Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot

Comments

• Reply 41 of 205
    I've never really understood this. I may be a simpleton but I don't think "it doesn't 'multitask'" isn't a compelling distraction.

As in this example, can I really read an email (or compose/respond) while watching a movie on the same screen. Well, you'll miss part of the movie image and not really be paying attention to both at the same time. If I was watching with someone I don't think they'd appreciate it either. Please don't call it "multi-tasking".
  • Reply 42 of 205
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Hmm... the multitasking thing seems useful.  At times, i wish i don't have to hang up on facetime o check on my email or search on google for something at that moment.  maybe i'll check it out at Fry's this weekend.  Hope the next gen ipad can have multitasking.

• Reply 43 of 205
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Really?  So FaceTime can be used as replacement for phone call? 

FaceTime to FaceTime calls actually can replace phone calls, especially now with FaceTime Audio calls. The obvious caveat is that it only works with people that have FaceTime. My family was on Verizon and we would make FaceTime Audio calls because they ended up being clearer than normal phone calls. Now that we are on T-Mobile, we use it less because of HD-Voice calls are really clear and actually a bit jarring at first.

• Reply 44 of 205
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cynic View Post

This is actually not really true.

It is correct, that for a very long time iOS apps have been designed with a specific resolution in mind. This was very bad practise, it was lazy on developers' part but it worked and made a lot of things easier, especially around iOS 5 and 6 when almost no new app came along using standard interface components but hand drawn stuff. Apple only fuelled this bad practise by preserving resolution and aspect ratio (just think of those black bars when the iPhone 5 came out). However, I do agree with Apple preserving compatibility like that.

Either way, it was possible to code resolution independently ever since. It just means a bit of extra work. Even hand crafted artwork can be integrated in a scaling manner without any issues whatsoever. And while the Apple ecosystem always had a big plus over all those varying screen sizes, simply because you could really lay out your app pixel perfect, especially if you knew most of the content being displayed. Thus, on iOS it was rare to have half a screen filled and the rest simply empty because of screen size; and we saw that a lot on Android.

Nevertheless, it is and always was possible to code without catering for a specific resolution. Apple's interface components always worked that way anyway. Now, when taking a look at what changed in iOS 7, there are clearly many more signs of incoming resolution/screen size changes, because there's so much happening in terms of making it easier and to encourage developers not to hard code any values anymore.

In fact, most apps should just work finde filling only half the screen. This is not that much different over catering for a background call or other system wide behaviour which reduces the app's screen estate temporarily. The thing is just that there are a load of crappy apps out there, which never considered these things.

Many iPhone apps refuse to display in landscape orientation on iPad.  How do you fit them side by side with other apps? 

• Reply 45 of 205
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Many iPhone apps refuse to display in landscape orientation on iPad.  How do you fit them side by side with other apps? 

iPhone apps running in compatibility mode on an iPad (i.e. non iPad optimised apps) are an entirely different matter. However, once again, this is due to developers not adding support for those things. Obviously apps designed for iPhone portrait only use, won't look good on an iPad.

But here's the thing: There is no reason whatsoever to keep on designing apps like that, and Apple is actually encouraging flexible designs more and more.

Regarding how to integrate those static old things with multitasking? Hmm, I don't know, how about we just don't multitask with apps that don't support it? Similarly to how we had black bars on iPhone 5 and how original iPad apps were all just iPhone ports. With time, developers will support this feature.

• Reply 46 of 205
    jony0jony0 Posts: 380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I still cannot believe that I cannot check my list of voicemails on my iPhone without hanging up first.

Just tap on the ? to add a call, then tap on Recent.

And for the record, that's not really a multitasking issue, it's a feature within the same app.

Admittedly they could've included the Recent button with the others but they ran out of room, or they could've left the bottom menu visible to make it a bit more obvious but it would not be as elegant, just to retain a rarely used feature, still available one tap away.

• Reply 47 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Hmm... the multitasking thing seems useful.  At times, i wish i don't have to hang up on facetime o check on my email or search on google for something at that moment.  maybe i'll check it out at Fry's this weekend.  Hope the next gen ipad can have multitasking.

The thing is...you don't have to hang up on FaceTime to check your email or search on Google. With that being said, if your cell phone provider is Verizon or Sprint, you can't use FaceTime and the internet, but that is a limitation of them being on CDMA and has nothing to do with iOS. On T-Mobile or AT&T, you can do that. If you're on Wi-Fi, then it obviously isn't an issue at all.

• Reply 48 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cynic View Post

iPhone apps running in compatibility mode on an iPad (i.e. non iPad optimised apps) are an entirely different matter. However, once again, this is due to developers not adding support for those things. Obviously apps designed for iPhone portrait only use, won't look good on an iPad.

But here's the thing: There is no reason whatsoever to keep on designing apps like that, and Apple is actually encouraging flexible designs more and more.

Regarding how to integrate those static old things with multitasking? Hmm, I don't know, how about we just don't multitask with apps that don't support it? Similarly to how we had black bars on iPhone 5 and how original iPad apps were all just iPhone ports. With time, developers will support this feature.

Absolutely. I also think it's not beyond Apple to force developers onto the right path. Apple and good practicing developers will lead the way and if a developer doesn't do the right things, their user base will let them know.

-edited for typo-

• Reply 49 of 205
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote: Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I still cannot believe that I cannot check my list of voicemails on my iPhone without hanging up first.

Originally Posted by Jony0 View Post

Just tap on the ? to add a call, then tap on Recent.

And for the record, that's not really a multitasking issue, it's a feature within the same app.

Admittedly they could've included the Recent button with the others but they ran out of room, or they could've left the bottom menu visible to make it a bit more obvious but it would not be as elegant, just to retain a rarely used feature, still available one tap away.

Are you sure you addressed what they actually said? They mentioned actual voicemails not the recents.

• Reply 50 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Rule #1 in the battle to win the #2 spot in the market: Compare yourself to the #1 product.

"Hi, I'm a Mac."

"And I'm a PC."

• Reply 51 of 205
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,110member

Samsung usually starts amping-up the rhetoric when they realize their products are gathering a bit too much dust on the shelves.

Samsung has an area in Costco full of Galaxy products.  Regardless of what day or night I go there, and even during the Christmas season, that area is always void of people and fully stocked - as in, no one buys their products.  That's the reality.

Looking forward to Samsung getting the next beat-down in court.  

• Reply 52 of 205
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mistercow wrote: »
    "Hi, I'm a Mac."
    "And I'm a PC."

That is actually different for nearly all of their "Get a Mac" ads since Apple didn't mention any of their HW brand competitors or Windows. They used the generic "PC" as a reference to everything boring and poorly made, as in, not a Mac. It wasn't until Vista was a market flop that they jumped to directly attack the Windows brand.
  • Reply 53 of 205

Samsung can mock Apple all they like (even while copying Apple's commercials as pathetically as they copy their products.) But in the end, Apple still dominates in the areas that matter: profitability and customer loyalty.

As Samsung's corporate spies commented while observing long lines for the iPhone 5S launch:

"Other companies release new phones, but there's not as much passion and heat [from buyers]. "It's only Apple. Why? We're curious."

Gee, I don't know. Because you suck and you have no class? 

• Reply 54 of 205
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Now if only you could do something useful with a Galaxy Tab Pro. As a musician, there are ONLY apps for iOS. Hardly anything is available on Android because it does not have realtime audio processing or MIDI.

• Reply 55 of 205
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That is actually different for nearly all of their "Get a Mac" ads since Apple didn't mention any of their HW brand competitors or Windows. They used the generic "PC" as a reference to everything boring and poorly made, as in, not a Mac. It wasn't until Vista was a market flop that they jumped to directly attack the Windows brand.

That plus, Mac is the #1 product... it's just everyone in the world was too dumb or cheap to know that.

• Reply 56 of 205
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    512ke wrote: »

Why take the pencil at the end? In case your galaxy gear runs out of battery and you need a pencil?

They know their market is sociopathic, in varying degrees. And juvenile.

It's the same trick used in early ads for the Chevy Avalanche where the yuppy owner with the 3-day beard stubble steals a dollar from the homeless guy wanting change.

Make your prospective buyer think he'll be less inadequate if he buys your product.
  • Reply 57 of 205
    Quote:

This is violating the original design of iOS.  Both iPad Air and iPad mini with retina display has a resolution of 2048-by-1536.  iPhone has a resolution of 1136-by-640.  Every app is written with these resolutions in mind.  Can you do the math how an app will look if it is fit into half of the screen? 

I would imagine it would work with apps that are designed to take advantage of split screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think what you're looking for is called a "computer." There are many to choose from.

A campooter?!

• Reply 58 of 205
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member

The Tab Pro has a display that's about 25% smaller than the iPad Air, yet it's only 0.2mm (2.7%) thinner? And what a waste for those extra pixels that humans can't normally see. It all just adds up to shorter battery life.

Sorry, Samesong, iPad Air remains best in class, considering hardware alone.

• Reply 59 of 205
    Haha! Samsung Wanna be Apple so bad they can taste it..
    Never gonna happen.
    By the way they must be cutting back on Advertising budget - That commercial quality was lame!.
  • Reply 60 of 205
    The begging was funny have to admit but then the galaxy pro comes in and what a peace of shit it looks like!!! The only reason that was made was because they thought the iPad Pro was gonna come. And then the stylus again? Again? Really? That plastic crap that you always loose? I mean come on make your own advert instead of parodying. For f*ck sakes I mean they couldn't tell the defernce between innovation and shit cause there trying to copy innovation with shit!!! And it runs on Android, you know the OS that used by every other competerot BUT Apple. The way samsung put a octacore processor with quad core graphics and it STILL lags!!! Amazing now that's the only innovation they've come across how to make a powerful phone feel like crap!!! And the design.... samsung here over there in every single ad. Nothing special still lags, the screen bigger (again) and it still runs on android. The most valnreable os on the marked, thanks but he'll not Ive had a s2 and a galaxy tab and wow!!! When I switched to Apple !!! Amazing!!! And I mean the adverts wow!!! Crappy there such Apple wannabes. Samsung's adverts says everything about themselves. A GIANT JOKE.