Samsung riffs on iPhone 6 'Bendgate' woes in new Galaxy Note 4 ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
True to form, Samsung on Thursday released a commercial touting the new Galaxy Note 4 phablet by capitalizing on negative reports criticizing Apple's latest iPhone 6 models for being too "bendy."

While the ad, titled "Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Endures the Gluteus Maximus," fails to mention Apple's iPhone 6 by name, Samsung is clearly targeting so-called "Bendgate" issues that have been the topic of recent media reports.

In the spot, Samsung performs a three-point bend test, showing the Note 4 can sustain about 25 kilograms of force without permanently deforming. Apple presented an identical test -- with identical results -- during a rare press tour of a California product testing facility.

A follow-up report by Consumer Reports subjected the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus to the same "three-point flexural" assessment, which showed the handsets can withstand 60 pounds of force (about 27 kgf) and 90 pounds of force (about 41 kgf), respectively. That test found Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 takes substantial force without bending until the screen shatters at 150 pounds of pressure (approximately 68 kgf).

Samsung goes on to show the Note 4 being put through a human weight test meant to simulate forces exerted on a phone if it were to be sat upon while being carried in a user's back pocket. The ad then runs runs through a list of build features that supposedly add to the handset's durability, including a metal frame, magnesium brackets and "mutually reinforcing structure between parts."

The spot ends with the tag line, "The Galaxy Note 4 is big, thin and light but strong."

According to reports, iPhone 6 Plus owners have experienced bending problems even when the handset is in their front pocket, though Apple said last week it had only received nine complaints regarding the issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 167
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    And rightfully so. Apple should be ashamed for their step backward in durability. If Jony Ive didn't have the proper materials to make such a thin metal device then he should've compromised for the sake of structural integrity.
  • Reply 2 of 167
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

How does Samsung's test demonstrate greater strength, when both Samsung and Apple test to the same 25 kg of force? This video makes Samsung look like wimps.

• Reply 3 of 167
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Don't hold it that way.
  • Reply 4 of 167
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Every Samsung phone is permanently damaged during manufacture; the moment they install Android on it.
  • Reply 5 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Don't hold it that way.

DOnt try to bend that way!

• Reply 6 of 167
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

And rightfully so. Apple should be ashamed for their step backward in durability. If Jony Ive didn't have the proper materials to make such a thin metal device then he should've compromised for the sake of structural integrity.

Oh, **** off. Bend-gate has been exposed for the manufactured sham that it is, on multiple levels, so keep beating that dead horse like the blatant troll that you are. You should be ashamed for being such an intellectually dishonest liar. Jony Ive has nothing to be ashamed of, since he designed what is universally considered the best phone on the market right now- by a long shot.  Not a SINGLE review has mentioned any kind of bending, and not a SINGLE empirical testing has proven its an issue.  All we have left is trolls like you, and people purposely being iPhones so they can spam the images and video online, as well as all the desperate competition who fell over themselves in order to latch onto this lie. You're a troll, and the rest of your posts prove that. 

Expected and pathetic move by Samsung, clinging onto this out of utter desperation. Probably their trashiest and most amateurish ad yet, looks like it was put together with a free movie maker in 10 min.

Especially in the light of the REAL manufacturing defect of its' Galaxy Alpha phone, the massive gap between the screen and the body, which it even documented as a flaw. 

• Reply 7 of 167
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

I don't understand, why people would sit with such enormous phones on their back pockets?! Wallet is quite different as it is made of leather and is soft, but rigid HUGE phones on back? You are wearing it wrong, don't you?

• Reply 8 of 167
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Oh, **** off. Bend-gate has been exposed for the manufactured sham that it is, on multiple levels, so keep beating that dead horse like the blatant troll that you are. You should be ashamed for being such an intellectually dishonest liar. Jony Ive has nothing to be ashamed of, since he designed what is universally considered the best phone on the market right now- by a long shot.  Not a SINGLE review has mentioned any kind of bending, and not a SINGLE empirical testing has proven its an issue.  All we have left is trolls like you, and people purposely being iPhones so they can spam the images and video online, as well as all the desperate competition who fell over themselves in order to latch onto this lie. You're a troll, and the rest of your posts prove that
    I was posting here before you even discovered this website. My posts prove nothing other than my lack of sycophancy in regard to Apple.

Bendgate is real and it's not going anywhere unless Apple changes the design and strengthens the weak point near the volume buttons where the fractures occur.

And regardless of Bendgate, the CR testing showed that both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are more fragile than the iPhone 5 (which I proudly own). So bending aside, you can't argue the fact that the 6 is a step backward in durability from the phone it replaced.
  • Reply 9 of 167

I would rather have an iPhone 6 Plus sharpened into a dagger to cut off all my fingers and toes, at a rate of one per hour, while listening to Michael Bublé in a drunken despair, consoling himself in song on the toilet, in a Carnival Cruise ship run aground in Antarctica, than buy a Samsung phone.

• Reply 10 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, **** off. Bend-gate has been exposed for the manufactured sham that it is, on multiple levels, so keep beating that dead horse like the blatant troll that you are. You should be ashamed for being such an intellectually dishonest liar. Jony Ive has nothing to be ashamed of, since he designed what is universally considered the best phone on the market right now- by a long shot.  Not a SINGLE review has mentioned any kind of bending, and not a SINGLE empirical testing has proven its an issue.  All we have left is trolls like you, and people purposely being iPhones so they can spam the images and video online, as well as all the desperate competition who fell over themselves in order to latch onto this lie. You're a troll, and the rest of your posts prove that. 

Expected and pathetic move by Samsung, clinging onto this out of utter desperation. Probably their trashiest and most amateurish ad yet, looks like it was put together with a free movie maker in 10 min.

Especially in the light of the REAL manufacturing defect of its' Galaxy Alpha phone, the massive gap between the screen and the body, which it even documented as a flaw. 

If bending the iphones was 'purposeful', as you say, then there's no reason the anti-Apple crowd couldn't have done it with the 5S or any other previous phone.  Some folks noticed their new iPhone 6's bending.  Someone showed in a video how he could do it pretty easily with his bare hands.  Consumer Reports shows that the 6 is a fair bit less rigid than the 5 or other popular phones, and slotted in slightly above the worst, the HTC One M8.

I think the original poster's comment was valid.  Ive and Co. have driven styling requirements to such levels that they finally made a structurally weak phone.

iPhone 6 is a great phone, but handle 'my precious' with care.....

• Reply 11 of 167
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

I was posting here before you even discovered this website. My posts prove nothing other than my lack of sycophancy in regard to Apple.

Bendgate is real and it's not going anywhere unless Apple changes the design and strengthens the weak point near the volume buttons where the fractures occur.

And regardless of Bendgate, the CR testing showed that both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are more fragile than the iPhone 5 (which I proudly own). So bending aside, you can't argue the fact that the 6 is a step backward in durability from the phone it replaced.

Hey Buddy, a phone only needs to serve its intended purpose, nothing else; you seem deluded about what engineering is suppose to do. So please give a rest or buy Samsung phone and take a hike.

• Reply 12 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Slurpy already covered it, so just shut up.

I was posting here before you even discovered this website.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MOMMY I CAN’T DUNK MY IPHONE IN WATER WITHOUT IT BREAKING WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I WANT TO USE MY PHONE UNDERWATER

• Reply 13 of 167
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member
    The iPhone (as with other Apple products) have exceptional build quality. Apple tested the 6 and found that it withstood up to 90 pounds of force.

Samsung's answer to the iPhone 6 is a device of lesser build quality that has a seam at the edge of the screen that, with the combination of operating heat and time, will continue to expand.

They are eager to show their backside, but they are not quite so willing to show their crack.
  • Reply 14 of 167
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member

According to reports, iPhone 6 Plus owners have experienced bending problems even when the handset is in their front pocket, though Apple said last week it had only received <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/25/apple-tries-to-close-iphone-6-plus-bend-gate-as-fashionistas-come-to-grips-with-larger-iphones">nine complaints</a> regarding the issue.
    macvicta wrote: »

That's correct. The iPhone 6 is easier to "bend" than the 5 however based on data of real wold usage the number of customers actually reporting issues is incredibly small. I'm sure that number would have grown a bit with all the idiots out there trying to bend their new phones but at this point in time there's no concrete evidence to illustrate it's an issue in real world usage. The CR testing you sighted clearly identifies the 6 fits in the middle of the pack compared to other similar high end smartphones and yet no one has seemed to have an issue with their phone bending until the 6 was released. Based on the CR testing it would take an excessive amount of force to bend the phone compared to what would occur in real world usage.

If the phone is easily bent during real world usage then it's an issue. However there is no concrete evidence of this. Apple would be stupid to compromise on the function/design of the phone simply to prevent 9 people from having bent phones.
  • Reply 15 of 167
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    Cheesy, sad, pathetic... 'Creative' like this and the Samsung social attacks on Apple only denigrate what little of Samsung's respect remains, tragic but just.
  • Reply 16 of 167
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Instead of a sideways jab, they should just run with the data.

The Note 4 can withstand more than twice the force of the iPhone 6 before bending.

The actual numbers they withstand and all the bickering from both sides is pretty meaningless.  The phone is released.  The only test that is going to matter is whether a year from now you have thousands of iPhone users with bent phones or not.

• Reply 17 of 167
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

iPhone 6 is a great phone, but handle 'my precious' with care.....

Yes, the iPhone 6 is a great phone.  And of course, it should be handled with the same care any $900 device made of glass and aluminum should be handled.

• Reply 18 of 167
    dbhdbh Posts: 41member

same thing is happening between architects and engineers... architects make sure the design is good... engineers make sure it is structurally sound... does most architect think about how structurally good their designs are?? i don't think so...

so going back to Apple... is Ive the architect doing the design or is he the engineer or is he both?? if he is not both, then why blame the guy??

• Reply 19 of 167
    As usual, Samsung making desperate pathetic moves. Pathetic. Pathetic I tell you...
  • Reply 20 of 167
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    buckalec wrote: »
    Cheesy, sad, pathetic... 'Creative' like this and the Samsung social attacks on Apple only denigrate what little of Samsung's respect remains, tragic but just.
    'Cheesy' is right. Looks like it was made by highschool student 20 years ago. And the music... Ta-ackee!