Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot

Comments

• Reply 81 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I guess those 2 people living in a cave must be posting millions of comments each, every day, on every tech blog in existence. 

Not sure how bloggers on any subject became relevant. Based on how much press they get you would think you can get your Ph.D in blogging at Yale. 

• Reply 82 of 205
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">First, there is no SG5 out yet as far as I know...  so, o</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">ops? You kind of jumped the gun on the "comments advert" there...  </span>
    I guess you missed his sig: "**post after SGS5 is released." :)
  • Reply 83 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

The more successful Apple is, the more lather-y and vehement the haters get.

Seriously, do you not read comment sections? For example, this is a sampling of comments from a UK site ("Which?") that had the temerity to recently test battery life of the iPad and several Android tabs (which the iPad won handily):

I don't put much stock in what people say, you are right when you are at the top you take a lot of hits. My comment was based on the success and the yearly sales of Apple products. When it come time to put out money clearly the vast majority are buying Apple. When it comes down to  it Samsung makes good hardware but that doesn't matter much if it's running Android. Apple has the lock on the ecosystem, until that changes the talk is really nothing more than static. 

• Reply 84 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I guess you missed his sig: "**post after SGS5 is released." image

ah haha! Yes, I certainly did. :D

• Reply 85 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

First, there is no SG5 out yet as far as I know...  so, oops? You kind of jumped the gun on the "comments advert" there...  

And now I ask:

Why can't YOU check your voicemail list without hanging up? (And also, please describe how that's done on your "SG5".)

Why can't YOU look something up during a FaceTime call without disconnecting? (These sound more like 'operator error' to me...)

I browsed a web page on my iPad Mini and loved it (a lot more than browsing on my phone, true). Oh, I see! You want a tablet experience. Well then buy a TABLET.

A 3rd-party Stylus can be had for the iPad if you need it. No point bundling one just for gimmicks/show if it isn't a necessary part of operations. I bought one for "pencil style sketching". I rarely use it though. 

And what else...?

I meant to say SG4, my bad.

I never claimed to have owned a Galaxy device, but I did use one and I liked the large screen, it made the browsing experience a lot better. I never claimed that I liked the Android OS either.

I was able to check my listing of messages while being on a call on my pre-iPhone flip-phone.

I have an iPad Retina and love it, I use it all the time.

I actually do not think all iPads should have a stylus built in them and never claimed to believe to. But I do believe an iPad version with a stylus would be great addition for designers, I use it a stylus on my Mac (Wacom) and I can see how that will translate well to an iPad.

The current iPad styluses are terrible, I even got the Intuos Creative and returned it since it does not detect for unintentional input. The only good thing about the Intuos is it has two programmable buttons, but even that becomes a problem since they activate the BT every time one of them is clicked, so you cannot use the stylus in your iPad holster it will drain its AAAA battery, you must always have it in the case it comes in, which isn't convenient. The Pressure sensitivity is very gimmicky, so no, the iPad is not a good stylus device and I'm not saying that it should be, but it'll be cool for if Apple made a version of an iPad for designers.

• Reply 86 of 205
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I do find the iPhone's narrow portrait screen useless for browsing the web, yes I'd love a larger screen. I browsed the internet on a SG5 and loved it, sorry but that's the truth.

Turn

it

sideways

PS what is an SG5?

Are you referring to the Samsung Galaxy S5, which Samsung will be announcing in Barcelona on the 24th?

Show us some (non-blurry cam) pics.

• Reply 87 of 205
    So multitasking is advantage shown, the others are generally irrelevant to most people, advertising screen ratio, I don't understand,

Why advertise you behind the competitor, people see pencil then IPad, and see there device last?
  • Reply 88 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

Why is it that I can be on FaceTime and switch to my email or any other app and return to my FaceTime call? I don't think Your're correct about this. But maybe I am missing something.

I think he means seeing the person you are speaking to noticing the distracted way you keep looking away to check your emails on the other half of the screen.

It seems pretty rude and pointless, if you aren't interested in engaging with the person you are video calling, why not do a voice call.

• Reply 89 of 205
    Quote:

Before I had an iPhone I used to do it on my flip-phone. There had been several occasions where I wanted to tell someone that someone else called at a certain time and his number is such and such

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I still cannot believe that I cannot check my list of voicemails on my iPhone without hanging up first.

Bullshit!

Your flip phone didn't have visual voicemail as invented by Apple, so you never had a "list of voicemails".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

No listen to a voicemail, but see a listing during a phone call of who left a voicemail and when.

Visual voicemail, invented by Apple, an iPhone exclusive dependent on carrier support.

Your shitty flip phone used the old way, dial into your voicemail, use a series of keypad prompts to navigate and listen to your voicemails held by the carrier on their network equipment.

You are a flat out liar.

Unbelievably another bullshitter pops out of the woodwork.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

My old flip phones could do that and every Android phone I've had can do that.

• Reply 90 of 205
    I would call that ad stupid but that would be an insult. To stupid ads
  • Reply 91 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Really?  So FaceTime can be used as replacement for phone call? 

Sure can, FaceTime audio, since iOS 7.

• Reply 92 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Now if only you could do something useful with a Galaxy Tab Pro. As a musician, there are ONLY apps for iOS. Hardly anything is available on Android because it does not have realtime audio processing or MIDI.

You also can't use a 64bit drawing App.

• Reply 93 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Nope. Not even close.

The "I'm a mac/I'm a pc" campaign wasn't about snarky, petty and stupid "direct comparisons". It was putting a relationship on display, and highlighting various strengths and weaknesses through the acting out of that relationship.  

I'm Steve... and I'm Bill.  (Bill has a cold and sneezes), Steve: What's wrong Bill?   Bill: Be careful there's a nasty virus going around.  Steve: Oh don't worry, I'm pretty much not affected by those...  Bill (incredulous): Really? I get them all the time!   Steve: Nope, not a problem here...  (Bill, getting sicker, passes out (locks up), and assistance is called in...).

It was cute, funny, and (painfully) right on the money.

The beauty of that campaign was, Apple never directly put down or disparaged Microsoft, never did any hard side-by-side product comparisons, and the series was entirely based on longstanding, well-known and already popularized realities of the two platforms...

That was brilliant. This Samsung series is cynical, crude, bordering on offensive at times, and panders to the lesser angels of our nature. 

I spent years in advertising. This kind of campaign isn't effective beyond the low-hanging fruit. In fact, it lessens the company producing them.

I'm not sure you could really "lessen" Samsung, but there it is.

It also highlights to me just how clearly they missed the entire point of Apple's "pencil" ad.

It wasn't all about the physical dimensions. It was a deep and reflective "poem" about the value and ubiquitous nature of a great tool. An Immersive, poetic and philosophical ad. 

Samsung's? Trite, petty, and cynical. 

These values are clearly reflected in their products. I can tell you which I choose.....!

So because the comparison was not explicitly stated it's ok? Get over yourself.  The point of both ads is to say my product is better than yours because of x and y. You're saying Apple's commercial is cute, funny and great because it implied the deficiencies of the other platform, but Samsung's commercial is cynical, crude and offensive because they stated them directly. 

And to say that the mac commercials weren't disparaging is a reach.  You had a recognizable celebrity as a mac that the popular guy the audience can relate to compared to a nerd, socially awkward type for your competitor.  Seems pretty disparaging.

I'm not saying the Samsung commercial was great or anything of that matter. I was responding to a post where someone was criticizing Samsung by saying that comparing your product to the #1 competitor means you get the #2 spot and pointing out how Apple did the same thing. 

• Reply 94 of 205
    tzeshan wrote: »

Really?  So FaceTime can be used as replacement for phone call? 

Yes you can make voice only calls in FaceTime.
  • Reply 95 of 205
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mistercow wrote: »
    So because the comparison was not explicitly stated it's ok? Get over yourself.  The point of both ads is to say my product is better than yours because of x and y. You're saying Apple's commercial is cute, funny and great because it implied the deficiencies of the other platform, but Samsung's commercial is cynical, crude and offensive because they stated them directly. 

And to say that the mac commercials weren't disparaging is a reach.  You had a recognizable celebrity as a mac that the popular guy the audience can relate to compared to a nerd, socially awkward type for your competitor.  Seems pretty disparaging.

I'm not saying the Samsung commercial was great or anything of that matter. I was responding to a post where someone was criticizing Samsung by saying that comparing your product to the #1 competitor means you get the #2 spot and pointing out how Apple did the same thing. 

The messages are the same at the foundation (my product is better) but how they delivered them are very, very different. It's an opinion to use the word crude, cynical, cute or funny, but it's not hard to say it's an opinion that Apple's Get a Mac ads were indirect whilst Samsung's ads are direct.

As for the actors chosen to represent the Mac and PC, it seems that the PC guy was universe rally less geeky and more likable than the Mac. This is probably because the Mac represented the "straight man" in the double act.

Again, the "PC guy" wasn't representing Samsung, or Dell, or Windows, he was representing the long-standing notion of what the WinPC stood for and in no way attacked a specific HW vendor.

If you want an example of a poor ad from Apple check out their Lemmings ad. This one fails because it attacked the user as being a lemming but the Get A Mac ads cleverly makes the WinPC as an idea out to be the problem, but not any specific vendor… at least not until Windows Vista was down and Apple kicked it as if they were Ender Wiggin.
  • Reply 96 of 205
    I HATE HATE HATE  Samsung.  

I wish that they would just die already!
  • Reply 97 of 205
    Quote:

" I browsed the internet on a SG5 and loved it, sorry but that's the truth."

The truth eh? ... Pretty impressive since the SG5 has not actually been revealed yet, let alone available for sale.

Oh I get it... you're one of Samsung's employees!

• Reply 98 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

(Apple doesn't see the iPad as the 'next computer' for a 10X programmer... They see it for the 65 year old who 'wants to see their granddaughter's FaceSpace').  

That is why the Fandroids hate Apple so much.  And that is why we love Apple so much.  It's funny that way.

• Reply 99 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

The begging was funny have to admit but then the galaxy pro comes in and what a peace of shit it looks like!!! The only reason that was made was because they thought the iPad Pro was gonna come. And then the stylus again? Again? Really? That plastic crap that you always loose? I mean come on make your own advert instead of parodying. For f*ck sakes I mean they couldn't tell the defernce between innovation and shit cause there trying to copy innovation with shit!!! And it runs on Android, you know the OS that used by every other competerot BUT Apple. The way samsung put a octacore processor with quad core graphics and it STILL lags!!! Amazing now that's the only innovation they've come across how to make a powerful phone feel like crap!!! And the design.... samsung here over there in every single ad. Nothing special still lags, the screen bigger (again) and it still runs on android. The most valnreable os on the marked, thanks but he'll not Ive had a s2 and a galaxy tab and wow!!! When I switched to Apple !!! Amazing!!! And I mean the adverts wow!!! Crappy there such Apple wannabes. Samsung's adverts says everything about themselves. A GIANT JOKE.

I hate SameScam SO MUCH!  All they ever do is copy copy copy.  They should just be Xerox!  I bet they make copying machines too!  LOL!

• Reply 100 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The messages are the same at the foundation (my product is better) but how they delivered them are very, very different. It's an opinion to use the word crude, cynical, cute or funny, but it's not hard to say it's an opinion that Apple's Get a Mac ads were indirect whilst Samsung's ads are direct.

As for the actors chosen to represent the Mac and PC, it seems that the PC guy was universe rally less geeky and more likable than the Mac. This is probably because the Mac represented the "straight man" in the double act.

Again, the "PC guy" wasn't representing Samsung, or Dell, or Windows, he was representing the long-standing notion of what the WinPC stood for and in no way attacked a specific HW vendor.

If you want an example of a poor ad from Apple check out their Lemmings ad. This one fails because it attacked the user as being a lemming but the Get A Mac ads cleverly makes the WinPC as an idea out to be the problem, but not any specific vendor… at least not until Windows Vista was down and Apple kicked it as if they were Ender Wiggin.

Understandable.  I'm not arguing whether the commercials from Apple and Samsung were good or poor ads.  My comments were in reponse to those criticizing Samsung for comparing themselves to their competitor (Apple in this case) and that by doing so it makes them innately inferior.  I was just pointing out that Apple had used the same concept.  

The PC guy didn't directly represent a single entity, but it did represent Apple's competition.  During the time, a PC was essentially equated to Windows and the two were (and sometimes still) used interchangeably. So the ads were making direct comparisons to Windows and by extension Microsoft.  Now yes, the delivery of the message was done differently, but bottom line is the ad's purpose was to say my product is better than my competitors - which was also the intent of this commercial.