Samsung warns of massive 60% decline in profits for Q3, cites stiff smartphone competition

16781012

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

     

     

    Would you be saying that if Samsung was just now catching up to a larger iPhone? I think this forum would be bashing them for copying that too, which would be true, just as it's true now, of Apple.


     

    No I wouldn't. Since when has a larger screen been an innovation? Apple made an enormous Cinema Display for Macs but I wouldn't think of that as innovation. It was a tidy and well thought out high quality screen, but innovation ... no. A 30" display that you can roll up and run from two AA batteries - that's innovation!

  • Reply 182 of 222
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    icoco3 wrote: »

    Yup, some people with jump the gun and forget to make sure they understand what they are saying.  Sorry Mr Spam, to late to duck the egg.

    Im not the one who said there was a connection between Samsung and GE.
  • Reply 183 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

     

     

    No I wouldn't. Since when has a larger screen been an innovation? Apple made an enormous Cinema Display for Macs but I wouldn't think of that as innovation. It was a tidy and well thought out high quality screen, but innovation ... no. A 30" display that you can roll up and run from two AA batteries - that's innovation!


     

    This is true, but the fact that it's a smart phone, and not a screen, changes things a bit. Innovation or not, someone made a decision and took a risk to really challenge the form-factor traditions of smart phones. I don't imagine too many people cringed the first time they saw a Cinema Display in person like some do when they see one of these larger phones.

  • Reply 184 of 222
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This is true, but the fact that it's a smart phone, and not a screen, changes things a bit. Innovation or not, someone made a decision and took a risk to really challenge the form-factor traditions of smart phones. I don't imagine too many people cringed the first time they saw a Cinema Display in person like some do when they see one of these larger phones.

    Sammy didn't take a risk. It used a shotgun approach to products to see what sticks.
  • Reply 185 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Sammy didn't take a risk. It used a shotgun approach to products to see what sticks.

     

    I would say that's a risk :)

  • Reply 186 of 222
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Not much of a risk considering Samdung makes 90 different phones a year.  They were bound to trip over a hot screen size.

    Except that their better selling phones aren't the big screen ones.
  • Reply 187 of 222
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poke View Post

     

    Samsung had the opportunity to make the most of its Android dominance and it blew it. It had to fork. It could've stolen Android from Google. Instead it let Google take Android back and now it's paying the price. However, it's doubtful that Android will ever find another Samsung and the platform is probably facing pronounced decline. The Android manufacturers that are gaining ground are Chinese and don't even use Google's services in their home territory. No non-Chinese manufacturer has Samsung's clout.


    you're on to something. but what SS really needed, forked android or not, was its own ecosystem. and it made feeble attempts to develop one, but ultimately gave up. so it remains dependent on Google's just like all the other first-world OEM's, and trapped in their collective profit race to the bottom. the new cheap-o OEM's are really making feature/web phones no matter how smart they technically are, and their immense second/third world markets don't need any single ecosystem, relying instead on localized web services that can still be huge, like Ali Baba in China.

     

    it's clear by now that building a successful comprehensive ecosystem is really, really hard. only Apple and Google have achieved it. MS has one in theory but it just never jells. others like Amazon have partial setups that are too narrow for broad appeal. and anyway, all their services are pretty much relevant to first world customers only (including big first-world "islands" in China and elsewhere).

     

    so what will Google do? it's Android Army is starving profit-wise, can't go on like that forever. they are falling by the wayside one-by-one (Sony could be next). the break-away independent Android forces are eating well, but they don't send any of their booty back to Google HQ. maybe SS's best business plan is to wind up just being the last one left.

  • Reply 188 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

     

    you're on to something. but what SS really needed, forked android or not, was its own ecosystem. and it made feeble attempts to develop one, but ultimately gave up. so it remains dependent on Google's just like all the other first-world OEM's, and trapped in their collective profit race to the bottom. the new cheap-o OEM's are really making feature/web phones no matter how smart they technically are, and their immense second/third world markets don't need any single ecosystem, relying instead on localized web services that can still be huge, like Ali Baba in China.

     

    it's clear by now that building a successful comprehensive ecosystem is really, really hard. only Apple and Google have achieved it. MS has one in theory but it just never jells. others like Amazon have partial setups that are too narrow for broad appeal. and anyway, all their services are pretty much relevant to first world customers only (including big first-world "islands" in China and elsewhere).

     

    so what will Google do? it's Android Army is starving profit-wise, can't go on like that forever. they are falling by the wayside one-by-one (Sony could be next). the break-away independent Android forces are eating well, but they don't send any of their booty back to Google HQ. maybe SS's best business plan is to wind up just being the last one left.


     

    Pretty similar to the PC market. Margins on low and mid-range desktop systems are so slim that Best Buy has to take profit by giving away color printers with PCs just so they can sell ink, $15 USB cables, and bloatware removal services.

     

    Android is totally going the way of the PC, with dominant distribution among users, a fragmented experience, and some challenging economics for the hardware vendors and retailers. Apple will retain a solid chunk of the well-heeled buyers with a well-managed enjoyable user experience. Android will get a bunch of cheap-skates and a separate vocal minority who know how to really exercise the platform into a uniquely powerful tool. So, the Android device manufacturers will make (less) money off of volume to the masses, and a few gems for the power users.

  • Reply 189 of 222
    Samsung may now trying to copy apple once again. They were so profitable before only for one reason: copied apple.
  • Reply 190 of 222
    canukstorm wrote: »
    This calls for a celebration


    Samsung may now trying to copy apple once again. They were so profitable before only for one reason: copied apple.
  • Reply 191 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pharmkid02 View Post





    Samsung may now trying to copy apple once again. They were so profitable before only for one reason: copied apple.

    What product from Apple they copied before?

  • Reply 192 of 222

    ^ seriously? What rock did you just crawl from under?

    iphone, ipad...

    let me guess - you think it was just the natural progression of the form factor, and interface for smartphones and tablets, right?

  • Reply 193 of 222
    Originally Posted by MasterChat View Post

    What product from Apple they copied before?



    0/1; this is terrible trolling.

  • Reply 194 of 222
    masterchat wrote: »
    What product from Apple they copied before?

    Huh? Are you serious? Where have you been? In a cave?
  • Reply 195 of 222
    pharmkid02 wrote: »
    Huh? Are you serious? Where have you been? In a cave?

    If you can believe it, there are many Samsung owners that I have spoken to who actually believe that Samsung is the market leader and Apple copies off of them. Can you believe that?! Comments regarding the iPhone 6 were, "Just another thing for Samsung to gloat about that they had first," and, "Oh man, what is Apple gonna steal next?" I was honestly speechless (at first, anyway) from their ignorance.
  • Reply 196 of 222
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MasterChat View Post

     

    What product from Apple they copied before?




    Their vacuum cleaner.

     

    Oh, wait, that they copied from Dyson...

  • Reply 197 of 222
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,389member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

    Their vacuum cleaner.

    Oh, wait, that they copied from Dyson...

    That ended up as one strange story, with Sammy actually being the one to sue Dyson.
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/17/5418616/samsung-sues-dyson-following-intolerable-copycat-claims
  • Reply 198 of 222
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    That ended up as one strange story, with Sammy actually being the one to sue Dyson.

    http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/17/5418616/samsung-sues-dyson-following-intolerable-copycat-claims



    Hurt feelings being litigated? The consumer products world has some strange corners...

  • Reply 199 of 222
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    thedba wrote: »
    I don't buy the "If it wasn't for the competition...Apple wouldn't have...." argument.
    Let's take a look at recent history.

    Before 2007, all the competition was doing is trying to make a better BlackBerry. Oh yeah there the disaster known as Windows Mobile also, I jokingly called it, the Windows XP mini-me. What did Apple do? Remember?

    How about the cries that Apple should make a netbook? Remember that? What did Apple do? Two things actually. The iPad and the MacBook Air. And guess what? The world is much better for it. Good riddance to netbooks.

    What else was the competition doing before Apple came along? Let's see, Linux was supposed to be the great disruptor. Yet what Apple did is, not in one gigantic death blow but in several small steps, they totally disrupted the great monopolist known as Microsoft.
    Remember when the latest and greatest Windows would cost anywhere from $99 to $299 just to upgrade? Remember Windows home and small business, professional, full editions? Remember that just to get the latest MS Word or Excel, you'd have to splurge over $99 each?
    Yet Apple in several small steps, totally eradicated that notion. It also showed the world, that most of us don't need overly complicated software that we're going to use only 1% of said features.  Good riddance to the "ribbons".

    Apple did all this without being forced by the competition. I'm sure more examples can be found, if we just take a step back and reflect. 
    I totally agree and will add that Microsoft has gone from 95% desktop and small form factor device to under 40% in 6 years. No wonder they are worried and are moving into services
  • Reply 200 of 222
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post





    I totally agree and will add that Microsoft has gone from 95% desktop and small form factor device to under 40% in 6 years. No wonder they are worried and are moving into services

    In 6 years traditional OS's like OSX and Windows will already be in the middle of their decline into obscurity, being replaced with systems similar to Chrome OS. Heck the need for traditional desktop systems is starting to decline now. Every single application developer is working hard on bringing their products to the cloud, just look at Adobe. What Microsoft is doing is not only smart but an absolute must if they want to survive this transition, it has nothing to do with OSX.

Sign In or Register to comment.