Samsung riffs on iPhone 6 'Bendgate' woes in new Galaxy Note 4 ad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 167
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    wigby wrote: »
    No need to apologize in advance. I don't believe you're trolling but I don't agree with all of your assertions either. Why would Apple release a number like 9 people if it were really 25 or 50 or 1000? Even at 1000, that number is pretty insignificant as far as defective phone design or components go. If they were lying about the number, it would come out and do so much more damage than any bendgate nonsense.

That being said, of course there have been more phones bending than the amount of complaints recorded. That has always been the case even with iPhone 5 and 5s. Just ask any Apple store employee about those phones that also bend. You act as if Jony Ive's iPhone 6+ bent in his pocket and he hid it from everyone. Apple's testing facilities bear out the data perfectly. They know how much pressure is required to bend the phone. If you apply just the right amount of pressure to the right area of the phone it will bend. Every single phone has weak areas like this but no one exploits them because there is no money to be made in youtube videos of these and not enough people know or care about any model nearly as much as they do the iPhone.

This happens every single iPhone release and it will be something else next release cycle. Antennagate was arguably much worse (although I never could find a single person that experienced any issues from iPhone 4's antenna) and that didn't lead to a recall. It did lead to a redesign to improve antenna performance so that was a good thing. Could bendgate ever lead to a future redesign? Maybe, but we will never know because the media has blown their load on this story and it's dead. Samsung's got the story on life support but it's going, going, gone.

I agree it would be a terrible strategy for Apple to bend the truth, even a little. I hope I am just being cynical. 9 was a point-in-time number that can easily be defended later, even if someone knows it will grow once shipments catch up to orders.

I hope I'm not "acting" like anything - just trying to be objective. I don't think Ive is hiding anything, but mistakes do happen.
  • Reply 62 of 167
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    What's the best designed iPhone to date?

I haven't yet seen the 6 and 6 Plus in the flesh, but otherwise, I'd be inclined to say the original iPhone of 2007.

I just got the iPhone 6 Plus and my wife has the iPhone 6. I have to say that I like the form factor of the iPhone 6 better. It's damn near perfect. The 6+ is too big for my little hands and is taking so getting used to.

I know somebody is going to say I'm wrong, but I think Apple should come out with an iPhone 6C for Compact. Shrink the iPhone 6 screen to 4". I think that would be the most perfect device ergonomically speaking.
  • Reply 63 of 167
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    larrya wrote: »
    If I can bend an iPhone 6+ with little effort by exploiting a weak point, we are looking at a substandard design, no matter how much we love Apple and iOS.

I disagree with you on two points. First, you cannot bend an iPhone 6+ with little effort. It takes considerable effort and either knowledge of where it's weakest bending point resides on the phone (which we've all now been educated about via online videos) or some deliberate attempt to ascertain the weakest bending point. This doesn't qualify as normal usage.

Second, let's examine your reference to substandard design on another item that will cost you at least as much as a new iPhone 6+ should you need to repair or replace it after sitting upon it. And that item is your car's front hood. I drive a 2007 Acura TSX. A very nice, near luxury model that is built well. It's front hood is designed to serve several uses. It covers the engine bay, keeping debris out and protecting people from the hot engine, spinning cooling fan blade, electrics, etc. it streamlines the leading edge of the car, ensuring it moves through the air efficiently. And it adds to an esthetically pleasing front facia. If I drive my car to the local fairgrounds, park it there and then I and maybe a girlfriend or friend decide to plop ourselves down on the front hood to watch the fireworks show, I promise you that my late model Acura's hood will bend inward under our weight (I'm only 160lbs, with 105lb girlfriend). If it were a forty year old car? No problem. Back in the seventies we'd sit up on the hoods of our vehicles when parked at the beach or at an outdoor outing with cars pulled up on the grass and people playing volleyball and grilling out at a state park. Today's cars aren't designed with sitting on the hood in mind. Does that imply this is substandard design? Or that your car hood just isn't designed for that purpose. So if you wouldn't sit on your 2014 model car hood out of concern you may leave a bend or indentation, what makes you think your smartphone should be designed to withstand such treatment?
  • Reply 64 of 167
    malax wrote: »
    And this part part is just BS. Show me a video where someone "with little effort" is able to bend any iPhone.

I said, "If". Would you agree that something is wrong IF it's easy to bend by exploiting a weak spot?

I tend to have a distrust of large corporations to give "facts", especially if they might impact profits. In my own experience I have seen lies by omission, sometimes borne from incompetence rather than malice.
  • Reply 65 of 167
    emoeric87 wrote: »
    I would rather have an iPhone 6 Plus sharpened into a dagger to cut off all my fingers and toes, at a rate of one per hour, while listening to Michael Bublé in a drunken despair, consoling himself in song on the toilet, in a Carnival Cruise ship run aground in Antarctica, than buy a Samsung phone.
    Some people just know how to party!
  • Reply 66 of 167
    I disagree with you on two points. First, you cannot bend an iPhone 6+ with little effort. It takes considerable effort and either knowledge of where it's weakest bending point resides on the phone (which we've all now been educated about via online videos) or some deliberate attempt to ascertain the weakest bending point. This doesn't wualify as normal usage.

Second, let's examine your reference to substandard design on another item that will cost you at least as much as a new iPhone 6+ should you need to repair or replace it after sitting upon it. And that item is your car's front hood. I drive a 2007 Acura TSX. A very nice, near luxury model that is built well. It's front hood is designed to serve several uses. It covers the engine bay, keeping debris out and protecting people from the hot engine, spinning cooling fan blade, electrics, etc. it streamlines the leading edge of the car, ensuring it moves through the air efficiently. And it adds to an esthetically pleasing front facia. If I drive my car to the local fairgrounds, park it there and then I and maybe a girlfriend or friend decide to plop ourselves down on the front hood to watch the fireworks show, I promise you that my late model Acura's hood will bend inward under our weight (I'm only 160lbs, with 105lb girlfriend). If it were a forty year old car? No problem. Back in the seventies we'd sit up on the hoods of our vehicles when parked at the beach or at an outdoor outing with cars pulled up on the grass and people playing volleyball and grilling out at a state park. Today's cars aren't designed with sitting on the hood in mind. Does that imply this is substandard design? Or that your car hood just isn't designed for that purpose. So if you wouldn't sit on your 2014 model car hood out of concern you may leave a bend or indentation, what makes you think your smartphone should be designed to withstand such treatment?

First, I truly hope you are right about the effort needed to bend the thing. Please remember that I said "if" it is easy to bend.

Second, I have an Acura TSX, too, and it might entertain you to know I dented the hood the first day I had it. I have a shelf above my side of the garage where I store, among other things, plastic containers for mixing antifreeze. Well, I thought, I'd better move this one container so as not to fall on the car. And as I attempted to grab it, it fell onto the hood and created a small dent. But, I think your analogy is flawed unless you are asserting that the latest phones should not be stored in one's pockets like the old ones were.
  • Reply 67 of 167
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    This is the same note 4 that hasn't been released and no one can buy yet that was announced a month ago in a desperate attempt to try to tamper iphone sales?

Samsung is a joke. The only bigger jokes are Samsung users
  • Reply 68 of 167
    helia wrote: »
    I don't understand, why people would sit with such enormous phones on their back pockets?! Wallet is quite different as it is made of leather and is soft, but rigid HUGE phones on back? You are wearing it wrong, don't you?

They are dumb , unemployed idiots who should be using cheap Androids?
  • Reply 69 of 167
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

What's the best designed iPhone to date?

I haven't yet seen the 6 and 6 Plus in the flesh, but otherwise, I'd be inclined to say the original iPhone of 2007.

You haven't even seen one in the flesh, and yet you're one of the biggest supporters and spammers of "bendgate" on this forum. I don't expect you to apologize of course, even though bendgate has proven to be a complete sham. But yeah, keep ragging on an imagined flaw of a phone you have no interest in even seeing or touching, let alone buying. The rest of us, that actually happily own the device (and the 20,000,000 or so others) and use it every day, know that this FUD is bullshit.

Only in delusional fantasies is the purposeful bending of an ultra thin phone, caused by bending with enough pressure to drain the blood out of your fingers (as evidenced in all the videos) considered a "flaw". 

• Reply 70 of 167
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    First, I truly hope you are right about the effort needed to bend the thing. Please remember that I said "if" it is easy to bend.

Second, I have an Acura TSX, too, and it might entertain you to know I dented the hood the first day I had it. I have a shelf above my side of the garage where I store, among other things, plastic containers for mixing antifreeze. Well, I thought, I'd better move this one container so as not to fall on the car. And as I attempted to grab it, it fell onto the hood and created a small dent. But, I think your analogy is flawed unless you are asserting that the latest phones should not be stored in one's pockets like the old ones were.

Why don't people understand it's glass and metal? Would people just casually put a CF bulb in their back pockets?

1. Don't sit on your phone.
    2. If you can't feel the phone in your front pocket pushing against your body, then wow.
    3. It's s $600+ phone. Take care of it.
  • Reply 71 of 167
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator

I am asserting exactly that and more.

You just should not be sitting on an expensive consumer electronic device and never should have. Just the fact that the screens are bonded to the device should tell you this.  How much pressure do people imagine the bonding interface should take?  Even the Youtube guy saw screens breaking free from the frame on ALL THE PHONES HE TESTED.  Isn't that alone reason not to be sitting on these things!  "Oh, I'm okay if sitting on my phone creates audible cracks at the screen bonding interface, but heaven forbid the case should bend and not flex back into place."  People are fooling themselves to think that flexing these other handsets doesn't have the potential to destroy the working components just because when they take it back out of their pocket the plastic chassis has sustained no permanent bend.

If the Unbox Therapy guy had made his Youtube video in August, before the iPhone 6/6+ shipped, with just the other phones he tested (Note 3, HTC, and Moto X) his report would have more pronouncedly highlighted the audible cracking and visible separation of the displays from the phones'  chassis and he would have made the general point that if you sit on any of these phones you risk breaking the bond between the display and the chassis.  He might have concluded that this is suggestive of potential damage to other components within the phones and he might have suggested that people use a bit of forethought and not put their expensive electronics in their back pocket to avoid the risk of damaging them from either intentionally or accidentally sitting down upon them.
  • Reply 72 of 167
    1. the guy was simply sitting on the phone, the phone wasn't in his back pocket so naturally it doesn't bend.

2. no bench press test? where buffed guys use their full strength to flex and bend the phone.

how is that even a stab at the iP6+? If anything it validates that the iP6+'s "bendgate" is FUD and that even the Note 4 cannot survive the kind of bending "test" users subject the iP6+ to, hence the omitting of the same kind of "test" on the Note 4
  • Reply 73 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I thought this was a good ad because they addressed the social issue (it's irrelevant if it's a real issue or not) in a fun and entertaining way without mentioning Apple or their devices, even though that is the clear target. This actually scares me because the Samsung ads that were taking potshots at Apple's customers reeked of desperation that in no way did I fear they could ever be number one.
  • Reply 74 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    reiszrie wrote: »
    1. the guy was simply sitting on the phone, the phone wasn't in his back pocket so naturally it doesn't bend.

It's not meant to be a accurate test. I see it as a way to capitalize on a social issue with a humourous "mom jeans" ass in a lab.
  • Reply 75 of 167
    jonl wrote: »
    FWIW, I've had a 5th gen iPod Touch for the last two years. It's 6.1 mm thick vs 6.9 for the iPhone 6 and 7.1 for the 6 Plus, so it is substantially thinner than both new phones. It was flat when I bought it, and it is still flat. I would be surprised if I couldn't bend it, and that was the obvious thought the first time I held it. The very first time I put it in a pants pocket, I noticed it could rotate or ride up in certain ways when sitting that not only put obvious stress on the device, they were uncomfortable for me. So, I made sure it didn't do those things when carrying it in a pocket. Potential problem avoided. That said, as with the iPhone 5 and now the 6, there has been no shortage of people claiming their Touches "spontaneously bent" when carried in a pocket or purse. The reality is, it is a rare problem, and within that universe of rare events, it is rarer still for it to be "spontaneous", if it's ever happened at all.

What's up with this spontaneous bs? A delivery truck pulls up to my house. One of the workers jumps out and sees me holding my 6+. He says how do I like it then says his bent and he took it back for another one.. I said really? How did it bend? He said he was walking "at the mall" with it in his pocket lol.. I said did you sit on it? Did you drop it? He said no it was just in his pocket lolololol!

I looked at him in disbelief and said "your iPhone just bent sitting in your pocket - walking at the mall....???!!" I'm like YEAH RIGHT! ????
  • Reply 76 of 167
    I'm half drunk, so ...
    Aw c'mon, don't underestimate yourself!
  • Reply 77 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Who really cares about all of this, crap? It'll pass and all of us who actually own an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus will continue along as we are and always have. And in a month or so, this will all blow over.

It will be filed away in the collective troll memory, to be used again whenever cherry-picked examples are needed to support a concern troll argument. Like iPhone 4 antenna-gate and iPhone 5 scuff-gate.

• Reply 78 of 167
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

The pace at which they've attempted to capitalise on this schadenfreude reeks of desperation. I have to assume this is a concocted situation because Samsung et al are terrified about conceding the large screen advantage. I guarantee you there were crisis talks analysing ways Android OEMs could spike the release of Apple’s new baby. They can’t afford to stop using plastic and they don’t have the engineering prowess to match the features/design of the iPhone 6 at this thickness; why not play up the durability angle?

• Reply 79 of 167
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Ahh, samsung, the Jan Brady of the tech world.

"Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!"

"Apple! Apple! Apple!"
  • Reply 80 of 167

Apple should run an ad showing how everything fits together so well.   End the ad with "no gap here".