Teens 'tepid' on Apple Watch as iPhone and iPad steal Android marketshare

Comments

• Reply 241 of 284
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    relic wrote: »
    @SolipsismX You know what I meant, it can fit in your pocket and it's no more uncomfortable than any other large mobile phone. You didn't have to jump on me for something so trivial.

1) It is more uncomfortable just as the iPhone 6 Plus isn't as comfortable as a smaller and lighter iPhone.

2) You tried to paint the Passport as being just as comfortable as a gov't. issued passport because of a 2D measurement, which may sound great for a 30 second ad or billboard for a cheap talking point but you should know better.
  • Reply 242 of 284
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    philboogie wrote: »
    +1
    1) Good point

2) Oh, I'd love that. The combination of your witty mind and the 'impeccable' sense of humor makes me smile at any given time of the day. People ask me "what's up" but I just can't bring across your... 'weirdness'. Simply love it.

Sorry Phil, I didn't forget about you. Yea, we'll talk more in private but I would love to meet up with you soon, you can show me the real Amsterdam or any other city that you prefer, I've never been to Rotterdam. The little Bose is actually a really nifty portable speaker, it's amazing how much bass they pump out for such a small unit. It's also a much better speaker then the Beats Pill at the same price. I have absolutely no doubt that you will go head over heals for it, especially once you hear the sound quality. The battery is also very long lasting. The only thing that you might not like about it is the weight, it's a little on the heavy side for such a small thing, personally I actually like the heft, it makes it feel like it's worth something.

I've never really gone for Bose stuff in the past as the stores around here never carried them. I found this little Bose at the Apple store, sales guy said it was their most popular Bluetooth speaker. This od course was before the Beats deal went through, I'm sure their singing a different tune now huh. Let me know what you think of them and thank you as always for such kind words, your an absolute gem of a human being. Have you ever noticed that us Europeans are a little nicer then the Americans.
  • Reply 243 of 284
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) It is more uncomfortable just as the iPhone 6 Plus isn't as comfortable as a smaller and lighter iPhone.

2) You tried to paint the Passport as being just as comfortable as a gov't. issued passport because of a 2D measurement, which may sound great for a 30 second ad or billboard for a cheap talking point but you should know better.

Did you even read the comment I was replying too, he said the Passport couldn't fit in your pocket. Again, you know what I was trying to convey and even though it's thicker then a real passport or as flexible, it feels just fine in your back pocket. Your making this out to be more than it actually is.
  • Reply 244 of 284
    Did you even read the comment I was replying too, he said the Passport couldn't fit in your pocket. Again, you know what I was trying to convey and even though it's thicker then a real passport or as flexible, it feels just fine in your back pocket. Your making this out to be more than it actually is.

1) I'm really not. I'll even move the conversation from BB to Apple. The iPhone 6 Plus is not as comfortable as a smaller and lighter iPhone in your pocket.

2) The Passport has an "executive," visual appeal but all the reviews I've read said the keyboard isn't as good as keyboard on previous BB devices. I found that to be shocking since that's the one thing BB had going for it. If they make a physical keyboard that is less effective than their previous physical keyboards then then they may start losing some of their last holdouts that have resisted moving to a virtual keyboard on more versatile devices.
  • Reply 245 of 284
    I'm really not. I'll even move the conversation from BB to Apple. The iPhone 6 Plus is not as comfortable as a smaller and lighter iPhone in your pocket.

I can't comment on the new iPhone 6 plus as I have yet to put one into my pocket but the length of it will probably be where the problem lies. The Passport actually fits into your pocket without exposing much of the phone itself, as in a person would probably think it was a wallet before a phone, the thing is almost a square. Look I don't want to argue, I'll use less descriptive adjectives in the future. I was just trying to say that if you can put a passport into your pocket then you should have no problem fitting the BB in as well. I got the belt clip thingy anyway to really submerse myself into the BB culture. I won't wear it though, it's for the inside of my purse, I have this little pouch which coincidently was made for passports that fits the phone perfectly. How do you carry your phone, my husband always puts his two in his coat jacket, an iPhone and a Blackberry. He just bought a iPhone 6 Plus and the BB Passport, I don't know how in the hell he is going to get around now with those two monsters. I think he's going to buy an Apple Watch so he can keep the iPhone in his bag, which means the kids will get one too, my family has more Apple gear than I do.

The keyboard is actually pretty good, you just need time to learn it. It was frustrating for me to at first but I can now type 50 words a minute. These reviewers only spend a day or two with the gadgets their reviewing, I'm sure if they spent a week using nothing but the BB as I have they would change their opinion, it just takes time like anything else. I also use that preemptive word guess thing very liberally, a feature the old BB's didn't really handle all that well, I use it now to the point where the phone is almost doing the work for me. You know, you type "t" and then you just slide up and it fills in "the", that's just a silly example but it actually does a wonderful job, if you get the hang of it you should never have to type a full word ever again making your typing nutty quick.
  • Reply 246 of 284
    I can't comment on the new iPhone 6 plus as I have yet to put one into my pocket but the length of it will probably be where the problem lies.

It very well could be. The volume and weight of the iPhone 6 series is great for those display sizes but the height of each is monstrous. I don't get why Apple want the forehead to match the chin in height. Seems like a waste to me and I feel the HTC high-end devices look better front on than the iPhone at this point because of the smaller forehead.
    The Passport actually fits into your pocket without exposing much of the phone itself, as in a person would probably think it was a wallet before a phone, the thing is almost a square.

A big problem I see with the Passport are the squared off edges and corners. Imagine the iPhone 6 series with the same box dimensions but with the squared sizes of the iPhone 5S. It becomes more difficult to slide in and out of a pocket. Because of the iPhone 6 series curves and beveled glass I bet the 4.7" iPhone slides in and out more easily than the 4" iPhone.
    Look I don't want to argue, I'll use less descriptive adjectives in the future.

I prefer more adjectives if it leads to more clarity of communication.
    I was just trying to say that if you can put a passport into your pocket then you should have no problem fitting the BB in as well.

That's the part I took issue with.
  • Reply 247 of 284
    It very well could be. The volume and weight of the iPhone 6 series is great for those display sizes but the height of each is monstrous. I don't get why Apple want the forehead to match the chin in height. Seems like a waste to me and I feel the HTC high-end devices look better front on than the iPhone at this point because of the smaller forehead.
    A big problem I see with the Passport are the squared off edges and corners. Imagine the iPhone 6 series with the same box dimensions but with the squared sizes of the iPhone 5S. It becomes more difficult to slide in and out of a pocket. Because of the iPhone 6 series curves and beveled glass I bet the 4.7" iPhone slides in and out more easily than the 4" iPhone.
    I prefer more adjectives if it leads to more clarity of communication.
    That's the part I took issue with.
    I just added a little comment about the keyboard.
  • Reply 248 of 284
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFire1 View Post

As someone who has owned and continues to own virtually every Apple product over the years, the iWatch is the first new device that hasn't given me a ""got to have it now" feeling.  The AppleInsider article may well be painting an accurate picture of the iWatch's upcoming sales, or lack of them.

We'll find out soon enough. 

As someone who has owned and continues to own virtually every Apple product over the years, the iWatch is the first new device that gives me a hardon

• Reply 249 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Stop drinking and posting.

You means :"smoking" don't you lol

• Reply 250 of 284
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The US has plastic passport cards, too, but they are the size of a CC so they fit in your wallet. What are the dimensions of yours?

We have the standard sized paper passport (with the plastic thingy inside which can break), used for international travel, and we have a cc sized plastic card, standard credit card size if I'm not mistaken, ISO/IEC7810:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card_size#ID-1

D-3 for passport size
    ID-3
    ID-3 specifies a size of 125 × 88 mm (4.921 × 3.465 in). This size is the B7 format. This format is used worldwide for passports.

(Sorry, on an iPad here and copy paste + accuracy takes effort. You know I normally clean this up when posting from my desktop)

edit 2: This doesn't list the dimensions, just pointing out what they look like and how their uses differ. Do EU countries have something similar since it's so easy to travel between countries?

Yup, the cc sized, 125x88mm
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_document
  • Reply 251 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I can't comment on the new iPhone 6 plus as I have yet to put one into my pocket but the length of it will probably be where the problem lies. The Passport actually fits into your pocket without exposing much of the phone itself, as in a person would probably think it was a wallet before a phone, the thing is almost a square. Look I don't want to argue, I'll use less descriptive adjectives in the future. I was just trying to say that if you can put a passport into your pocket then you should have no problem fitting the BB in as well. I got the belt clip thingy anyway to really submerse myself into the BB culture. I won't wear it though, it's for the inside of my purse, I have this little pouch which coincidently was made for passports that fits the phone perfectly. How do you carry your phone, my husband always puts his two in his coat jacket, an iPhone and a Blackberry. He just bought a iPhone 6 Plus and the BB Passport, I don't know how in the hell he is going to get around now with those two monsters. I think he's going to buy an Apple Watch so he can keep the iPhone in his bag, which means the kids will get one too, my family has more Apple gear than I do.

The keyboard is actually pretty good, you just need time to learn it. It was frustrating for me to at first but I can now type 50 words a minute. These reviewers only spend a day or two with the gadgets their reviewing, I'm sure if they spent a week using nothing but the BB as I have they would change their opinion, it just takes time like anything else. I also use that preemptive word guess thing very liberally, a feature the old BB's didn't really handle all that well, I use it now to the point where the phone is almost doing the work for me. You know, you type "t" and then you just slide up and it fills in "the", that's just a silly example but it actually does a wonderful job, if you get the hang of it you should never have to type a full word ever again making your typing nutty quick.

Typing on a cell phone, really that's sooo yesterday, have you ever heard of voice recognition, I use it all the time, Blackburied is doomed

• Reply 252 of 284
    paul94544 wrote: »
    As someone who has owned and continues to own virtually every Apple product over the years, the iWatch is the first new device that gives me a hardon

Lovely, you know there are lady's present. What about the Apple Watch gets you so excited if you don't mind me asking. Besides just being another gadget, what do you envision your self using it for?
  • Reply 253 of 284
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

This.

I remember getting the original iphone the day it came out and most of my friends and family simply did not get it, they could not understand the big deal.  

Then one by one, almost everyone went to a touchscreen phone as their next phone.  Very few people I know bought another flip phone or a phone with a physical keyboard as their contracts expired after the iphone was released.  Translate that to the watch and apple may have another serious hit on their hands.

That being said, I was more excited for the original iphone than the new watch.  But I am not really a watch person, and a smart phone is much more of a necessity than a watch.  

I'm not a watch person either, but after seeing the Apple Watch I am hooked,. The thing I like is I won't have pull my phone out of my pocket for repetitive tasks like seeing txt msgs, checking time, or seeing who email me. I'll be able to make the phone in my pocket silent  and have the watch "nudge me" when someone calls, texts or emails me. I don't like taking out my expensive iPhone in public, especially in less safe places. It will also change my habit of pulling out my phone most the time and make walking on the sidewalk safer too.

• Reply 254 of 284
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Lovely, you know there are lady's present. What about the Apple Watch gets you so excited if you don't mind me asking. Besides just being another gadget, what do you envision your self using it for?

The curves dude!

but seriously:

repetitive tasks like seeing txt msgs, checking time, or seeing who email me. I'll be able to make the phone in my pocket silent  and have the watch "nudge me" when someone calls, texts or emails me. I don't like taking out my expensive iPhone in public, especially in less safe places. It will also change my habit of pulling out my phone most the time and make walking on the sidewalk safer too.

and then there's  Apple Pay, finally I can use my debit card without the concern my debit card will be compromised

• Reply 255 of 284
    techlover wrote: »

This.

I remember getting the original iphone the day it came out and most of my friends and family simply did not get it, they could not understand the big deal.  

Then one by one, almost everyone went to a touchscreen phone as their next phone.  Very few people I know bought another flip phone or a phone with a physical keyboard as their contracts expired after the iphone was released.  Translate that to the watch and apple may have another serious hit on their hands.

[SIZE=14px]<span style="line-height:1.4em;">That being said, I was more excited for the original iphone than the new watch.  </span>
    But I am not really a watch person, a<span style="line-height:1.4em;">nd a smart phone is much more of a necessity than a watch.  </span>
    [/SIZE]
    I'm not a watch person either, but after seeing the Apple Watch I am hooked,. The thing I like is I won't have pull my phone out of my pocket for repetitive tasks like seeing txt msgs, checking time, or seeing who email me. I'll be able to make the phone in my pocket silent  and have the watch "nudge me" when someone calls, texts or emails me. I don't like taking out my expensive iPhone in public, especially in less safe places. It will also change my habit of pulling out my phone most the time and make walking on the sidewalk safer too.

Acquiring common sense would achieve the same effect and save you at least $350, too.
  • Reply 256 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

This.

That being said, I was more excited for the original iphone than the new watch.  But I am not really a watch person, and a smart phone is much more of a necessity than a watch.  

So with all the toughs in the hood looking shady and tough, you are going to flash your expensive watch to check on that urgent notification instead of getting out the expensive phone its likely paired with?  Good criminals will now know that if they see the watch, they will likely know to rob you of the phone as well.

So I am giving you a hard time.  And these kinds of scenarios are just that, scenarios. And I really hope it doesn't happen to anyone.

I do like your use cases, however most smart watches do all of those things right now.  I think my favorite part of the apple watch, having not seen one in person yet, is the way the bands attach.  That looks so slick.

• Reply 257 of 284

This.

[SIZE=14px]<span style="line-height:1.4em;">That being said, I was more excited for the original iphone than the new watch.  </span>
    But I am not really a watch person, a<span style="line-height:1.4em;">nd a smart phone is much more of a necessity than a watch.  </span>
    [/SIZE]
    So with all the toughs in the hood looking shady and tough, you are going to flash your expensive watch to check on that urgent notification instead of getting out the expensive phone its likely paired with?  Good criminals will now know that if they see the watch, they will likely know to rob you of the phone as well.

So I am giving you a hard time.  And these kinds of scenarios are just that, scenarios. And I really hope it doesn't happen to anyone.

I do like your use cases, however most smart watches do all of those things right now.  I think my favorite part of the apple watch, having not seen one in person yet, is the way the bands attach.  That looks so slick.

Buckles are clever. Been around a few years.
  • Reply 258 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

The curves dude!

but seriously:

repetitive tasks like seeing txt msgs, checking time, or seeing who email me. I'll be able to make the phone in my pocket silent  and have the watch "nudge me" when someone calls, texts or emails me. I don't like taking out my expensive iPhone in public, especially in less safe places. It will also change my habit of pulling out my phone most the time and make walking on the sidewalk safer too.

and then there's  Apple Pay, finally I can use my debit card without the concern my debit card will be compromised

I'm the chick Paul! Thanks for the info though, still don't see the appeal, my husband and kids want it though, to bad they won't be available until next year, would have made nice Christmas gifts and then later kitchen drawer clutter.

• Reply 259 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Acquiring common sense would achieve the same effect and save you at least $350, too.

Haha, but most peoples common sense is missing that all important alarm feature.

• Reply 260 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Buckles are clever. Been around a few years.

Haven't you heard, Velcro is the future.