast benchmarks  to secretely  achieve optimized to shine  benchmarks ...LOL

• Reply 27 of 166

You are right............. The great thing about Apple is they do all the R & D and they will include only the things which will be help full for their customer. They don't show off.................

• Reply 28 of 166
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

As developers make the transition via Apple's Xcode support for 64-bit, App Store titles can be delivered in "fat binaries" with both sets of code, allowing users to run apps that automatically work correctly, depending on the hardware being used. 

So, we can be near certain that 32 bit only iOS devices will be the next support cutoff. Just like with OSX with a Snow Leopard like release that thins down the binaries. 64 bit doesn't help the 5S a whole lot today, but it will help it be supported longer when the iPad and everything else move to it. 

• Reply 29 of 166
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    What i dont get is why limit the fingerprint sensor function just to unlock and itunes.
    Why not allow me to associate all my passwords to my fingerprint ... So that i can use it to enter password protected sits and etc.
    that is where the real value would be for me.
    Perhaps they want to show this works and want people to be comfortable with the technology before they expand it? My guess is over time we'll see it expanded to other things.
  • Reply 30 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

So it's OK for Samsung to spend huge amounts of its enormous marketing and promotion budget to constantly bash Apple in their excruciatingly embarrassing adverts? Or to pay and bribe legions of celebrities, bloggers and other shills and trolls to bash Apple? But its not OK for AppleInsider to point out the numerous deficiencies of copycat Samsung...WOW, WHAT HYPOCRISY.

BTW, having set their paid for blogger, shills and trolls to bash Apple's  64 bit A7 processor, Samsung then anounceces they are going to introduce their own 64 bit processor in the next Galaxy....LOL

Well I guess that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

However the problem for Samsung is that Apple have more than a decade of hands on experience of transitioning from 32 bit to 64 bit OS and have made it easy for developers to upgrade their Apps. Also  Samsung will find it almost impossible to optimise Android for 64 bit, because it will require a whole new version of Android and developers will have an even greater fragmentation nightmare.

But what Samsung can do is optimise their smartphones to accelerate just to run fraudulently fast benchmarks  to secretely  achieve optimized to shine  benchmarks ...LOL

At what point did I defend Samsung for bashing Apple in their marketing? Two wrongs don't make a right. All I was saying is that Apple Insider shouldn't engage in the same bashing. Also, I'm referring to the actions of a blog, not the actions of a company.

• Reply 31 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This phone truly looks like an incredible device. Superlative on all fronts. Don't see how someone can reasonable bash it, except for those that want phablets, and "open". The days of "lol iPhone doesn't have X or Y feature" are over. The only thing Apple bashers have left to cling to is "widgets", and convincing themselves the gimmicks that other manufactures shit out, that barely work, are useful and valuable.

Any objective person can see that the 5S destroys the myth that Apple lost its mojo and is no longer the leading innovator.

The 5S is at least a generation ahead of any other smartphone, being:

*  FIRST with ARM's 64 bit architecture in the incredibly fast A7 SoC processor which is an amazing 40 times faster than the original iPhone and with its doubling of graphics speed over the already superfast iPhone 5;  

* FIRST with the separate M chip which hugely reduces battery drain while operating 24-7 (lets hope they've patented the idea although Samsung will doutless copy it anyway) which will lead to many new mobility and fitness Apps and gadgets.

* FIRST with the their state of the art Athentec fingerprint scanner which provides really easy to use, reliable and exceptionally high level security

* FIRST with the really well thought out, advanced new camera hardware and software which needs the 64 bit power

*  all combined with iOS 7 which has been highly acclaimed by most critics and is almost certainly going to be a huge hit with users.

• Reply 32 of 166
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Will we be able to use sites or apps like Paypal, Amazon, and others to log in with just the fingerprint or will still have to manually type those in? That would really be an exiting feature that I would absolutely love. If the Touch ID can only be used to unlock my phone then it won't be nearly as useful since I can type my passcode pretty damn fast as it is. 

• Reply 33 of 166
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Any objective person can see that the 5S destroys the myth that Apple lost its mojo and is no longer the leading innovator.

"But it looks the same as the iPhone 5 and only added a gimmicky thumb print and gold color!"

• Reply 35 of 166
    brian wrote: »
    Thanks for your professional%u2014and principled%u2014articles. This is the clearest article re the Apple's announcements I have read do far.

So no more unlocked global GSM on the Verizon iPhone 5s? Does the 5c use the same radios?

The iPhone 5c models appear to have identical LTE/4G support.

Note that the Verizon iPhone 5 had unlocked GSM because it doesn't use GSM. The new 5s model for both Verizon & AT&T is the same hardware, but there's no reason for the Verizon version to have locked GSM. Each carrier chooses what functionality to lock on phones it subsidizes. It's not locked by Apple.

I've also heard Verizon's "net neutrality" LTE license prevents it from locking GSM
  • Reply 36 of 166
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adam Foosaner View Post

There was a feature earlier today about how they announced they want to move to a 64-bit architecture for their phones and the article is written in such a way that they are only doing it because Apple did it, which is almost certainly not true seeing as moving to a 64-bit architecture is a nature progression in computing in the first place. It was inevitable. 

Not to hate on _you_, Adam, but I think your comment re 64-bit architecture for smartphones is illustrative. There are scads of articles out there right now knocking Apple (or at the least expressing considerable skepticism) about the move to 64 bit. I tend to agree with you - it _is_ inevitable, just like smartphones with full screen fronts and modern smartphone GUIs were, as well as thin, touch-centric tablets. 

My point is, there's a lot of stuff we've seen in the last few years that, once Apple made them in a user-friendly, attractive form...well, of course, this design was inevitable. It's the only way one _could_ design a smartphone/tablet/personal music player/PC interface. And there are a number of companies that frankly have made a good business out of copying Apple's designs to a striking degree...none so immodestly or blatantly (or successfully) as Samsung. 

So please excuse us if we find it amusing that suddenly it's obvious to Samsung that 64 bit is the natural, inevitable evolution of smartphones...something they haven't been working on before, but because Apple has it now, so will they, soon.

• Reply 37 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

clearly the 5s is the most techinically advanced portable computer in the world now, with several very important new/re-born technologies deployed in Apple's typcial "just works" understated style instead of in-your-face pointless gimmicks.

Well said.

I would encourage everyone to watch the keynote. :)

• Reply 38 of 166
    Quote:

As developers make the transition via Apple's Xcode support for 64-bit, App Store titles can be delivered in "fat binaries" with both sets of code, allowing users to run apps that automatically work correctly, depending on the hardware being used. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

So, we can be near certain that 32 bit only iOS devices will be the next support cutoff. Just like with OSX with a Snow Leopard like release that thins down the binaries. 64 bit doesn't help the 5S a whole lot today, but it will help it be supported longer when the iPad and everything else move to it. 

Apple have many years of experience transiting from 32 to 64 bit architecture. They have provided a set of tools to make it really easy and fast for developers to upgrade. Developers can then concentrate on taking advantage of the much higher processing and graphics speed and quality to enhance their Apps. We can expect a flood of fantastic new or enhanced iOS Apps, which will make iOS Apps even better than Android's, than they already are.

These enhancement will be especially noticable in games and the new iPad with the A7 porocessor will be the ultimate mobile games machine.  It will be a huge differentiator.

Samesung have already announced they are going to copy Apple and have their own 64 bit processor. The problem is that they do not have the Apple's hands on experience and expertise and Android OS is not tailored to 64 bit either. It may take Android and Samsung years to catch up - if they ever do. 

• Reply 39 of 166
    It was inevitable. That's only one example. Apple Insider needs to focus on what Apple is doing, not on hating other companies. 

If everything is inevitable nothing is. Samsung had most of a year to respond to A6 and it delivered a C-15 chip. I'll bet there was a reason Apple out so much resources into developing its own A7 rather than sharing development costs with its new competitor that's been working overtime and spending billions to promote the idea that Apple can't "innovate."

Your comments on "hate" for Samsung are repugnant and ridiculous. You need to calm down your histrionics. Samsung should be able to be criticized for its behavior without such absurd accusations of "hatred" of the company by a disgruntled apologist.
  • Reply 40 of 166
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see some websites are knocking touch ID because it won't work in every possible situation. One example given was someone in an accident with burned fingers. Seriously? Are these same people complaining about Google Glass when bars, restaurants, etc. ban the device from their establishment? Oh and it's being knocked for no 3rd party support. Could that be because while Apple has tested it, they didn't test it on millions of people? Perhaps Apple prefers to go slow when it comes to security, especially with brand new technology they're introducing to the phone? To me it makes perfect sense that there is no 3rd party support right now.