Apple rolls out 'Holiday Cheer' playlist with 8 free Christmas songs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think it's insulting to people that don't celebrate a specific religion.

What's wrong with not wanting to be part of a religion that's based on hypocrisy?  That's what they're based on.  If God created a religion, then why are there so many different ones with differences between each one.  God didn't write the Bible, even though the religious leaders want you to believe otherwise.

If Tim decided to give away Halloween songs for free, while there would be a few "religious" people who would object, many like me would have no problem at all with that.  And I would tell those objectors to mellow out especially if they started to take cheap shots against atheists or some other group of people.

As for your questions, you should seek out your answers.  Or not.

I just think your reaction to this is over the top.  But I could be wrong.

• Reply 22 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    drblank wrote: »
    Religious churches are filled with heathens.  They accept ALL sinners.  That's what a lot of Christian churches have outside their building.  There's a couple of them in my area that say "We accept ALL sinners"

Pretty disgusting, especially when you hear countless stories of priests sexually abusing children, and other crimes. Heck, there's one church where the freaking priest is a convicted murderer.   It's ridiculous.

Because all sins are equal, so while you may think yourself better than a convicted murderer, you are not and neither is anyone else. Wouldn't you much rather hear about how to get rich from someone that was once poor or from someone that was born rich?
  • Reply 23 of 129
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Sheesh, take it easy.  If it's people's faith you are taking a cheap shot at, just remember that almost everyone in this world operates on faith in one form or another including strange things such as driving on one side of the road hoping that the guy on the other side of the painted line isn't going to crash head on with you.

This is free music.  It's okay if some or many don't want it.  I wouldn't take insult if Tim decided to pass out free vegan brownies at every store since I'm sure many would probably like it regardless of my taste.

Now if you're saying this is a bad business decision, then stick to facts, don't start up with your tirade against religion, faith and cults.

I am sticking to facts.  Religions are described as Religious Cults.  Religious Cults use brainwashing tactics. What do you think Dogma is?  It's a form of brainwashing.   FACT.  You think they hand out things like Wine (a psycho-active drug) because it's healthy?  It's used to put one's brain into a state where it's easily manipulated and it is the basis for an addiction.

• Reply 24 of 129
    Bore off
  • Reply 25 of 129
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I don't see it. Is this another example of Apple thinking the world ends at the US border?

You're most likely holding it wrong.

OR your overly paternalistic foreign government doesn't like companies giving away free stuff without their endlessly butting in. LIke for Canada they'd probably have to offer SIXTEEN tracks: English versions and French.. gods know how they'd deal with the Celtic Woman's track were it in Irish….

• Reply 26 of 129
    Quote:

I think they should have allowed for 8 free songs of the user's choice instead of pushing Christmas songs on us. Some of us don't celebrate Christmas or are religious.

I'm so sick of seeing people complain about things like this - - - it's free!!!!  Take it or leave it.  No one cares to hear about how something doesn't fit their specific needs.  Geez!  Bunch of whiners!

• Reply 27 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

If Tim decided to give away Halloween songs for free, while there would be a few "religious" people who would object, many like me would have no problem at all with that.  And I would tell those objectors to mellow out especially if they started to take cheap shots against atheists or some other group of people.

As for your questions, you should seek out your answers.  Or not.

I just think your reaction to this is over the top.  But I could be wrong.

I was just thinking that giving away 8 free songs of the person's choice would be better than just Christmas songs, and then a bunch of Christians get their panties in a bunch over it.    Most of the holidays like Halloween, Easter, etc. are Pagen holidays anyways masqueraded as Christian holidays

So you think ganging up on people is right?  I just think they should just give people 8 song credits and that's what would be a BETTER alternative and I see NOTHING wrong with that.  

What if they didn't give out Christmas songs, but instead only gave out Jewish songs, or Hindu songs, or just Muslim songs?  Or how about only gave out Gangster Rap songs?

Christians would get bent out of shape if they only gave out free songs from another religion they didn't belong to and didn't give out Christian related songs.

• Reply 28 of 129
    I think people have Diversity backwards.

If Apple released:

8 songs for Christmas, or
    8 songs for Hannukah, or
    8 songs for a Muslim Holiday, or
    8 songs for New Years, or
    8 songs for Summer, or
    8 songs to celebrate Hungarian Beef Stew,

my reaction would all be the same, "That's Nice".

If a town with lots of Christians puts up a Christian Kresh, "That's Nice".
    If a town with lots of Jews puts up a Star of David and a Mennorah, "That's Nice."

I don't understand all the rage when people not in a demographic freak out about expressions from those that are, esp when that demographic is the clear majority.

If Apple was in England, and released Patriotic songs for the Queen's birthday, would Americans freak out that English culture was being rammed down our throats? No.

People who recognize Diversity would say, "That's Nice."

Apple is a US-based company in a country that's generally-Christian that generally recognizes Christmas, even if 25% of US citizens have no religious affliation.
  • Reply 29 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    drblank wrote: »
    Christians would get bent out of shape if they only gave out free songs from another religion they didn't belong to and didn't give out Christian related songs.

No true Christian would have that sense of entitlement.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    Quote:

And how does getting 8 free Christmas (Christian) songs going to give someone cheer that doesn't celebrate Christian holidays?  To me, that's insulting and offensive.

Wow....take some prozac or zoloft or some other happy pill....the vast majority of the world celebrates the Christmas holiday. Even those that aren't Christian. In fact I barely think it qualifies as a religious holiday at all it has become so commercialized. Besides, many of the songs listed aren't religious at all...If you don't want the songs then don't download them. That is your choice. Just like it's Apple's choice to give these particular songs away for free.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because all sins are equal, so while you may think yourself better than a convicted murderer, you are not and neither is anyone else. Wouldn't you much rather hear about how to get rich from someone that was once poor or from someone that was born rich?

A convicted murderer or someone that violates one's civil rights is the same as a parking ticket? 

Yeah, I'm MUCH better than a convicted murderer.  I don't go around violating people's civil rights?  Why?  Do you?

What does how to get rich have anything to do with anything of this discussion?  I would rather have someone give advice on good business sense and how NOT to violate someone's civil rights in the first place than going around forgiving people for doing something that violates someone else's civil rights that haven't been forgiven by the victim.  If the victim hasn't forgiven the perp, then why should I, or God for that matter?

Sorry, but if someone is convicted of murder and sentenced to jail, they should NOT be the head of a religious church if they want my respect.

You sound like you agree with Steve Martin's character in the movie Leap of Faith.

• Reply 32 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Quote:

And how does getting 8 free Christmas (Christian) songs going to give someone cheer that doesn't celebrate Christian holidays?  To me, that's insulting and offensive.

Wow....take some prozac or zoloft or some other happy pill....the vast majority of the world celebrates the Christmas holiday. Even those that aren't Christian. In fact I barely think it qualifies as a religious holiday at all it has become so commercialized. Besides, many of the songs listed aren't religious at all...If you don't want the songs then don't download them. That is your choice. Just like it's Apple's choice to give these particular songs away for free.

why don't you?  I don't take drugs.  Do you?

• Reply 33 of 129
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    those 20 minutes worth of music is the perfect amount of time; that's usually how long it takes our holiday family gatherings to degenerate to someone using the turkey for protection. now we'll know just when to start the mayhem. thanks, apple!
  • Reply 34 of 129
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

I was just thinking that giving away 8 free songs of the person's choice would be better than just Christmas songs, and then a bunch of Christians get their panties in a bunch over it.    Most of the holidays like Halloween, Easter, etc. are Pagen holidays anyways masqueraded as Christian holidays

So you think ganging up on people is right?  I just think they should just give people 8 song credits and that's what would be a BETTER alternative and I see NOTHING wrong with that.  

What if they didn't give out Christmas songs, but instead only gave out Jewish songs, or Hindu songs, or just Muslim songs?  Or how about only gave out Gangster Rap songs?

Christmas is about as pagan as it gets. Locked right onto the date of the Winter Solstice ain't no accident (granted that's more Mithraic than outright pagan)… nor are all those "evergreens".

As to what a company decides to give away free? Completely up to them. Now if they'd auto-downloaded and started to play on an uninterruptible endless loop? Largely different story.

• Reply 35 of 129
    Quote:

I am sticking to facts.  Religions are described as Religious Cults.  Religious Cults use brainwashing tactics. What do you think Dogma is?  It's a form of brainwashing.   FACT.  You think they hand out things like Wine (a psycho-active drug) because it's healthy?  It's used to put one's brain into a state where it's easily manipulated and it is the basis for an addiction.

LMAO...Thank you for continuing to post on here and giving me my comic relief for the day. I never knew the point of communion in church (where many churches use grape juice and not wine BTW) was to get me liquored up to be more reseptive to brain washing. Thanks for the valuable insight. Next time I will wear my tin foil hat to protect me...
  • Reply 36 of 129
    Quote:

Quote:

I know it's been commercialized. It's been commercialized to the point where most people don't even know what else to do, so they feel brainwashed as a result.

Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's high quality, positive, right, or good for society.  

Ganging up on someone that doesn't believe in YOUR religion is a form of bullying and it isn't right.  

I  am not planning on downloading them.  All I did was find another way that would make EVERYONE happy that has an iTunes account rather than just a subset.  What's wrong with that?   Because it doesn't promote YOUR religion?  To me, it just sounds like you and others like yourself are major hypocrites.

• Reply 37 of 129
    Quote:

No I don't, but then again, I don't get completely bent out of shape because a company is giving away something I don't want for free....
  • Reply 38 of 129
    Quote:

Quote:

No I don't, but then again, I don't get completely bent out of shape because a company is giving away something I don't want for free....

All lI did was to recommend giving away 8 free songs of the person's choice rather than only Christian songs.  What's wrong with that?

If they gave out 8 free songs, would you download only Christian related songs or the songs they are handing out, or would you decide to get other songs?

• Reply 39 of 129
    Quote:

All lI did was to recommend giving away 8 free songs of the person's choice rather than only Christian songs.  What's wrong with that?

If they gave out 8 free songs, would you download only Christian related songs or the songs they are handing out, or would you decide to get other songs?

I wouild dowload different songs. I don't care anything about any of the songs they are giving away free. But I don't find it insulting in the least. Neither would I find it insulting if they gave away Muslim songs around an Islam holiday, or Jewish songs around one of their holidays.

I just think if you find this offensive and insulting, then your skin is a little too thin and you are WAY too easily offended and insulted.

To imply that they are giving out the wrong free stuff is just ridiculous. They have an app of the week every week too. If they gave me the choice of dowloading any app for free each week, I would most likely chose a different app than the app of the week; however, I have never been insulted because I did not get to chose which app I got for free.
  • Reply 40 of 129
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I don't see it. Is this another example of Apple thinking the world ends at the US border?

Well, I’ve heard of Airstrip One being called the 51st state, but I didn’t know that we’d actually annexed it and held music venues there for the last few years.