Samsung riffs on iPhone 6 'Bendgate' woes in new Galaxy Note 4 ad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 167
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    macvicta wrote: »
    I was posting here before you even discovered this website. My posts prove nothing other than my lack of sycophancy in regard to Apple.

Bendgate is real and it's not going anywhere unless Apple changes the design and strengthens the weak point near the volume buttons where the fractures occur.

And regardless of Bendgate, the CR testing showed that both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are more fragile than the iPhone 5 (which I proudly own). So bending aside, you can't argue the fact that the 6 is a step backward in durability from the phone it replaced.

The iPhone faired better than most phones similarly sized which states a lot considering they are thinner. The videos of people strenuously exerting a tremendous amount of force onto one point of the phone and it merely bending tells me the phone is quite resilient and people are stupid.
  • Reply 22 of 167
    gerardgerard Posts: 83member
    Is it just me? Doesn't the phone belong in the back pocket if you are going to show how it doesn't bend in it? Even Samsung's testing is flawed...
  • Reply 23 of 167
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Bendgate is real and it's not going anywhere unless Apple changes the design and strengthens the weak point near the volume buttons where the fractures occur.

And regardless of Bendgate, the CR testing showed that both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are more fragile than the iPhone 5 (which I proudly own). So bending aside, you can't argue the fact that the 6 is a step backward in durability from the phone it replaced.

The 6+ is apparently at least as good in these bend tests as the Note 4; so this video at least doesn't point up an Apple flaw.  And how exactly is it that a much longer and much thinner iPhone 6 isn't going to be more susceptible to bending than the 5?

• Reply 24 of 167
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbh View Post

same thing is happening between architects and engineers... architects make sure the design is good... engineers make sure it is structurally sound... does most architect think about how structurally good their designs are?? i don't think so...

so going back to Apple... is Ive the architect doing the design or is he the engineer or is he both?? if he is not both, then why blame the guy??

He's both.  But every architect and engineer knows about tradeoffs.  Every bridge, building, whatever could be made stronger at the expense of weight, cost, complexity, or perhaps just aesthetics.  That's the nature of design--making the right tradeoffs to create the "best" result.  Apple could have easily made the iPhone 6 twice as strong--or 10 times as strong.  But would we want a phone that is thicker and/or heavier and or/with less battery life and/or with higher cost?  Making a phone that is stronger than necessary is poor design.  So is making one not strong enough of course, but the test isn't "can a video blogger bend it."

• Reply 25 of 167
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

And rightfully so. Apple should be ashamed for their step backward in durability. If Jony Ive didn't have the proper materials to make such a thin metal device then he should've compromised for the sake of structural integrity.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The design is fine. It's beautiful. It's plenty strong enough for anyone, except the morbidly stupid and senseless.

I love my Plus. It's big, but not too big to fit in my Wranglers' front pockets with no stress. There's no way I'm going to bend it, even accidentally.

All this bend stuff is total crap and springs from the competition's and their paid shills' desperation over yet another great new Apple product.

• Reply 26 of 167
    What's the best designed iPhone to date?

I haven't yet seen the 6 and 6 Plus in the flesh, but otherwise, I'd be inclined to say the original iPhone of 2007.
  • Reply 27 of 167
    Also important to note that the iPhone 6 Plus is 7.1mm thick and the Note 4 is 8.5mm thick.
  • Reply 28 of 167
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frugality View Post

If bending the iphones was 'purposeful', as you say, then there's no reason the anti-Apple crowd couldn't have done it with the 5S or any other previous phone.  Some folks noticed their new iPhone 6's bending.  Someone showed in a video how he could do it pretty easily with his bare hands.  Consumer Reports shows that the 6 is a fair bit less rigid than the 5 or other popular phones, and slotted in slightly above the worst, the HTC One M8.

I think the original poster's comment was valid.  Ive and Co. have driven styling requirements to such levels that they finally made a structurally weak phone.

iPhone 6 is a great phone, but handle 'my precious' with care.....

The first Bendgate was for the iPhone 5 two years ago. There were numerous threads on it at Macrumors. Why didn't it take off like this one? Well, Samsung wasn't hurting then like it is now, Apple didn't have Touch ID and Apple Pay, the Apple Watch wasn't coming out, and so forth. People were able to drive the stock price down with the simple lie, "Apple is doomed." Two years later, it's not so easy, though Deutsche Bank threw its hat in the ring this afternoon.

• Reply 29 of 167
    dbolander wrote: »
    Also important to note that the iPhone 6 Plus is 7.1mm thick and the Note 4 is 8.5mm thick.

I wish it were 7.5mm and a flush camera lens.
  • Reply 30 of 167
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    frood wrote: »
    Instead of a sideways jab, they should just run with the data.

The Note 4 can withstand more than twice the force of the iPhone 6 before bending.

The actual numbers they withstand and all the bickering from both sides is pretty meaningless.  The phone is released.  The only test that is going to matter is whether a year from now you have thousands of iPhone users with bent phones or not.

If any do they're lazy morons since Apple will replace them.
  • Reply 31 of 167
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The 6 Plus S will be stronger and I will buy it.
  • Reply 32 of 167
    jonl wrote: »
    frugality wrote: »
    If bending the iphones was 'purposeful', as you say, then there's no reason the anti-Apple crowd couldn't have done it with the 5S or any other previous phone.  Some folks noticed their new iPhone 6's bending.  Someone showed in a video how he could do it pretty easily with his bare hands.  Consumer Reports shows that the 6 is a fair bit less rigid than the 5 or other popular phones, and slotted in slightly above the worst, the HTC One M8.

I think the original poster's comment was valid.  Ive and Co. have driven styling requirements to such levels that they finally made a structurally weak phone.

iPhone 6 is a great phone, but handle 'my precious' with care.....
    The first Bendgate was for the iPhone 5 two years ago. There were numerous threads on it at Macrumors. Why didn't it take off like this one? Well, Samsung wasn't hurting then like it is now, Apple didn't have Touch ID and Apple Pay, the Apple Watch wasn't coming out, and so forth. People were able to drive the stock price down with the simple lie, "Apple is doomed." Two years later, it's not so easy, though Deutsche Bank threw its hat in the ring this afternoon.

No.

The reason it didn't take off is because there was no substance behind the rumour. The iPhone 5 is a good, strong phone.

The 6 Plus we know to be substantially less strong, and hence the rise of Bendgate.
  • Reply 33 of 167
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    And rightfully so. Apple should be ashamed for their step backward in durability. If Jony Ive didn't have the proper materials to make such a thin metal device then he should've compromised for the sake of structural integrity.

Nine complaints out of ten million phones and you consider this an issue?

Apple should be no less ashamed for this than you.

You don't see us getting all bent out of shape at you for dragging down the gene pool.
  • Reply 34 of 167
    gtr wrote: »

Nine complaints out of ten million phones and you consider this an issue?

Apple should be no less ashamed for this than you.

You don't see us getting all bent out of shape at you for dragging down the gene pool.

It's TS I really feel for. That poor MacBook of his…
  • Reply 35 of 167
    No.

The reason it didn't take off is because there was no substance behind the rumour. The iPhone 5 is a good, strong phone.

The 6 Plus we know to be substantially less strong, and hence the rise of Bendgate.

Both case are exactly the same, Ben.
  • Reply 36 of 167
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbh View Post

...does most architect think about how structurally good their designs are?? i don't think so...

OF COURSE THEY DO!

An architect who doesn't think structurally won't be long in a job. :-)

• Reply 37 of 167
    iqatedo wrote: »
    dbh wrote: »

...does most architect think about how structurally good their designs are?? i don't think so...
    OF COURSE THEY DO!

An architect who doesn't think structurally won't be long in a job. :-)

Unless you're designing a pyramid for Cleopatra…
  • Reply 38 of 167

So now the Samsung Galaxy is the ass phone?

• Reply 39 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The 6 Plus S will be stronger and I will buy it.

Just remember, though.

For an entire year, many of us will have one that is bigger than yours.

;) 

• Reply 40 of 167
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    As an engineer you design a product for it's intended use, with certain margins of error.
    You do NOT design it to be ABUSED, unless you design combat equipment.
    A phone of the size of the 6plus is supposed to be in the pockets of a sports jacket, briefcase, backpack, purse, portfolio, waist bag, etc.
    It's not designed to be put in some tight jeans pocket of a super sized American behemoth squatting, sitting down or doing sit-ups. That's outside the design specifications.
    If you buy expensive Limouges porcelain you're not going to sit on the hand-painted tea cup worth a few hundred buck and then claim it's a design flaw when it shatters, do you?
    It's designed to drink from, not to sit on; so the iPhone is designed as a communications device not as a sitting surface, pillow, or flex-reinforcement of your pants: so take the damn thing out of your pocket before sitting down, or get a smaller phone upon which less severe leverage forces are active