Apple begins taking pre-orders for redesigned, American-made Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It's protectionism under another name. Terrible. I left nearly 25 years ago, even the UK climate has gone to hell and a hand basket since then. I am one happy camper to now be American (and living in Florida's magnificent west coast too) :)

I hope you shipped your daughter the Mac from here!

We bought it here, and she carried it over.
  • Reply 42 of 141
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    melgross wrote: »
    We bought it here, and she carried it over.

Good for you. A perfect example of how protectionism bites those that practice it in the ass. :)
  • Reply 43 of 141
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

No they didn't.

Yeah. They did.

We can do this all day. Don’t act like you’re 5.

• Reply 44 of 141
  • Reply 45 of 141
    Yeah. They did.

We can do this all day. Don’t act like you’re 5.

Hey I did that till I was 7!
  • Reply 46 of 141

I am curious why it cost $3500 to upgrade to 12 core for the base config and $3000 for the same thing on the top end machine?

thanks

scott

• Reply 47 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Probably import duties, shipping, insurance.

Here in Cannuckistan the base model is $3099, so they're adding $100. I'm not even sure that does cover FX. I don't see why they would choose to gouge one country and not another, so I suspect the Oz price is inflated for real reasons.

Interestingly, my original base-model MacPro1,1 cost me about $2700 (or $2800, I can't find the invoice). Plugging that into the Canadian inflation calculator gets me $3089, so basically the price has not changed since 2006.

Since buying the MP1,1 I've added two (or three?) GPU's, two HDs and some RAM. However, this process plateaued around 2009, and I've done nothing to the machine since. This leads me to believe that the new base model would be everything I would ever need.

I am concerned about gaming performance on those GPUs though, and since they are custom boards, there won't be any replacements on the market. I was considering buying  MP2010 model because it runs newer GPUs pretty much out of the box, so this is cause for some thinking.

• Reply 48 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

There is generally no such thing as free trade, and I don't see anything wrong with an import tax designed to encourage UK manufacturing or in the very least provide funding to keep displaced workers off the streets.

Well IMHO protectionism can bite you in the ass.

Ask American factory workers how they feel about their jobs being shipped overseas. I'm thinking their asses feel pretty chewed these days.

I used to buy into the corporate oligarchy's "free trade" arguments but not after the devastation of American manufacturing. Why do you think the US is still in a depression (sanitized by the corporate oligarchy's news media as a 'recession')?

So much for "Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI." - they are interrelated on myriad levels. 

Maybe Jeff Bezos can run for President and 'extract value' from the US Government, before sailing off into the sunset on Steve Jobs' yacht...

• Reply 49 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm curious as to why this Mac Pro is such a challenge for Apple to build. Is it a particular component that's holding it all up or is there something else going on?

Also, I can't recreate the February ship date. They all say January when I BTO.

cash907 wrote: »
    No they didn't. The only hesitation at the time was the high initial price, but that was negated a few months later by price drops, and completely a year later with full AT&T subsidies. After that it was full speed ahead.

It was expensive (still is), it was large (now it's too small), it didn't have the bestest HW to list on a spec sheet (still doesn't), didn't have a physical keyboard (still doesn't), didn't have cut/copy/paste, etc.
  • Reply 50 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

The D700 is comparable to the FirePro W9000, the D500 to the W8000 and the D300 to the W5000.

What models of consumer GPUs do these correspond to? I know the D700/W9000 is basically a 7970, but what about the other two?

I have a 4870 in my machine and it has served my gaming needs for some time now. But the latest games, especially steam, could use a boost. But given that the 4870 has lasted over three years, I wonder if a D300 might be all I would need for the next five?

• Reply 51 of 141
    jcbigears wrote: »
    T
    hat would account for $300. The rest? Shipping?
    T
    hat would account for $300. The rest? Shipping?

Here's a tip: why not ask them directly? Because bib-dribbling about it in a comment forum isn't going to solve much.
  • Reply 52 of 141
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The media reporting on this new Mac Pro is ridiculous. Yesterday CNBC ran a story comparing it to a newly announced Chrome OS AIO from LG. As if those machines are in any way comparable at all.

And then some tech sites are reporting that a top of the line Mac Pro will set you back $14K. Of course they don't mention in the headline that they're including a 4K display in that price.

Then you have the tech sites that use a top of the line config price as click bait but in the body of their story say the price isn't out of line and will pay for it self in no time.

And finally you have all the clueless non professionals who would never need a computer like this for anything outraged by the price even though the price isn't outrageous at all and comparable Windows based workstations aren't that much cheaper.

Just curious...when Dell and HP release new workstations does the tech media run click bait stories claiming outrage over the price? Doubtful.
  • Reply 53 of 141
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Meanwhile in Australia Apple and price gouging, charging us over a thousand dollars more than in the US. At the current exchange rate, that's about a $900 premium over the US. Time for the ACCC to interview Apple again

I am sure you added sales tax to the US price and also factored in the increased cost of government regulation in Australia (like the extra year of warranty you require). Oh wait, you thought that was free...
  • Reply 54 of 141
    vaporland wrote: »
    Ask American factory workers how they feel about their jobs being shipped overseas. I'm thinking their asses feel pretty chewed these days.

I used to buy into the corporate oligarchy's "free trade" arguments but not after the devastation of American manufacturing. Why do you think the US is still in a depression (sanitized by the corporate oligarchy's news media as a 'recession')?

So much for "Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI." - they are interrelated on myriad levels. 

Maybe Jeff Bezos can run for President and 'extract value' from the US Government, before sailing off into the sunset on Steve Jobs' yacht...

Sorry if you felt I was being political, I wasn't intending to be. I don't see generalized global economics in the same light as hate filled political diatribes prevalent on most US blogs these days. I am a centrist, atheist, liberal, free market, background check supporting, scientist background entreprenure and don't fit any polital system known to man. :D
  • Reply 55 of 141
    e1618978 wrote: »
    Probably import duties, shipping, insurance.
    Here in Cannuckistan the base model is $3099, so they're adding $100. I'm not even sure that does cover FX. I don't see why they would choose to gouge one country and not another, so I suspect the Oz price is inflated for real reasons.

Interestingly, my original base-model MacPro1,1 cost me about $2700 (or $2800, I can't find the invoice). Plugging that into the Canadian inflation calculator gets me $3089, so basically the price has not changed since 2006.

Since buying the MP1,1 I've added two (or three?) GPU's, two HDs and some RAM. However, this process plateaued around 2009, and I've done nothing to the machine since. This leads me to believe that the new base model would be everything I would ever need.

I am concerned about gaming performance on those GPUs though, and since they are custom boards, there won't be any replacements on the market. I was considering buying  MP2010 model because it runs newer GPUs pretty much out of the box, so this is cause for some thinking.

To clarify one thing. There are real reasons for all the price differences. There is no reason for Apple to want to gouge any particular country. If they were going to gouge a country, it would not be Australia... If Australians are tired of paying higher prices for everything, they should talk to their legislature. In addition to the things I mentioned in my previous post on this topic there is one other point to remember. Apple runs stores and has employees in Australia. Apple charges on price for a device (online and in-store). It is very expensive to employ people in Australia, they all pay the price.

Our friends down under need to stop complaining about Apple and start looking for a new government.
  • Reply 56 of 141
    climber wrote: »
    I am curious why it cost $3500 to upgrade to 12 core for the base config and $3000 for the same thing on the top end machine?

thanks
    scott

There is a higher cost processor in the high end machine so the delta is smaller.
  • Reply 57 of 141
    Sorry if you felt I was being political, I wasn't intending to be. I don't see generalized global economics in the same light as hate filled political diatribes prevalent on most US blogs these days. I am a centrist, atheist, liberal, free market, background check supporting, scientist background entreprenure and don't fit any polital system known to man. :D

That looks close enough to my own profile.
  • Reply 58 of 141
    Very disappointed about the Feb. delivery. Having promised a new machine for 2013, in 2012, and then telling us about it in June, but you can't have one until December...now I find out it will ship some time in February. I could have bought a top of the line iMac a year ago and been a lot more productive than soldiering on with my 2008 Pro.

Apple's former habit of saying nothing about new products until they're launched would far preferable to this BS.
  • Reply 59 of 141
  • Reply 60 of 141
    ignomini wrote: »
    Very disappointed about the Feb. delivery. Having promised a new machine for 2013, in 2012, and then telling us about it in June, but you can't have one until December...now I find out it will ship some time in February. I could have bought a top of the line iMac a year ago and been a lot more productive than soldiering on with my 2008 Pro.

Apple's former habit of saying nothing about new products until they're launched would far preferable to this BS.

You could have done that. So why are you complaining? It was your choice, not Apple's. If you waited from all the way back in 2008, a couple more months shouldn't bother you at all.