Apple begins taking pre-orders for redesigned, American-made Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Good laugh thanks. You didn't include my favorite one from some guy I forget that used to run a Canadian phone company, you know about 'No physical keyboard!" ... what was that company's name now ... ummm ... Blueberry was it? :D
  • Reply 22 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    My understanding is that the U.S. store doesn't charge taxes whereas the Australian store charges the G.S.T. at 10%. Makes a difference if I am correct. :)

Depending on where you live, it may charge tax. Here in NYC, it's almost 9%.

I don't know if Australia is like Great Briton, but they charge an additional 10% for anything not using a certain amount of British goods. Then there's the 20% VAT.
  • Reply 23 of 141
    melgross wrote: »
    Blame your government for that. All electronics is much more expensive there.

Got to love the USA, we even allow 100% tax write off of equipment like this for business in the same year.
  • Reply 24 of 141
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That is some rig you have, I bet it's cool for playing games image

Yep I also have an SSD with Windows which is used for gaming. That's all Windows is good for of course :)

• Reply 25 of 141
    Depending on where you live, it may charge tax. Here in NYC, it's almost 9%.

I don't know if Australia is like Great Briton, but they charge an additional 10% for anything not using a certain amount of British goods. Then there's the 20% VAT.

That horrendous VAT level I knew, but I didn't know that last bit about ' additional 10% for anything not using a certain amount of British goods' (I assume you mean parts?). If so, thank heavens I left! That is disgusting and totally against free trade. Are you really sure the UK do that?
  • Reply 26 of 141
    ascii wrote: »
    Yep I also have an SSD with Windows which is used for gaming. That's all Windows is good for of course :)

Cool :) Wineskin seems to work well for most PC games on a Mac, what's your view on that as opposed to native. Obviously there is a speed hit but those I have tried seem to work well.
  • Reply 27 of 141
    Doubtful.

I don't know. For many workstation uses this makes more sense than a large model does. With distributed storage being the way animation, video, audio and other studios work these days, theres no point in accommodating so much storage locally.

As far as card upgrades go. My experience is that machines are replaced rather than upgraded, in most cases.

There is a lot of inertia in this industry. Someone has to be first. If this proves successful, we could see other makers following suit.
  • Reply 28 of 141
    Placed my order at 5 a.m. Mac Pro and the 27" TB display. Now the wait .... :D

So you really rushed it! Eh, I'm waiting for the next one. Being retired takes the rush out of things like this, for me. iPads—yes!
  • Reply 29 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

But the best the Mac Pro has is D700s which is the equivalent (I believe) of dual HD 7970 consumer cards, which is what my "slow" compute box has. 

The D700 is comparable to the FirePro W9000, the D500 to the W8000 and the D300 to the W5000.

The GPUs used in the new Mac Pro are workstation GPUs, costing up to 4,100 USD and some change (the W9000 costs that much for one card, and the Mac Pro has two of them, if configured correctly).

Strange, that the GPU upgrade costs are so low compared to the rest of it, as those FirePro cost quite much (W5000 - 420 USD, W8000 - 1,400 USD, W9000 - 4,100 USD+) and even ECC RAM should not be that expensive, Apple again takes 150 to 350 USD markup for 32 and 64 GB.

And a 12-core E5-2697 CPU can be had fore 750 USD less than what Apple wants. But hey, Dell and HP take similar and even higher prices for their workstations.

• Reply 30 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcbigears View Post

T

hat would account for $300. The rest? Shipping?

Higher minimum wage and cost of labor. That 2 year warranty and returns thing that you've been complaining of. High energy costs including a carbon tax. A separate radio and safety regulatory scheme (C-tick). The weird electrical plug (which is not the same as China). All this combined with the fact that Australia is a relatively small market.

Its shocking how people refuse to believe the fact that there's no free lunch.

• Reply 31 of 141
    That horrendous VAT level I knew, but I didn't know that last bit about ' additional 10% for anything not using a certain amount of British goods' (I assume you mean parts?). If so, thank heavens I left! That is disgusting and totally against free trade. Are you really sure the UK do that?

Yes, by goods I meant parts. But it could be software, whatever.

This is what I was told by University of the Arts, London, when my daughter was accepted, and we were going to buy her a new Macbook Pro. They said that all electronics was more expensive there. When I asked why, that was most of the reason they gave.

Actually, going into an electronics store was a bewildering experience. Prices were so much higher than here, it was hard to believe. An example was an AtHome clock with an iPhone slot. Here, it's $99. There, it was £99. Exactly the same model, except for the line cord plug. A Kindle reader that here was going for $139, was advertised all over the busses and underground as £139.

This is more than a little bit more expensive, and is well over the 20% VAT add-on.
  • Reply 32 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

No they didn't. The only hesitation at the time was the high initial price, but that was negated a few months later by price drops, and completely a year later with full AT&T subsidies. After that it was full speed ahead.

The price was too high. It had no apps, considering every virtually every phone at that time had apps (Palm, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, and even Java and BREW apps on dumbphones). Nobody had HTML5 mobile websites. It was an EDGE phone when 3G phones were starting to come out. The reception sucked. Nobody knew how to type on a touchscreen. There were glaring omissions in the OS (delete email anybody?) and basically only worked well with Google services.

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

With distributed storage being the way animation, video, audio and other studios work these days, theres no point in accommodating so much storage locally.

Servers went through the same transition already. We moved from those honking 6U Compaq servers with a full array of hot-plug PCI slots to 1U units with 2 hard drives, and blades made with laptop parts.

• Reply 33 of 141
    So you really rushed it! Eh, I'm waiting for the next one. Being retired takes the rush out of things like this, for me. iPads—yes!

I had to have it billed in 2013 as a tax write off and I feared the shipping dates would slip into 2014, hence the early start for me.
  • Reply 34 of 141
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

There is generally no such thing as free trade, and I don't see anything wrong with an import tax designed to encourage UK manufacturing or in the very least provide funding to keep displaced workers off the streets.
  • Reply 35 of 141
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is what I was told by University of the Arts, London, when my daughter was accepted, and we were going to buy her a new Macbook Pro. They said that all electronics was more expensive there. When I asked why, that was most of the reason they gave.

It doesn't sound like they told you the truth or, at least, the whole truth. Such an import duty wouldn't be legal under EU law if it was specifically British and not European goods that needed to be included in the product. A quick Google doesn't throw up anything either.

Anyway, my wallet is now £8000 lighter. :)

• Reply 36 of 141

Actually, going into an electronics store was a bewildering experience. Prices were so much higher than here, it was hard to believe. An example was an AtHome clock with an iPhone slot. Here, it's $99. There, it was £99. Exactly the same model, except for the line cord plug. A Kindle reader that here was going for $139, was advertised all over the busses and underground as £139.

This is more than a little bit more expensive, and is well over the 20% VAT add-on.

It's protectionism under another name. Terrible. I left nearly 25 years ago, even the UK climate has gone to hell and a hand basket since then. I am one happy camper to now be American (and living in Florida's magnificent west coast too) :)

I hope you shipped your daughter the Mac from here!
  • Reply 37 of 141
    tbell wrote: »
    There is generally no such thing as free trade, and I don't see anything wrong with an import tax designed to encourage UK manufacturing or in the very least provide funding to keep displaced workers off the streets.

Well IMHO protectionism can bite you in the ass.
  • Reply 38 of 141
    richl wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like they told you the truth or, at least, the whole truth. Such an import duty wouldn't be legal under EU law if it was specifically British and not European goods that needed to be included in the product. A quick Google doesn't throw up anything either.

Note that GB doesn't follow all the financial and tax rules of the EU. I don't know what department it's under, or what it's called, so I can't help you find it.

Perhaps they don't add this import tax to EU goods. I really don't know. And there was no reason to tell me something not true. 27% of the Universitie's students are foreigners, and so have the same problem.
  • Reply 39 of 141
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Cool image Wineskin seems to work well for most PC games on a Mac, what's your view on that as opposed to native. Obviously there is a speed hit but those I have tried seem to work well.

I haven't tried that before but yeah I guess it would depend on the game, if max speed is important or not. Anyway congrats on the new Mac Pro, I do think it's the future of Workstations and would be a great machine to own.

• Reply 40 of 141
    richl wrote: »

Be it European or UK that's is a difference that really doesn't matter to an American not expecting it when buying there to be honest. But I suspect you are correct, if it is true I am certain it would be EU not UK. I send my best mate links to things we share an interests in such as cameras and lenses as well as Apple stuff and he always tells me he weeps for a while after seeing my costs compared to his. I vaguely recall when i was there my XJS had some additional tax on top of VAT as some one somewhere decided it was an unnecessary purchase it should be taxed even more.

Don't forget that 8K is a 100% deductible item the year of purchase if you are in business under new rules for 2012 and 2013 (assuming you are in US, I better check your details ...) Oops I'm an idiot I saw £ and it didn't register. Sorry 'bout that.