Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update breaks cellular connectivity, Touch ID support for many users

Comments

• Reply 181 of 343

Restoring to Ios 8 from the link provided here seems to work.  There is also a carrier update released today that did not fix my problem. 

• Reply 182 of 343

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

In 3 years with my iPhone 4S on AT&T up to iOS 7.1.2, I never saw "NO SERVICE" and had about 8 Mbps download speeds at home and at work. My brand new iPhone 6 also on AT&T running iOS 8.0 has displayed "NO SERVICE" several times during as many days of ownership. Download speeds on LTE are 1/2 to 1/4 the speed of my 4S at home. At work, I now frequently get "NO SERVICE" or zero data throughput. However, when I'm in a good signal area my download speeds are 2-3 times faster than they were on 4S. So, I've gone from consistently mediocre with the iPhone 4S to wildly fluctuating performance depending on location with my iPhone 6.

I have seen AT&T "No Service" roughly 20% of the time at home.  On every smartphone I've ever had, starting with my Treo 180 through my iPhone 6.  I'm just glad I have a 50Mbps Comcast Xfinity internet connection.  Some day I'll be able to use it for Wi-Fi calling, whether or not I'm still on AT&T.

• Reply 183 of 343

Chapeau to AI for posting the red "Breaking" tag to the story title.

I see what you did there.

• Reply 184 of 343
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    bigpics wrote: »
    Maybe the most glitch-filled launch I can remember, from the Asian language voice-over in the Keynote stream, to the ordering system issues, to (and I dunno if Apple could have prevented this, but embarrassing and reveals they very likely put words into the mouth of paid endorsers who've never seen the product they're rhapsodizing about) the Joan Rivers facebook endorsement from beyond the grave, to "bend gate" (has Apple commented yet?  Is it a thing or not?) to this...

....NBD yet, but WTF....?

Joan Rivers?? That's one I didn't know about until you mentioned it. So much for paid endorsers. Didn't realize that like Sammy Apple also did that.
    http://marketingland.com/another-scheduled-social-post-goes-awry-joan-rivers-endorses-iphone-6-100797
  • Reply 185 of 343
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

That is not what the original poster said. What you are describing does NOT happen with a standard restore. .IPSW files are often deleted when an upgrade is completed. 

I usually chose download only without install, then I find the IPSW file and copy it. That way I have it if needed. I have never experienced this exact scenario but since the current up-to-date version is reverted to 8.0, I wonder if you can just click restore even though you already have 8.0.1. Not sure what happens since I did not install the corrupt version. I'm still on 8.0.

• Reply 186 of 343
    A few of the long time posters here have said they are having problems, so I have no reason to doubt them.

How many here installed on iPhone 5/5s/5c and have had no issues?
    I've installed it onto my 5S and iPad Mini Retina with no issues so far, it would appear to be confined to the iPhone 6/6+.

Also, it's been confirmed over at 9to5Mac that putting your 6/6+ into DFU mode and restoring it via iTunes will restore the phone to normal operation.
  • Reply 187 of 343
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

What the hell Apple?  I expect this sh!t from any Android handset, but not from you.  This better not be the new norm in town.  Get your act together!

• Reply 188 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I have seen AT&T "No Service" roughly 20% of the time at home.  On every smartphone I've ever had, starting with my Treo 180 through my iPhone 6.  I'm just glad I have a 50Mbps Comcast Xfinity internet connection.  Some day I'll be able to use it for Wi-Fi calling, whether or not I'm still on AT&T.

You could consider an external cell antenna with a signal booster for about $250. That usually does the trick. There is also the AT&T cell over broadband microcell device they offer.

• Reply 189 of 343
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I work in tech. My Dad and Mom both worked for the pentagon....and my sister also served in the ME. Im fully aware of accountability and responsibility. Its one thing to say Apple screwed up and needs to fix it. Its another to say

Since you do understand, your post made no sense then.  TC would get the blame (accountability) and he in turn would look within his company and find who is responsible. (I am sure they already know by now)

• Reply 190 of 343
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The difference is Joan Rivers is a confirmed iPhone user and probably woudl have gotten the 6 if she was alive.

Maybe she already had one.

Apple does let a few people who are not Apple employees get devices before they are released.

• Reply 191 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

By the way, it's easy to tell the legitimate posters in this thread from the couple of easy to spot trolls, who gleefully pile on whenever there is something negative about Apple.

Those Fandroid imposters can kiss my ass. 

You're getting old ! You haven't found a way to blame Samsung yet. Fail !!

• Reply 192 of 343
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The difference is Joan Rivers is a confirmed iPhone user and probably woudl have gotten the 6 if she was alive.

No one gets mad at Samdung for using celebrity endorsers.  Its just when those endorsers don't actually use Samdung products it looks clownish.
    So you were already aware Apple used paid endorsers on social media. Personally I was was surprised they did so.
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Maybe she already had one.

Apple does let a few people who are not Apple employees get devices before they are released.

Since late August?? Suppose anything is possible but doesn't really sound very likely does it?
  • Reply 193 of 343

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

You could consider an external cell antenna with a signal booster for about $250. That usually does the trick. There is also the AT&T cell over broadband microcell device they offer.

Wow.  I had no idea microcells cost so much.  I hear that if you complain long and hard enough, they might give you one for free.

• Reply 194 of 343
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So people expect their devices to work 100% time?

Really?

Nothing works 100% of the time.

Get a backup phone if you MUST HAVE 100%. 

If you can't risk a few hours of downtime you should have a backup plan or an extra phone.

That's why I'm keeping my 5S with my 6+

Its surprises me that so many people updated their phones without a full backup.  That's standard procedure IMO.

The seductive trap of over the air updates: do it NOW becomes irresistible and, with private devices I expect, there's no availability of a backup desktop machine. That's my situation anyway: sure I've got lots of work computers but my personal iTunes account (and personal iPhone backup) is at home. So with an over the air update I'm 35 miles from my backup if stuff happens.... So I for OS's I don't, apps are minor enough (and my data plan unlimited enough) I let them go for it. I may be gambling an app update couldn't break the OS but in either desktops or phones I've never heard of, or experienced, that anyway.

• Reply 195 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

You're getting old ! You haven't found a way to blame Samsung yet. Fail !!

Samsung most likely had nothing to do with this, unless of course there was a Samsung spy working for Apple and they somehow managed to deliberately sabotage the update by changing a few lines of code, just prior to the update going live.

However, don't worry, because I'm sure that there will be countless opportunities for me to bash and ridicule Samsung in the coming weeks and months.

• Reply 196 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Wow.  I had no idea microcells cost so much.  I hear that if you complain long and hard enough, they might give you one for free.

No I think the micro cells are free. The external antenna + booster you have buy from a dealer. The free solution is obviously better if you have reliable unlimited broadband. The antenna solution is good for anyone on any network.

• Reply 197 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Since late August?? Suppose anything is possible but doesn't really sound very likely does it?

I'm not sure, but I do remember reading a story about this girl, who wasn't even a celebrity or anything like that, she merely knew somebody at Apple, and she had gotten her iPhone 6 well ahead of time, though I'm not sure about the exact dates.

• Reply 198 of 343
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

I've installed it onto my 5S and iPad Mini Retina with no issues so far, it would appear to be confined to the iPhone 6/6+.

Also, it's been confirmed over at 9to5Mac that putting your 6/6+ into DFU mode and restoring it via iTunes will restore the phone to normal operation.

The trouble with that is for people at work their personal iTunes account is more than likely back at home: meaning a workday without their private phone. Not end of the world but understandably annoying. I know I'd hate to have to navigate my rush hour traffic without my iPhone's map showing me the traffic jams. I pick the wrong route to commit to and and I can add an hour to that trip in a blink.

• Reply 199 of 343

Dear Apple,

Please quit turning into Microsoft.

Thanks,

Brian

• Reply 200 of 343

Most of the memes that have been trotted out over the past week (i.e., iOS 8 is a disaster, bendgate, etc.) are just more of the usual internet echo chamber and trolling that bombards most tech blogs and forums on an everyday basis. The introduction of a new device and OS just provides fresh targets to shoot at and lie about. For me, iOS 8.0 has mostly run fine with none of the showstopping bugs that accompanied iOS 7.0 (how quickly people forget the so-called "white screen of death"). In the absence of any real scandal or widespread problem, the usual suspects jumped in and tried to manufacture a narrative that wasn't really there.

With that, iOS 8.0.1 is a big time screw up and Apple deserves to get skewered for this. It's one thing to have new features not fully implemented, or random bugs that affect only a small number of users. It's quite another for an update to break basic functionality like cellular service and Touch ID. Apple essentially had a full month to work on this, and supposedly it had already been seeded to the carriers for testing. By all accounts, this issue was widespread, so there's no getting around the real trouble that the update has caused.

The important thing is fixing the damage immediately, and then figuring out how this happened and ensuring that something like it never happens again.

This is a case where I'm thankful that I use iTunes for my iOS updates, AND I have a slow broadband connection at home. The download time for the 1.9 GB installation file still showed 4 hours to go when I started reading the early forum posts about broken cellular service and Touch ID.