KGI: Apple likely to launch simple stylus to enhance upcoming 12.9-inch iPad user experience; advanc

Comments

• Reply 181 of 282
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    gqb wrote: »
    Every example of Steve naysaying an idea need only be prefaced with 'at this moment in time', which is obviously what he meant.

What he meant to do was to take focus off the rest of the world and keep the audience focused on his latest and greatest.
  • Reply 182 of 282
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

1. adding a stylus at this stage of the game as an optional accessory is quite a different thing from having the UI built around the assumption that a stylus is necessary from day one

Or they can recognize that it only suits a fraction of any possible userbase, even less so as tablets get larger.

3. Jobs changed his mind all the time. People shouldn't assume he would be against something now just because he was against it in 2010.  

Yeah, because if there’s one thing for which we’ve all been clamoring since 2007 when he said that and iPhone OS was introduced is… the same garbage that failed to work well on the Newton.

I want a stylus for Apple's desktop multitouch computer. Absolutely. But that’s just for design

• Reply 183 of 282
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Having a digitizer built into a larger iPad, with the proper APIs and Frameworks, along with partners to show off some apps with demos at the event would likely let Apple know within a year is a digitizer in other the iPad (or iPad and iPhone) would be worth the cost to the customer.

I think this is how Apple going to do it.
  • Reply 184 of 282
    wizard69 wrote: »
    "We believe, if you need a stylus, you already failed"
    "Hand-writing is probably the slowest input method ever invented"
    "Who wants a Stylus?"

- Steve

Do you even have a hint of what is involved in running a business? One fundamental is that you sell what you have not what you wish you had and certainly not what the competition has.

Steve was effectively a master at selling what he had even if what he had sucked (PPC).

Yep! The salesman's credo: "You sell what you have in the wagon (nothing more, nothing less).
  • Reply 185 of 282
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    When I first saw this topic just after it was posted I thought it would get 8 posts. An optional accessory. That's nice.

Then it just went crazy. It's been said so let's say it again. The stylus is optional. It isn't "needed". Jobs' quote said "if you need."

And he meant need. There were resistance screens that needed a stylus. Couldn't work without.

This optional stylus is for design, art, CAD etc. No doubt games which allow kids to color will use it too.

Nice optional addition to the hardware and SDK.
  • Reply 186 of 282
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Apple files a lot of patents for a lot of things that never see the light of day. Im not sure that these are any different tbh.
  • Reply 187 of 282
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

The real thing we should scorn is handwriting. Thats a gimmick. It will never be more than 80% accurate for neat writers and about 50% for the rest of us, and most people - even peckers - can type faster.

• Reply 188 of 282
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

This is fantastic news for creatives! Adobe did an amazing job already with Ink & Slide but I am confident Apple will outdo them because they do both, the iPad and apple pen hardware and software.

Most of the criticism regarding Adobe's Ink is the lag. Some say it has to do with wifi. Apple is in a good position to address this. It is going to make drawing on an iPad more natural.

Oh man, Apple's pen will bring the productivity of the iPad to a whole new level. Xmas cannot come soon enough ...

• Reply 189 of 282
    Good to see apple finally coming up with a competitor to the note pro 12 all that needs to happen is LG to sell them OLED Wacom to sell them access & the direct on screen painters & drawers have a 4th option what with windows wacom & samsung note already at it
  • Reply 190 of 282
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,504member

The stylus is a moot point. Just another alternative input device for niche applications. I'm actually struggling to figure out what mass market a giant iPad would serve. Seems like a niche product for a few uses as noted in these posts, but for the bulk of consumers I'm not sensing that there is a real need. Maybe it will run OS X instead of iOS to compete against the Surface tabletPC?

• Reply 191 of 282
    Actually a larger stylus would make landscape comic reading that much better. For drawing work 13" is considered the minimum.Flame/inferno artist. Photoshop artists are the obvious market. The Samsung Note Pro with wacom tech has not captured the market, the windows tablet could except they dont use wacom, the artistic market has been waiting a long time for this.
  • Reply 192 of 282
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dewme wrote: »
    The stylus is a moot point. Just another alternative input device for niche applications. I'm actually struggling to figure out what mass market a giant iPad would serve. Seems like a niche product for a few uses as noted in these posts, but for the bulk of consumers I'm not sensing that there is a real need. Maybe it will run OS X instead of iOS to compete against the Surface tabletPC?

So creatives are a niche market? I guess Apple should stop making the Mac Pro too then because there certainly isn't a mass market for that product.
  • Reply 193 of 282
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Most people who have used the iPad for business purposes will agree that a stylus can be a very useful addition.  Any application where one is required to make quick notes, diagrams, etc.  It isn't about hand writing recognition, but rather just capturing the writing itself.  Making a few quick notes in documents, books, etc.  Typing is not as fast in some cases, like holding iPad with one hand and making notes with the other, or the act of bringing up the keyboard for a two-word note.  Add in the noted "creative" apps, and to me it is clear that a stylus supported by s/w and with a more accurate touch screen is a winner for Apple.  I have been wanting this for some time.

A stylus option in no way takes away from the current touch input, where every task can be accomplished by finger touch.  It just enhances the experience.  This will open up more uses for the iPad, which is important for Apple to grow this category.  If only available on the rumoured iPad Pro, then it will be a differentiator for sales of that product.

This thread was a disaster to get through.  Added a couple of persons to the blocked list to make it at least readable.

• Reply 194 of 282
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    irnchriz wrote: »
    Apple files a lot of patents for a lot of things that never see the light of day. Im not sure that these are any different tbh.

I sure hope that's not the case. Even though I have no current use for a digitizer in an iPad (I don't even have a need for an iPad), I would like to see what apps would come from Apple offering the previously stated HW, and APIs and Franeworks to make this a wonderful experience for those niche users.

asdasd wrote: »
    The real thing we should scorn is handwriting. Thats a gimmick. It will never be more than 80% accurate for neat writers and about 50% for the rest of us, and most people - even peckers - can type faster.

I agree, almost completely. I can think of some minor applications where handwritten text may be better in practice than typing. For instance, jotting down notes on a virtual blueprint.
  • Reply 195 of 282

I would love Apple to pioneer a stylus that actually worked well.  Someone point me to a stylus that actually works well today...The key to having a stylus that works well is first to have touch screen technology that was meant to be used with a stylus.  From there it gets a little easier to incorporate a stylus that feels like it should.

• Reply 196 of 282
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    asdasd wrote: »
    When I first saw this topic just after it was posted I thought it would get 8 posts. An optional accessory. That's nice.

Then it just went crazy. It's been said so let's say it again. The stylus is optional. It isn't "needed". Jobs' quote said "if you need."

And he meant need. There were resistance screens that needed a stylus. Couldn't work without.

This optional stylus is for design, art, CAD etc. No doubt games which allow kids to color will use it too.

Nice optional addition to the hardware and SDK.

Incorrect, SJ said "nobody wants a stylus" and "if you see a stylus". Want, and need are 2 very different things.
  • Reply 197 of 282
    I would love Apple to pioneer a stylus that actually worked well.  Someone point me to a stylus that actually works well today...The key to having a stylus that works well is first to have touch screen technology that was meant to be used with a stylus.  From there it gets a little easier to incorporate a stylus that feels like it should.

Don't forget the digitizer, frameworks and APIs. The stylus is just one part of that solution.

Wacom lists the major categories for which their products are ideal:

I don't see how our iPad and then iPhones will not eventually include this technology. Do math teachers still use chalk or whiteboards? Why, when they could simply use a projector to type out equations using the keyboard and some editor? Seems to me that a stylus and digitizer would be useful there, and that's without needing thousands of pressure sensitives, angles, tips, or colors.
  • Reply 198 of 282
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Incorrect, SJ said "nobody wants a stylus" and "if you see a stylus". Want, and need are 2 very different things.

Yes, if you see a stylus as the primary input for your device then you've failed.

The iPad will not be a failure simply because Apple includes a digitizer, frameworks and APIs, and lets the user buy 3rd-party (or even first party) styluses for editing, education, drawing, painting, or capturing ideas.
  • Reply 199 of 282
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Yes, if you see a stylus as the primary input for your device then you've failed.

The iPad will not be a failure simply because Apple includes a digitizer, frameworks and APIs, and lets the user buy 3rd-party (or even first party) styluses for editing, education, drawing, painting, or capturing ideas.

Did I ever say it would be a failure? Again many people used that quote to ridicule the Note tablet, and smartphone that includes a stylus but it is most certainly not 'needed'. I didn't see anyone correct them about what SJ meant.
  • Reply 200 of 282
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Did I ever say it would be a failure? Again many people used that quote to ridicule the Note tablet, and smartphone that includes a stylus but it is most certainly not 'needed'. I didn't see anyone correct them about what SJ meant.

I do think including a stylus that slides into the device as gimmicky and foolish, because it's an option tool for niche needs, but I have commended Samsung for including a digitizer and SW on the Note from day one.