Samsung riffs on iPhone 6 'Bendgate' woes in new Galaxy Note 4 ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 167
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    solsun wrote: »
    Yes, the iPhone 6 is a great phone.  And of course, it should be handled with the same care any $900 device made of glass and aluminum should be handled.

Thats smart! I mean i dont see people testing how much does it take to bend their wedding rings or how much force to break their gold chains!

Maybe they should test their bone see how much force does it take to break them, i hear they can be quite fragil!
  • Reply 42 of 167
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

So now the Samsung Galaxy is the ass phone?

ah finally we understand why it's called the Galaxy "Ass" as in "asshole",  Glasshole, because A-holes like it and use it. Now I see the pattern, look the reason they used "Note" is because it thymes with "Bloat"

• Reply 43 of 167
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I was posting here before you even discovered this website. My posts prove nothing other than my lack of sycophancy in regard to Apple.

Bendgate is real and it's not going anywhere unless Apple changes the design and strengthens the weak point near the volume buttons where the fractures occur.

And regardless of Bendgate, the CR testing showed that both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are more fragile than the iPhone 5 (which I proudly own). So bending aside, you can't argue the fact that the 6 is a step backward in durability from the phone it replaced.

I'm sure you're aware of the "batterygate" and "cameragate" issues too since you're so ready to fight for consumer rights. They're affecting hundreds and maybe thousands of people because 10 million phones have shipped. That's just a typical defective rate for such technology. How many have been affected by the bending of phones? 9 people? You're calling for a redesign because 9 people were affected??? Why not call for a re-design of the defective batteries and cameras too? Well you don't need to because Apple is addressing those problems the same way they address bending phones. They give customers a new phone under warranty.

You're either a moron or a troll. Take your pick.

• Reply 44 of 167
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I'm half drunk, so if I offend anyone I apologize in advance. Here's what occurs to me as I read these posts:

1) iphone 6 is half as resistant to bending as iPhone 5, yet there are occasional cases of bent iPhone 5's. Seems like they went too far with thinness. I think in the back of our minds are thoughts about protruding camera lenses and small batteries, and it seems uncomfortably obvious that we have more than one cause to believe this is the case. This makes many of us overly defensive.

2) we are trusting that there are only 9 customers complaining about bent phones. I love Apple, but I never believe the corporate line, even from my own company. I suspect there is a real weak spot, and I agree that this is likely to get a lot bigger, based only on a review I read where the phone got high marks, but was also bent.

3) it's cliche, but Steve Jobs would not have allowed this, and we all know it because, according to his biography, it was he who insisted on a glass screen after his keys scratched the prototype in his pocket. If a phone had bent in his pocket he would have been livid.

4) I will buy one anyway. Samsung's phones are pretty good - good enough that I tried an S4 for 3 months last year. As much as I loved the screen, all I could think of was how much I wished it was running iOS.

5) Samsung is absolutely, unequivocally, desperate, and it shows in their advertising strategy.

6) Tallest Skil, you disappoint me, with diversions about waterproofing and mature, succinct arguments like, "...so just shut up". If I can bend an iPhone 6+ with little effort by exploiting a weak point, we are looking at a substandard design, no matter how much we love Apple and iOS.
  • Reply 45 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

And rightfully so. Apple should be ashamed for their step backward in durability. If Jony Ive didn't have the proper materials to make such a thin metal device then he should've compromised for the sake of structural integrity.

Just get the HTC One. It doesn't suffer from a compromised perception of structural integrity.

• Reply 46 of 167
    iqatedo wrote: »
    dbh wrote: »

...does most architect think about how structurally good their designs are?? i don't think so...
    OF COURSE THEY DO!

An architect who doesn't think structurally won't be long in a job. :-)

Unless you're designing a pyramid for Cleopatra…

Well, since the last pathetic flickering out of the pyramid age was as far in the past for Cleopatra (VII, I assume) as the deposition of the last Roman Emperor in the West is for us, she would undoubtedly have given him a funny look, all right.
  • Reply 47 of 167

This site is really bringing out the "shame on Apple" trolls.

• Reply 48 of 167
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

What's the best designed iPhone to date?

I haven't yet seen the 6 and 6 Plus in the flesh, but otherwise, I'd be inclined to say the original iPhone of 2007.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I wish it were 7.5mm and a flush camera lens.

Do you have strong opinions about lots of things that you've never actually seen?

• Reply 49 of 167
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Squaretrade rated the iPhone 6 Plus the most durable phone with a screen greater than 5".
  • Reply 50 of 167
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    What the f... Appleinsider? It's like Apple related sites are doing their best to report biased information towards Apple by bringing up Samsung crap.

"That test found Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 takes substantial force without bending until the screen shatters at 150 pounds of pressure (approximately 68 kgf)."

So what? They are made of different materials that don't have the same properties to applied stress. And the author forgot to say that the Note 3 did not work anymore after bending while the iPhone still did. And why the author is not saying that Consumer Report conclusions were in fact that the iPhone 6 is not at all easily bendable in a pocket? The author is basically hiding informations to make the story more attractive, well.......

And which report about iPhones bending in front pocket the author is talking about? No one of them are verified to be true. Fake photos of bended iPhones were all over the web and Appleinsider did not even report about them. So why are you making stuff up?

Now, I don't understand why even Appleinsider is just reporting about a disgusting company as Samsung. Samsung like a lot of Asian companies is not shame to be hypocrite and they know that the media won't notice their bullshit.

Samsung is making here an ad about the Note 4, the same device that has a manufacturing defect producing a large gab around the screen. Samsung even went to say that the gap is normal and that it can even get bigger over time. I mean this is crazy, and no media in US is reporting about this. They all go after Apple about a totally made up bullshit just after Apple announced that they sold 10 millions phones but nothing to say about Samsung.

http://9to5google.com/2014/09/30/samsung-says-note-4-screen-gap-manufacturing-issue-is-a-feature-not-a-flaw/

I mean please people, Samsung is talking in this stupid and childish ad about their manufacturing quality while they are selling phones with a gap around the screen and Samsung itself is admitting it can get bigger (known in Twitter as GapGate)

I have sent the news about the screen gap to Appleinsider a few days ago but they didn't report about it. Now they are reporting about this propaganda ad from Samsung which is trying to deviate people from the screen gap issue (this one being real) in the Note 4 by using the bullshit that went on the iPhone 6.

And it's a shame that Appleinsider is also playing their game.
  • Reply 51 of 167
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    larrya wrote: »
    3) it's cliche, but Steve Jobs would not have allowed this, and we all know it because, according to his biography, it was he who insisted on a glass screen after his keys scratched the prototype in his pocket. If a phone had bent in his pocket he would have been livid.

Steve would never put an iPhone in his back pocket. My 6 goes in my front pocket very easily.
  • Reply 52 of 167
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

I'm half drunk, so if I offend anyone I apologize in advance. Here's what occurs to me as I read these posts:

1) iphone 6 is half as resistant to bending as iPhone 5, yet there are occasional cases of bent iPhone 5's. Seems like they went too far with thinness. I think in the back of our minds are thoughts about protruding camera lenses and small batteries, and it seems uncomfortably obvious that we have more than one cause to believe this is the case. This makes many of us overly defensive.

2) we are trusting that there are only 9 customers complaining about bent phones. I love Apple, but I never believe the corporate line, even from my own company. I suspect there is a real weak spot, and I agree that this is likely to get a lot bigger, based only on a review I read where the phone got high marks, but was also bent.

4) I will buy one anyway. Samsung's phones are pretty good - good enough that I tried an S4 for 3 months last year. As much as I loved the screen, all I could think of was how much I wished it was running iOS.

5) Samsung is absolutely, unequivocally, desperate, and it shows in their advertising strategy.

6) Tallest Skil, you disappoint me, with diversions about waterproofing and mature, succinct arguments like, "...so just shut up". If I can bend an iPhone 6+ with little effort by exploiting a weak point, we are looking at a substandard design, no matter how much we love Apple and iOS.

No need to apologize in advance. I don't believe you're trolling but I don't agree with all of your assertions either. Why would Apple release a number like 9 people if it were really 25 or 50 or 1000? Even at 1000, that number is pretty insignificant as far as defective phone design or components go. If they were lying about the number, it would come out and do so much more damage than any bendgate nonsense.

That being said, of course there have been more phones bending than the amount of complaints recorded. That has always been the case even with iPhone 5 and 5s. Just ask any Apple store employee about those phones that also bend. You act as if Jony Ive's iPhone 6+ bent in his pocket and he hid it from everyone. Apple's testing facilities bear out the data perfectly. They know how much pressure is required to bend the phone. If you apply just the right amount of pressure to the right area of the phone it will bend. Every single phone has weak areas like this but no one exploits them because there is no money to be made in youtube videos of these and not enough people know or care about any model nearly as much as they do the iPhone.

This happens every single iPhone release and it will be something else next release cycle. Antennagate was arguably much worse (although I never could find a single person that experienced any issues from iPhone 4's antenna) and that didn't lead to a recall. It did lead to a redesign to improve antenna performance so that was a good thing. Could bendgate ever lead to a future redesign? Maybe, but we will never know because the media has blown their load on this story and it's dead. Samsung's got the story on life support but it's going, going, gone.

• Reply 53 of 167
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Based on my own experience and memory, I have no reason to distrust official statements from Apple. Likewise I trust factual statements from my employer. If I didn't I might look elsewhere for employment.

That's a very big if. Based on what I've seen from Apple's testing labs and Consumer Reports (which historically cannot be considered "pro-Apple") I have no reason to believe an iPhone 6 would have bent in his pocket. And based on his choice of pants, I have no reason to believe he would have tried to carry a 6 plus in his jeans' pocket.

And this part part is just BS. Show me a video where someone "with little effort" is able to bend any iPhone.
  • Reply 54 of 167
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This site is really bringing out the "shame on Apple" trolls.
    Yep lots of armchair designers here. Nevermind that Apple put the phones through umpteen stress tests. Never mind that we're not hearing about widespread bending issues or widespread returns to Apple. Nevermind all the people commenting how good the phone feels in their hand. Nevermind the reported 2 million pre-orders in China. Nope these armchair designers know best, not the hundreds of hardware/mechanical design engineers that actually worked on the product. I guess if only Tim Cook would hire them we'd be better off. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 55 of 167
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    kpom wrote: »
    Squaretrade rated the iPhone 6 Plus the most durable phone with a screen greater than 5".
    But the armchair designers say elsewise so obviously SquareTrade is wrong.
  • Reply 56 of 167
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Who really cares about all of this, crap? It'll pass and all of us who actually own an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus will continue along as we are and always have. And in a month or so, this will all blow over.

So far, THE ONLY people I've actually heard/read complaining are people WHO DO NOT OWN A NEW IPHONE and have bent it using their hands as if that is somehow considered normal!!!

From what I can tell this whole brouhaha started from a single tweet from a real user who's phone bent under normal use. It was picked up by every blog. Then some idiot decided to see if it would bend by using his hands!!! Then it went viral.

Apple originally stated that they only received nine customer service reports regarding the issue. And since Apple sold millions and millions of these devices, more than likely the phone DOES NOT have an issue with bending under normal use.

All the morons whining about the issue obviously do not have a clue about manufacturing and that there will always be some defective units regardless how well anything is built. Furthermore, bending a device with your hands is excessive force and not NORMAL use.

• Reply 57 of 167
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member

Like anything else you buy, if it is not supposed to be bent, don't bend it. Have some common sense. The iPhone 6 Plus is a big phone. if you don't take precautions to protect it, it is only your fault if it gets damaged. Think of it as a precious piece of jewelry like your wife's wedding ring or a fine watch. You should take every measure to protect it.

• Reply 58 of 167
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Steve would never put an iPhone in his back pocket. My 6 goes in my front pocket very easily.

I also always use the front pocket. That's where I will put my 6, too.
  • Reply 59 of 167
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"Samsung!

Where the truth isn't all we bend!"

• Reply 60 of 167
    jonljonl Posts: 210member

FWIW, I've had a 5th gen iPod Touch for the last two years. It's 6.1 mm thick vs 6.9 for the iPhone 6 and 7.1 for the 6 Plus, so it is substantially thinner than both new phones. It was flat when I bought it, and it is still flat. I would be surprised if I couldn't bend it, and that was the obvious thought the first time I held it. The very first time I put it in a pants pocket, I noticed it could rotate or ride up in certain ways when sitting that not only put obvious stress on the device, they were uncomfortable for me. So, I made sure it didn't do those things when carrying it in a pocket. Potential problem avoided. That said, as with the iPhone 5 and now the 6, there has been no shortage of people claiming their Touches "spontaneously bent" when carried in a pocket or purse. The reality is, it is a rare problem, and within that universe of rare events, it is rarer still for it to be "spontaneous", if it's ever happened at all.