Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update breaks cellular connectivity, Touch ID support for many users

Comments

• Reply 141 of 343

Fascinating seeing the number of newbies attempting to stir the pot.

Just doing a quick scan, I'd say the newbie haters outnumber the newbie "real posters" by about 5-to-1.

But hey, web traffic is web traffic.  The more posts, the better for Apple Insider.

Keep it up!

• Reply 142 of 343
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

back up data.  wipe it clean. and re-install the old iOS, reload the data back.  Will take about a day of work.  Just give thanks to Apple for taking a sick day off.

Since it's affecting the 6's a "restore from backup" will do as well and not take very long. 

• Reply 143 of 343

Thanks so much for this.

I just feel sorry for the non-tech iPhone users who got bitten by this and now have to deal with it.

• Reply 144 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

As a rule of thumb i NEVER update my devices on the first day unless its a CRITICAL update.

I usually wait a week to make sure the bugs are gone.

I advise others to do the same from now on.

While many have posted similar, this is true of many things beyond software updates or tech things. This is one of my core life philosophies: never change anything until required or the safety of doing so is confirmed and verifiable, preferably by reliable first hand reports. Something new comes out? Find out how others are experiencing it first. Then decide a course of action. Risk management takes some actual analysis.

That said, it does appear Apple made a mistake today. They're clearly doomed.

• Reply 145 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

8.0.1 killed my 6 Plus (searching... for network and Touch ID doesn't respond).

GRRRRR!!!!

Restore from backup to get out from under the .01 update. Lousy but you'll get there.

• Reply 146 of 343
    Originally Posted by smaffei View Post

I just feel sorry for the non-tech iPhone users who got bitten by this and now have to deal with it.

The non-techy iPhone users are too stupid to apply updates in the first place. You wouldn’t believe the number of people who were still on 1.0.2 after iOS 3 had come out.

“You mean I can install apps too?!”

• Reply 147 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Could you please point to the spot on this chart where the stock price is highest? Could you please point to the spot where Sculley was in charge?

Notice the huge gap in dividends.

And who the heck was talking about absolute comparisons? Of course stock prices are higher now. My point was that Sculley's early-to-mid years were among Apple's most prosperous compared to the rest of the company's years (before he joined), yet they led to the same kind of non-innovation and crisis period we're moving towards now.

Check this to understand what I mean:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_26432985/from-archive-1992-sculley-steering-apple-into-21st

• Reply 148 of 343
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Restore from backup will back you out of the upgrade.

No, it won’t. You are wrong. Backups DO NOT include iOS itself.

• Reply 149 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Another non-issue is being trolled around. Remember antennagate? Now - bending, iOS upgrade, click, click...

To be fair, a degrading antenna signal when you hold the phone in your hand is hardly a non-issue.  I'm just glad the antenna was rectified on the 4S.  Thanks for bringing back good old memories though...  

• Reply 150 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Mutti View Post

The issue can easily be resolved by re-updating the affected phone with the complete image, not an over-the air update. 

You can just re-apply the update using iTunes.

Download the firmware:

6+ http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07519.20140924.FTHpb/iPhone7,1_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

6 http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07540.20140924.b41vK/iPhone7,2_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

Then connect your phone to iTunes, Command-click the update button (not sure what key on windows) and choose the downloaded file.

Thanks so much for this.

• Reply 151 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I didn't mention any names, so I'm not sure why you are responding to my post.:)

I will merely say that they know who they are, and I will leave it at that.

Fair enough. Let the fandroids appear, then.

• Reply 152 of 343
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple's new catchphrase:

"It just worked."

????
  • Reply 153 of 343
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

So anybody here having a real bad day?

No. I didn't think so.

Things could be worse for them. Imagine if they were also Android users.

• Reply 154 of 343
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    How the **** is this possible?
    How can they screw up so badly?
  • Reply 155 of 343
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

It's time for a new CEO - Mr Cook is an unmitigated disaster for Apple; just wait and see:

1 - Uncalled for distribution of dividends: Apple no longer a growth stock;

2 - Acquisition of Beats - cheapened brand, crappy headphones, ridiculous price for just another streaming service;

3 - Lack of proper torsion testing on the new iPhones, aka "bendgate";

4 - Bigger iPhones with protruding cameras and "smart" watches just because analysts tell Apple to launch them - we no longer innovate, we just follow:

5 - sloppy software releases just like 8.0.1, shutdown of high-end software suites; long delays in launching innovative Macs.

You neglected U2-gate. And the song U2 performed at the keynote was not the coolest song ever. Coolness can't be bought and isn't forced--this is the misconception Cook seems to have, perhaps out of insecurity of his own coolness. He's not cool, and that's perfectly fine, as long as he doesn't try to be something he isn't.

• Reply 156 of 343
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    brlawyer wrote: »

I have never bought anything remotely related to Android or Windows, and have converted more than 25 people to Apple over the last five years...so hopefully you are not talking about me.

I think you are wrong about Cook = Sculley.
    Apple is far more innovative now than then.

However Cook does mess up in execution. Too much.
  • Reply 157 of 343
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

And who the heck was talking about absolute comparisons? Of course stock prices are higher now. My point was that Sculley's early-to-mid years were among Apple's most prosperous compared to the rest of the company's years (before he joined), yet they led to the same kind of non-innovation and crisis period we're moving towards now.

That would be... you.

"Originally Posted by brlawyer :

Stock prices were also at their highest during the early 90s with Sculley -"

If you meant to say that the stock price ROSE the fastest (or fast) during the Sculley years, you should have actually said that.  I'm sure that almost all readers interpreted your comment as referring to actual stock prices (and assumed that you don't understand stock splits or were just plain wrong).

• Reply 158 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

Funny I did not know the Jesus Jet Ski's...He must get the smoothest water to do that...;-)

I have always been told by Apple to never use Over-The-Air updates...always use your Desk top to do it with a Hard wire....Im just sayin...

A wired update connection is just far more stable: over the air signals can be dropped or interfered with in such uncontrolled environments as a normal user resides in. I'm surrounded by electronics, instruments and equipment with electric motors and in side a steel nd concrete building whose walls are full of power lines. A reliable data transfer for the code that's going to be running a computer? VERY tricky.

• Reply 159 of 343

And who the heck was talking about absolute comparisons?

You.

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Stock prices were also at their highest during the early 90s with Sculley

You said it. Right here.

Of course stock prices are higher now.

So that goes against what you yourself said. Right here.

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Stock prices were also at their highest during the early 90s with Sculley

See?

My point was that Sculley's early-to-mid years were among Apple's most prosperous compared to the rest of the company's years (before he joined)

Then you probably should have said that instead of what you actually said.

Originally Posted by smaffei View Post

Didn’t I reply to this already? They’re not smart enough to know there IS an update.

• Reply 160 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    malax wrote: »
    Not to let Apple off the hook here, but that is pretty stupid on the part of those people.  If your phone is critical to your work why would you update it in the middle of the work day?  I would hope a surgeon wouldn't update his surgical robot's firmware minutes before opening up the patient.  
    Oh I totally agree. In fact I raised an eyebrow that a CNBC anchor would update their phone on the job. But still it happened and anybody watching CNBC heard about it.