Hands-on with the new 64-bit A7-powered iPhone 5s with new M7, camera features & Touch ID

Comments

• Reply 141 of 166
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

DED, I got your fingerprint now. ;-)

But they don't know who the fingerprint belongs to since it was a demo iPhone.  The fingerprint is stored on the phone and not on servers.

Who cares if they have access to your fingerprints.  I have gone through security clearance where they took my photo and fingerprints, and?  No one has come after me.  Some people are just a LITTLE, or maybe a LOT paranoid.  If you do things that are illegal, then you have reason to be paranoid and think what you are thinking.  let me ask you a question.    Do you do things that are illegal?  If so, then maybe you should stop.  Then you won't be so paranoid.  Also, drugs and alcohol lead to paranoid thoughts and behavior, so think about what you consume.

• Reply 142 of 166
    drblank wrote: »
    Also, drugs and alcohol lead to paranoid thoughts and behavior, so think about what you consume.

Huh, where did that come from? Is he an addict/user?
  • Reply 143 of 166
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

The NSA's new favorite device, ever!

Thanks for being willfully ignorant.

• Reply 144 of 166
    Thanks for being willfully ignorant.

His username may have 2 digits, but his IQ must be single digit.
  • Reply 145 of 166
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Huh, where did that come from? Is he an addict/user?

Some people make comments that are from consuming drugs/alcohol as that creates paranoia which is what a lot of people have over fingerprint ID, and other security issues.

• Reply 146 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Meh. The site _is_ called _Apple_insider, after all, so some advocacy is not unexpected.

Calling this article 'advocacy' is pretty generous. Advocacy would be a measured promotion of Apple's own products. This article reads like an expression of DED's personal vendetta against Samsung. Why does it have to get in a dig at Samsung before it even mentions Apple? I feel like articles on this site get progressively less informative and progressively more like red meat for the faithful. It's all a little embarrassing.

• Reply 147 of 166
    flaneur wrote: »
    @ExceptionHandler And dishing out some well-deserved punches to Samsung are one of the reasons I enjoy DED's articles.

Maybe y'all missed the part of recent history where we see Samsung copying, denying copying, spreading lies about Apple products and their buyers, orchestrating evil anti-Apple PR campaigns, and contributing to the devaluation of Apple stock.

Most journalists have to ignore all this stuff out of their pretense of objectivity. Daniel is more in the tradition of the pugnacious muckrakers of the early 20th century. We need such people to correct injustice, which we are seeing plenty of these days coming from Samsung. It's a struggle for good to prevail in the world, and you guys, including Dick Applebaum, are getting all prissy about it.

@Flaneur I see your point, but I think the Macalope does an exceeding better job than DED when it comes to throwing punches. Just my opinion.
    I'm so glad your signature advocates Creationism and Young Earth. Please feel free to insult us with all the arrogant huffing about our "drivel" that you can generate, but leave that signature in place. 

First off, this does not address the issue we were talking about. Rather you set up a straw man attack to discredit my opinion about DED's writing style. Again, I don't disagree with with many of the stances he takes with apple, google, and samsung; just in the manner that he approaches it. This among other things (other stances with other things outside of the scope of tech that DED has commented on) is what deters me from his articles. I also was not necessarily targeting those who are commenting here as well. Comments, by their very nature are going to be polarized and biased, so I expect it there. The drivel I speak of is DEDs writing style and how he addresses the issues at hand. Again, in my opinion the macalope does much better in this area. This has nothing to do with me being a creationist.

I am glad that you at least took the time to read my signature. I am unashamedly a follower of Christ and a creationist. However I do not condem those who have other walks such as evolution, Buddhism, or something else. They are going to follow what they are going to follow. I can't change that and it's in no way my place to judge especially since I used to be an atheist. I am merely trying to spread the word about my experience and belief, I apologize if you felt threatened or attacked by my signature, but I will leave it as it stands because that is my viewpoint of which I am not willing to bend on.

If we could, let's try to keep the discussion focused on apple and related technology instead of arguing differences of belief, because I'm betting you are not willing to budge on you standpoint which is ok. I'm not here to convert others.
  • Reply 148 of 166
    flaneur wrote: »
    @ExceptionHandler And dishing out some well-deserved punches to Samsung are one of the reasons I enjoy DED's articles.

Maybe y'all missed the part of recent history where we see Samsung copying, denying copying, spreading lies about Apple products and their buyers, orchestrating evil anti-Apple PR campaigns, and contributing to the devaluation of Apple stock.

Most journalists have to ignore all this stuff out of their pretense of objectivity. Daniel is more in the tradition of the pugnacious muckrakers of the early 20th century. We need such people to correct injustice, which we are seeing plenty of these days coming from Samsung. It's a struggle for good to prevail in the world, and you guys, including Dick Applebaum, are getting all prissy about it.

@Flaneur I see your point, but I think the Macalope does an exceeding better job than DED when it comes to throwing punches. Just my opinion.
    I'm so glad your signature advocates Creationism and Young Earth. Please feel free to insult us with all the arrogant huffing about our "drivel" that you can generate, but leave that signature in place. 

First off, this does not address the issue we were talking about. Rather you set up a straw man attack to discredit my opinion about DED's writing style. Again, I don't disagree with with many of the stances he takes with apple, google, and samsung; just in the manner that he approaches it. This among other things (other stances with other things outside of the scope of tech that DED has commented on) is what deters me from his articles. I also was not necessarily targeting those who are commenting here as well. Comments, by their very nature are going to be polarized and biased, so I expect it there. The drivel I speak of is DEDs writing style and how he addresses the issues at hand. Again, in my opinion the macalope does much better in this area. This has nothing to do with me being a creationist.

I am glad that you at least took the time to read my signature. I am unashamedly a follower of Christ and a creationist. However I do not condem those who have other walks such as evolution, Buddhism, or something else. They are going to follow what they are going to follow. I can't change that and it's in no way my place to judge especially since I used to be an atheist. I am merely trying to spread the word about my experience and belief, I apologize if you felt threatened or attacked by my signature, but I will leave it as it stands because that is my viewpoint of which I am not willing to bend on.

If we could, let's try to keep the discussion focused on apple and related technology instead of arguing differences of belief, because I'm betting you are not willing to budge on you standpoint which is ok. I'm not here to convert others.

@ExceptionHandler... You are new to AI forums and may not know that the author of this article Daniel Eran Dilger AKA DED and @Corrections are the same person. DED also publishes articles on AI using the pseudonyms of Prince McLean and Mickey Campbell -- whom he often quotes to give the appearance that his biases and agenda have the consensus of "settled science".

I do not understand why AI allows DED to continue this farce.

I am especially offended when DED uses @Corrections to insult a poster with a differing opinion or lifestyle.

Each time, encountered, I report it to AI as offensive and @Corrections is on my block list.
  • Reply 149 of 166
    @ExceptionHandler... You are new to AI forums and may not know that the author of this article Daniel Eran Dilger AKA DED and @Corrections are the same person. DED also publishes articles on AI using the pseudonyms of Prince McLean and Mickey Campbell -- whom he often quotes to give the appearance that his biases and agenda have the consensus of "settled science".

I do not understand why AI allows DED to continue this farce.

I am especially offended when DED uses @Corrections to insult a poster with a differing opinion or lifestyle.

Each time, encountered, I report it to AI as offensive and @Corrections is on my block list.

I see. Makes a bit more sense now. Thank you for the clarification.
  • Reply 150 of 166
    oakhammd wrote: »
    fazzter wrote: »

Bigger screen so that they can see easier? Exactly! It is also nice just to have a little more screen real estate to see things like spreadsheets or read web pages.  I already switched to a Lumia 920 last year and the size is not an issue. (I am not saying it is the perfect phone, but it does have some great features not found on Apples phones) Besides this most of the time I "talk" on the phone it is through bluetooth in the car, so the size doesn't matter at all.

In fact I use the phone as a portable computer much more than a phone. I hardly make any phone calls except when I really need to. Most messaging is texts for me.  However I still wish Apple would get it together and offer what a lot of people want.....a 4.8-5" iPhone. Not an iPhone 5c with a big screen, but the top tier iPhone with a larger screen.  They are making billions, why not make even more?
    mutoneon wrote: »

Have you failed to notice how many people are rocking Galaxy phones these days?  They're everywhere.  If that's a niche market, I'll take it.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">No they are not. And I get around North America and China. A lot. Quite a lot.</p>

connector wrote: »
    Then why not just get an iPad mini with your iPhone. As i type this with my thumb with one hand on my iPhone.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Agree. In fact, and unfortunately that's how my wife sees it.</p>

So far, I have bought every iteration of the iPhone: upgrading and passing down to rest of the family. When I got the iPad mini for my wife, she handed back our dual owner iPad. When I am on my computer programming, I use the iPad/DisplayPad as a fourth screen particularly for making international calls via Skype.

Now, I would like to upgrade to the 5S, but the better half says she doesn't want or need my 5. We have a family plan and share data. Have yet to exceed the monthly allowance. So in effect, each of the older iPhones are 'free'. Can't argue with her (that would never be a winning strategy). She uses her iPhone seldomly. And her iPad all day and night. 

Her solution. Best you get another kid…along with your new wife.

LOL!  We have more iPhones and iPads than people in our home.   I will get the 5S for the camera, TouchID and 64-bit... but, being a widower, I no longer have the SWMBO issue. :D
  • Reply 151 of 166
    ... and may not know that the author of this article Daniel Eran Dilger AKA DED and @Corrections are the same person. DED also publishes articles on AI using the pseudonyms of Prince McLean and Mickey Campbell.

That seems to be true, and is pathetic. See this article and the comment from enzos starts with: "Hi Dan. Didn't catch the by-line before reading but this bit rather gave it away...
    "sounds like a clown court presided over by a tyrannical, fire breathing CEO". Vivid and accurate as usual."

Funny to see all Prince McLeans' titles in one view:

Adobe working to sabotage HTML5 (updated)
    By Prince McLean.

Verizon corrects Droid X ad error touting 720p screen
    By Prince McLean.

Review: Apple's fifth-generation iPod nano (2009)
    By Prince McLean.

Microsoft's latest ad attacks Mac aesthetics, computing power
    By Prince McLean.

Apple reinventing file access, wireless sharing for iPad
    By Prince McLean.

Some MacBooks plagued by discoloration
    By Prince McLean.

Apple announces same day as DVD release iTunes movie sales
    By Prince McLean.

Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-bits, Santa Rosa, and more.
    By Prince McLean.

...and then this post from TheOtherGeoff

Silver ring around 'iPhone 5S' home button may be integral to fingerprint reader...
    "I miss Prince McLean.... at least then DED tried to be objective"
  • Reply 152 of 166
    philboogie wrote: »
    ... and may not know that the author of this article Daniel Eran Dilger AKA DED and @Corrections are the same person. DED also publishes articles on AI using the pseudonyms of Prince McLean and Mickey Campbell.

That seems to be true, and is pathetic. See this article and the comment from enzos starts with: "Hi Dan. Didn't catch the by-line before reading but this bit rather gave it away...
    "sounds like a clown court presided over by a tyrannical, fire breathing CEO". Vivid and accurate as usual."

Funny to see all Prince McLeans' titles in one view:

Adobe working to sabotage HTML5 (updated)
    By Prince McLean.

Verizon corrects Droid X ad error touting 720p screen
    By Prince McLean.

Review: Apple's fifth-generation iPod nano (2009)
    By Prince McLean.

Microsoft's latest ad attacks Mac aesthetics, computing power
    By Prince McLean.

Apple reinventing file access, wireless sharing for iPad
    By Prince McLean.

Some MacBooks plagued by discoloration
    By Prince McLean.

Apple announces same day as DVD release iTunes movie sales
    By Prince McLean.

Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-bits, Santa Rosa, and more.
    By Prince McLean.

...and then this post from TheOtherGeoff

Silver ring around 'iPhone 5S' home button may be integral to fingerprint reader...
    "I miss Prince McLean.... at least then DED tried to be objective"

Ha!

Go to:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159508/hands-on-with-the-new-64-bit-a7-powered-iphone-5s-with-new-m7-camera-features-touch-id/120#post_2396698

and check out Suddenly Newton's sig:

I can understand the other pseudonyms but @Corrections is offensive,

Anyone else caught using more that 1 ID is banned -- why not corrections? Why is @Corrections allowed to ProTroll his articles?

At some point this "hit-harvesiting" defeats the purpose of visiting AI to read and intelligently discuss topics of interest to Apple users...
  • Reply 153 of 166

Great article with lots of interesting information that triggered a good discussion.

I am certainly in line to buy the new 5S

Refreshing to have a media outlet that goes deep and against the current. Instead of criticising colors or materials to say Apple innovation is stalled, here I find relevant and well researched information.

Thank you

• Reply 154 of 166

Can whoever deleted my post in this thread without affording me the courtesy of a brief explanation why please explain which part of the post was deemed 'inappropriate language'?

I didn't use vulgar words or insult anybody's person; I merely commented that the article read like the expression of a personal vendetta. It doesn't say much for this site if you're going to post divisive articles and then delete dissenting responses. Is this forum a place for debate, or is it a place for a group of people with exactly the same outlook on the technology industry to agree with each other ad infinitum?

Moderators shouldn't delete posts because they disagree with the views expressed. It is a flagrant abuse of power. Either point out the rule I have broken or reinstate the post.

• Reply 155 of 166
    euphonious wrote: »
    Can whoever deleted my post in this thread without affording me the courtesy of a brief explanation why please explain which part of the post was deemed 'inappropriate language'?

I didn't use vulgar words or insult anybody's person; I merely commented that the article read like the expression of a personal vendetta. It doesn't say much for this site if you're going to post divisive articles and then delete dissenting responses. Is this forum a place for debate, or is it a place for a group of people with exactly the same outlook on the technology industry to agree with each other ad infinitum?

Moderators shouldn't delete posts because they disagree with the views expressed. It is a flagrant abuse of power. Either point out the rule I have broken or reinstate the post.

I must've missed it. But I think you'd get (better) results by sending this to a mod, as opposed to posting this stuff here. Reads a bit...inappropriate.
  • Reply 156 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

But I think you'd get (better) results by sending this to a mod, as opposed to posting this stuff here. 

You're right, that would be more appropriate. However, I can't find information about who moderates this sub-forum. Also (unlike most other forums I've used), there is no indication of which moderator deleted the post.

All this makes the right of reply quite limited.

• Reply 157 of 166
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

When you say that an article is 'red meat for the faithful', you are not only insulting the author of the article but the people who liked the articles. Whenever you imply religiosity or some kind of cultish hunger for what you suggest is uninformative then you are being disrespectful. If you don't like the article because it's uninformative and consider it an opinion piece then ignore it; if you think an article is flawed then point out flaws in it and back up your objection.

On the subject of article authors being forum members, this is entirely up to the authors if they want to do this, it happens on a number of blogs. They aren't secondary accounts. Mikey Cambell has posted on the forum here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159395/silver-ring-around-iphone-5s-home-button-may-be-integral-to-fingerprint-reader-not-just-for-looks#post_2391415

If they use anonymous IDs or aliases like have been used in articles, again that's up to them and they have every right to defend themselves against attacks from other members. Anything that is said against an author is treated just as it would be said towards another member and they are allowed to respond in kind.
  • Reply 158 of 166

Thanks for responding, Marvin.

I wouldn't exactly call the article uninformative. DED knows his subject area pretty well, and I often learn things from his work.

My issue is more with his tone. Describing critics of Apple as 'parade rainmakers' offering 'shill contempt' simply isn't very professional, in my opinion. This sort of angry commentary certainly implies dogma, if not religiosity. It is itself disrespectful and insulting of those who hold differing opinions on Apple products.

My point is that if the site permits emotionally-invested articles which are laced with disdain and disrespect for critics, then there really can't be much complaint when such critics respond in similar fashion through the means open to them.

• Reply 159 of 166
    Marvin wrote: »
    ^ post

That actually makes sense. And seems fair; good points, thanks.
  • Reply 160 of 166
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    My issue is more with his tone. Describing critics of Apple as 'parade rainmakers' offering 'shill contempt' simply isn't very professional, in my opinion. This sort of angry commentary certainly implies dogma, if not religiosity. It is itself disrespectful and insulting of those who hold differing opinions on Apple products.

My point is that if the site permits emotionally-invested articles which are laced with disdain and disrespect for critics, then there really can't be much complaint when such critics respond in similar fashion through the means open to them.

If this was a neutral blog like Gizmodo or Engadget then I'd agree that articles would be better presented in a neutral way but this is a blog about Apple and weighted in favor of people who are Apple fans. If people read the language directed at Apple critics and don't like it, then it's usually (but not always) the case that they are Windows and/or Android users and are not really the target audience for the site because their interest in Apple is typically in seeing Apple fail. This site isn't here to invite critics of Apple nor is it intended to be a neutral site about Apple. Windows/Android users often come here thinking that they should be able to say whatever they like. There are degrees of freedom in any discussion and criticism isn't stifled here much but fans of any particular thing get tired of hearing the same kind of attacks over and over. In this example about 64-bit, we have the same issue that crops up every time where commenters elsewhere say things like "Apple didn't invent 64-bit" (someone actually wrote that) and people look for obscure examples of someone else getting to market first like:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/hands-on-with-the-worlds-fastest-smartphone-the-huawei-ascend-d-quad

Feb 26, 2012 - "Even more impressive is that the K3V2 is a 64-bit processor, rather than the standard 32-bit offered in other phones. Huawei said it developed the processor in-house with a partner company, but was coy about naming which company it was."

This was ARMv7 so not likely fully 64-bit and 32-bit software but they use the example all the same because it fits their conclusion that Apple doesn't invent anything or push the industry forward. It's the same tired old way of diminishing Apple's success. Apple is driving a large change of a flagship product to have 64-bit apps, OS and full 64-bit hardware and this hasn't been done in the market and Apple can do it in one update. When Apple critics publish articles or comments trying to play down the move to 64-bit then reporters here have every right to counter them. They can use a professional tone but that's usually boring and doesn't get people emotional about it. Should critics be emotional in response? They can be, but on blogs and forums intended for Apple critics. Same way that on Android forums that run "anything but Apple" competitions:

http://www.androidcentral.com/it-s-our-fifth-annual-anything-apple-giveaway

they aren't setting articles up as an invitation for criticism from fans of competing products. It's not that this kind of thing means the entire site is closed off from rational debate and in need of people to correct that, some people just like having places to share appreciation of a particular thing with like-minded people. I can see that some Apple fans will also have an issue with the tone of the article as it reflects on the community here to an extent but there needs to be forceful articles put out into the media to strongly counter the ones that attack Apple at every turn and I think Daniel's articles fit the bill.