Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved

Comments

• Reply 701 of 757
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Got it. So the Indians got colonised!

I love how colonized is substituted for conquered. I guess it's all in the POV.
  • Reply 702 of 757
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Then you're a hypocrite for taking the garb of a religious festival in vain. 

Actually I think most of the garb is Pagan like the decorated tree, the yule log, feasts, parties, wine, etc. Perhaps the gift giving has some biblical roots, and although I've been known to gift some gold, not too much incense or myrrh. Mostly toy trucks, dolls and stuffed animals.

Celebrating Mass is a minor difference. :rolleyes:

I thought I was responding to your accusation that I stole your garb and after explaining exactly the events that we participate in you bring up Christmas Mass. How the bloody hell did I steal your mass? We don't have any religious observances whatsoever.

• Reply 703 of 757
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

The winner writes the history books.
  • Reply 704 of 757
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Crowley, calling a person an idiot is an ad hominem… and it may also get you in their signature.
  • Reply 705 of 757
    jungmark wrote: »
    The winner writes the history books.

Perhaps, but science has allowed us to examine history to correct inaccuracies. For instance, Herodotus, "The Father of History", painted a very dark picture of the Persians that wasn't accurate. We also live in a complex world with extensive communication so the history is written from not just the victor, but also the loser, as well as those that didn't even participate.
  • Reply 706 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Where do I choose to be intolerant and of what? You're a right one for putting words in mouths.

A very recent example among many is you just stated that Happy Holidays only refers to Christmas. Can't get any more intolerant, arrogant and elitist than that.

I never stated any such thing. I said that Happy Christmas refers to Christmas. More words in mouths.

• Reply 707 of 757
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Perhaps, but science has allowed us to examine history to correct inaccuracies. For instance, Herodotus, "The Father of History", painted a very dark picture of the Persians that wasn't accurate. We also live in a complex world with extensive communication so the history is written from not just the victor, but also the loser, as well as those that didn't even participate.

Definitely. The "loser" also writes their accounts as well. Merging the two together is a arduous process.
  • Reply 708 of 757
    jungmark wrote: »
    Intolerance of others? Stop projecting. How does saying Merry Christmas intolerant? If they don't celebrate, fine...Correct me and move on. Not once has anyone complained about Merry Christmas to me.

Perhaps for the same reason we don't stop people on the street to tell them they aren't talking to anyone; we simply don't know if pointing out facts will set them off.
  • Reply 709 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Got it. So the Indians got colonised!

Conquered is fine with me, too. If only I lived in an age where I could conquer lands. Must have been great fun. Oh well. Nowhere left to conquer or discover now. All done and dusted. Might as well lie down and die.

• Reply 710 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then you're a hypocrite for taking the garb of a religious festival in vain. 

Actually I think most of the garb is Pagan like the decorated tree, the yule log, feasts, parties, wine, etc. Perhaps the gift giving has some biblical roots, and although I've been known to gift some gold, not too much incense or myrrh. Mostly toy trucks, dolls and stuffed animals.

Celebrating Mass is a minor difference. :rolleyes:

I thought I was responding to your accusation that I stole your garb and after explaining exactly the events that we participate in you bring up Christmas Mass. How the bloody hell did I steal your mass? We don't have any religious observances whatsoever.

Frankly, even saying 'Happy Christmas' is part of the garb.

• Reply 711 of 757
    I never stated any such thing. I said that Happy Christmas refers to Christmas. More words in mouths.

Sure…
    crowley wrote:
    I don't disapprove of it. I think it's a less appropriate means of addressing someone of unknown faith than "happy holidays", but it's still a relatively nice thing to say to someone.

I not only tolerate it, I approve of it. I just approve of the alternative a bit more, and I don't think it's bland or meaningless - it includes Christmas, Hannukah, Solstice,, New Year and more besides! And if it's a platitude then so is "Merry Christmas", so you can stick that one up your ass and blow.

It doesn't include anything but Christmas, like it or not.

You also said that Happy Holidays excludes all religions.

PS: What gender do you consider a post-op transsexual?
  • Reply 712 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

Sure…

Thanks for acknowledging your mistake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley 

I don't disapprove of it. I think it's a less appropriate means of addressing someone of unknown faith than "happy holidays", but it's still a relatively nice thing to say to someone.

I not only tolerate it, I approve of it. I just approve of the alternative a bit more, and I don't think it's bland or meaningless - it includes Christmas, Hannukah, Solstice,, New Year and more besides! And if it's a platitude then so is "Merry Christmas", so you can stick that one up your ass and blow.

It doesn't include anything but Christmas, like it or not.

You also said that Happy Holidays excludes all religions.

Your point is?

• Reply 713 of 757
    Quote:

Frankly, even saying 'Happy Christmas' is part of the garb.

For the sake of continuity I was responding to the parts of the garb that I was accused of using in vain. Since we are always in Panama for Christmas we say Feliz Navidad. Try saying that to strangers on the street in London. Second thought...maybe you better not. "What the f*** are you saying? Do I look like f**ing Jose Feliciano?"

• Reply 714 of 757
    mstone wrote: »
    Since we are always in Panama for Christmas we say Feliz Navidad. Try saying that to strangers on the street in London.

Christmas in Spanish! That's probably a whole other issue.
  • Reply 715 of 757
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Perhaps for the same reason we don't stop people on the street to tell them they aren't talking to anyone; we simply don't know if pointing out facts will set them off.

Where do you hang out where "Merry Christmas" are fighting words?
  • Reply 716 of 757
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Oh please. I would say 'Happy Christmas!' Hardly telling someone to enjoy my customs.

By that reasoning, when you say 'Good morning' to someone, you're forcing them to have a good morning whether they like it or not. Oh the hardship! The oppression! The intolerance towards those who don't wish to have a good morning imposed on them! Perhaps I should suggest an alternative; maybe:

'It may be a good, neutral or bad morning for you or a combination of all of those, and I don't wish to impose them all on you, but if you would like one or more of those options, then I would like to wish one of them for you. If you don't, then that's fine too, as I wouldn't wish to impose my own wishes onto you. If it isn't morning for you, or you object to the idea of it being the morning because you've been having an all-nighter and your head is pounding like a jackhammer, then you may or may not want me to wish you an afternoon or evening or none of those. Please make your selection now.'

Could go down well, ya think?

Who in the world doesn't want to have a good morning?  Bizarre line of argument, and further evidence of your trollish idiocy.

• Reply 717 of 757
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Crowley, calling a person an idiot is an ad hominem… 

Not really, my argument doesn't depend on BF being an idiot, he just is one.  It's not an ad hominem so much as a plain insult, and one that he is proving well deserving of with this continual tripe.

• Reply 718 of 757
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Where do you hang out where "Merry Christmas" are fighting words?

No where. They aren't fighting words at all. In the US If you said that to someone who did not observe Christmas, they would probably say thank you, and to you as well. People of other faiths have learned to accept things like that. They don't want to stir up trouble. Very much like jews who have a job that requires them to work past sunset on Fridays and Muslims who have to work on Friday. It is not the end of the world. They put up with it because it is better than making an issue out of it when it is not the local custom. Some of us think it is just more polite to avoid saying that to stranger as a courtesy to people of other faiths. What is so hard to understand about that?

When we are in Panama 90% of people there celebrate Christmas but not in the States.

• Reply 719 of 757
    crowley wrote: »

Oh please. I would say 'Happy Christmas!' Hardly telling someone to enjoy my customs.

By that reasoning, when you say 'Good morning' to someone, you're forcing them to have a good morning whether they like it or not. Oh the hardship! The oppression! The intolerance towards those who don't wish to have a good morning imposed on them! Perhaps I should suggest an alternative; maybe:

'It may be a good, neutral or bad morning for you or a combination of all of those, and I don't wish to impose them all on you, but if you would like one or more of those options, then I would like to wish one of them for you. If you don't, then that's fine too, as I wouldn't wish to impose my own wishes onto you. If it isn't morning for you, or you object to the idea of it being the morning because you've been having an all-nighter and your head is pounding like a jackhammer, then you may or may not want me to wish you an afternoon or evening or none of those. Please make your selection now.'

Could go down well, ya think?
    Who in the world doesn't want to have a good morning?  Bizarre line of argument, and further evidence of your trollish idiocy.

In your world, where people are offended by being greeted with 'Happy Christmas.'

Try again.
  • Reply 720 of 757
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Conquered is fine with me, too. If only I lived in an age where I could conquer lands. Must have been great fun. Oh well. Nowhere left to conquer or discover now. All done and dusted. Might as well lie down and die.

It wasn't it was cracked up to be. Days on end riding on rickety ships, bad food, no plumbing, plus you have a hard enough time communicating with those that speak English, imagine the trouble you'd have if they didn't. ;)