Jury awards Apple $119.6M, Samsung $158K in damages after finding both guilty of patent infringement

Comments

• Reply 41 of 307
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    I am very piss off at Samsung CEO. I feel like to smack his face with his shit galaxy phone.
  • Reply 42 of 307
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    For the little it's worth Apple was also found to be an infringer.

I know you will cherish it forever and ever. ;)
  • Reply 43 of 307
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm sure Samsung will spin it as a win but do a Google News search and the majority of headline read: Jury Finds Samsung Infringed...that's not a PR win,

I can't wait for it all to be over so we can stop obsessing on stupid Samsung.
  • Reply 44 of 307
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For the little it's worth Apple was also found to be an infringer.

I know you will cherish it forever and ever. image

does not even cover their attorney fees, let alone what they paid for the patents they bought.

• Reply 45 of 307
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member

Vacate the verdict.  Award $2billion to Apple.

What an insult.

• Reply 46 of 307
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Vacate the verdict.  Award $2billion to Apple.

What an insult.

Absolutely. Even Judge Koh was ready to start kicking Samsung lawyer butt and taking names at one point.

• Reply 47 of 307
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I know you will cherish it forever and ever. ;)

Hardly. IMO software patents shouldn't even exist for the most part. Innovation certainly wouldn't stop since all the players would still want as much of my money as they can get. Modern computers were invented, OS's were created from scratch, display tech and silicon chips all created without protection from a single software patent.
  • Reply 48 of 307
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    So Apple grossly overestimated the price. Consider this a huge win for Samsung.
  • Reply 49 of 307
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    They are breaking out the champagne at Samsung. Steal IP, make billions with it, then claim it's worthless. That apparently is a successful way to do business.
  • Reply 50 of 307
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Is this the end if it. Can they all cross licence and get on with it now? Great if true.
  • Reply 51 of 307
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I know you will cherish it forever and ever. image

Hardly. IMO software patents shouldn't even exist for the most part. Innovation certainly wouldn't stop since all the players would still want as much of my money as they can get. Modern computers were invented, OS's were created from scratch, display tech and silicon chips all created without protection from a single software patent.

you are welcome petition a change to the US Constitution.  

• Reply 52 of 307
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

The data detectors patent is the last patent I would have expected to be deemed infringed. Linkify just provides the application developer with a search and replace function. The developer decides when to search, what regular expressions to search for, and how to modify the matches. Claiming that Linkify infringes that patent amounts to saying that an application developer cannot search for particular strings in his own app without infringing.

• Reply 53 of 307
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The moral of the story? American patents don't protect American companies from jack****...or Apple needs to spend a heck of a lot more to corner the market and fence Samsung and Google in.

We should know shortly if due to willful infringement damages are doubled or trebled...or maybe no additional amount.

Exactly. This was an easy call. American's see this as a victimless crime. It was always going to be hard for a jury to see Apple as a victim, or in some way being badly hurt by Samsung. 

• Reply 54 of 307
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Most rational people thought Apple did too. Glad the Jury is a good representation of the public.

• Reply 55 of 307
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Is this the end if it. Can they all cross licence and get on with it now? Great if true.

One can only hope. It's all getting a bit old.

• Reply 56 of 307
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

How can it possibly be a win for Samsung if they were found to be infringing? Only in a parallel evil universe is this a win for Samsung. Their products are crap, they can't innovate anything without waiting for Apple to do it first. Apple should plant a manchurian candidate inside of Samsung and detonate the company from within. The world would be a better place without Samshit.

• Reply 57 of 307
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    ?
    You're on trial and could face the death penalty. You get 20 years instead. You're still getting raped by a guy named Bruce. It ain't a win.

The real question is why am I even responding to you?
  • Reply 58 of 307
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm sure Samsung will spin it as a win but do a Google News search and the majority of headline read: Jury Finds Samsung Infringed...that's not a PR win,

I can't wait for it all to be over so we can stop obsessing on stupid Samsung.

Well if you read the verdict closely, you will see that Jury found Apple infringed as well.. Does that make Apple a thieving company as well? confused.

• Reply 59 of 307
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    snova wrote: »
    you are welcome petition a change to the US Constitution.  

The Constitution didn't put software patents in place. That came from the courts who now appear to be going back in the other direction to rein them in.
  • Reply 60 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

The data detectors patent would have been the last patent I would have expected to be deemed infringed. Since Linkify is essentially just a search and replace function, claiming that Linkify infringes that patent amounts to saying that an application developer cannot search for particular strings in his own app without infringing.

You're right, but you can't blame the poor jury (who are non technical) to get this right. Not to worry though, through appeals & prior art invalidity Apple won't get a dime and will eventually (5 years too late) realise the best tactic is to be aggressive in the market place, not the court room. Bring on the Apple phablet style phones to compete with Samsung, which should have been here two years ago. Silly strategy Apple, bad for your shareholders.