Comments

• Reply 81 of 141

x

• Reply 82 of 141
    x

• Reply 83 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bfulda wrote: »
    So I am not complaining "that Apple reduces prices later on".  I am stating a fact.  Apple has dropped the price on the iPhone when it originally came out, that caused a big stir and they dropped the price on the MacBok Airs shortly after they were introduced and they dropped the price (eventually) on the 30" monitor they EOL'd awhile ago.  They don't do it often but they do it.  I did a quick search and pulled nothing up, but I do remember these occurrences.   Maybe someone can "check" or "hold"  this for me.

The iPhone price dropped but that's not some sinister plan by Apple to screw the customer, that's Apple not gauging the market properly. It's really that simple!

The MBA did not drop in shortly after it was introduced. In fact, the first update to it introduced a new, higher-priced option. It wasn't until the next update that prices dropped but that's because of changes in components. Remember how Apple had to get Intel to dust off their shelves plans for the SFF (Small Form Factor) CULV (Core Ultra-Low Voltage) processors? You don't think that costs money?

Seriously? The 30' ACD finally dropping in price long after the cost of the HW has dropped is exactly the type of thing I referred to. They let that linger at the higher price when you could get a quality, factor-calibrated monitor for much lower with the same panel and equivalent HW, save for the case. This is what I mean by people complained about that. At least if you had mean that I could understand your complaint even though it's still foolish because you still have the right not to buy it.

But none of this goes with the point you're trying to make because the first example would be Apple making less per unit and the others because go component prices dropping significantly, not some magic where they can drop a price with no change to the product costs and have the profit margin stay the same.
  • Reply 84 of 141
    You quite obviously don’t know. There is no upcharge.

The BYOPC crowd like to sum the cost of the parts and claim that because Apple charges more than the sum of the parts, it must be "upcharge."
  • Reply 85 of 141

x

• Reply 86 of 141
    So I am sensing a very adversarial tone from you.  Is that intentional?

I disagree with what I think is a flawed comment and I commented to that point so, yeah, I am your adversary by definition.
    The question you asked me was to give you examples of price drops.  I did that.  It did happen.  This isn't tied to anything other than supporting my comment and you asked for examples. […] I am also not even thinking that the iPhone price drop is a "sinister plan by Apple to screw the customer".  Where are you pulling that out of?

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I could have sworn you said Apple was price gouging. That has a very specific meaning in law.

What you said that initialed my queries was, "Initial release is priced high, then later at some point, they drop the price and are still able to maintain a high margin." You're examples were talking about different SKUs, a very overdue drop of a stagnated product, and a bad initial price point by Apple. None of those jive with how I read your preceding comments. To me your comments in no way were referring to the examples you presented.
    I just wish it was cheaper. And yes, I do think they could make it cheaper.
    That's not the comment you started off with. I not only want it cheaper, I want Apple to pay me to use one. Is that a valid desire? Of course. Is it reasonable? Of course not.

Of course they could make it cheaper. They could make it as cheap as the Mac mini but they choose not to relabel the Mac mini as Mac Pro so that's what you get. But you're not asking them to just label something else that uses lesser components, you want this machine but for less money than what they are asking without considering the cost that goes into it. You said you didn't source any of the components so I bet even if this came in $1999 you would have complained it's too much simply because you would be certain Apple would be making a gouging profit that is higher than you'd like.
  • Reply 87 of 141
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    melgross wrote: »
    I'm having a severe problem with Appleinsider, and have been for a few days on my iPad Air. Safari keeps crashing. Sometimes it happens when I'm doing nothing, after 30 seconds, or so. Other times when I touch something, or when writing a post. Just totally random. Sometimes typing is so slow that the characters appear more than a second after typing. Back to 1975!

Not happening anywhere else.

Am I the only one?

Nope, same here. Although at last Safari on the Mac has stopped crashing when on AI.
  • Reply 88 of 141
    :\
    Hey! We're guys, let's not get too mushy.

Oh, ok .... :\
  • Reply 89 of 141
    Originally Posted by bfulda View Post

That Apple isn’t charging. Hence no upcharge.

I can say, without any data to back my opinon up, that I believe they are charging more than their current profit margin of 20.05%

I can say, without any data to back my facts up, that you’re completely and utterly wrong, and, as previously stated, don’t understand the first thing about what’s being done here.

just making a statement.

An incorrect statement based on no knowledge of the subject whatsoever.

• Reply 90 of 141

x

• Reply 91 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    3) "Have you compared the costs of the just the CPUs and GPUs between the new and old Mac Pros?" No I haven't, have you?  I am sure they are expensive but are they expensive enough to justify the total cost of the machine?  That is the whole point of my inital comments and I don't think they are.  I think the system could be overall cheaper and that the company could still meet their profit margin.  I also believe that if it was cheaper then they would sell more faster and reach the economy of scale quicker, just in time to do a refresh no doubt.

[/quote]

If it's ok, I'd like to address this one issue. Previously, Mac Pro's came with one consumer graphics card. Not the highest model, but whatever was right below. So, talking several hundred bucks worth. Now, it comes with two pro cards.

Here's an analysis of the cards by Architosh. This is an early analysis, and card prices have risen, but it does give a very good idea of what's going on here.

http://architosh.com/2013/10/the-mac-pro-so-whats-a-d300-d500-and-d700-anyway-we-have-answers/

We're actually getting a bargain.
  • Reply 92 of 141
    Nope, same here. Although at last Safari on the Mac has stopped crashing when on AI.

I wonder what's going on here? Typical JavaScript problems?
  • Reply 93 of 141
    Oh, ok .... :\

Have to be politically correct, you know. We're guys, no feelings, right?
  • Reply 94 of 141
    What are you, 12? Big e-bully is going to verbally taunt me. OOOHHHHHH.  Your not an adversary, you just get your feelings hurt easy, like a girl.

Your wording is very emotional and your replies here insinuating I'm a 12yo girl are further proof of that. I, as well as others, pointed out the flaws in your logic and you didn't take it well. This isn't Endgaget so hyperbolic, sensationalist comments aren't going to be received well.

Yes, I am your adversary just as you are mine as is everything else that has an opponent regardless of what it may be. I am your teacher and you are mine, but you still need to make the effort to actually learn. I have many friends on this forum whom I appreciate for being excellent adversaries. My sig should tell you that much.
    I did say that, I retract it.  I should have taken the time to word what I was trying to convey differently.

Just now you retract it? Yes, you need to word things better in order to prevent your emotional writing to back you into your corners that make you lash out at others instead of trying to form a rational reply.

I know you're actually capable of making better responses even if you haven't done so in this thread. I can see evidence of it your aspects of your writing but you need to work on it. If you don't like being called out for making foolish comments then stop making them because this forum likes well researched and reasoned responses. You write to make a point so why not make that point be worth something by something effort into it?
  • Reply 95 of 141
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I disagree with what I think is a flawed comment and I commented to that point so, yeah, I am your adversary by definition.
    Perhaps I'm mistaken but I could have sworn you said Apple was price gouging. That has a very specific meaning in law.

What you said that initialed my queries was, "Initial release is priced high, then later at some point, they drop the price and are still able to maintain a high margin." You're examples were talking about different SKUs, a very overdue drop of a stagnated product, and a bad initial price point by Apple. None of those jive with how I read your preceding comments. To me your comments in no way were referring to the examples you presented.
    That's not the comment you started off with. I not only want it cheaper, I want Apple to pay me to use one. Is that a valid desire? Of course. Is it reasonable? Of course not.

Of course they could make it cheaper. They could make it as cheap as the Mac mini but they choose not to relabel the Mac mini as Mac Pro so that's what you get. But you're not asking them to just label something else that uses lesser components, you want this machine but for less money than what they are asking without considering the cost that goes into it. You said you didn't source any of the components so I bet even if this came in $1999 you would have complained it's too much simply because you would be certain Apple would be making a gouging profit that is higher than you'd like.

That Apple isn’t charging. Hence no upcharge.

I can say, without any data to back my facts up, that you’re completely and utterly wrong, and, as previously stated, don’t understand the first thing about what’s being done here.

An incorrect statement based on no knowledge of the subject whatsoever.

What are you, 12? Big e-bully is going to verbally taunt me. OOOHHHHHH.  Your not an adversary, you just get your feelings hurt easy, like a girl.

I did say that, I retract it.  I should have taken the time to word what I was trying to convey differently.

You need to lay off the red bull.  You have me confused with someone else.  Take the time to actually look at the name on the post.  It will save you some embarrassment.

I quoted my inital comments for you.  The first words were, "I just wish it was cheaper" so what? the rest of your quote was inferred by you.

No, they couldn't make it as cheap as a mac mini.
    I do want this machine for less money, it was a 'wish', You got more going on with yourself than what is going on here.  You need a vacation or you have the xmas blues, your wound too tight, breath a little bit..
    And again NO, if the new MP cost $1999 I would not be wishing for one, It would be ordered.

You are taking my comments way too seriously.  And your being an ass.  This is EOD with you.

Ok, it's enough already! Bfulda, one more girlie or ass mention, and you're out of here. No more warnings!

People need to be able to argue without falling back on insults like that. If a strong disagreement is too much for someone, then drop out of the argument! I don't want to have to kick someone out.
  • Reply 96 of 141

x

• Reply 97 of 141

x

• Reply 98 of 141
    x

• Reply 99 of 141
    Have to be politically correct, you know. We're guys, no feelings, right?

Gotchya.
  • Reply 100 of 141
    I wonder what's going on here? Typical JavaScript problems?

I went for a few weeks where I could actually produce a crash on AI at will on the Mac. All I had to do was edit a post and bang Safari crashed totally. Then a week or so later it still crashed but (and I am on an SSD) after it crashed then retuned to where I'd been in a blink of an eye. There have been so many developer updates I quite honestly am not sure if AI fixed something or Apple did but given only AI crashed you have to wonder! I rarely use the iPad for AI as I only have a mark 2 version and it's a dog on AI. Again I don't notice this so much on other sites.