Samsung warns of massive 60% decline in profits for Q3, cites stiff smartphone competition

Comments

• Reply 201 of 222
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

replaced with systems similar to Chrome OS.

No.

• Reply 202 of 222
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No.

Not exactly Chrome OS but gateways systems to the net, you know what I meant. I'm not suggesting everyone is going to use Chrome OS, Apple will of course have their own system. You know this is what's coming Tallest, even if you don't like it. There will of course still be traditional OS's available like Linux and Unix for servers but Apple will eventually abandon their traditional desktop model too once software developers go completely cloud, it's not only financially better for developers, gives them more control over versions ending fragmentation, will also stop software piracy as we know it. Yes, Tallest, this is the way things are heading, web apps or at least hybrid apps, where you will still be able to use them offline but will sync any changes once online.

• Reply 203 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

I have never bought into the idea that Apple "needs" competition.  I really doubt that Apple pays attention to things that way.  I think the whole culture that Steve Jobs built with his return to Apple (and THAT is his single greatest "product") that culture is one of a giant company that acts like and thinks like a start up.  Apple sees APPLE as it's greatest competitor.  Just my humble opinion.

Apple doesn't build a big phone if it weren't for the competition.

You're both right.

He's describing the Apple of yesteryear; the Apple of Steve Jobs.

• Reply 204 of 222

You know this is what's coming Tallest, even if you don't like it.

No. There will always be local OS’. There will always be local files and the option to have no content stored on a server that isn’t yours.

The cloud isn’t the future of processing; it’s the future of parity.

• Reply 205 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So what's the alternative? Do you really think that it's feasible for every manufacturer to make its own OS, and ecosystem, and have the market support all of them?

A realistic look at the numbers indicate that making your own OS will most likely result in failure, Symbian, WebOS are dead, and BB is dying.

The difference is that Apple built its OS on top of an already thriving ecosystem, and every new device on the shoulders of a successful one. It's way too late in the game for anyone to follow that same road map to success.

I agree and said so in a different post. There's barely room for a number 3 OS.

Regardless... the OS is the problem, and I don't think Samsung will see any profits anytime soon in the same capacity as they once did. Apple did it right, and the only other company that might get it right some day, is Microsoft. Goggle may stick it out though until all devices are mobile, or simple internet terminals.

Samsung has nowhere to go but down.

I disagree.

They now have room to make a flagship 4" phone.

• Reply 206 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

They need to release a breakthough Refridgeroaster. 

Microsoft have beaten them to it.

• Reply 207 of 222
    Quote:

No. There will always be local OS’. There will always be local files and the option to have no content stored on a server that isn’t yours.

Okay, if you say so, we'll revisit this in 6 years if I'm still alive.

• Reply 208 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That ended up as one strange story, with Sammy actually being the one to sue Dyson.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/17/5418616/samsung-sues-dyson-following-intolerable-copycat-claims

Hurt feelings being litigated? The consumer products world has some strange corners...

Rounded corners at that...

• Reply 209 of 222

Okay, if you say so, we'll revisit this in 6 years if I'm still alive.

Chrome OS won’t be.

• Reply 210 of 222
    Quote:

Chrome OS won’t be.

That is just your opinion and Chrome OS seems to be doing pretty well regardless of it. Not trying to be little miss prissy but I think your being just a tad bit on the hardheaded side. Look, we will see, neither of us can predict the future.

• Reply 211 of 222
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I disagree.

They now have room to make a flagship 4" phone.

Now all they need is the 'know how' .
  • Reply 212 of 222
    Quote:

Yeah, I agree with that, although it's the future of popularity. It's like DSLR vs. mirrorless. The mirrorless options will asymptotically approach the DSLR experience, but they will never get there, and the DSLR option (or similar) will always be there.

• Reply 213 of 222
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    ... if I'm still alive.

You will be. Simply has to be true, since you already survived all the misery one can get or imagine.
  • Reply 214 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You will be. Simply has to be true, since you already survived all the misery one can get or imagine.

Thank you very much, I've already surpassed my expected expiration date so who knows, I'm defiantly not making any long term plans at this point though. I would like to do a 100+ day world cruise though, first class cabin, new clothes, nice luggage, Leica camera, satellite phone, the whole bit. My family won't be able to join me on the entire trip but we've discussed meeting up in ports. My sister and a friend however have shown interest in joining me, especially if I pay for their way, so I wouldn't be alone.

What do you guys think of this.

• Reply 215 of 222
    Quote:

Thank you very much, I've already surpassed my expected expiration date so who knows, I'm defiantly not making any long term plans at this point though. I would like to do a 100+ day world cruise though, first class cabin, new clothes, nice luggage, Leica camera, satellite phone, the whole bit. My family won't be able to join me on the entire trip but we've discussed meeting up in ports. My sister and a friend however have shown interest in joining me, especially if I pay for their way, so I wouldn't be alone.

Very nice!

Good dynamic range on the camera too.

• Reply 216 of 222
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

In 6 years traditional OS's like OSX and Windows will already be in the middle of their decline into obscurity, being replaced with systems similar to Chrome OS. Heck the need for traditional desktop systems is starting to decline now. Every single application developer is working hard on bringing their products to the cloud, just look at Adobe. What Microsoft is doing is not only smart but an absolute must if they want to survive this transition, it has nothing to do with OSX.

Do the processes then function remotely so the local device is simply a display and input port?

• Reply 217 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Do the processes then function remotely so the local device is simply a display and input port?

It depends. It's a split. Usually a big chunk of software is downloaded and run by the browser. No installations are needed, and software is automatically updated. The back-end is all run on the server, and tasks that run on both the front and back end can be driven on either end, depending on the developer architecture. 

On the user side, the benefit is that you always have the latest and greatest, and don't need as much local storage. The downside is that the industry is pushing SAS down to the consumer level, so rather than buying software, you end up with a monthly/annual software bill. The days of holding onto an old version of Lightroom that "works well enough" are going away.

• Reply 218 of 222

Not trying to be little miss prissy but I think your being just a tad bit on the hardheaded side.

I’m adamant in my distaste of the idea that my possessions be outside my local ownership.

For that reason, I can’t feel that OS’ based in the cloud will ever gain support among any group. Large businesses won’t do this because they won’t want the third party running the OS stealing their IP. Small businesses won’t do this because they won’t want to have server or connection problems cut them off from their clients’ files. Consumers won’t do this because they will neither know nor care how. 

If you try to tell someone, “Oh, you can just log onto your friend’s computer at their house and see all your files there,” they’d get excited. But telling them that they have to have an Internet connected to use their computer at all will glass their eyes over.

I think you’d deserve it after everything you’ve had happen.

• Reply 219 of 222
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »

Kind of your friends, even more kind of you! And well deserved. Yes, a cruise may not be for me, but if I were in your shoes I would also pick something where all personnel would attend to my every wish. You can get a mani-pedi, jacuzzi, and everything to make you as comfy as you can get - and should get!

PS What are the extra 10+ days for? (in the mail I read the original post which read 90 days...) Stopping over in Rotterdam? We had this one over there the other day. It's the largest one in the world.

And if you're feeling up to it:

• Reply 220 of 222
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

It depends. It's a split. Usually a big chunk of software is downloaded and run by the browser. No installations are needed, and software is automatically updated. The back-end is all run on the server, and tasks that run on both the front and back end can be driven on either end, depending on the developer architecture. 

On the user side, the benefit is that you always have the latest and greatest, and don't need as much local storage. The downside is that the industry is pushing SAS down to the consumer level, so rather than buying software, you end up with a monthly/annual software bill. The days of holding onto an old version of Lightroom that "works well enough" are going away.

Thanks, as communication speeds have gotten higher I can see that model. The subscription aspect is, of course, annoying. I've a lab with a limited budget and so am one of those with a number of "just good enough" programs we don't use all that frequently on the machines...