Samsung riffs on iPhone 6 'Bendgate' woes in new Galaxy Note 4 ad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    relic wrote: »
    I played with the iPhone 6 Plus for a good hour or so, yeah its nice, never said it wasn't, art, it is not though.

I could definitely make an argument for Apple products being an "expression or application of human creative skill" but you can do that with pretty much everything manmade.
    Why is it so hard to understand that I like unique gadgets,

Nothing wrong with that.
    everyone has an iPhone nowadays,

1) I'm not sure why that matter when it comes to practically of a device.

2) And yet I keep hearing that Android is winning.
    I've always gone against the stream.

1) Now this I don't get. You want to be different for the sake of being different?

2) In my youth I dated girls that were different for the sake of being different; ironically, they were all the same. :p
    iOS is also still missing some key elements before I could ever use the iPhone as my everyday driver.

Now that I do get. It's a legitimate reason for not choosing any tool.
    Built in filemanager

It's there. Just jailbreak if you want access to it. Much easier that trying to root most Android-based devices.
    able to run more then 3 apps at once as long as I need them to run,

Side-by-side? If so, why? If you mean running on the device, iOS has allowed that for years in a very intelligent and power-saving way.
    2GB of memory

1) The only thing I hear ever runs out of RAM is Safari on the iPad with too many tabs open which causes a page refresh, but I'm not sure that's actually a RAM issue. I base this on an old article about the iPad's Safari (which i'll try to dig up later).

2) This RAM (or CPU or other HW) issue seems to be the same mentality that some people had when comparing Windows to Mac OS. Different OSes have different resource requirements, especially when you factor in an OS that was designed to work on very specific HW. It's odd that Apple's A-series chips have HW features that aren't found in any Android-based device and yet these are mentioned. It's only the broad strokes of RAM amount (who cares about type, performance, or power usage?¡) and CPU cores and clock rate (who cares about architecture, performance and power usage?!).
    apps need to communicate a little better the they currently do,

There is certainly a lot of room to grow but I'm not sure what you could be referring to that Android is totally nailing it on. You also have to consider security. It's easy to create an open system, but not so easy to make one that is both usable and safe. Desktop OSes have been horrible with security. What I mean is, once you install an app it can have access to pretty much anything in user space once it's running. It's only been a few years since Apple had Mac OS X ask for permission before letting an app access your contacts. I was shocked at the number and types of apps that want access to it.
    able to choose my default web browser and the rest of the Apple apps that I can't change it's default status, etc. i

On this we can agree, even though I'm happy with Safari. If you ever use AirDrop from a Mac to an iDevice it will decide where those files go based on their extension. I really don't want Dropbox opening up when I try to import a .DOC.
    iOS has goten a lot better and I defiantly love using my iPad for music creation but it's still a little too restrictive for me, at least for everyday use, rignt now, maybe next year.

Look at you, using art to create art.
  • Reply 122 of 167
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see this as being any different than Apple taking advantage of the stereotype of the WinPC in their brilliant Get A Mac ad campaign.

Except that in the fact that the quality comparison of a Windows PC and an Apple iPhone isn't even close.  That was back in the day of Windows PCs crashing and having virus problems.  Apple was jumping on things in their campaign which is true.  But honestly Samsung vs iPhone is high quality VS high quality.  Where as Windows PC vs Mac is: re-install your OS every month VS use your OS for a whole year or more.

• Reply 123 of 167
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I was posting here before you even discovered this website. My posts prove nothing other than my lack of sycophancy in regard to Apple.

Bendgate is real and it's not going anywhere unless Apple changes the design and strengthens the weak point near the volume buttons where the fractures occur.

And regardless of Bendgate, the CR testing showed that both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are more fragile than the iPhone 5 (which I proudly own). So bending aside, you can't argue the fact that the 6 is a step backward in durability from the phone it replaced.

And I was posting here 6 years before you discovered this website.  True story.  I've seen many a troll come and go during nearly 15 years of posting here.  If you're not trolling, then you actually believe what you write...which means you're simply ignorant.  

The entire "bendgate scandal" is manufactured.  It's even more so than "antenna-gate."  At this point it should be obvious that Samsung's marketing department is run by a bunch of millennial smartasses who create ads for their fanboy supporters.  Their ads are snarky, arrogant, and pointless.  They've also been known to sponsor media stunts directed at Apple (such as their weird "picketing" of sorts with Apple's stores a few years back).   This "bendgate" controversy has all the markings associated with a deliberate negative PR campaign, likely started by Samsung and other Android manufacturers.  I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft had something to do with it, even though they make a competing platform.  The enemy of their enemy is their frienemy.  

Bottom line?  The controversy is complete BS.  It's also backfired big time, because it did exactly what antenna-gate did...spark even more interest in the product.  

• Reply 124 of 167
    Not one Gatorguy post defending Apple against the FUD I see! :no:

Does this surprise you?
  • Reply 125 of 167
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    macvicta wrote: »
    And rightfully so. Apple should be ashamed for their step backward in durability. If Jony Ive didn't have the proper materials to make such a thin metal device then he should've compromised for the sake of structural integrity.

Try to improve your reading comprehension skills. Every reliable source has indicated that this is a non-issue and an extremely rare occurrence with only a handful of cases, out of 10's of millions, when it has occurred.
  • Reply 126 of 167
    sdw2001 wrote: »
    Bottom line?  The controversy is complete BS.  It's also backfired big time, because it did exactly what antenna-gate did...spark even more interest in the product.  

What's complete BS is that this did not create a bend-gate for the HTC One m8.
  • Reply 127 of 167
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

And rightfully so. Apple should be ashamed for their step backward in durability. If Jony Ive didn't have the proper materials to make such a thin metal device then he should've compromised for the sake of structural integrity.

That's the difference between being a designer and an engineer.  Apple needs some good structural engineers to work with Jony Ive.

• Reply 128 of 167
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see this as being any different than Apple taking advantage of the stereotype of the WinPC in their brilliant Get A Mac ad campaign.

That stereotype was based on a decade of crashing and virus problems. It was well known that the dominant PC marketshare also brought many problems with it that allowed Macs to become the problem-free alternative underdog.

Samsung is jumping on a 1 1/2 week old story that was proven false by 3rd party testing. In the U.S., Samsung sells almost as many high end phones as Apple. Worldwide, Samsung sells many more phones than Apple. They are attacking the underdog and when you do that, you only create marketing opportunities for your competitor by educating all of your own customers. It's a marketing 101 failure based on Samsung's desperation.

• Reply 129 of 167
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... uh, oh, I didn't want to bring that up. lol

Yes, and the Iphone was designed for that, and not falling on his phone with the phone in his pocket... Next!

• Reply 130 of 167
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

That's the difference between being a designer and an engineer.  Apple needs some good structural engineers to work with Jony Ive.

And they got probably dozens, unless you think the quick hand drawn plan an architect does is what actually gets built?

• Reply 131 of 167
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    sdw2001 wrote: »

What's complete BS is that this did not create a bend-gate for the HTC One m8.

That question has been posed repeatedly, and gone totally unanswered by the benders. It's like it doesn't exist.
  • Reply 132 of 167
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Is it just me that thinks that Sumsung has just opened themselves up to a huge class action lawsuit when the Note 4 ships? They just put into an advertisement that it is ok for you to sit on their phone. As a matter of fact, that opening sequence gas someone bouncing up and down with a phone in their rear pocket.

Beyond just having to replace bent or broken phones, what is going to happen when someone bounces on their phone and the screen shatters and cuts someone's bottom?

Stupid, stupid, stupid short-sighted ad unless they are absolutely sure it won't break ... Under any circumstances ...
  • Reply 133 of 167
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    wigby wrote: »

That stereotype was based on a decade of crashing and virus problems. It was well known that the dominant PC marketshare also brought many problems with it that allowed Macs to become the problem-free alternative underdog.

Samsung is jumping on a 1 1/2 week old story that was proven false by 3rd party testing. In the U.S., Samsung sells almost as many high end phones as Apple. Worldwide, Samsung sells many more phones than Apple. They are attacking the underdog and when you do that, you only create marketing opportunities for your competitor by educating all of your own customers. It's a marketing 101 failure based on Samsung's desperation.

Absolutely agree. Samsung doesn't do things by accident. They have been in panic mode since the original iPhone was introduced. Their panic increased exponentially with the release of the iPhone 4. I am convinced that Samsung had at least something to do with antenna-gate. Since then, the exponential panic machine has been in full swing. They peaked out this fall by pushing up the release date for the Note 4, and obviously by engaging in the phony bendgate nonsense. They are rightfully scared shitless of the iPhone 6.
  • Reply 134 of 167
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Originally Posted by digitalclips:

Not one Gatorguy post defending Apple against the FUD I see! 1oyvey.gif
    Does this surprise you?

Other than 4 hours prior to your comment? I'm surprised you wouldn't bother to see if I did if it was important enough for you to comment on.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182649/samsung-riffs-on-iphone-6-bendgate-woes-in-new-galaxy-note-4-ad/80#post_2612321
  • Reply 135 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Yes, and the Iphone was designed for that, and not falling on his phone with the phone in his pocket... Next!

That wasn't the point.

Read through the threads... probably in this one as well... you'll find a few people saying that the iPhone 6+ is such a snowflake that it should be treated with care and not stuck in pockets, especially back pockets... and that is from the proApple camp.

That was our point about mentioning what Tim Allen did with his Passport.

Next!

• Reply 136 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Slurpy already covered it, so just shut up.

I was posting here before you even discovered this website.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MOMMY I CAN’T DUNK MY IPHONE IN WATER WITHOUT IT BREAKING WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I WANT TO USE MY PHONE UNDERWATER

"so just shut up"  

No one says it better than yourself.  Perhaps you should listen to yourself more often.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MOMMY I CAN’T DUNK MY IPHONE IN WATER WITHOUT IT BREAKING WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I WANT TO USE MY PHONE UNDERWATER"

What does any of this have to do with water?  What on earth is wrong with you?  

• Reply 137 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

My guess is that you haven't seen the 6 or the 6 plus "in the flesh" either. By "either" I mean you and Benjamin Frost and a couple of other random bender-heads here.

I think you do a great disservice to yourself by denigrating Relic.

Some people might deserve a little punishment but the vast majority of people on this site don't even come close to Relic's knowledge of computers, computing and all that goes along with it... so any criticisms should at least have some substance.

You might want to reread some of her posts.

Otherwise you just make yourself look bad.

[ oh, yeah... jmho ]

+1

Not sure I can say anything more, so I won't.  

Well said indeed.

• Reply 138 of 167

I've had my 6 since the 19th of September. It's in my pocket 10 hours a day easy. No case. No bends.

I will say that this phone has an amazing feel to it, in the hand. I wouldn't dream of putting it in a case.

• Reply 139 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I played with the iPhone 6 Plus for a good hour or so, yeah its nice, never said it wasn't, art, it is not though. Why is it so hard to understand that I like unique gadgets, everyone has an iPhone nowadays, I've always gone against the stream. iOS is also still missing some key elements before I could ever use the iPhone as my everyday driver. Buit in filemanager, able to run more then 3 apps at once as long as I need them to run, 2GB of memory, apps need to communicate a little better the they currently do, able to choose my default web browser and the rest of the Apple apps that I can't change it's default status, etc. iOS has goten a lot better and I defiantly love using my iPad for music creation but it's still a little too restrictive for me, at least for everyday use, rignt now, maybe next year.

You are CLEARLY on the wrong site. The troll bridge is just to the left.

• Reply 140 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

You are CLEARLY on the wrong sit. The troll bridge is just to the left.

Show us what you know, buddy.

SolipsismX did a good job of it... so let's see how you do.