Jury awards Apple $119.6M, Samsung $158K in damages after finding both guilty of patent infringement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 307
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    $119.6M? Seriously? This is a win for Samsung.
  • Reply 22 of 307
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    snova wrote: »
    <div style="border-bottom-color:rgb(221,221,221);border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-width:1px;padding-bottom:1em;padding-top:1em;">-</div>
    That's from 2012!
  • Reply 23 of 307
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Sounds like a mixed bag. Doesn't matter though is the verdict will certainly be appealed.

What it probably does is put pressure on both sides to finally reach a settlement. The patents this time around were worth a lot less, at least according to the jury, and as time goes on Samsung is working around the patents more and more. Microsoft took a "license" approach rather than a "sue" approach, and perhaps we'll see Apple trend toward that. They've done that with HTC. My guess is that with Samsung it was personal given that they are a significant supplier and Apple felt double-crossed.

• Reply 24 of 307
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    bilbo63 wrote: »

DED's forehead is throbbing. Right. Now.
  • Reply 25 of 307
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rogifan wrote: »
    From the San Jose Mercury news:

At first blush, Samsung fared much better in this trial. We'll find out if dancing in streets of Cupertino
    by hmintz 7:08 PM

They beat me to this comment:
    "They've spent more on lawyers in this case, most likely, than this damages award. But both sides will spin."

Oh, and Apple infringes on Samsung camera IP to the tune of $153K
  • Reply 26 of 307
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Apple was right. Samsung is in the habit of copying Apple's technology. That's all that matters.
  • Reply 27 of 307
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Not really. Sure, it's a lot better than last year's result, but the patents have value, which is what their counterclaim for $6.2 million was attempting to refute. More likely this puts pressure on both sides to reach a cross-licensing agreement of some sort. Maybe $2-4/phone net to Apple (less than what Apple gets from HTC, but over a larger volume).

• Reply 28 of 307
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Jury finds Apple infringed Samsung camera folder patent...$158,400 in damages! Samsung wanted $6 million. LOL!

• Reply 29 of 307
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    They beat me to this comment:
    "They've spent more on lawyers in this case, most likely, than this damages award. But both sides will spin."
    Hehe

Jury finds Apple infringes Samsung camera folder patent. Ouch. $158,400 in damages. Not so ouch. Day of iPods at Target.
    by hmintz 7:16 PM
  • Reply 30 of 307
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

It's a loss, but a win in aggregate. Lesson: if you're a big corporation crime pays.

• Reply 31 of 307
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's a loss, but a win in aggregate. Lesson: if you're a big corporation crime pays.

That said, Samsung have twice now been found to be infringing. I'm guessing that they need to remove the infringing tech (or pay licensing fees) moving forward. Or am I wrong?

• Reply 32 of 307
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    For the little it's worth Apple was also found to be an infringer.
  • Reply 33 of 307
    rich gregoryrich gregory Posts: 121member

The amount is disturbing, but what do I know... 

Somehow Apple's stock will be punished on Monday.

Oh, and you can't spell appeal without Apple.

• Reply 34 of 307
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Darn it! I was hoping that Samsung would really get what it deserved and the jury decides to really punish them with triple of what Apple asked for... $6.6B would have really make Samsung cry like the little baby that they are.

In my classroom, I give cheaters a very hard time. I hate cheaters and copiers and Samsung is no different.
  • Reply 35 of 307
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

ok Apple.. fire up the next lawsuit for the 2013 devices.  guess this will be an annual event.

• Reply 36 of 307

I had a feeling this jury couldn't see the forest for the trees and these results confirm that suspicion.

Next, I'd really love to see Apple get extremely aggressive about their acquisitions and start buying up critical suppliers to Samsung to cut the beast off where they live and work.

• Reply 37 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

lol. 1000x less in magnitude.   Bet Samsung paid more than $158K for the patents. lol..  nice one.

• Reply 38 of 307
    Quote:

What's weird is that Samsung succeeded in devaluing its own patents, but not in devaluing Apple's (at least not to the extent that they wanted to).

Overall, it's a much better day for Samsung than the last trial, but the larger message is that both sides have a stronger reason to reach a permanent settlement. They have a duopoly on smartphones right now and it's shaping up that way on the tablet side, as well. Neither is going to knock the other out of the game with IP.

• Reply 39 of 307

The moral of the story? American patents don't protect American companies from jack****...or Apple needs to spend a heck of a lot more to corner the market and fence Samsung and Google in.

We should know shortly if due to willful infringement damages are doubled or trebled...or maybe no additional amount.

• Reply 40 of 307
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Quote:

What's weird is that Samsung succeeded in devaluing its own patents, but not in devaluing Apple's (at least not to the extent that they wanted to).

Overall, it's a much better day for Samsung than the last trial, but the larger message is that both sides have a stronger reason to reach a permanent settlement. They have a duopoly on smartphones right now and it's shaping up that way on the tablet side, as well. Neither is going to knock the other out of the game with IP.

there has a definite change in tone in the media of late with Samsung. Ever since the Smart Gear and S5, its been all bad.  Same with Amazon and Google.   Something has changed.  The media has done a 180.