Launch day Apple Watch orders estimated at 1M in US, skews toward Sport model

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Initial Apple Watch numbers are trickling in and among the first to report was research firm Slice Intelligence, which estimates nearly one million customers in the U.S. preordered the device on Friday.

Compiling data from a panel of two million online shoppers, Slice Intelligence said 957,000 U.S. customers preordered Apple Watch on its first day of availability. As expected, Apple's cheaper Apple Watch Sport model was most popular and garnered an estimated 62 percent of orders.

Citing data from 9,090 shoppers, the firm said Apple Watch buyers purchased an average of 1.3 watches and spent an average of $503.83 per device. Broken down by model, Sport buyers spent on average $382.83 per order, while those picking up stainless steel Apple Watch versions spent $707.04.

Buyers were most interested in larger 42mm Watch models, while the most popular case overall was the Space Gray aluminum Sport. According to the report, 40 percent of all Apple Watch purchases went to this model, followed by silver stainless steel at 34 percent, raw aluminum at 23 percent and the diamond-like carbon-coated Space Black stainless version at 3 percent.

As for watch bands, 49 percent of Apple Watch and Sport buyers opted for a black fluoroelastomer Sport Band, while 16 percent chose the white Sport Band. Apple's woven steel Milanese Loop came in third with about 10 percent.

Source: Slice Intelligence

The numbers jibe with research from BMO Capital, as reported by Fortune, that said about 60 percent of customers planning to buy Apple Watch were interested in the aluminum model, 12 percent for stainless and 4 percent gold, with 24 percent undecided. The report suggests Apple's advertising tactics could have helped up-sell those undecideds toward higher-priced models, as 53 percent of in-store and online displays focused on the stainless steel Apple Watch compared to 26 percent for aluminum and 21 percent for gold.

Aside from preorder estimates, anecdotal reports have appeared on various social media platforms claiming Apple is clamping down on buyers who purchased multiple units. While the claims have yet to be substantiated, some report Apple is canceling preorders for households that have more than one Apple Watch coming to the same address. Based on previous product sales and Apple's ability to forecast purchasing trends, however, these reports could be spurious or resultant from order errors not reflective of official Apple policy.

Apple kicked off preorders on Friday and quickly saw initial supply exhausted. Within minutes of going live, preorder ship-by dates for most Watch models slipped to 4 to 6 weeks. The company also initiated try-on appointments for customers on the fence about buying the pricey gadget, offering 15 minute one-on-one sessions to those interested in aluminum and stainless steel models, and 30 minutes for well-heeled buyers looking at the solid gold Apple Watch Edition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    I don't think Apple would be causing those cancelations unless it's really, really excessive purchasing.. like more than 4 at a time.

Also, they are seeing those cancelations from receipts It's MUCH more likely that people pre-ordered to lock in what they thought they wanted.. Go into the store, realize they don't want what they ordered... then cancel order and order what they REALLY want..

I see this happening A LOT.. the 2 people standing next to me while I was there doing my try-on, were also canceling theirs because after trying a few one, changed their minds..

I did the exact same thing.. I had 2 ordered I thought most likely.. then, after going in, realized I didn't want either and have since changed my order..
  • Reply 2 of 137
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member

Many people know Apple won't charge for the multiple orders until the product ships.. Thats one of the reasons I ordered 2.. I knew, at the  very least, I had until a few days prior to the 24th before I would see the charge push threw... I would not be surprised at all if this was the tactic of many on Friday. 

• Reply 3 of 137
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Many people know Apple won't charge for the multiple orders until the product ships.. Thats one of the reasons I ordered 2.. I knew, at the  very least, I had until a few days prior to the 24th before I would see the charge push threw... I would not be surprised at all if this was the tactic of many on Friday. 

Or they were purchasing for other people. I know I was approached for purchasing a watch for some of my friends but I told them no flat out. I'm sure a husband and wife couple may want to try the watch. 

• Reply 4 of 137
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

There was a general tactic that people who felt they were borderline between the 38 and 42mm models ordered both and cancelled one after a try on session. Although these people would certainly be in the minority.

Meanwhile if the 1M figure is correct, this alone would tower over the cumulative sales of the smartwatch category prior to the launch of the apple watch.

• Reply 5 of 137
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

1,000,000 1st day? Complete fucking disaster and failure, as predicted by BF and Brlawyer. I mean, the original iPhone took 3 months to reach that #. So going by some inverse, twisted logic, this is horrible. 

• Reply 6 of 137
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Thought people here might be interested in this:

http://fashionista.com/2015/04/apple-watch-editorial-styling

• Reply 7 of 137

Thought people here might be interested in this:

http://fashionista.com/2015/04/apple-watch-editorial-styling

Oh, and I ordered a regular Sport 38mm (it seems best -- but I guess we'll see), with a White Band, and then ordered an additional Milanese band.  I guess I will get my Milanese band on target date, but the watch itself won't arrive until June sometime. 

PS: This is all my fault.  I'm the one who waited hours to make an order.  As I was actually up at the time, there's no reason why I won't be getting my watch on target date, other than my own lameness.

• Reply 8 of 137
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

So Apple sold more on opening day than all that Android crap did in one year?

So where is that keyboard-attorney Brlawyer and his troll-boys?  He sounded so confident while thumping his Internet chest that the watch would be a dismal failure.  Well?

• Reply 9 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So where is that keyboard-attorney Brlawyer and his troll-boys?  He sounded so confident while thumping his Internet chest that the watch would be a dismal failure.  Well?

This is more like:

"No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame."

:)

• Reply 10 of 137
    slurpy wrote: »
    1,000,000 1st day? Complete fucking disaster and failure, as predicted by BF and Brlawyer. I mean, the original iPhone took 3 months to reach that #. So going by some inverse, twisted logic, this is horrible. 

That's the estimate for US alone. Other countries were included in the April 10 preorder, including Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, and the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if the total reached 2 million worldwide.
  • Reply 11 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's the estimate for US alone. Other countries were included in the April 10 preorder, including Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, and the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if the total reached 2 million worldwide.

But you're just some sick Apple Sycophant! :)

• Reply 12 of 137
    sflocal wrote: »

I'm sure the naysayers will be along shortly with their conspiracy theories and FUD in order to cut this estimate down to size. It's what they do.
  • Reply 13 of 137
    Thank you AI for being the only site credible enough to call these estimates! Why do all these "news" organizations treat estimates and speculation as fact???
  • Reply 14 of 137
    Sounds like a pretty decent opening to me. Which means the naysayers in the (much of the) main stream media should be out in force with their new anti Apple-Watch talking points.
  • Reply 15 of 137
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Going on the pervious form of these [S]soothsayers[/S] research companies i will wait till Apple releases real figures on the 27th.
  • Reply 16 of 137
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    If you'll recall I predict the Sport watch sells 5 million for its first full quarter.
  • Reply 17 of 137
    jinspinjinspin Posts: 12member
    These are estimates not including 8 other countries. Also does not include Gold watches which sold out. Margins on Gold are insane and can push ASP much higher with much fewer sales.
    Rumor initial run is 5 million so I predict 2 million US and 3 millions rest of world with China HK Japan taking half of that.
    Raymond James analyst downgraded Apple based on "muted" reviews even though many reviewers said it was BEST smartwatch yet and would buy. Munster said sales would be flop cause supply constraints casting doubt on operations GENIUS TIm Cook. Now who has MUD on their faces! Apple making analysts look foolish for sure.
  • Reply 18 of 137
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jinspin View Post

These are estimates not including 8 other countries. Also does not include Gold watches which sold out. Margins on Gold are insane and can push ASP much higher with much fewer sales.

Rumor initial run is 5 million so I predict 2 million US and 3 millions rest of world with China HK Japan taking half of that.

Raymond James analyst downgraded Apple based on "muted" reviews even though many reviewers said it was BEST smartwatch yet and would buy. Munster said sales would be flop cause supply constraints casting doubt on operations GENIUS TIm Cook. Now who has MUD on their faces! Apple making analysts look foolish for sure.

No one yet... The numbers arent official yet. Secondly they probably said it to get people to sell their shares at a cheaper rate...

• Reply 19 of 137
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    slurpy wrote: »

I've already read the trolls on MR - they're moving the goalposts and now saying the AW needs to have sustained sales to be a success, sales akin to the iPhone but not the iPad. rofl....these jokers will never quit.
  • Reply 20 of 137
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    One million in US on launch day.. for a device that nobody really really needs, is pretty impressive in my eyes. I haven't used a watch since I got my first mobile phone back in the nineties. But Apple made this so delicate, so I actually look forward to go and try it on in a store when it becomes available over here. It's looking damn fine. Good start.