Finland prime minister again blames Apple for destroying national economy

Comments

• Reply 141 of 182
    If the people of the middle class don't do something now to change their future, they will end up like Nokia and really have no one to blame except their own inaction. All around the world there are people snug in their middle class life watching TV and burning through the opportunity to do what they need to do while there is time to do it. The future owes nothing to the past, but will be beholding to those who act in the present.

Exactly! +100 if I could.

I do believe that in the very near future, most people will be forced to be a "small business" of one.... aka a freelancer.... whether they want to be or not. Similar to the beginning of the last millennium.

I'm curious of one thing: I had 2 years of general accounting in HS as an elective class 36 years ago that eased my decision somewhat to be self-employed i.e. freelancer straight out of HS while going to college. Do HS'es these days offer such classes or opportunities? What about Entrepreneur classes that they talked about some 30 years ago when The Steves were getting headlines building big businesses out of garages.
    I agree that the iPhone was successful beyond Steve's expectations. But don't you think it was because he also expected MS, Palm, Nokia, and RIMM to see what the iPhone was going to do; that it represented serious competition? They all laughed at the iPhone, and in their various ways didn't react as seriously and aggressively as they should have.

I don't think anyone outside of Apple knew what a house-of-cards the original iPhone was, but Apple was able to identify quickly where there were enterprise weaknesses in the iOS and hardware, and did move relatively quickly to plug the holes. SO, in defense of the established players, Apple did keep them slightly off their game by upgrading the iOS faster then the establishment was used to seeing things happen. Apple also saw the upheaval that was going to happen once the cellular systems upgraded their digital side of their towers and infra-systems. By moving when they did, they actually sped up the upgrades by AT&T, Verizon and others. The handset makers just didn't seem to have a plan on how to take advantage of the projected improvements by the providers.

I'd love to have heard Steve's pitch to Quest (which became part of AT&T) and could detect what Quest saw that made them move on Steve's offer... They saw something that the other cell providers didn't see... I wonder what it was?

Once again... +100! IMHO regardless of how great the iPhone was... and what it was to become... Apple fans should always rejoice that the biggest "reported" a**hole and egocentric ever in tech, lived up to his billing and didn't give so much as an inch of wiggle-room for the Telco's to take over.

Those are the guys that helped kill Nokia's business, especially when they didn't jump on the Android train fast enough. They left the game early of their own free will. No blame... just fact.
  • Reply 142 of 182
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Oh, please you really want to go to but for the NRA, seriously, when they don't even want the federal government to examine gun use... Look it up. They're afraid of the truth that guns are useless in self defense, but dangerous to have around for everyone involved.

I'm not going to talk about their political BS here beyond that because I know I'll get mad about it. Anyone who spouts any of their lines need to go see the real info, and science.

Other than being way OT, sorry to say you are wasting your time even trying to use logic or science in a subject more akin to a religion for half the USA.
  • Reply 143 of 182
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is true and seems to be getting far worst. It really looks like the majority of the reporters out there have an education that stopped in middle school. Very few seem to be well informed as to what they are reporting on.

(1) I'm not to sure what his aim was. However it does have the flavor of trying to attach blame.

(2) Actually how many jet engine manufactures are there at the moment?

(3) The NRA isn't in the game of blaming victims. The NRA simply points out that you as a person are responsible for your own safety. In the end cops can do little for you when somebody enters your home or tries to hijac your car.

(1) Did you watch the interview? Best you do.

All he said was, "A little bit paradoxically I guess one could say that the iPhone killed Nokia and the iPad killed the Finnish paper industry, but we'll make a comeback." By definition, to blame someone, you must 'assign responsibility for a fault or wrong'. One could say 'the Car killed the Horse'. No one would blame the Car, the manufacturer, the inventor or the owner of the horse. And it was a paradox.

This guy is no dummy. He understands that enterprise must innovate to succeed. But most important, it not the government job to do it for them. To that, he is attempting to provide policies that will assist them in doing so. 

(2) In the US, there are over 350 jet engine manufacturers alone.  

What most people don't realize is that the development of the iPhone began in 2003, i.e., nearly 4 year before its introduction. Keep in mind that to get there, Apple really started back in 1997 after they bought NEXT. So, what it took Jobs to achieve within a decade, there was and still is no hope that anyone else can do in months or years. This is particularly true as trying to modify a Windows System Architecture like engine as Microsoft has been doing for decades. Unlike the iOS, the jet engine technology was virtually available to anyone to take, build or modify and stuff it into a box with wings.

(3) Now that is pure blame!

Are you suggesting laws like DUI are useless because cops can do little for you when a drunk crashes into your car? 

• Reply 144 of 182
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Yeah he didn't to it in a negative way. He did one of those passive aggressive things people like to do where they try to shade someone on the sly...

It was a friggin paradox! He even said so.

• Reply 145 of 182

Maybe Finland is the country Apple could buy, move to, and carry out their political and economic will. I still think a country or collection of countries should be purchased and repurposed for the benefit of their owners. Heck, even the Google boys think the laws in the US are insane and they want their own island.

Actually... I mentioned this very thing in a few posts many months ago when the first inquisition before the US committee took place.

"Could" Apple along with some others actually purchase one of the Cayman Islands, or gain sovereignty within another country if the country allowed them to... for example Iceland, or the Faroe Islands (Denmark)?

I personally don't agree with corporate income taxes at all. *IF* they pay all of their other taxes without ANY government subsidy and/or loop holes. Payroll taxes, land/zoning taxes, capital gains taxes (shareholders)... and sales taxes (or consumption taxes like VAT) *should* be enough. What's left over should be either given to investors (owners) or used to grow the business.

*** I should also say, that I don't believe that corporations should be allowed to lobby or contribute to PACS or any other politically active org or business for the sole purpose of swaying elections and/or laws of which they may ever be considered in a position of a conflict of interest. How to make that work is a whole 'nother discussion(!)
  • Reply 146 of 182
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I agree that the iPhone was successful beyond Steve's expectations. But don't you think it was because he also expected MS, Palm, Nokia, and RIMM to see what the iPhone was going to do; that it represented serious competition? They all laughed at the iPhone, and in their various ways didn't react as seriously and aggressively as they should have.

I don't think anyone outside of Apple knew what a house-of-cards the original iPhone was, but Apple was able to identify quickly where there were enterprise weaknesses in the iOS and hardware, and did move relatively quickly to plug the holes. SO, in defense of the established players, Apple did keep them slightly off their game by upgrading the iOS faster then the establishment was used to seeing things happen. Apple also saw the upheaval that was going to happen once the cellular systems upgraded their digital side of their towers and infra-systems. By moving when they did, they actually sped up the upgrades by AT&T, Verizon and others. The handset makers just didn't seem to have a plan on how to take advantage of the projected improvements by the providers.

That's a good point you make. Something similar is happening now with Tesla.

Quote:

I'd love to have heard Steve's pitch to Quest (which became part of AT&T) and could detect what Quest saw that made them move on Steve's offer... They saw something that the other cell providers didn't see... I wonder what it was?

They saw an opportunity, because Steve presented it as "insanely great".

• Reply 147 of 182
    Oh, so it's ok for Nokia (or any other company for that matter) to be so big they print money in their sleep but not Apple? Hmm, "hi Kettle, I'm Pot." They're just mad because they got toppled over when they thought it wasn't possible. Happens to the best of them. Look what we think of Microsoft now compared to what we thought of them in 1990. Look what we thought of Apple in 1990 compared to now. Will they still even be around in 15 years...no one knows! Lesson to be learned: never stop innovating! Never get too comfortable.

... which is a nice addition to: "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish"... :smokey:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 148 of 182
    Apple can take down a whole country's economy. I really do want Apple to take the blame for this. 

Pass the high-fives, and vodka around the room  get naked and celebrate

If you happen to be inviting any ravishing redheads.... time, place?...... :D
  • Reply 149 of 182
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

He's probably still laughing on a beach somewhere. CEOs never pay for their incompetence.

I think Elop was well compensated -because- he did precisely what he was supposed to do.

(i.e. drive nokia's value into the ground so MS could acquire it at a favorable price (favorable to MS, and the detriment of Nokia's employee's, shareholders and Finland in general (because Nokia represents such a large % of Finland's economy))

Anyone who doesn't see that that was MS's plan, and Elop's marching orders, (in letting him go to nokia) all along, is being naive.

MS's behavior represent's one of the worst examples of "capitalism" (and conversely, Apple one of the best) They (MS) stifled personal computer development for nearly 20 years (beige boxes and XP forever!)

Prime Minister Stubb, place the blame where it (squarely) belongs. MS hatched a plan to devalue Nokia, to acquire it cheaply. (and also partial blame to Nokia for allowing themselves to be taken in such an obvious ruse.)

• Reply 150 of 182
    In all fairness, Apple iPhone was a revolutionary device that was five years ahead of competitors. The only competitors who have remained in the game have merely copied Apple.
  • Reply 151 of 182
    This %$#@! is the PM?
  • Reply 152 of 182

really? because i would have blamed their lacklustre design and irritating software. it is nokia's fault for not getting their ass into gear when they had the chance.  instead they pulled a microsoft and came late to the party.

• Reply 153 of 182
    Quote:

I agree that the iPhone was successful beyond Steve's expectations. (1) But don't you think it was because he also expected MS, Palm, Nokia, and RIMM to see what the iPhone was going to do; that it represented serious competition? They all laughed at the iPhone, and in their various ways didn't react as seriously and aggressively as they should have.

I don't think anyone outside of Apple knew what a house-of-cards the original iPhone was, but Apple was able to identify quickly where there were enterprise weaknesses in the iOS and hardware, and did move relatively quickly to plug the holes. SO, in defense of the established players, (2) Apple did keep them slightly off their game by upgrading the iOS faster then the establishment was used to seeing things happen. Apple also saw the upheaval that was going to happen once the cellular systems upgraded their digital side of their towers and infra-systems. By moving when they did, they actually sped up the upgrades by AT&T, Verizon and others. The handset makers just didn't seem to have a plan on how to take advantage of the projected improvements by the providers.

Rather than blaming, let's get better familiars with what it took to 

(1) I am sure they did, but by the time they saw it, it was too late. 

(2) That was one of the 'exclusivity' conditions that Apple demanded of AT&T, and cheaper data plans to go with it.

The Untold Story: How the iPhone Blew Up the Wireless Industry

In 2002, shortly after the first iPod was released, Jobs started thinking about developing a phone. He saw millions of Americans lugging separate phones, BlackBerrys, and — now — MP3 players; naturally, consumers would prefer just one device. He also saw a future in which cell phones and mobile email devices would amass ever more features, eventually challenging the iPod's dominance as a music player. To protect his new product line, Jobs knew he would eventually need to venture into the wireless world.

If the idea was obvious, so were the obstacles. Data networks were sluggish and not ready for a full-blown handheld Internet device. An iPhone would require Apple to create a completely new operating system; the iPod's OS wasn't sophisticated enough to manage complicated networking or graphics, and even a scaled-down version of OS X would be too much for a cell phone chip to handle. Apple would be facing strong competition, too: In 2003, consumers had flocked to the Palm Treo 600, which merged a phone, PDA, and BlackBerry into one slick package. That proved there was demand for a so-called convergence device, but it also raised the bar for Apple's engineers.

Then there were the wireless carriers. Jobs knew they dictated what to build and how to build it, and that they treated the hardware as little more than a vehicle to get users onto their networks. Jobs, a notorious control freak himself, wasn't about to let a group of suits — whom he would later call "orifices" — tell him how to design his phone.

P.S. Man has yet to build a better mouse trap.

Great reads:

And Then Steve Said, ‘Let There Be an iPhone’ - NYTimes.com

Bad Connection: Inside the iPhone Network Meltdown | WIRED

• Reply 154 of 182
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Oh, please you really want to go to but for the NRA, seriously, when they don't even want the federal government to examine gun use... Look it up. They're afraid of the truth that guns are useless in self defense, but dangerous to have around for everyone involved.

I'm not going to talk about their political BS here beyond that because I know I'll get mad about it. Anyone who spouts any of their lines need to go see the real info, and science.

Im no fan of the NRA or guns in general, but guns can be used for self defense in trained hands.

http://mobile.philly.com/news/breaking/?wss=/philly/news/breaking&id=279075291&
  • Reply 155 of 182
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Actually, Samsung brought down Nokia. it grabbed the global generic phone market away from it by quickly adopting knock-off Android while Nokia failed to replace its outmoded Symbian. plain old competition that Nokia failed to meet.

but then Microsoft literally killed off Nokia. it fooled its idiot (Finland) board of directors into hiring Elop in response to this, who then foisted MS' dead-end Windows Phone OS on Nokia totally, leaving it a basket case that MS finally just gobbled up outright - and cheap. a classic trojan horse scenario.

the Finns have no one to blame but themselves.

• Reply 156 of 182
    Darwin was right.
  • Reply 157 of 182
    Darwin was right.

That Finns came from the sea?
  • Reply 158 of 182
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Darwin was right.

I see a lot of non-fit people surviving just fine.
  • Reply 159 of 182
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    How do the Finnish know when they're done?
  • Reply 160 of 182
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erik Thiessen View Post

at one time, the horse whip industry was decimated by the automotive industry.

Not decimated, simply forced to adapt to another growth industry - BDSM...